GPA and MCAT for Australian med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neulite

Graduate Student (GRII)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done extensive searching on the topic but I wanted to get recent feedback on the average MCAT and GPA of accepted international students to the commonly mentioned med schools over there (e.g., Flinders, Sydney, Queensland, Melbourne, Monash).

My main concern is which schools will even look at work done after your bachelor's. I think it is kind of short-sided to look at work only as an undergraduate. I have taken ALL my undergraduate science classes (some 70 credit hours worth) after my bachelor's and received excellent grades but from what I see Australian universities will only look at the last 3 years of you bachelor's. I'm also finishing up my PhD which I realize won't even be brought to their attention.

What are the chances of a ~3.2 GPA (last 3 years of bachelor's back in 2000-2003), 28N MCAT (10, 9, 9,) international PhD student getting in? I also know the interview is a key component but I feel I'm being shortchanged since I have put a lot of effort into making up for my work as an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

I have done extensive searching on the topic but I wanted to get recent feedback on the average MCAT and GPA of accepted international students to the commonly mentioned med schools over there (e.g., Flinders, Sydney, Queensland, Melbourne, Monash).

My main concern is which schools will even look at work done after your bachelor's. I think it is kind of short-sided to look at work only as an undergraduate. I have taken ALL my undergraduate science classes (some 70 credit hours worth) after my bachelor's and received excellent grades but from what I see Australian universities will only look at the last 3 years of you bachelor's. I'm also finishing up my PhD which I realize won't even be brought to their attention.

What are the chances of a ~3.2 GPA (last 3 years of bachelor's back in 2000-2003), 28N MCAT (10, 9, 9,) international PhD student getting in? I also know the interview is a key component but I feel I'm being shortchanged since I have put a lot of effort into making up for my work as an undergrad.

UQ does look at the PhD GPA --> it says it looks at the GPA of your last degree. I'm not sure about the other schools though, since I got accepted to UQ and follow their policies closely. But Sydney looks at GPA strictly for cutoff reasons (minimum 2.7/4.0). If you pass their minimum, they look at your MCAT & your interview scores to decide upon acceptance. So the GPA doesn't matter that much if you have over 2.7.

As for MCAT, it's a bit low. Most people here who got into UQ and Sydney had >30. I suggest rewriting it and getting a 30P or 30O...But you can still try with 29. There 's a world of difference between 29N and 30P or 30O though not numerically.

anu gives 'bonus' points for graduate degrees i.e. phd

Members don't see this ad :)
The range of GPAs and MCATs for Australian medical schools are much wider than with US medical schools. I knew people who got into med schools here with
24s and some who had high 30's, it all depends. Allopathic schools in the US are generally harder to get into, I think DO programs are also harder. I should know, I got into an Australian school where I go, and was rejected by US MD and DO programs.

The range of GPAs and MCATs for Australian medical schools are much wider than with US medical schools. I knew people who got into med schools here with
24s and some who had high 30's, it all depends. Allopathic schools in the US are generally harder to get into, I think DO programs are also harder. I should know, I got into an Australian school where I go, and was rejected by US MD and DO programs.

It's very strange that it's easier to get into an Australian medical school as an international student than it is as an Australian citizen.

Australian medical schools have been known to be a lot harder than US medical schools to get into for local students.

Its harder for locals to get a place in Grad Entry programs than for Internationals. Australian schools started admitting international students as way of financing their schools. Most internationals know we are there because we are subsidizing the locals with our full international fees. US medical schools are far more difficult to get into than programs in Australia.

Look at the grading criteria, a 2.7 on a North American scale is good enough to be considered for an Australian program, most good US programs require at least a 3.5 minimum and they really scan your academic record in the US thoroughly looking for any patterns.

It's very strange that it's easier to get into an Australian medical school as an international student than it is as an Australian citizen.

Australian medical schools have been known to be a lot harder than US medical schools to get into for local students.

I think that is partly to do with simply the ratio of the number of applicants to spots available. Obviously if you have 600 internationals applying for 70 spots that are reserved for internationals... you're going to have a much better chance of getting in than if you have 3000 applicants for 150 local spots. It all depends on the cohort your applying with/against. Internationals only have to compete with other internationals for those spots. Same for locals.

More and more (Canadians, Americans, Singaporeans, English, etc) are finding out about the quality and availability of Australian med schools and are applying en-mass. Every year it gets harder for internationals here as well because quality and quantity of international applicants is steadily rising. :thumbup:

Most internationals know we are there because we are subsidizing the locals with our full international fees.

They are doing this to more and more local students every year too by increasing the number of local full fee paying spots.

I think that is partly to do with simply the ratio of the number of applicants to spots available. Obviously if you have 600 internationals applying for 70 spots that are reserved for internationals... you're going to have a much better chance of getting in than if you have 3000 applicants for 150 local spots. It all depends on the cohort your applying with/against. Internationals only have to compete with other internationals for those spots. Same for locals.

More and more (Canadians, Americans, Singaporeans, English, etc) are finding out about the quality and availability of Australian med schools and are applying en-mass. Every year it gets harder for internationals here as well because quality and quantity of international applicants is steadily rising. :thumbup:

That is largely a trend with medical schools in many countries.

If you had to chose between taking the MCAT and GAMSAT which would you take? Is there a major difference between the two?

Or would it be wiser to take the GAMSAT if you knew you had a chance of obtaining Australian permanent residency during your years in medical school?

If you had to chose between taking the MCAT and GAMSAT which would you take? Is there a major difference between the two?

Or would it be wiser to take the GAMSAT if you knew you had a chance of obtaining Australian permanent residency during your years in medical school?

I can't speak on taking the GAMSAT but the MCAT was rather difficult. The amount of detailed and conceptual information required to earn a mediocre (much less a competitive) score is substantial. Many people, like myself, end up taking it twice...sometimes more.

Does taking the GAMSAT give a permanent residency advantage over MCAT takers? Why would this be the case? Can someone brief me on the policies or, more importantly, the difficulty/chances of becoming an australian citizen during med school?

If you have an Australian PR you have to take the GAMSAT, the MCAT is for international students. Yes, the MCAT is a far more difficult exam to achieve a competitive score. In general though, very few places allow you to take the GAMSAT outside of Australia and the UK, while the MCAT is offered in many countries.

Unlike US schools, if the OP raised her score from a 29 to a 30 it would not make a big difference in their impression, committees for US medical schools are extremely anal and could afford to be since many schools get thousands of applications for each program. The interview is crucial.

If you have an Australian PR you have to take the GAMSAT, the MCAT is for international students. Yes, the MCAT is a far more difficult exam to achieve a competitive score. In general though, very few places allow you to take the GAMSAT outside of Australia and the UK, while the MCAT is offered in many countries.

Unlike US schools, if the OP raised her score from a 29 to a 30 it would not make a big difference in their impression, committees for US medical schools are extremely anal and could afford to be since many schools get thousands of applications for each program. The interview is crucial.

OK, so if I get into an australian medical program (as an international with the MCAT) and I decide I want to stay there permanently I will have to take the GAMSAT at some point, correct?

If you get PR status during your time as an international student you can lose your place in medical school, there are some programs that will simply change your status to a domestic full fee student. If you are kicked out then you have to take the GAMSAT and reapply. If you finish your degree and then get PR status, you do not have to take the GAMSAT, your MCAT score will be valid in this case.

Thanks Neulite and JoeNamaMD for the further discussions...
I married an Australian citizen in the U.S. and will be applying for my permanent residency visa while applying to medical school there so there is a chance I will be granted PR during my medical school years (that is if I do get accepted anywhere...)
I registered for the MCAT only already.
I am thinking of applying to USyd and UMelb.
I am going to see whether they require GAMSAT for visa status change but if anyone knows in advance it would be great to hear also.

Also, I don't hear much about UMelb on this forum...
Any idea about acceptance GPA and GAMSAT or MCATs?

Thank you!

if i am a PR do i count as international student or domestic? how much does a PR in australia have to pay for school fees?

PRs are domestic. Once you have Australian PR, you have to take the GAMSAT in order to be considered for a medical school place. The MCAT option is for people who are not citizens of PRs of Australia at the time of application.