Question re: anesthesia reimbursement for plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I sometimes cover an office based oculo-plastic surgeon (blephs etc) for an anesthesia practice.
This anesthesia practice pays me market rate but I have my own malpractice etc so I am thinking of doing this work independently and directly with the plastic surgeons - either their office or ASC. I am doing the labor and taking all the liability anyways, as opposed to being in a group setting. Offsite and office based anesthesia carries its own set of risks and nuances, such as limited equipment and limited help in case there are issues for resuscitation etc.

Anyways, I don't have much knowledge as to how this works, but I was told that there is typically an out of pocket "total cost" that the plastic surgeon charges the patient which includes anesthesia services. Then the fee is given to the anesthesiologist.

How does this typically work?

I am sure that the guy I am working for takes a cut of my work, and a reasonable amount is ok I suppose, but if the differential is high then it may be worthwhile for me to negotiate directly with the surgeons.

It is hard for me to find this information. How much do you typically pay your anesthesiologist for a day of cases. Either ASC or office.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
To clarify - this is for cash paying patients.

I cover a plastics office. The surgeon charges the patient a global cost. Of the cost, I’m given x amount which is cash to me.