From Urology to Plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fefefefw

Reaction score
Hai Ther’,

I am a U.S. citizen (hence, no need for a visa) who was born and raised in Belgium. There, I attended medical school, but I have yet to begin my residency. I recently graduated and am currently doing a multi-year long research postdoc at a top-10 university on the East Coast in the US, in urology. I am fully aware that securing a spot in a urology residency program is no easy task. However, I am fortunate to have 'big name' U.S. urology advisors backing me who are willing to provide strong letters of recommendation. Furthermore, I have a significant amount of research experience, including publications and citations, within the field of urology, and I also have very good step scores. Despite being a U.S. IMG, my mentors believe that I have a good chance matching into a reputable urology residency program in the U.S.
The tricky part is this: my main interest lies in plastic surgery, specifically facial reconstructive surgery. I don't have any connections in the field of plastic surgery, nor have I conducted any research in this area (although I do have a substantial amount of urology research under my belt, including publications in top-tier journals). Given this, I'm seeking some advice.

I could approach plastic surgeons at my current institution in the U.S. to explore potential research opportunities, but I am hesitant. I suspect my urology advisors would be less than thrilled, as they are invested in my success in urology. Additionally, I fear their support might wane if they perceive me as ‘going away’ from the urology path.
I recently discovered the existence of independent plastic surgery residencies, which are 3 years long and follow a general surgery, neurosurgery, ENT, orthopedics, or urology residency. However, it appears that the majority of applicants who match into an independent plastic surgery residency come from a general surgery background rather than urology. In addition, given the current trend favoring integrated 6-year plastic surgery programs, there may not be any independent plastic surgery programs available in 6-8 years. Given these circumstances, I wonder if it's realistic to consider pursuing an independent plastic surgery residency, especially considering that I didn't follow the general surgery route.

TLDR: I believe to be a strong candidate for urology and might have a chance at matching in a top-tier urology program. However, my passion lies in plastic surgery, an area in which I lack contacts, experience, etc. I am not sure it would be a good idea to shift my research focus at the last minute during my postdoc to plastics related research. Such a move could also potentially weaken the letters of recommendation I could receive from my urology advisors. So, what's the best course of action? Is banking on an independent residency my only option?
I am well aware that both specialties are highly competitive. While my credentials are strong in urology, I'm also aware of the match rates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of a urologist doing a plastic surgery fellowship. Are we even Eligible for their boards? If they accept it, it must be possible but know you’d be coming in with an entirely different skill set; one which they will have less familiarity with how to teach to.

Why the sudden interest in facial plastics? Do you even have much clinical experience in that regard?

If sticking the Uro route could consider urology with a subsequent fellowship in reconstructive urology or pediatric urology, which has a large recon component.

It's unusual for ortho or urology graduates to apply for plastics but one would meet the requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly have the stars lined up to land a urology residency as an IMG, I would go all in on that. For you to now to try to similarly situate yourself to be competitive for a plastics residency would probably be impossible and you may end up with nothing. And like you said, if in 5 years your passion is still facial reconstruction, plastics is still a possibility with a GU background. If reconstruction is your thing, reconstructive urology, pediatric urology, or female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS) might also be excellent fits from the urology track.

Hai Ther’,

I am a U.S. citizen (hence, no need for a visa) who was born and raised in Belgium. There, I attended medical school, but I have yet to begin my residency. I recently graduated and am currently doing a multi-year long research postdoc at a top-10 university on the East Coast in the US, in urology. I am fully aware that securing a spot in a urology residency program is no easy task. However, I am fortunate to have 'big name' U.S. urology advisors backing me who are willing to provide strong letters of recommendation. Furthermore, I have a significant amount of research experience, including publications and citations, within the field of urology, and I also have very good step scores. Despite being a U.S. IMG, my mentors believe that I have a good chance matching into a reputable urology residency program in the U.S.
The tricky part is this: my main interest lies in plastic surgery, specifically facial reconstructive surgery. I don't have any connections in the field of plastic surgery, nor have I conducted any research in this area (although I do have a substantial amount of urology research under my belt, including publications in top-tier journals). Given this, I'm seeking some advice.

I could approach plastic surgeons at my current institution in the U.S. to explore potential research opportunities, but I am hesitant. I suspect my urology advisors would be less than thrilled, as they are invested in my success in urology. Additionally, I fear their support might wane if they perceive me as ‘going away’ from the urology path.
I recently discovered the existence of independent plastic surgery residencies, which are 3 years long and follow a general surgery, neurosurgery, ENT, orthopedics, or urology residency. However, it appears that the majority of applicants who match into an independent plastic surgery residency come from a general surgery background rather than urology. In addition, given the current trend favoring integrated 6-year plastic surgery programs, there may not be any independent plastic surgery programs available in 6-8 years. Given these circumstances, I wonder if it's realistic to consider pursuing an independent plastic surgery residency, especially considering that I didn't follow the general surgery route.

TLDR: I believe to be a strong candidate for urology and might have a chance at matching in a top-tier urology program. However, my passion lies in plastic surgery, an area in which I lack contacts, experience, etc. I am not sure it would be a good idea to shift my research focus at the last minute during my postdoc to plastics related research. Such a move could also potentially weaken the letters of recommendation I could receive from my urology advisors. So, what's the best course of action? Is banking on an independent residency my only option?
I am well aware that both specialties are highly competitive. While my credentials are strong in urology, I'm also aware of the match rates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It has been done. One the most famous gender affirming surgeons in the US did urology to independent plastics at my program. I don't think it's realistic to go integrated plastics from your position and I think matching urology would make you an outlier as an IMG.

I've heard that independent plastics program are dwindling down though. Unrealistic?

I've heard that independent plastics program are dwindling down though. Unrealistic?
Independent plastics programs are but it seems that there will safely be around 30 programs for the next few year. Very competitive but not impossible