Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, quick question:

i've got two big volunteer activities coming up, but i really need to get my app in soon. I'll be starting at the free clinic downtown helping patients check in and handle paperwork and also teaching CPR/First Aid for the Red Cross. Both orientations are this week, but I need to have my application submitted this weekend due to what I was told about the timeline of my MCAT scores (I took it 3 years ago july 13, so i was told by the admissions at WSU I had to apply by then).

Can I list both of these on my work/activities section? I was thinking to put a description of what my position will be and when I'll be doing my orientation? These are things that, by the time my primary actually gets to the school, i'll have already started.
I would save it for an update letter that you send in later, as soon as the time you submit the Secondary, if you feel it critical to your application. Future events should not be listed on the application. If you are found to be overly-creative with an entry in the manner you suggest, it will call into question the legitimacy of your other entries. It isn't worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a good idea to include under "Publications" non-science related publications? For example, I published a critical research essay on Oscar Wilde in my university's literary journal. I consider it a great accomplishment and it highlights my writing ability, but is this category meant specifically for scientific research?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a good idea to include under "Publications" non-science related publications? For example, I published a critical research essay on Oscar Wilde in my university's literary journal. I consider it a great accomplishment and it highlights my writing ability, but is this category meant specifically for scientific research?
Had your essay appeared in a national or regional literary (paper) publication , I'd have said to include it under Publications. Since it was published in a campus journal, you might mention this accomplishment elsewhere, like under Other, or at the end of an entry about writing as a Hobby or Artistic Endeavor.

Another quick question, should we write what we learned from volunteering? Or just put what we did?

I would save it for an update letter that you send in later, as soon as the time you submit the Secondary, if you feel it critical to your application. Future events should not be listed on the application. If you are found to be overly-creative with an entry in the manner you suggest, it will call into question the legitimacy of your other entries. It isn't worth it.

good point, i guess i was just concerned that having these experiences could be the difference between an interview invite or not. but i'll hold off and send an update perhaps in late sept if I've yet to interview by then. Good course of action?

Another quick question, should we write what we learned from volunteering? Or just put what we did?

i'm having a similar issue with this as a lot of the "what i learned" components of my volunteering and hospital time are the key components to my personal comments and I dont want to reiterate everything. so far i've tried to limit the work/activities descriptions of the overlapping events to details and such of what was involved and used the personal comments to expand on more intimate aspects.

Last edited:

i'm having a similar issue with this as a lot of the "what i learned" components of my volunteering and hospital time are the key components to my personal comments and I dont want to reiterate everything.
Personally, I feel the best approach is to say what you did and keep the introspection to a minimum, especially if you already touched on that in the PS. However, some school websites reportedly advise you to put in some fluffy, "What did it mean to you," or "Tell what you learned" narrative. I've never seen this in print myself. I'd hope it's a minimal number of schools. But because schools vary in the approach they prefer, a solid recommendation on style can't be made. So do what feels right to you. But keep it as succinct as possible.

Question

For one research project I worked on, we have 2 abstracts( 1 poster and one oral presentation) and 1 publication. It is all for the same topic/work

So, I am including the publication in its own category. For this, in the experience description, should i talk about the paper?

Should I put the abstracts in the experience description of where I talked about the research? The presentations were for two different meetings, but it was essential the same work. also, i didn't attend any of these either, i am only listed as an author.

Also, should I mention the publication again in the description of the research activity?

good point, i guess i was just concerned that having these experiences could be the difference between an interview invite or not. but i'll hold off and send an update perhaps in late sept if I've yet to interview by then. Good course of action?
If you have little other clinical experience, which is hard to imagine for someone whose MCAT is already expiring for some schools, then send in the update sooner, like a month from now, as you won't have much, if any, chance without it. If this summer's involvement will just be beefing up previously acquired clinical experience, then September would be fine.

For one research project I worked on, we have 2 abstracts( 1 poster and one oral presentation) and 1 publication. It is all for the same topic/work

So, I am including the publication in its own category.

Should I put the abstracts in the experience description of where I talked about the research? The presentations were for two different meetings, but it was essential the same work. also, i didn't attend any of these either, i am only listed as an author.

Also, should I mention the publication again in the description of the research activity?
I would list the Research, including your contribution, mentioning the abstracts at the end (I assume the abstracts were put in the conference publication, and not a national paper journal) and that you were an author of a poster seen at XXXX conference in XXXX City, on XX/XX/XX date. And that the work was also presented at XXXX Conference by XXXX, in XXXX City, on XX/XX/XX date.

I would list the Publication on its own. Give the citation in the free-text space.

Alternatively, if you are very short on space in the Research listing, you could aslo put the mention of the poster and presentation in that same space, saying that the same data in the pub was ........(as above).

If you have little other clinical experience, which is hard to imagine for someone whose MCAT is already expiring for some schools, then send in the update sooner, like a month from now, as you won't have much, if any, chance without it. If this summer's involvement will just be beefing up previously acquired clinical experience, then September would be fine.

I have spent a year volunteering in the ER at the local children's hospital and shadowed a few physicians. But I applied last year and the only real weakness the dean of admissions at WSU could think of was that i might need more clinical experience. By mid-late sept. i should have plenty of experiences from the cpr course and free clinic to update them with, but isn't it a matter of making sure it's in before they present me to review board? i guess i should add that WSU is my first choice school and this past year i was interviewed and wait listed and from the emails i've received from the admissions office i'm gonna end up being just a few spots from getting accepted this year.

I would list the Research, including your contribution, mentioning the abstracts at the end (I assume the abstracts were put in the conference publication, and not a national paper journal) and that you were an author of a poster seen at XXXX conference in XXXX City, on XX/XX/XX date. And that the work was also presented at XXXX Conference by XXXX, in XXXX City, on XX/XX/XX date.

I would list the Publication on its own. Give the citation in the free-text space.

Alternatively, if you are very short on space in the Research listing, you could aslo put the mention of the poster and presentation in that same space, saying that the same data in the pub was ........(as above).

Thank you for your help!
Following up on that, for the publication, do i need to explain the study/findings after the citation?

Also, for the abstracts, should i say what author position I am in? Such as " I was fourth author at a poster seen at xxxx"?

One last question regarding another abstract I have: I presented a poster a conference and that abstract was published its in national journal in the back as supplemental. If you were to look at pubmed, you wouldn't be able to find it if you typed in my name, but if you were looking for abstracts presented at the conference and you had the abstract #, it would be on pubmed...
should i list this also publication? or under presentations/posters?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Quick question... I've tutored and TA-ed a lot of classes in college... I'm wondering how I put this on my app. Specifically, where do I put the TA-ing?

Also... for the descriptions do we have to put it in complete sentences or just like:

Chemistry I tutor - Spring 2008-Spring 2009
etc....

Thanks!!

Hey all,

Quick question... I've tutored and TA-ed a lot of classes in college... I'm wondering how I put this on my app. Specifically, where do I put the TA-ing?

Also... for the descriptions do we have to put it in complete sentences or just like:

etc....

Thanks!!

I would classify it under "Teaching/Tutoring" .. you can put it as one experience, and then list all your appointments/experiences in the description.

As for whether to do bullets or full sentences, it's up to you, .. regardless of what you do though, it might be good to actually describe what specifically you did as part of the tutoring, e.g. held weekly office hours, wrote practice exams, held review sessions etc.

Hi guys,

I had two quick questions on listing activities on AMCAS, if anyone can help?!

- How particular do you have to be regarding the hours of activities? I was a little cavalier for some of my activities because I didn't have set hours for the week, and just approximated the total hours/total time .. but didn't actually sit down and calculate. Do adcoms ask for verification on this kind of stuff or ask you for proof? Would they split hairs for example between listing 4 hrs/week and 5 hrs/week? None of my estimates are outrageous or anything, but like I said, I tried my best to average, though it could be slightly lower or higher

- I listed shadowing as an experience on my app .. indicated I started in the end of April to present. I was continuing it when I submitted my app, but I recently found a week ago that my doc accepted another position across the country, and so I won't be able to continue. Would this be a problem that I listed it as continuing? I mean its something I can explain .. just not sure how

Thanks a lot!

1) for the publication, do i need to explain the study/findings after the citation?

2) Also, for the abstracts, should i say what author position I am in? Such as " I was fourth author at a poster seen at xxxx"?

3) One last question regarding another abstract I have: I presented a poster a conference and that abstract was published its in national journal in the back as supplemental. If you were to look at pubmed, you wouldn't be able to find it if you typed in my name, but if you were looking for abstracts presented at the conference and you had the abstract #, it would be on pubmed...
should i list this also publication? or under presentations/posters?
1) You may, but if an adcomm wants to know, it's easy enough to look up from the citation.

2) Many applicants do this.

3) If this abstract, published in a paper national journal, is related to a completely different project than what we've discussed above, then you may cite it in another Publications space. If you give the entire citation, presumably it is findable without your name.

If this is the same project as above, I would mention it in the already-used Publication space after the citation for the full journal article.

1) I've tutored and TA-ed a lot of classes in college... I'm wondering how I put this on my app. Specifically, where do I put the TA-ing?

2) for the descriptions do we have to put it in complete sentences or just like:

1) List both under Teaching. It's fine to group the experiences.

2) You can use bullet points or sentences, whatever seems most suited to what you're describing. Since all adcomms know what tutors do, I don't feel much description is needed.

For tutoring, you could add things like small-group or individual, volunteer or paid, referrals from the Chemistry department or word of mouth or through an ad you placed, volume of clients, etc, to give a flavor of what you did. You might also give your estimate of total hours.

For TA, give enough detail so the range of your responsibilities is clear.

(I belatedly saw that 2050vlsb had already answered you.)

- 1) How particular do you have to be regarding the hours of activities? I was a little cavalier for some of my activities because I didn't have set hours for the week, and just approximated the total hours/total time .. but didn't actually sit down and calculate. Do adcoms ask for verification on this kind of stuff or ask you for proof? Would they split hairs for example between listing 4 hrs/week and 5 hrs/week? None of my estimates are outrageous or anything, but like I said, I tried my best to average, though it could be slightly lower or higher

2) - I listed shadowing as an experience on my app .. indicated I started in the end of April to present. I was continuing it when I submitted my app, but I recently found a week ago that my doc accepted another position across the country, and so I won't be able to continue. Would this be a problem that I listed it as continuing? I mean its something I can explain .. just not sure how
It is rare that you'd be asked for documentation. Just do your best to honestly list the hours you participated in an activity. Your contact (if available) should be able to vouch that your numbers are fairly representative.

2) Adcomms understand that these things happen, which is why they don't much regard anything not already completed. If you had continued the activity, you likely would have sent in an update letter detailing the added hours or mentiond it in an interview conversation. If you have sparse shadowing hours, I suggest you find another doc to take the first one's place, so you can report later on a needed ongoing activity. Maybe doc #1 can suggest another physician who would be open to some shadowing.

I have spent a year volunteering in the ER at the local children's hospital and shadowed a few physicians. But I applied last year and the only real weakness the dean of admissions at WSU could think of was that i might need more clinical experience. By mid-late sept. i should have plenty of experiences from the cpr course and free clinic to update them with, but isn't it a matter of making sure it's in before they present me to review board? i guess i should add that WSU is my first choice school and this past year i was interviewed and wait listed and from the emails i've received from the admissions office i'm gonna end up being just a few spots from getting accepted this year.
Hopefully, you know the approximate first date that the review board meets so you can meet that target time with your letter.

You are a perfect illustration of the need to continue pertinent activities through the application year and send in periodic update letters. I hope you'll continue with beefing up important ECs through this year besides the clinical experience: maybe some more shadowing and nonmedical community service, for example. Or leadership and teaching. Or research. For you it will be even more important to have lots of things to say in those letters, as you don't want to do this a third time.

back in 2004 i shadowed some physicians for about 6 months, during my 1st year in college.
and also i shadowed another physician but starting in 2009....

since i am used up all my 15 experiences, i wanted to group the two experiences together...
what dates should i put?

cuz its really, 01/04-06/04 and then 01/09-present...
what date range should i use?

if i put 01/04-present....do i explain it in the text box?
amcas sort it by start date on the pdf

Last edited:
16 experiences....

which one to throw out

1) Research- lab work for 1 year during my 2nd year of college(2005). did PCR, gel electrophoresis, and DNA analysis
(i have other research experiences, but this starts in my 3rd year of college)

OR

2) Elementary school tutor (only did it for 6 months during my freshmen year...which was in 2004). tutored an immigrant from china on english and math every summer.

i don't know which one to get rid of! :(

If I have written an abstract and presented a poster, am I supposed to send them a copy of my abstract and the file for my poster?

Do you put all of your shadowing under one item? What did you include in the descriptions of your shadowing experiences aside from hours, dates, names of doctors, and the specialties of the doctors? Did you mention specific procedures that you observed, things that you learned, etc.?

Thanks in advance for replies.

back in 2004 i shadowed some physicians for about 6 months, during my 1st year in college.
and also i shadowed another physician but starting in 2009....

since i am used up all my 15 experiences, i wanted to group the two experiences together...
what dates should i put?

cuz its really, 01/04-06/04 and then 01/09-present...
what date range should i use?

if i put 01/04-present....do i explain it in the text box?
amcas sort it by start date on the pdf
I would put the most recent date range and then add the second set of dates in the narrative with pertinent information. Give a grand total for shadowing at the end.

16 experiences....

which one to throw out

1) Research- lab work for 1 year during my 2nd year of college(2005). did PCR, gel electrophoresis, and DNA analysis
(i have other research experiences, but this starts in my 3rd year of college)

OR

2) Elementary school tutor (only did it for 6 months during my freshmen year...which was in 2004). tutored an immigrant from china on english and math every summer.

i don't know which one to get rid of! :(
These are both good things to keep. Can't you group some other experiences so as to include them? Or add one of these two experiences to another Research or Teaching entry?

1) If I have written an abstract and presented a poster, am I supposed to send them a copy of my abstract and the file for my poster?

2) Do you put all of your shadowing under one item? What did you include in the descriptions of your shadowing experiences aside from hours, dates, names of doctors, and the specialties of the doctors? Did you mention specific procedures that you observed, things that you learned, etc.?
1) No. You could put a modified version of the abstract in the Research listing.

2) Yes, list all the shadowing together. Maybe list a contact email or phone number for each physician (could be for their office manager) too. Adcomms know what docs do, so a description of what you saw isn't necessary unless it really stands out in your mind (eg, saw a baby delivered, which is pretty cool).

These are both good things to keep. Can't you group some other experiences so as to include them? Or add one of these two experiences to another Research or Teaching entry?

i could group my research together, but then there is a lag in date, a yr difference, and they are both in different departments.

one is in molecular pharmocology from 01/07 to 06/07
the 2nd one is in pediatric cardiology from 01/05 to 12/05

so, what would i group that together? what would i put in the date range? contact info and organization name? before i had the PI and dept when i had these individually.
and adcoms would be okay with that? i thought they would feel that i was "cheating" like trying to squeeze to many things in. hehe

thank you for you all help! this is soooo helpful.

i could group my research together, but then there is a lag in date, a yr difference, and they are both in different departments.

one is in molecular pharmocology from 01/07 to 06/07
the 2nd one is in pediatric cardiology from 01/05 to 12/05

so, what would i group that together? what would i put in the date range? contact info and organization name? before i had the PI and dept when i had these individually.
and adcoms would be okay with that? i thought they would feel that i was "cheating" like trying to squeeze to many things in.
They are too different to group together. And both are important. What are some other candidates for grouping? Short-term volunteering, shadowing, summer jobs? Hobbies?

They are too different to group together. And both are important. What are some other candidates for grouping? Short-term volunteering, shadowing, summer jobs? Hobbies?

ekkk. =(

I cannot think of what to combine. here is my list if you could help
1) 1 publication
2) abstracts/presentations
3) current job working in drs office
4) childcare volunteer
5) pharmacology research
6)leadership in a student organization
7) costa rica medical mission
8) clinical ped cardiology research + shadowing
9) leadership in student organization
10) hospital volunteer
11) leadership in student organization
12) physician shadowing
13) medical volunteer
14) 2 summers as summer camp counselor.

all these are long term expect for the medical mission

so....#15! debate between tutor or basic science peds cardiology research.

if i do combine...i could combine publications and abstracts/presentation(which there are 4 abstracts)
but we had talked about this earlier...2 our of the 4 is E-published, therefore it was recommended that it shouldn't be classified as a publication.
1 has been presented at teh conference, but not in the jounral yet, and the 4th is a supplemental in a journal.

Last edited:
1) List both under Teaching. It's fine to group the experiences.

2) You can use bullet points or sentences, whatever seems most suited to what you're describing. Since all adcomms know what tutors do, I don't feel much description is needed.

For tutoring, you could add things like small-group or individual, volunteer or paid, referrals from the Chemistry department or word of mouth or through an ad you placed, volume of clients, etc, to give a flavor of what you did. You might also give your estimate of total hours.

For TA, give enough detail so the range of your responsibilities is clear.

(I belatedly saw that 2050vlsb had already answered you.)

Thank you both for the responses. Since the descriptions have a word limit... and I've TA-ed/tutored for over 20 classes... I doubt I'll be able to combine them. So if I understand what you're saying... it would be okay to separate the two.

Also for college leadership, I've held a few leadership positions for the same club... should I title it "[Name_of_Organization] Leadership" and list the positions in the description??

Thanks!!

ekkk. =(

I cannot think of what to combine. here is my list if you could help
1) 1 publication
2) abstracts/presentations
3) current job working in drs office
4) childcare volunteer
5) pharmacology research
6)leadership in a student organization
7) costa rica medical mission
8) clinical ped cardiology research + shadowing
9) leadership in student organization
10) hospital volunteer
11) leadership in student organization
12) physician shadowing
13) medical volunteer
14) 2 summers as summer camp counselor.

all these are long term expect for the medical mission

so....#15! debate between tutor or basic science peds cardiology research.

if i do combine...i could combine publications and abstracts/presentation(which there are 4 abstracts)
but we had talked about this earlier...2 our of the 4 is E-published, therefore it was recommended that it shouldn't be classified as a publication.
1 has been presented at teh conference, but not in the jounral yet, and the 4th is a supplemental in a journal.
How about putting the two leadership in a student org together? Or, take out the childcare volunteer? Or, take the medical mission out and use that experience more in the Personal Statement? Or put hospital volunteer and medical volunteer together? Or lastly, with regret, the Cardiology research, moving the shadowing to the other shadowing entry?

Last edited:
How do most people fill out the "research" portion. In most situation I just don't have the space. I try to include what I did, the research, methods, but it doesn't fit, usually because there are multiple projects in one slot. I have to usually cut out some of those things. For example I'll talk about what I did if I wasn't an integral part of the research (if I was just typing stuff for researchers). If I'm heavily involved (independent research), I'll usually talk about the research itself and what's behind it, with little mention of anything else. What kind of description would they want, because I don't have the space to write about the research, and than go into detail what I did, what methods I used etc for each project.

How do most people fill out the "research" portion. In most situation I just don't have the space. I try to include what I did, the research, methods, but it doesn't fit, usually because there are multiple projects in one slot. I have to usually cut out some of those things. For example I'll talk about what I did if I wasn't an integral part of the research (if I was just typing stuff for researchers). If I'm heavily involved (independent research), I'll usually talk about the research itself and what's behind it, with little mention of anything else. What kind of description would they want, because I don't have the space to write about the research, and than go into detail what I did, what methods I used etc for each project.
This would be an exercize in prioritizing. Put yourself in the average adcomms shoes who isn't going to be particularly savvy about the intricacies of your research. Write down only what is going to enhance your application for the average adcomm, namely, bare-bones explanation and explain what you did. Save the juicy details for interviews if asked. Some of the details could maybe spill out of the research listing into the slots where you discuss your Presentations, Posters, etc. You could take out any abstracts you've mentioned if the same material was made public in a higher format: campus journal publication < campus presentation/poster < e-abstract national journal < published (paper national journal) abstract < poster < presentation < national journal paper publication.

Hey. This thread has been pretty helpful.

I was wondering though... I know we are not supposed to put activities that have yet happened. However, what about existing activities but ones which will change? For example, I am currently in one department of the hospital and will volunteer in another at the end of summer (to get a different experience, see different things). Does it add on anything?

What about as a volunteer to a club? Specifically, my role may change. Similar to a previous post, I may be getting trained in CPR training and would volunteer for my club in a different capacity. Or would this be too "creative"?

much thanks,

I know we are not supposed to put activities that have yet happened. However, what about existing activities but ones which will change? For example, I am currently in one department of the hospital and will volunteer in another at the end of summer (to get a different experience, see different things). Does it add on anything?

What about as a volunteer to a club? Specifically, my role may change. Similar to a previous post, I may be getting trained in CPR training and would volunteer for my club in a different capacity. Or would this be too "creative"?
I would save changing hospital departments and completing a CPR course for an update letter.

If you have been elected to a new office or appointed to a new position within an organization, you can mention that even though the new role hasn't begun.

Aside from the above, it isn't unusual to have a Secondary ask you your plans for the next year. In this essay, you are free to mention all the might-be's, but be prepared to discuss their progress at interviews.

Hopefully, you know the approximate first date that the review board meets so you can meet that target time with your letter.

You are a perfect illustration of the need to continue pertinent activities through the application year and send in periodic update letters. I hope you'll continue with beefing up important ECs through this year besides the clinical experience: maybe some more shadowing and nonmedical community service, for example. Or leadership and teaching. Or research. For you it will be even more important to have lots of things to say in those letters, as you don't want to do this a third time.

I'll have to look into the review board dates. I've actually got a lot of shadowing lined up. My mother is good friends with a PA at Miami Valley ER and I've been following him for a while and getting introduced to more physicians to shadow but it should be 10 hours a week for the foreseeable future. The CPR instructor should be good non-clinical volunteering (which is already my app's biggest strength) and the same for the free clinic.

Also, I guess I'm what you consider non-traditional in that i've been out of school for 2 years now (initially to pursue some research) and am currently between jobs. Would updating them with getting my STNA in a month and looking for a PCT/NA position be helpful as well? I can't see how that would hurt.

BTW, kudos for being such a huge help on this site as a practicing physician, good to see docs that still like to be involved in the admissions mess. all i can think of right now is never having to deal with this process ever again, lol.

A few questions very much related.

In my essay I mention orthopedics and baseball-related injuries. I love the sport and have played all my life and have been a volunteer coach for years and it is the basis of my essay. I discuss how the interest came about, how I want to continue to carry this throughout medicine and how I want to "make a difference/be influential, etc."

The problem is that I have not shadowed an orthopedic surgeon and will not be until the 1st week of August (1 week--50 hours). I have seen orthopedic-related surgeries first hand, but have not follow an orthopedic surgeon for an extended period of time. I also talk about how my older brother, who was a mech. engineer major, did a co-op with an orthopedics company and was given surgery DVDs that I've watched (knee, hip replacements, prosthetics, etc). So I have clinical volunteer experience in an ER, have witness surgeries in an OR and my field related surgeries on video. But I don't have first hand experience with an orthopedic surgeon and my externship doesn't start until August, when my current research internship is over.

So here are my questions:

1. Do I wait until I finish this shadowing, add it into my application and essay and submit after the 1st week of August (can hinder my application chances)?

2. If I choose to submit now, will my essay be looked down upon because I don't have the specific experience, even though I've done everything else (been involved in the sport, had clinical and surgery-viewing expereince, etc)?

3. If I do submit now, how do I had this extenship to my application? Do I edit and add it in on the primary application? Will I have to get verified again? Does it go on the secondary?

Thanks to all who help.

sorry if this is not 100% on topic here - but i was wondering, when you enter a committee letter packet. what do you enter for the title of the committee letter? (is it okay to leave it blank??)

i already named the organization of those who are writing it in the organization slot, so i don't know what more specific information they would need ????

Wow, I cannot believe how helpful this thread is.

I really apologize if this has been asked already.

I have three separate lab experiences, and a publication (just in an in-house college journal, but still, thought I should include it) for each.

My questions:
1) Is it really appropriate to include each publication as its own entry in the list even if they're not that "impressive"--not a "real" publication, just a school journal? (I woudn't be bumping other things to include them--I only have about 12 activities to really put down anyway.)

2) If I do include the publications as separate entries, I am not sure what to put in the description, since I essentially described the research project under the lab experience itself. Should I just literally copy and paste the same explanation (this seems an obvious "no" I would think...)? Or leave it empty?

Thanks in advance for any help..don't know what I'd do without this board;)

Thanks for the response.

I definitely want the experiences themselves to each have their own spot.

So you're saying it might make sense to just put the publication in the description under each experience, instead of making it its own entry?

If I did this, I'd only fill 12-13 spots. Is that a problem?

Hi.. I have some questions related to the activities section

a) I worked with a particular organization over four years in college in various capacities... I first started off as a volunteer (freshman yr), then proceeded to run the program, then proceeded on to a broader (more important) leadership role in the organization. After graduation, I still volunteered for this organization in different capacities (for example, helping raise funds for them, etc).
What do you think about putting the volunteer year as one entry - under community service - medical/clinical and the rest of the experience as a second entry under leadership - other? (This organization is health related.. (i.e., involved serving children with chronic illnesses).. is it right to categorize the volunteer year as as medical/clinical?)

or should I enter all of the above under one entry?

b) In college, I worked several miscellaneous jobs to make ends meet.. I worked around 25-30 hours a week doing random jobs like babysitting, cleaning houses etc. I want to include this so that the adcoms are aware of how much time I was able to spend on ECs, work, schoolwork. Should I just lump all of this together under one entry?

c) I was the president of a student group in college (held large culture shows, sponsored panels, held conferences etc).. should I categorize this as "extracurricular" or put it as "leadership-other?"

d) What exactly is "experience name?" Should I put a relevant "title" in that section? For example, program director or secretary of x organization etc..

I spent the majority of my time doing activity a) in college and I definitely don't fill up 15 activity slots.. I think I have 10 meaningful entries. Is that OK? I hope adcoms don't frown upon the fact that I have less than 15..

Thank you!

Last edited:
Ok, a few more questions coming up as I work through this section...any chance Catalystik, you might be able to weigh in? (Thanks so much for all the time you spend helping us out...I've been reading through past responses and there is so much great info there.)

1) I had two shadowing experiences--one overnight with a pediatric hospitalist on the night shift and one full day at a leprosy clinic. As I read other people's activity lists, I'm starting to feel like it would be ridiculous to include these, since they were so short. I did really enjoy them and thought the leprosy clinic was fascinating...but maybe this is just totally irrelevant to adcoms?

2) I think this may have been addressed already, but just to make sure--I am starting a year long position next week in clinical research but plan to submit my app in a day or two. Should I include this position as an activity or just wait to discuss at the interview?

3) And just again about the lab experiences that also led to publications in my schools in house journal....would it be silly to make these publications their own entry since I have the space anyway, or does it look like padding?

Thanks a million!

i have 10 articles published spread across 3 research experiences. 1 research experience (my first, for a total of four positions) resulted in no publications, only a poster presentation. i'm thinking of listing each position, and including in the details the related publications. however, for my last position, i accumulated the majority (7) of my publications including a book chapter. will this be too dense of an entry?

I'm a little lacking in the research experience. I'm taking part in summer long full-time research internship, but other than than I haven't done any projects/research on my own. I did however, volunteer as a lab assistant on a project in order to learn techniques and gain experience on my own for when I start a project of my own (this summer). In this volunteer lab work, I basically followed along with the project, once a week, watched the techniques being performed, and eventually performed a few, but I never had a substantial individual role/my own project. Should I include this as research experience so my application isn't as lacking in that area.

Note: I'm not looking at a research career but some of the schools I'm looking at are known as "research" schools

For clubs that I was a member in, average hours a week over a 2 period time: do I assume they know that the club didn't meet during holidays/summer? IE if the club met 4 hours a week during the semester, should I put the average hours as 4, or should I count the total hours and divide by 52 to include summers (3 point something :p)?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Would updating them with getting my STNA in a month and looking for a PCT/NA position be helpful as well? I can't see how that would hurt.
It won't hurt, but getting certified and 'planning' to find a job isn't too helpful. I'd wait to mention this until after you've gotten a position and been employed for two months to give it more weight than mere intensions would. JMO.

In my essay I mention orthopedics and baseball-related injuries. I love the sport and have played all my life and have been a volunteer coach for years and it is the basis of my essay. I discuss how the interest came about, how I want to continue to carry this throughout medicine and how I want to "make a difference/be influential, etc."

The problem is that I have not shadowed an orthopedic surgeon and will not be until the 1st week of August (1 week--50 hours). I have seen orthopedic-related surgeries first hand, but have not follow an orthopedic surgeon for an extended period of time. I also talk about how my older brother, who was a mech. engineer major, did a co-op with an orthopedics company and was given surgery DVDs that I've watched (knee, hip replacements, prosthetics, etc). So I have clinical volunteer experience in an ER, have witness surgeries in an OR and my field related surgeries on video. But I don't have first hand experience with an orthopedic surgeon and my externship doesn't start until August, when my current research internship is over.

So here are my questions:

1. Do I wait until I finish this shadowing, add it into my application and essay and submit after the 1st week of August (can hinder my application chances)?

2. If I choose to submit now, will my essay be looked down upon because I don't have the specific experience, even though I've done everything else (been involved in the sport, had clinical and surgery-viewing expereince, etc)?

3. If I do submit now, how do I had this extenship to my application? Do I edit and add it in on the primary application? Will I have to get verified again? Does it go on the secondary?
1) It is not necessary or desirable to specify your future field of practice in a med school Primary Statement. That you have no shadowing at all other than some OR observation (and therefor little understanding of day-to-day activities of a doc outside of surgery) is more of a handicap to your application than the fact that you haven't had orthopedic shadowing. Adcomms prefer an attitude of open-mindedness toward future specialization. About 80% of entering med students change their minds before they apply for residency. If your board scores aren't sufficiently competitive for orthopedics, where will that leave you if you have never considered any other field?

This is all side commentary. Your actual question is whether August is late to submit. Considering that it would take about a month for verification at that time of the cycle, I'd say yes. You would be better off to find any primary care doc who you could follow for 20-40 hours in the next week and then submit listing that shadowing experience.

2) If you submit without any shadowing except the surgery, many schools will look down on your application. A few schools don't care about shadowing, and you'd be fine with them.

3) If you submit now, listing maybe just the surgeries and whatever shadowing you've snuck in during the ER volunteering, then you would update schools about the externship with update letters sent directly to each school. You can't update the experiences section in AMCAS. Alternatively, some schools may have a Secondary essay where you can mention the new activity.

sorry if this is not 100% on topic here - but i was wondering, when you enter a committee letter packet. what do you enter for the title of the committee letter? (is it okay to leave it blank??)

i already named the organization of those who are writing it in the organization slot, so i don't know what more specific information they would need ????
There is another thread for general AMCAS questions. This thread is just for the Experiences section.

Status
Not open for further replies.