Good Opportunity or Match Violation? Need advice ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlzHelp2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in (what I think might be) a unique dilemma. I had a surprising match result for 2015 and matched my second to last rank which was a backup 1-yr prelim program. I was/am so grateful to match at all and while I was disappointed/surprised I didn't match my chosen specialty (which for the sake of helping anonymity we will say was FM) I am happy to have a job and excited to start at this prelim program with an awesome PD. Last week I was contacted by a PD I keep in touch with from a program I rotated with as a med student informing me that their program added 5 post match PGY-1 FM positions, and he encouraged me to apply for one of them. He knows I matched a prelim year only. My new PD also knows I tried to SOAP a PGY-2 position and have been looking for open PGY-2's since the match. I know I would need her permission to apply to this new position at all since it is a PGY-1 starting this year, but I'm worried this might cause bad blood between us. However, I'm more worried about not matching in 2016, and getting this categorical spot would negate the need to do the match again in 2016. Am I greatly risking starting my year off poorly by asking my new PD permission to potentially leave 2 months before my start date? Or are many PD's understanding about this kind of thing?

Also, I've been reading through the NRMP rules and it sounds like to cancel out a match contract (even if you and your PD mutually agree to cancel) you need to get a waiver approved by NRMP before applying to a new position. Is this true or do many places sort of ignore the NRMP rules as long as both programs are in mutual agreement about who the candidate is signing a contract with? I don't want to risk causing a match violation by not having this waiver when applying to this position, I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity for a categorical match, and I don't want to screw myself out of my current position. If I attempt this I want it to be as transparent and legal as possible. Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be possible to do the prelim year where you matched and start at the new place as a PGY 2? Honestly, if the PD of the new position knows you matched prelim, then he's in the wrong encouraging you to violate your match. If he wants you bad enough, he should try to figure out a way to get you there for PGY 2 and let you honor your match.

Yep what you're describing is a match violation. I'd be especially careful with those as they have a potential to keep you out of the match next year(s)

Well that sucks. And now I'm worried that the communication I have had with the categorical program is a match violation since the more I read NRMP's wording makes it seem like any communication about a match outside of the actual match is a violation. Paranoia setting in.........

Are you MD or DO? This makes a big difference, in DO you can get mutually agreed release which is not a match violation.

Also if you can just sign into this position who cares about a match violation since you will already be in the residency you want. You didn't discuss a MATCH POSITION because these positions are AFTER the match so they were not available in the match. These position discussion is NOT a violation.

I'm also now kind of shocked that a program director would recommend I do this. I know ultimately the onus is on me for not reading the NRMP guidelines more thoroughly before responding to his emails, but now I've possibly participated in something that could technically be considered a violation, and jeopardize the job I did get. Should I write him a (professionally) worded email letting him know that what he was asking me to do is a match violation or is that overkill? Or should I tell my new PD that this email exchange happened just to give her the head's up in case for some unlikely reason NRMP decides to investigate for a violation? (do I need to stop regressing to the mentality of a pre-med and just relax?)

I don't think you need to tell anyone about your emails. I think you should talk to the cool PD you knew from before on the phone and ask how you could make it work. The NRMP can go F themselves, this is your life.

You're fine as-of now. No one is going to care that you had this phone or email discussion with a program, especially because the PD was the one who initiated it. You're not in any trouble. Yet.

It is a bit strange for a program to add 5 spots all at once. Since FM is a 3 year specialty, that means they need 15 slots. That's a big jump. You should probably make certain that they are 3 year categorical positions.

I don't think you need to tell anyone about your emails. I think you should talk to the cool PD you knew from before on the phone and ask how you could make it work. The NRMP can go F themselves, this is your life.

As stated above, this is terrible advice. There are plenty of threads on whether the match is a good or bad system, and let's not let this one devolve into that. For the current time, the match is the system we use. You do not want to create a match violation, as that could really screw up your path forward. On the other hand, you don't want to miss out on this FM program opportunity.

I think you have several reasonable choices:

1. You could complete the entire prelim year, and then start in the FM program. I don't know how much credit you would get, but you could talk to the PD about that. because the program has 5 new spots open just now, it's probably not critical that they fill all of them -- they could save one for you next year. Or, they could fill them all and you'd be competing for new spots (presumably where you already applied and didn't match). Thus, I think one of the other two options is the best.

2. You could complete 6 months of your prelim program, and then quit. You'd tell this FM program now that you'd like a spot starting in January. Again, they probably don't "need" to fill all 5 spots immediately. Hopefully they would let you sign a contract now, so that you won't have to worry. Then you submit your resignation letter now (for December) so as they make the schedule, they plan for this. They can't fire you for this -- they matched you and are just as bound as you are. if they decide to file for a waiver, that's on them (although you'd be happy to comply).

3. You could complete 2 months of your prelim program, and then quit. This is just as legal as option #2, although I think option #2 is more professional as it gives your new program more time to find a replacement.

Reactions: 1 users
I think for now I am just going to stick with my prelim. It's at a great program with good connections and I'm not looking to burn any bridges before I even start by trying to back out of my contract early. I will need a good rec letter from my PD for the match in 2016 and the more I think about it, the more I think dishonoring my contract in any way might jeopardize that. Also, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm only calling the specialty family medicine and stating that it is 5 spots for the sake on anonymity. Some of the details of the situation are a little different but I changed them to make it harder to figure out who I am. (I am sorry I cannot help people by telling them where open FM positions are because this was not an FM position, so please do not PM me asking for the location)

Again, thank you to everyone who weighed in on this, I appreciate the help!

Still wondering if these Residency positions have been posted anywhere

I'm in (what I think might be) a unique dilemma. I had a surprising match result for 2015 and matched my second to last rank which was a backup 1-yr prelim program. I was/am so grateful to match at all and while I was disappointed/surprised I didn't match my chosen specialty (which for the sake of helping anonymity we will say was FM) I am happy to have a job and excited to start at this prelim program with an awesome PD. Last week I was contacted by a PD I keep in touch with from a program I rotated with as a med student informing me that their program added 5 post match PGY-1 FM positions, and he encouraged me to apply for one of them. He knows I matched a prelim year only. My new PD also knows I tried to SOAP a PGY-2 position and have been looking for open PGY-2's since the match. I know I would need her permission to apply to this new position at all since it is a PGY-1 starting this year, but I'm worried this might cause bad blood between us. However, I'm more worried about not matching in 2016, and getting this categorical spot would negate the need to do the match again in 2016. Am I greatly risking starting my year off poorly by asking my new PD permission to potentially leave 2 months before my start date? Or are many PD's understanding about this kind of thing?

Also, I've been reading through the NRMP rules and it sounds like to cancel out a match contract (even if you and your PD mutually agree to cancel) you need to get a waiver approved by NRMP before applying to a new position. Is this true or do many places sort of ignore the NRMP rules as long as both programs are in mutual agreement about who the candidate is signing a contract with? I don't want to risk causing a match violation by not having this waiver when applying to this position, I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity for a categorical match, and I don't want to screw myself out of my current position. If I attempt this I want it to be as transparent and legal as possible. Thoughts anyone?

This sounds like the EM program in Texas....