Good book for plastics elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disco

General Surgery Intern
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im starting a month of plastics soon. Any suggestions on what to read before and during this month???

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS-3 too, so take my advice for what it's worth.

I found "the little red book" to be helpful. They were handed out to us when we started our surgery rotation. The real name of it is "Essentials for Students" and it's given out by the plastic surgery educational foundation. As I understand it, all third years across the country get one.

I bought the Blueprints Plastic Surgery and found that quite helpful. Although I admit the reason I bought it is I'm considering a career in plastics.

As with any surgery rotation, make sure to brush up on your anatomy before any case that you might scrub on. Best of luck and hope you enjoy!

thanks. I might buy the blueprints then. I'm pretty interested in plastics too. Let me know if you come across anything else that you'd recommend!

Members don't see this ad :)
The PRS fellows I rotated with last fall had me reading chapters from their "Plastic Surgery Secrets" books. Thought a lot of information in the book was beyond me, the material I did read was great. And, with your expressed interest in plastics, it may be one to have in your arsenal...

If you are doing a reconstructive-heavy rotation, gotta' know your anatomy well, especially for the bazillion flaps encountered. Prior to each case, I photocopied the corresponding chapter from my fellow's "Atlas of Microvascular Surgery" which gave an overview of the operation and a few pictures to go along with it...

Hope that helps!

How bout the Marks and Marks?

I should have noted above that plastics at my school was only for 1 week. So at that time I wasn't interested in getting a monster text when I wasn't sure I wanted to do it. So I am now looking at getting something more extensive.

I think the Marks and Marks book is a terrific introduction for students, as it is for first year residents.

just so that everyone knows, the lady at my bookstore told me a new edition of the Grabb and Smith is due out in Sept. So maybe if you can hold off, that would be worth it. Hate for someone to get an older edition unknowingly.