Coursework & Fieldwork Graduate Assistantship- Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TennesseeOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got accepted into the OTD program that I was really wanting and shortly after was awarded a full time graduate assitantship position that pays full tuition plus a monthly stipend (which ends up paying for my whole rent). The position involves 20 hours/week of research and teaching work in the nursing department (random, I know). I was wondering if anyone had experience with balancing a GA position with a rigorous program like that. I definitely don't want my grades to suffer, but I find it hard to refuse such a great financial opporunity. Free tuition AND rent?- sounds too good to be true. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mind me asking what school you received this from? I am trying to look into a similar package for an OTD program! Congratulations :)

So I got accepted into the OTD program that I was really wanting and shortly after was awarded a full time graduate assitantship position that pays full tuition plus a monthly stipend (which ends up paying for my whole rent). The position involves 20 hours/week of research and teaching work in the nursing department (random, I know). I was wondering if anyone had experience with balancing a GA position with a rigorous program like that. I definitely don't want my grades to suffer, but I find it hard to refuse such a great financial opporunity. Free tuition AND rent?- sounds too good to be true. Opinions?

My boyfriend currently holds a GA position at the University of Maine. He's not going for OT or anything like that but the GA position is incredibly laid back here. He designs his own hours around his coursework and sometimes even can work on assignments at work. I definitely think its doable. I would highly recommend trying it out! It really can't hurt and if it gets to be too much, I'm sure you can work something out with your supervisor. Most GA's I've met said that the position is laid back. You're there to help out but they understand that you are a graduate student so they are typically incredibly understanding when it comes to academics!

@Heatheraburke that is really helpful! What degree is he going for?

And @TennesseeOT I am in the same position! Accepted into an OTD program that offers 50% stipend, it's so tempting and I figure I will apply anyways and then decide once I find out the hours required etc. Is your program full time? I would only be worried about the hours required, if your in class 6-8 hours a day that doesn't leave a lot of room for 20 hours of research work. Congrats though full tuition and rent is super tempting!