What are the legal consequences of violating NRMP match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

javascript

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched to an advanced specialty of my choice but also an IM prelim year. I am terrible with clinical medicine and the idea of intern year is stressing me out to the point that I am thinking of quitting altogether and pursuing a career outside of medicine before I sign my residency contract. I don't think I'm smart or organized enough to survive intern year and am worried about someone getting hurt because of a mistake I make. I know leaving now that would constitute a match violation, since it is less than 45 days after start date. I know the NRMP can bar you from the match in the future which makes sense, but are there any greater legal repercussions I should be worried about?

Members don't see this ad.

No legal consequences, other than presumably a staggering amount of med school debt and no easy path to get a future residency slot since you will have a match violation.

Reactions: 4 users
I matched to an advanced specialty of my choice but also an IM prelim year. I am terrible with clinical medicine and the idea of intern year is stressing me out to the point that I am thinking of quitting altogether and pursuing a career outside of medicine before I sign my residency contract. I don't think I'm smart or organized enough to survive intern year and am worried about someone getting hurt because of a mistake I make. I know leaving now that would constitute a match violation, since it is less than 45 days after start date. I know the NRMP can bar you from the match in the future which makes sense, but are there any greater legal repercussions I should be worried about?

Violating your match agreement because you're scared of your intern year is shooting your toe off because a mosquito landed on it.

Breathe. Relax for a second.

No one is expecting you to be an internal medicine genius your first week. No one is really going to be expecting a lot from you, in general, as a prelim who has matched into a different advanced specialty.

Ask for help when you need it. Don't get cocky. Don't let your ego get in the way. Write things down and don't rely on your memory.

If you follow those 4 rules, you should stay out of trouble for a year. Better, it's less likely that you'll hurt a patient that way.

Don't do something irrational because of fear. Don't write off your entire future because of one year.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Violating your match agreement because you're scared of your intern year is shooting your toe off because a mosquito landed on it.

Breathe. Relax for a second.

No one is expecting you to be an internal medicine genius your first week. No one is really going to be expecting a lot from you, in general, as a prelim who has matched into a different advanced specialty.

Ask for help when you need it. Don't get cocky. Don't let your ego get in the way. Write things down and don't rely on your memory.

If you follow those 4 rules, you should stay out of trouble for a year. Better, it's less likely that you'll hurt a patient that way.

Don't do something irrational because of fear. Don't write off your entire future because of one year.
Fear is definitely a part of it, but it's also that I never wanted to go into medicine in the first place. My family is the reason I'm in medical school and why I even applied for residency. My dream has always been to work in tech but it seems like it's getting further and further away. My only regret would be causing inconvenience to the programs by leaving a spot open, and I do feel bad about that.

Fear is definitely a part of it, but it's also that I never wanted to go into medicine in the first place. My family is the reason I'm in medical school and why I even applied for residency. My dream has always been to work in tech but it seems like it's getting further and further away. My only regret would be causing inconvenience to the programs by leaving a spot open, and I do feel bad about that.
You could also just complete and/or just attempt intern year, see how you feel and then leave for an outside job with a medical license or continue with the advanced position if you feel better at the end of the year.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the best advice anyone can give to you is that at the end of the day, you need to follow what's in your heart. Medicine shouldn't be a job for the sake of having a job. We need passionate doctors, not ones that may have entered into the field for all the wrong reasons.

You are smart enough to have made it through medical school and I truly believe that if you want to be a good doctor, you can be and will get through your intern year and years to follow, that is, if that's what you want.

I would seriously reconsider and then if your heart says I want to go into tech, then move forward and don't look back about leaving medicine, remember, this is your life and your are entitled to be happy, regardless if it may disappoint other people.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
So you went to med school because your parents made you, but now you are independent enough to deal with them when you tell them you are not going to actually become a doctor? Bully for you…
How about looking for someone medical informatics…or going into tech as a physician… though generally industry will want someone with medical experience.

If you have even halfway decent senior residents/attendings (and RNs) then you won't be allowed to hurt anyone. Literally all of us worry about the same thing (I'd be more worried about the intern who didn't worry about hurting a patient). The systems has checks and balances.

Whether medicine is a good fit for you is a completely different question, and one only you can answer. All I can say is medicine can be a very rewarding career, but it's hard to really know what it's like to practice medicine until you've been an attending a few years. But if you do know 100% you want to be in tech, not medicine, then continuing on the path just gets you more in depth and you just keep increasing your sinking cost of time. It's never too late to turn back, but the further you go in the harder it gets to right the ship. At a certain point (when you have a spouse, kids, home, and an "established life," it gets significantly more difficult--though never impossible.

Reactions: 2 users
If you made it through medical school then there is almost a 100% chance you have what it takes to get through intern year and residency. As you know, unfortunately no one can tell you what the right decision is, just remember that if you leave at this point the chance of successfully coming back is nearly 0%.

There are a decent number of jobs out there for doctors that are easy peasy, bring in a great income, and have little significant clinical decision making, and is something you can feel proud of if in the end you decide you don't want to practice traditional medicine. It's guaranteed job and income. But it may not leave you fulfilled. So yeah, it's a hard decision. I hope you find peace and happiness in whatever you decide to do.

If you are going into a tech friendly field (I'm thinking maybe radiology) then you might try to stick it out. Being boarded opens up many more doors and it might make your family happier (even if you're not directly involved in patient care).

However, if you are that miserable, don't prolong it. I agree with what others have posted above though. You are the only one who can make that decision obviously.

Reactions: 1 user
You could also just complete and/or just attempt intern year, see how you feel and then leave for an outside job with a medical license or continue with the advanced position if you feel better at the end of the year.

If you are going into a tech friendly field (I'm thinking maybe radiology) then you might try to stick it out. Being boarded opens up many more doors and it might make your family happier (even if you're not directly involved in patient care).

However, if you are that miserable, don't prolong it. I agree with what others have posted above though. You are the only one who can make that decision obviously.
Yes it is radiology, which I chose exactly because it is tech friendly. Thank you for everyone's responses! I am thinking of sticking it out for the time being but I am still worried about how it's going to go.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.