Likelihood of an independent plastics match for current general surgery interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a categorical intern on a plastics rotation and definitely starting to see myself interested in the field. Problem is in talking to one of my plastics attendings is he believes the independent match may be altogether gone by the time I would be applying. Coupled with the fact I am a DO at a new program, do I have any shot or would it be better to focus my efforts into another field? Currently looking at the possibility of taking a dedicated research year (or two) if my program will allow it after 2nd or 3rd year. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is absolutely no way that every independent program will be gone in 4 years. The transition from independent to integrated takes at least 6 years. They start by having 1 or two interns, then matching 2 classes, then they cut down the independent fellows to lets say 1 per year then finally phase it out when they have graduated 1 or 2 classes of integrated residents. There are several programs out there that haven’t started integrated portions yet. Point being is that if you want to do plastic surgery you should go for it.

Reactions: 1 users