Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I've been elected as President of a club for this upcoming school year, but I've served on the Board before, should I put "Club President" in the title and then the times I am President, or can I start it from when I first joined the Executive Board (2 years ago)
I would list this as Leadership, putting the date span that you served on the board, and name it Board Member of XXX Club. In the narrative, mention that you were a general member of the organization and dates, then discuss your terms and activities as a board member, then lastly that you were elected to serve as president and the future dates of anticipated service.

Members don't see this ad.

1) For my hobbies I am going to use computers, skiing, and paintball. I am going to have computers separate because I have particular things I want to write about. However, I don't have a ton to write about skiing or paintball other than I have done them for a long time consistently. Is combining them appropriate or not? Not including either I have 8 work activities so fitting it should not be a problem.

2) Also, I have written about my research in 1 section and used the entire 1325 characters. I have done a lot in the lab. Is it reasonable to put departmental honors, which includes a thesis on my research and 1 class as a separate activity?
Since you have a lot to say about your computer involvement, it's fine to split them out. Maybe you can think of a few more leisuretime activites you enjoy that could be listed along with the paintball and skiing. Adcomms will like to see that there are day-to-day activities you engage in if there is no readily available mountains or paintball courses.

2) The thesis can be mentioned under Other and the departmental honors accorded (if already received) could be added at the end of the narrative for that same entry. You can refer back to the Research entry so you don't have to explain twice. If the class you refer to was related, you might discuss it in the same location.

Kinda already know the answer to this, but has anyone listed a local scholarship that he or she received senior yr of high school? Should we only be listing scholarships that were received while in college?
If the scholarship was received due to something you did in HS (religious involvement, sport, wrote an essay, congressional application), I wouldn't include it. Exceptions: If it was a merit scholarship, I'd add it to the other Honors and Awards entry. Or if related to something extraordinary. Would you care to elaborate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at my list of work/activities, I see that I don't have any entry under the research/lab category. While I didn't participate in any actual research labs, two of my classes covered research-heavy content.

Research in Kinesiology taught the research process, including hypothesis development, ethical issues, study design, measurement and statistical concepts, and presentation of results.

Lab Techniques in Exercise Physiology taught me actual procedures used in lab research i.e. doppler ultrasound, western blots, etc.

I never participated in research because I wasn't very interested in it, and I didn't want to do it solely for my application. However, several of the schools I'm applying want to see that experience. So, can I use these two classes, or is that too much of a stretch?
Even though these two courses are on yor transcript and their content seems evident, I think it would be fine to list them under Research, name the experience something like, "Overview of Research," or "Preparation for Research." In the narrative explain just as you have above.

Even though these two courses are on yor transcript and their content seems evident, I think it would be fine to list them under Research, name the experience something like, "Overview of Research," or "Preparation for Research." In the narrative explain just as you have above.
You don't think I should be concerned that talking about these two classes unnecessarily exposes a weakness in my application? Or does including this minimal experience outweigh leaving it off and showing nothing at all?

Also, if I do decide to use it, should I put in the description that initially I was not interested in research, but the exposure I gained in class gave me an appreciation for it and made me more open to possible work in the future?

You don't think I should be concerned that talking about these two classes unnecessarily exposes a weakness in my application? Or does including this minimal experience outweigh leaving it off and showing nothing at all?

Also, if I do decide to use it, should I put in the description that initially I was not interested in research, but the exposure I gained in class gave me an appreciation for it and made me more open to possible work in the future?
I'd say it compensates for a deficiency by showing that you had an interest, have gained an understanding, and are potentially ready to take on the real thing. I wouldn't add the "made me more open to possible work in the future" comment. It would leave the expectation that by the time interviews come around, you'd have more activity to report. Having a negative answer for such an inquiry wouldn't reflect well. Showing that you've gained a basic comprehension of the process is a good thing and essential for a greater understanding of future journal articles you'll be reading for the rest of your professional career. Leave it at that unless you're brave enough to state that you have no interest in furthering your acquaintance with a lab.

You might give thought to possibly getting involved in clinical research if a lab setting doesn't appeal to you.

I'd say it compensates for a deficiency by showing that you had an interest, have gained an understanding, and are potentially ready to take on the real thing. I wouldn't add the "made me more open to possible work in the future" comment. It would leave the expectation that by the time interviews come around, you'd have more activity to report. Having a negative answer for such an inquiry wouldn't reflect well. Showing that you've gained a basic comprehension of the process is a good thing and essential for a greater understanding of future journal articles you'll be reading for the rest of your professional career. Leave it at that unless you're brave enough to state that you have no interest in furthering your acquaintance with a lab.

You might give thought to possibly getting involved in clinical research if a lab setting doesn't appeal to you.
It sounds like if I word the description correctly, this can enhance my application. So, I'm going to work on that.

On a side note, but still related to research, should I add anything about participating in multiple clinical research studies as a participant? I did three week-long studies in college testing investigational medications. Of course, the large stipend was what I was primarily interested in, but I definitely learned more about the research process. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the great advice!

One more thing...

As I have already finished college and am currently living back at home in rural Wisconsin, the possibilities of getting involved in a lab or clinical research before interview time are quite slim. If a question comes in during an interview, would it be acceptable to explain how I have a basic comprehension of the process and techniques without any actual experience?

should I add anything about participating in multiple clinical research studies as a participant? I did three week-long studies in college testing investigational medications. Of course, the large stipend was what I was primarily interested in, but I definitely learned more about the research process. Any suggestions?
You could list it under Employment, grouping it with other Short-Term Employment. But it sounds like fluff to me.

One more thing...

As I have already finished college and am currently living back at home in rural Wisconsin, the possibilities of getting involved in a lab or clinical research before interview time are quite slim. If a question comes in during an interview, would it be acceptable to explain how I have a basic comprehension of the process and techniques without any actual experience?
That would be an honest answer. The fact that you have no local resource for gaining a research experience could also be mentioned as a legitimate excuse.

Sometimes research opportunities are available though a community college. You might try doing an on-line search for your local CC and checking out the faculty for current projects. Or call the pre-health advising office of such an institution and ask if opportunities are available. You might even be able to find a job using the skills you've learned (testing milk, meat, or local water quality comes to mind).

Ok, I haven't had any luck getting feedback on my first two questions, so hopefully the third time is a charm.

In an effort to create space for a new research experience, I am thinking about combining my 3 poster abstracts with a journal publication.

- publication in Journal of Biological Chemistry (2nd author)
- 1 poster is for the American Urological Association Conference (4th author)
- 2 accepted poster abstracts for Society of Neuroscience Conference

My concern is that the publication has much more weight than the posters (which I didn't even present).

Does anyone not advise just lumping them all in one entry and listing them based on where my name appears closest to first author?? or would they need to be in chronological order??

DESPERATELY NEED OPINIONS!!

Ok, I haven't had any luck getting feedback on my first two questions, so hopefully the third time is a charm.

Sorry, Catalystic. I didn't see that you actually answered my questions before I started writing. Thank you so much!!

Sorry, Catalystic. I didn't see that you actually answered my questions before I started writing. Thank you so much!!
Consider deleting the above post, as mods strongly discourage duplicate posts. (Remove all but a period then save.)

The answer to your additional question is buried up there somewhere, too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about listing employment. I had three jobs in college:

- . Edmunds & Company Log Home Restoration.
. Summers June 2003 – August 2006 ~32 hrs/week.
Laborer - construction job for restoring and refinishing rotting log buildings

- UW Foundation Telefund
.August 2005 – May 2006 ~10.5 hrs/week.
Fundraiser - calling alumni for donations to the university

- .American Eagle.
. August 2006 – October 2006 ~15 hrs/week.
Sales associate - cashiering, cleaning fitting rooms, restocking sales floor

How should I present these? What qualifies under the "Short-term employment" title? Edmunds was four years, but only in the summer for several weeks at a time. Telefund was almost a year. I quit American Eagle after three months because I didn't need the money and I defnitely was not destined for a career in retail.

I was thinking about leaving Edmunds seperate, but grouping Telefund and AE because they both deal with interpersonal skills and communication. Any suggestions?

In a seperate thought...

What is the consensus for listing scholarships won senior year of high school?

· Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship - $2250/year for 4 years
· Elks Scholarship - $1000/year for 4 years
· Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Scholarship - $1000/year for 4 years
· Thelma E. Aaby Memorial Scholarship - $1000
.Academic Excellence was for being valedictorian. The others were based on academics, leadership, community service, and extracurriculars. .The only other award I recieved in college was Dean's list (6 times - should I list the actual semesters?).

Thanks in advance!!

1) I have a question about listing employment. I had three jobs in college:

- .Edmunds & Company Log Home Restoration.
.Summers June 2003 – August 2006 ~32 hrs/week.
Laborer - construction job for restoring and refinishing rotting log buildings

- UW Foundation Telefund
.August 2005 – May 2006 ~10.5 hrs/week.
Fundraiser - calling alumni for donations to the university

- .American Eagle.
.August 2006 – October 2006 ~15 hrs/week.
Sales associate - cashiering, cleaning fitting rooms, restocking sales floor

How should I present these? What qualifies under the "Short-term employment" title? Edmunds was four years, but only in the summer for several weeks at a time. Telefund was almost a year. I quit American Eagle after three months because I didn't need the money and I defnitely was not destined for a career in retail.

I was thinking about leaving Edmunds seperate, but grouping Telefund and AE because they both deal with interpersonal skills and communication. Any suggestions?

2) What is the consensus for listing scholarships won senior year of high school?

· Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship - $2250/year for 4 years
· Elks Scholarship - $1000/year for 4 years
· Thrivent Financial for Lutherans Scholarship - $1000/year for 4 years
· Thelma E. Aaby Memorial Scholarship - $1000
.Academic Excellence was for being valedictorian. The others were based on academics, leadership, community service, and extracurriculars. .The only other award I recieved in college was Dean's list (6 times - should I list the actual semesters?).
1) If you have the space, list them separately, since they're so different. Otherwise, put them together or split them as you wish.

2) Any merit or multiyear scholarship is fine to list. If you won one for religious qualities, sport qualities, or writing an essay, consider omitting it from the list unless it relates to something you also did in college or to something extraordinary.

Just say you were on the Dean's list 6 times, if you wish, as your transcript makes apparent what your grades were. And include it in the same space as the above.

1) If you have the space, list them separately, since they're so different. Otherwise, put them together or split them as you wish.

2) Any merit or multiyear scholarship is fine to list. If you won one for religious qualities, sport qualities, or writing an essay, consider omitting it from the list unless it relates to something you also did in college or to something extraordinary.

Just say you were on the Dean's list 6 times, if you wish, as your transcript makes apparent what your grades were. And include it in the same space as the above.
Do I risk having the adcoms skim if the entry looks like this:

Experience Type: Paid Employment - Not-military

Experience Name: Work During College

· Edmunds & Company Log Home Restoration
.o .Summers June 2003 – August 2006 ~32 hrs/week
.o .Laborer
.o .Worked for a log crew that specializes in the restoring and refinishing of rotting log buildings. As a laborer, I had experience with tear-out, log preparation (i.e. grinding, sanding, planing), and finishing logs.
· UW Foundation Telefund
.o .August 2005 – May 2006 ~10.5 hrs/week
.o .Fundraiser
.o .Called alumni to raise money for the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Working at the Telefund definitely improved my communication skills. Quickly building rapport was essential for successfully receiving a donation. Handling objections was another skill I gained through this job.
· American Eagle
.o .August 2006 – October 2006 ~15 hrs/week
.o .Sales Associate
.o .I improved my interpersonal skills working with customers. My position required attention to detail in keeping the store neat and organized.

Including additional contact info for each entry, I can still keep the description under 1350 characters. The only reason I would combine them all is that I already have 15 entries - combining makes it 13.

Last edited:
Do I risk having the adcoms skim if the entry looks like this:

Experience Type: Paid Employment - Not-military

Experience Name: Work During College

· Edmunds & Company Log Home Restoration
.o .Summers June 2003 – August 2006 ~32 hrs/week
.o .Laborer
.o .Worked for a log crew that specializes in the restoring and refinishing of rotting log buildings. As a laborer, I had experience with tear-out, log preparation (i.e. grinding, sanding, planing), and finishing logs.
· UW Foundation Telefund
.o .August 2005 – May 2006 ~10.5 hrs/week
.o .Fundraiser
.o .Called alumni to raise money for the University of Wisconsin – Madison. Working at the Telefund definitely improved my communication skills. Quickly building rapport was essential for successfully receiving a donation. Handling objections was another skill I gained through this job.
· American Eagle
.o .August 2006 – October 2006 ~15 hrs/week
.o .Sales Associate
.o .I improved my interpersonal skills working with customers. My position required attention to detail in keeping the store neat and organized.

Including additional contact info for each entry, I can still keep the description under 1350 characters. The only reason I would combine them all is that I already have 15 entries - combining makes it 13.
Perfect! Keeping it succinct makes skimming less likely.

Thanks for the above advice, catalystik.

If I've worked for two consecutive summers at the same location, doing the same thing, would you suggest I put:

Start date: May 2006
End date: August 2007
Hrs/wk: 40

And just add a line in my description making it clear that I only worked during the two summers encompassed in that time span, or average the total number of hours over the total time period (=~16 hrs/wk)?

I ask because LizzyM once noted someone doing the above (without clarification I assume), and took issue with the appearance that they worked 40 hrs/wk year-round.

Thanks for the above advice, catalystik.

If I've worked for two consecutive summers at the same location, doing the same thing, would you suggest I put:

Start date: May 2006
End date: August 2007
Hrs/wk: 40

a) And just add a line in my description making it clear that I only worked during the two summers encompassed in that time span, or
b) average the total number of hours over the total time period (=~16 hrs/wk)?

I ask because LizzyM once noted someone doing the above (without clarification I assume), and took issue with the appearance that they worked 40 hrs/wk year-round.
a) If you use this approach, I'd add a further clarifier, like naming it Summer Employment, besides speciying the true dates intended for each year.

b) This could be done too, but also misrepresents the intensity of the seasonal work hours until the description is read.

c) Another option would be to list one summer only by the most recent date span, and then add in the narrative that you also worked Summer #2 with another date span.

d) You can see that none of these is ideal. A fourth option, which is least likely to be misinterpreted, is to list each work activity on its own, using two spaces, which seems wasteful if space is tight.

e) Also consider leaving the hours per week unspecified in the header and just mentioning it in the narrative.

I have another employment entry question. When I moved back to my parents' house after graduation, I went back to working on the family farm. I'm not actually getting paid for my work - it's more of an exchange for having a place to live. Should I still classify this as "Paid Employment - Not-military"? Here is the description from my CV:

· Anathoth Community Farm
.o .June 2009 - present
.o .Assistant Livestock Manager
.o .Laborer
.Care for the steers and pigs. Tasks include building fences, feeding, medical treatment, and butchering, as well as helping on my parents' two acre organic farm. This has increased my knowledge about the importance of local, healthy, natural produce and grass-fed beef and pork. .

Should I add any more insight? I'm going for a combo of resume descriptions and added reflection.

i think its alright. maybe say "proficiency" instead...

i think its alright. maybe say "proficiency" instead...

Can I list clinical research under the "Research/lab" category or is that category intended for actual lab research?

it would definitely go under research.

Would it be appropriate to include as an activity being a father? I am a father of three girls, two of which were born during my undergrad years, so Ive been a little busy with taking care of kids. With having one daughter during my freshman and half my soph year I was able to be in two clubs and do a lot of ECs, but after the birth of my second daughter in Feb 2009 (soph year) and my third daughter in Dec 2009 (junior year) I have had to focus on family and school and had to even work 35 hours a week from April 2009 to April 2010 to make ends meet, and quit in time to start to study for the MCAT. I am an Army Veteran and have some ECs and alot of awards to list but was thinking of putting that in there since I do identify myself as a father above most other things and Im sure it would be a surprise for the adcomms to see it listed there.
Would do you think?

a) If you use this approach, I'd add a further clarifier, like naming it Summer Employment, besides speciying the true dates intended for each year.

b) This could be done too, but also misrepresents the intensity of the seasonal work hours until the description is read.

c) Another option would be to list one summer only by the most recent date span, and then add in the narrative that you also worked Summer #2 with another date span.

d) You can see that none of these is ideal. A fourth option, which is least likely to be misinterpreted, is to list each work activity on its own, using two spaces, which seems wasteful if space is tight.

e) Also consider leaving the hours per week unspecified in the header and just mentioning it in the narrative.

Thanks. Ended up having extra spaces, so just broke it up into two separate entries.

Final questions (hopefully):

A) I have an entry for a program that I took part in, but my description of the program itself runs fairly long, so I didn't elaborate on community service that was done as a requirement aside from mentioning that it was done. I could elaborate in this entry, but I feel like it's long enough that no one will read that far.

Is it okay to start a new entry specifically for the community service, and just make it clear in the free text that it was done as part of the program/club?

B) If it is okay to do this, and I want to cram a variety of different activities in one entry (one or two events each with multiple organizations), should I just put the head of the program for contact info (even though they likely won't know since much of it was done independently)?

...or should this all be left out entirely?

Last edited:
I received an academic award for "demonstrating expertise" in a certain field. Would I come off as cocky and/or overconfident if I listed that in the awards section (that I received the award for demonstrating expertise)? Or should I just write academic achievement and leave it at that? I don't want to come off as cocky lol.
You aren't going to come across as cocky if the award was given for "expertise". I think it's fine to use whatever words the award letter used when citing it. When referring to having gotten the award, using the word "proficiency" is a nice downplay.

You aren't going to come across as cocky if the award was given for "expertise". I think it's fine to use whatever words the award letter used when citing it. When referring to having gotten the award, using the word "proficiency" is a nice downplay.

Downplay in a good way, right? lol. Thanks.

I have another employment entry question. When I moved back to my parents' house after graduation, I went back to working on the family farm. I'm not actually getting paid for my work - it's more of an exchange for having a place to live. Should I still classify this as "Paid Employment - Not-military"? Here is the description from my CV:

· Anathoth Community Farm
.o .June 2009 - present
.o .Assistant Livestock Manager
.o .Laborer
.Care for the steers and pigs. Tasks include building fences, feeding, medical treatment, and butchering, as well as helping on my parents’ two acre organic farm. This has increased my knowledge about the importance of local, healthy, natural produce and grass-fed beef and pork. .

Should I add any more insight? I'm going for a combo of resume descriptions and added reflection.
To my mind it is still paid employment, due to the provision of food and housing. You might also list it under Other, if you prefer.

If you have space for more insights, you might go into more detail about the "medical treatment" provided to the livestock.

Would it be appropriate to include as an activity being a father? I am a father of three girls, two of which were born during my undergrad years, so Ive been a little busy with taking care of kids. With having one daughter during my freshman and half my soph year I was able to be in two clubs and do a lot of ECs, but after the birth of my second daughter in Feb 2009 (soph year) and my third daughter in Dec 2009 (junior year) I have had to focus on family and school and had to even work 35 hours a week from April 2009 to April 2010 to make ends meet, and quit in time to start to study for the MCAT. I am an Army Veteran and have some ECs and alot of awards to list but was thinking of putting that in there since I do identify myself as a father above most other things and Im sure it would be a surprise for the adcomms to see it listed there.
Would do you think?
I recall discussion of this issue in the Nontraditional Forum that you might Search out to better consider the pros and cons. It's my opinion that including it under Other to detail your family obligations helps an adcomm to understand how busy you are and why your ECs might not be as ample as those of traditional applicants. Others feel it is a distraction without bearing on your application that might raise the issue of, What will your family do without you when you're at the school and library for 15 hours a day? What if there is a crisis woth one of your children? Tell us about your family support? Etc.

Not that your time in the Army wasn't sufficiently alttruistic, but just so you know: Any time you volunteer doing things with your kids through an organization or their daycare could be considered nonmedical volunteerism (soccer, scouts, fieldtrips, etc).

A) I have an entry for a program that I took part in, but my description of the program itself runs fairly long, so I didn't elaborate on community service that was done as a requirement aside from mentioning that it was done. I could elaborate in this entry, but I feel like it's long enough that no one will read that far.

Is it okay to start a new entry specifically for the community service, and just make it clear in the free text that it was done as part of the program/club?

B) If it is okay to do this, and I want to cram a variety of different activities in one entry (one or two events each with multiple organizations), should I just put the head of the program for contact info (even though they likely won't know since much of it was done independently)?

...or should this all be left out entirely?
A) It's fine to break it into two listings, as you describe.

B) It's OK to use the head of the program or one of the club/program officers who might be more aware of your specific contributions.

I have a couple questions:

1. I worked as a sales associate at the Gap the summer before college and at Victorias Secret the summer between my first and second years. I don't mind the Gap, but does Victoria's Secret seem silly to put on my app, especially since I have another sales associate position listed?

2. I was a TA for a lab portion of a class. Who would I put down as the contact?

.This thread has helped me so much! Thank you!.

.I have some questions though:.
.I have worked on 4 research projects. 2 were in the same lab, so I was going to group those together. All of my projects have resulted in presentations at conferences and less important on campus events (oral and poster presentations given by me) and abstract publications (1st author). I also have one 1st author journal publication, and one not as significant in house publication..
.In terms of ordering this on my ECs, should I-.

.1) Make a separate entry for each research project (grouping the 2 that were in the same lab) and include the presentations and publications that resulted from each at the end of the main ‘research' entry.
.2) Write research entries describing the projects and my roles, make a separate ‘publications' entry and list all of my publications, and a seperate ‘presentations' entry listing all the presentations.
.3) Do the same as #2, but only put the publication and conference presentations (the more significant things) as separate entries (and put the less significant presentations and pub at the end of the ‘research' entry).
.4) A combo?.

Thank you so much for your help! I thought I should separate them all, since AMCAS includes specific categories, but then I thought it might not be so good, as it might seem I'm putting the same experience down in 3 different spots…

To my mind it is still paid employment, due to the provision of food and housing. You might also list it under Other, if you prefer.

If you have space for more insights, you might go into more detail about the "medical treatment" provided to the livestock.

With the majority of my activities, I have decided to go the reflective paragraph route. Does this entry seem at all relevant, or will the adcoms glaze over and think I'm applying to vet school?

" .I look after five steers and four pigs. In addition to fence maintenance and feeding, I am responsible for the health of the herd. This being our first experience raising livestock, we were caught off-guard by disease early on. After the first calf died, the veterinarian prescribed antibiotics for the remaining animals. I assisted with medication administration and tube feeding when two other calves got sick. Months later, I treated an ankle laceration after our Holstein put his leg through the wall of the barn. Recently, my father discovered a large abdominal mass on one of the pigs. After a physical exam and web search delivered inconclusive results, I can only hope that it is easier to make diagnoses when the patient can talk. Butchering the pigs last year was a new challenge, and I found myself repeatedly sidetracked comparing porcine and human anatomy.."

Last edited:
Another question: What do you think about my research entry in terms of wordiness and reflection? I understand that the adcoms know the steps of the research process, but I wanted to convey that I covered everything except for actually carrying out the methods section.

Research – Foundation for Research .
o .September 2008 – December 2008
.o .Contact: Dr. Ann Ward (330) & Dr. William Schrage (614)

.o .Kinesiology 330 (Research in Kinesiology) - The semester-long project was to design a study and include all the steps except for actually carrying out the methods section. This involved an introduction and literature review; problem statement and hypothesis; peer review; methods; measurement and statistical analysis; discussion; and study presentation.
o .Kinesiology 614 (Lab Techniques in Exercise Physiology) taught me actual procedures used in lab research, including gel electrophoresis; measuring blood flow with doppler ultrasound; and western blotting.

.While I didn't participate in any actual research labs, two of my classes covered research-heavy content. Initially, I was not drawn to research. However, the exposure I gained in class gave me a real appreciation for it, and I now feel ready to take on the real thing. Most importantly, developing a basic comprehension of the process was essential for a greater understanding of future journal articles I will be reading for the rest of my professional career..

Last edited:
.I have worked on 4 research projects. 2 were in the same lab, so I was going to group those together. All of my projects have resulted in presentations at conferences and less important on campus events (oral and poster presentations given by me) and abstract publications (1st author). I also have one 1st author journal publication, and one not as significant in house publication..
.In terms of ordering this on my ECs, should I-.

.1) Make a separate entry for each research project (grouping the 2 that were in the same lab) and include the presentations and publications that resulted from each at the end of the main ‘research’ entry.
.2) Write research entries describing the projects and my roles, make a separate ‘publications’ entry and list all of my publications, and a seperate ‘presentations’ entry listing all the presentations.
.3) Do the same as #2, but only put the publication and conference presentations (the more significant things) as separate entries (and put the less significant presentations and pub at the end of the ‘research’ entry).
.4) A combo?.

Thank you so much for your help! I thought I should separate them all, since AMCAS includes specific categories, but then I thought it might not be so good, as it might seem I’m putting the same experience down in 3 different spots…
Do what you said in #1, but then give a separate listing to the highest level of accomplishment for each project IF it resulted in a
1) publication in a national paper journal (highest achievable goal, even if it was an abstract) or
2) a presentation at a national or regional conference (second best) or
3) a poster at a national or regional conference that you authored (third best).

Any in-house/campus pub, poster, or presentation should be mentioned at the end of the Research section and not in its own space. The published abstract can have its own space if it was in a paper journal and is searchable, and wasn't the same project that resulted in the national paper full-length pub, but then you would not have a separate listing under Presentation or Poster for that project.

Feel free to add more detail if I didn't cover your situation.

With the majority of my activities, I have decided to go the reflective paragraph route. Does this entry seem at all relevant, or will the adcoms glaze over and think I'm applying to vet school?

" .I look after five steers and four pigs. In addition to fence maintenance and feeding, I am responsible for the health of the herd. This being our first experience raising livestock, we were caught off-guard by disease early on. After the first calf died, the veterinarian prescribed antibiotics for the remaining animals. I assisted with medication administration and tube feeding when two other calves got sick. Months later, I treated an ankle laceration after our Holstein put his leg through the wall of the barn. Recently, my father discovered a large abdominal mass on one of the pigs. After a physical exam and web search delivered inconclusive results, I can only hope that it is easier to make diagnoses when the patient can talk. Butchering the pigs last year was a new challenge, and I found myself repeatedly sidetracked comparing porcine and human anatomy.."
I like it, but make clear it is a family business if you are concerned about coming across as pre-vet, such as, "This being my family's first experience raising livestock, . . ."

What do you think about my research entry in terms of wordiness and reflection? I understand that the adcoms know the steps of the research process, but I wanted to convey that I covered everything except for actually carrying out the methods section.

Research – Foundation for Research
.o .September 2008 – December 2008
.o .Contact: Dr. Ann Ward (330) & Dr. William Schrage (614)

.o .Kinesiology 330 (Research in Kinesiology) - The semester-long project was to design a study and include all the steps except for actually carrying out the methods section. This involved an introduction and literature review; problem statement and hypothesis; peer review; methods; measurement and statistical analysis; discussion; and study presentation.

.o .Kinesiology 614 (Lab Techniques in Exercise Physiology) taught me actual procedures used in lab research, including gel electrophoresis; measuring blood flow with doppler ultrasound; and western blotting.

.While I didn't participate in any actual research labs, two of my classes covered research-heavy content. Initially, I was not drawn to research. However, the exposure I gained in class gave me a real appreciation for it, and I now feel ready to take on the real thing. Most importantly, developing a basic comprehension of the process was essential for a greater understanding of future journal articles I will be reading for the rest of my professional career..
This is fine.

Thanks for the advice Catalystik! One last question- I was lucky enough to do some timely social science research (on cyber-bullying) that was cited in a few news articles. It was only in the local paper... but I do live in a big city. Is this good enough to include in my list of awards/honors? Or should I tack it on to the end of the main 'research' entry describing the cyber-bullying research? or should I not include it?

Thanks for the advice Catalystik! One last question- I was lucky enough to do some timely social science research (on cyber-bullying) that was cited in a few news articles. It was only in the local paper... but I do live in a big city. Is this good enough to include in my list of awards/honors? Or should I tack it on to the end of the main 'research' entry describing the cyber-bullying research? or should I not include it?
Iwould include it. I think it would best be mentioned at the end of the narrative describing the research. If you have a link to an on-line article in one of the newspapers, add it.

Hi Catalystik,

I worked in two different restaurants over the summer after senior year of high school and freshman year. Do I include either?

Also, I presented the same research poster (first author) at 3 conferences (1 national; was award travel scholarship if it means anything; 2 school conferences). How should I list this?

Thank you

1) I worked in two different restaurants over the summer after senior year of high school and freshman year. Do I include either?

2) Also, I presented the same research poster (first author) at 3 conferences (1 national; was award travel scholarship if it means anything; 2 school conferences). How should I list this?
1) If you have space, include them in one spot, as customer service postions have relevance to medicine.

2) Only list the national conference poster under Presentations/Posters (and it's fine to mention the travel stipend yo were awarded). Mention the other two presentations at the end of the Research narrative, if you wish.

How necessary is it to put contact information?

I was an event coordinator for Relay For Life at my school. I only worked closely with merchants and the president of the RFL at my school. Since then, he's graduated and we've lost contact. Should I still put his name down?

How necessary is it to put contact information?

I was an event coordinator for Relay For Life at my school. I only worked closely with merchants and the president of the RFL at my school. Since then, he's graduated and we've lost contact. Should I still put his name down?
If there's no one besides the ex-president who could vouch for you, then list him, but put in parentheses "(graduated)." And contact info-"unknown."

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm planning to list my hobbies like running, rock climbing, pilates, and tennis because these activities have been a huge part of me learning self-discipline. Would I have to fill out contact info for these? Or would it just be n/a?

Thanks for the quick response!

I'm planning to list my hobbies like running, rock climbing, pilates, and tennis because these activities have been a huge part of me learning self-discipline. Would I have to fill out contact info for these? Or would it just be n/a?
No contact information is needed for Hobbies.

For hobbies - if I plan on listing a few into one combined section should I write about each one a little bit or is it okay to just list them.

For hobbies - if I plan on listing a few into one combined section should I write about each one a little bit or is it okay to just list them.
It's fine to just list them, unless the nature of the activity isn't evident to the average person from the name (eg, dragon boating). I'd add a bit more if you ever competed (love to cook, won first prize at country fair for cookie recipe), or if you used the hobby to do more (eg, love to knit, worked with a group that sent afghans to soldiers or love to run, completed a half marathon in Chicago 5/10).

During college I was the naive premed who thinks just because you are working at a hospital, you are having a meaningful experience. I wasted like 6 months working at an eye clinic at the hospital, but my duties were to shred paper, bring documents from the document office, check the doctor's mail, file patient charts. One time I got to measure a contact lens' power, and one time I got to see the doctor perform an eye exam. I feel totally taken advantage of, because i basically provided free labor and didnt learn anything about patient care. So should i list this in my activities?
I cant imagine saying at the interview "I measured a contact lens and it was the most amazing experience that shaped my decision"
sorry i know you dont measure a contact lens, i cant come up with the right verb now

During college I was the naive premed who thinks just because you are working at a hospital, you are having a meaningful experience. I wasted like 6 months working at an eye clinic at the hospital, but my duties were to shred paper, bring documents from the document office, check the doctor's mail, file patient charts. One time I got to measure a contact lens' power, and one time I got to see the doctor perform an eye exam. I feel totally taken advantage of, because i basically provided free labor and didnt learn anything about patient care. So should i list this in my activities?
I cant imagine saying at the interview "I measured a contact lens and it was the most amazing experience that shaped my decision"
sorry i know you dont measure a contact lens, i cant come up with the right verb now
While this activity wasn't clinical experience, it would still qualify as Volunteer-not Medical/Clinical. And maybe 20 minutes of physician shadowing. Measuring the refraction of a contact lens wouldn't qualify as either, but I'm sure it was interesting to learn how they do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.