Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do a lot of people do volunteer work or stuff being so close to the hospital since its at the med school???

Does anyone do things like side research projects or things while in the program since NIH or other places are nearby?

Actually no... I don't know of anyone who is doing research or volunteering while in the program. I'm sure out of the 180 there is someone who I just don't know who might be, but in general this would be a very bad idea , ESPECIALLY the first semester. That is the semester of grades that schools are going to see, and that is the semester you truly can't afford to screw up.

Does anyone know how people typically pay for med app costs while in georgetown's smp? I'm currently working in a lab and I'm not sure if I'll be able to save up enough for the costs prior to enrolling in the program if accepted.

Do you know DrJD?

Unfortunately what others have said is true, you will have to pay for all of it out of either savings, or money that you will get for student loans, or a credit card. In the end you do what you have to do to get them all in. I think because most people in this program are young they got help from their parents and filled in the rest with student loan money. I'd recommend trying to save a couple thousand dollars before you start to pay for it, but worst case just be really smart about where you apply and use loans/credit cards.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh ok. That makes sense. I was just double checking. :)

The class elects a "Volunteer Coordinator" or some title like that, who is in charge of arranging one day volunteer activities throughout the year. So there are definitely single time opportunities to volunteer as you go if you find you have time to do that and the desire. Or, you could volunteer as you go. I could have volunteered my first semester and gotten the same grades, but my priority was on spending time with my wife :)

The class elects a "Volunteer Coordinator" or some title like that, who is in charge of arranging one day volunteer activities throughout the year. So there are definitely single time opportunities to volunteer as you go if you find you have time to do that and the desire. Or, you could volunteer as you go. I could have volunteered my first semester and gotten the same grades, but my priority was on spending time with my wife :)

I nominate Gujudoc.

Members don't see this ad :)
whoo hoo! my file is complete according to the application website! now the waiting begins...

If I wanted to inquire about whether or not my transcripts were received, who would be best to contact? I've been staring at a "Not Received" for the last week and it's the last thing needed before I'm complete.

Three weeks for me. I think they're still just behind. If you're really worried, you could try [email protected] or the other email address that was posted above.

Last edited:
I have applied to the SMP but I am not sure whether or not the program is right for me. I am a Neuroscience major from a very good private university (GPA 3.5, Science 3.5 also). I have a 30Q MCAT (9PS, 11VS, 10BS). I am also a varsity athlete, have done a good amount of research, and some shadowing. Is SMP a good option or would I benefit more from something different?
Thanks!

Three weeks for me. I think they're still just behind. If you're really worried, you could try [email protected] or the other email address that was posted above.

Thanks. Seeing as you've been waiting for three weeks I think I will just try to exercise some patience.

I have applied to the SMP but I am not sure whether or not the program is right for me. I am a Neuroscience major from a very good private university (GPA 3.5, Science 3.5 also). I have a 30Q MCAT (9PS, 11VS, 10BS). I am also a varsity athlete, have done a good amount of research, and some shadowing. Is SMP a good option or would I benefit more from something different?
Thanks!

I would like to have your GPA. That being said, it appears as though you're ready to apply to med school now rather than drop $40,000 for the program. Do so broadly and I'd wager you'd get in somewhere.

so my file was complete online on the 10th and i got the "your file is complete email" yesterday so it took almost 2 weeks for everything to get processed, if that helps anyone.

Hey Guys,

I am considering applying to the Georgetown SMP, but I don't know if it would be better to work or apply to the program. My undergrad GPA is a 3.52 (3.48 AMCAS). I have only taken the MCAT once and the score was a 26. I know the SMP recommends a 28 or higher. I am retaking the MCATs on MAY 1st.

What would you recommend? Thanks

so I am waiting for one rec letter to get in before my app is complete. I asked for this letter a lonnnnnnng time ago but for some reason it still hasn't gotten in. What if I only sent a packet with 2 rec letters. Do you think they'd review my app?

so I am waiting for one rec letter to get in before my app is complete. I asked for this letter a lonnnnnnng time ago but for some reason it still hasn't gotten in. What if I only sent a packet with 2 rec letters. Do you think they'd review my app?
With only two letters? I don't think they will. Without having at least three letters, I don't believe they'll consider your application complete so it can be reviewed.
Are you applying online or through the mail? I only ask because I found the online LOR service to be a great advantage. Waiting on someone to send you an important component of your application is quite irritating. The LOR upload service was convenient in its ability to have your letters sent in instantaneously and also as a tool for getting lazy professors to send them in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bother doing any volunteering at the hospital or trying to do any research. The hospital asks you to fulfill a minimum hour commitment, which is some absurd amount. Research is also out of the question. Don't forget why you're going to this program. You need to prove to medical schools you have the ability to survive in a medical curriculum. The medical students you are competing against are not doing research, so why make your life even more difficult by putting yourself at a disadvantage by decreasing your study time relative to the med students. You basically show up in August, and work your ass off until May. "It's the best worst year of your life" as they tell you on day 1. The one day volunteer activities are good, but only go if you have time.

Oh, and the main reason I came in here in the first place:

Anyone who has gotten in (or wants to keep me in mind if you DO get in). I have a single basement apartment I am vacating on August 1. I live beneath a married couple with grown-up kids who have moved out. It is in the very quiet, secluded, and safe Foxhall Village neighborhood just west of campus. I walk to class in 5.5 minutes. The unit is bigger than any other basement apartment I have seen and has a large living room, bedroom, and decent bathroom. The rent is $1250 (includes everything) a month, which sounds steep, but is pretty much the standard for nice basement apts in the area. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you more info. If you want, I could probably move out earlier in July if you wanted to come sooner. Should also note that the ceilings are lower, so you can't be above 6 feet tall or you might hit your head in places. I am 6ft tall and just barely miss the lower spots.

Oh, and the main reason I came in here in the first place:

Anyone who has gotten in (or wants to keep me in mind if you DO get in). I have a single basement apartment I am vacating on August 1. I live beneath a married couple with grown-up kids who have moved out. It is in the very quiet, secluded, and safe Foxhall Village neighborhood just west of campus. I walk to class in 5.5 minutes. The unit is bigger than any other basement apartment I have seen and has a large living room, bedroom, and decent bathroom. The rent is $1250 a month, which sounds steep, but is pretty much the standard for nice basement apts in the area. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you more info. If you want, I could probably move out earlier in July if you wanted to come sooner.

Take him up on it, good area... good price considering you won't have any transportation costs!

I'm assuming that SMP students also rent houses together; do you know what some of your peers are paying per room?

hey,
so this may be a stupid question but I was going to write and mail off my deposit check for Georgetown smp today and I just wanted to make sure that I was making the check out to the right place... Do I make it out to Georgetown university, georgetown smp ect.? Thanks for any help.

hey,
so this may be a stupid question but I was going to write and mail off my deposit check for Georgetown smp today and I just wanted to make sure that I was making the check out to the right place... Do I make it out to Georgetown university, georgetown smp ect.? Thanks for any help.

I don't think you can go wrong by making it out to Georgetown University and writing SMP in the memo field. Let me know otherwise.

hey,

Hey everyone,
so I just got the acceptance email today, which was pretty exciting. I am still holding out hope that my medical school apps work out but if not I still have a pretty great option. ...

judging by the fact that you're mailing in your deposit, no news on the med school front?

Hey guys,

Congrats to those who have gotten in! This is just a note to those of you who follow my blog. I've added a couple new posts and will try and update it at least twice a week for the rest of the school year. I am finally done with the medical school classes portion so I have more time!

If any of you come up with questions about the program, feel free to post the questions as comments on the blog rather than PM me. That way I can answer them for everyone!

Good luck to those of you waiting to hear!!

Just wanted to post my stats. Hope this helps!!

Georgetown SMP:
Submitted: 1/23
Complete: 3/10 (waiting for test scores)
Under Review: 3/16
Decision: 3/20, Waitlisted

Stats:
Cumulative GPA: .3.5 (3.8 past 5 semesters)
BCPM: . 3.0 (3.5 past 5 semesters)
GRE: 1140, first try; 1280, second try (taking MCAT 7/09)
A ton of extracurricular/volunteer activities, research (including publications), and a solid personal statement

I have been accepted to BU and VCU

Hey! I just thought I'd post my stats.

Submitted 1/28
Complete 3/3 (they misfiled my transcript under my first name)
Accepted 3/11

Now I'm trying to find an apartment and roommate(s). Any help that other people can give me is great cuz I feel like I'm in need of guidance.

Best of Luck to everyone still waiting!!!!

Hey! I just thought I'd post my stats.

Submitted 1/28
Complete 3/3 (they misfiled my transcript under my first name)
Accepted 3/11

Now I'm trying to find an apartment and roommate(s). Any help that other people can give me is great cuz I feel like I'm in need of guidance.

Best of Luck to everyone still waiting!!!!

what are you doing to find the apt/roommate? honestly, i have no idea how to go about finding either of those...

i'm also not sure how to go about getting a loan to pay for school and said apt. i've filed my fafsa....what's next??

what are you doing to find the apt/roommate? honestly, i have no idea how to go about finding either of those...

i'm also not sure how to go about getting a loan to pay for school and said apt. i've filed my fafsa....what's next??

The lack of instructions about financial aid on the smp website is indeed a bit disappointing. After I filed my fafsa, I sat around for a while not knowing what to do next before I figured it out (at least I think so...somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

1. Go to office of financial aid
2. Scroll down to Fed Stafford Loans and there will be another link that goes to a page with a list of lenders. I chose the first lender listed. I'm not endorsing any one one lender over another.
3. Click on link to apply for a graduate loan.
(Note: from here on, I'm not sure if having chosen a different lender will lead to different steps beyond this point)
4. That took me to Sallie Mae where I registered an account and then applied for a federal Stafford and federal PLUS loan. In each case, the application will lead you through a tutorial called "Online student loan counseling - Mapping your future" which takes 20-30 minutes to read through.
5. That's where I'm up to now. I think at this point you're supposed to wait for the financial aid office to let you know how much you've been approved for.

Here is what somebody from the year before took out in loans.

Hope this helps.

As for housing, I hear that some smp folks get Riverside apartments across the river in Roslyn, but it can be a bit pricey. Criaigslist would be more useful as the date approaches, but now there are only listings for immediate rentals. Can any current smp students fill us in here? (DrJD? :)). I think the cheapest option is to rent out a nearby house and split the rent by as many rooms there are.

I'll chime in here with what info i have:

in regards to fin aid - i filed fafsa and then was in the dark about the next step. I called the fin aid office and they said that if you are starting in the Fall 2009 term (which we are), then they will be contacting us in April about the Federal money. I would be very wary about signing up for lenders online and i think you can and should go through the fin aid office and they will set everything up.

for housing - i can directly comment on Riverside. My good friend lives there and i crash with him all the time. It's a nice spot, real close to the metro and you can walk over the key bridge to get over to georgetown. I think he said that he has a 2 bdrm and each of them pay like 800 or so each (very reasonable). BUT, the key thing is that Riverside apartments are generally rented out by people that own them so its an individual basis on who you have renting their place to you.

Craigslist is the way to go, but as mentioned earlier, its a pretty immediate move-in kinda thing.

On a personal note, I'm moving down to DC in may and was going to live alone, but if anyone is interested in moving down for the summer and would want a roommate - PM me and we can chat.

Yeah, I started looking at Craig's list. I read the thing on the georgetown website about people living in lie Foxhall and Glover Park. I had thought about living in Roslyn but I'm worried about traffic and how long it takes to walk to class from there. Additionally, I'm worried about winter there. I've lived in Charlottesville for the last 4 years and DC weather is pretty much the same, except they do a better job of cleaning the snow. So yeah, walking 30 minutes in bitter cold is not fun and I'm trying to avoid being sick the entire year haha. Currently I'm looking and seeing if I can find an apartment at a decent price and if so then I'll just get it and then find a roommate? If any girls are in the same boat PM me.

Yeah, I started looking at Craig's list. I read the thing on the georgetown website about people living in lie Foxhall and Glover Park. I had thought about living in Roslyn but I'm worried about traffic and how long it takes to walk to class from there. Additionally, I'm worried about winter there. I've lived in Charlottesville for the last 4 years and DC weather is pretty much the same, except they do a better job of cleaning the snow. So yeah, walking 30 minutes in bitter cold is not fun and I'm trying to avoid being sick the entire year haha. Currently I'm looking and seeing if I can find an apartment at a decent price and if so then I'll just get it and then find a roommate? If any girls are in the same boat PM me.

be careful. If you can't find a roommate then you're the one footing the bill because its your name on the lease for a 2 bdrm.

also, remember that the yahoo groups thing they set up has a 'roommates wanted' database thing. it seems very under-used but you might get lucky and find someone

Um can anyone familiar with the area tell me about the area around Georgetown Waterfront Park? Is it far to classes from there/ is it a safe area? It might be a stupid question but I'm really not familiar with the area.

Um can anyone familiar with the area tell me about the area around Georgetown Waterfront Park? Is it far to classes from there/ is it a safe area? It might be a stupid question but I'm really not familiar with the area.

I don't know about how safe it is, but as for distance, you can always go to google maps and have it calculate the walking distance and time to class.

a good rule of thumb is that you'll be ok with anything with a NW D.C. address...around chinatown is a little rough though. Might want to stay away from anything SE (although that not too close to school).

Georgetown Waterfront Park is decently close to the med school, but I'd think that area would be ULTRA expensive. It should be decently safe. For what it's worth, you'd be walking uphill to school (and of course downhill back).

Also, merely confining your search to NW could land you in unrealistically far away places, as Georgetown is not metro accessible. Also, many parts of NW are sketchy. If you live in Georgetown, you're set. Rosslyn works too, but it's a slight hike or bus ride to school. During fall and spring it's a nice walk, but during summer it's a gross one.

i'm hoping to find a place in georgetown, ideally a house shared with several roommates. i'm coming from california, so the transition to winter might come as a shock, and i'll want to spend as little time as possible walking to class... anyone interested in a roommate? (i figure this is just as good a forum as any to ask...)

Hey everyone,

I'm 25, female, looking either for a River Place studio OR a roommate to share a 2BR in River Place starting in MAY (exact date flexible). PM me if interested!

Also, is there any reason to live in Georgetown rather than in Rosslyn? My reasoning was that if I set up a domicile in Rosslyn by May, I'll be eligible for in-state consideration at the Virginia schools (meeting their 12-months-in-residence-prior-to-matriculation rule), which is basically the only reason I'd prefer to live in Rosslyn rather than in DC.

Any thoughts on this?

no reason not to live in Rosslyn, just preference - i just want to live in D.C. proper.

And if youre in Rosslyn you've got the best friggin spaghetti place and burgers right next to river place! ....and old town alexandria is really cute

no reason not to live in Rosslyn, just preference - i just want to live in D.C. proper.

And if youre in Rosslyn you've got the best friggin spaghetti place and burgers right next to river place! ....and old town alexandria is really cute

I lived in Riverplace for 6 months have must have totally missed out on this spaghetti place, what restaurant are you talking about!?

Personally, I think DC proper is a slum hole, lol You couldn't pay me to live there as all of my friends have either been mugged at gun point or generally hated it. Now, the Georgetown area is definitely nicer than down in DC. That being said, unless you have a car the Georgetown area is going to be really rough as there is no Metro access. Some of my friends live in the Georgetown area and love it. I get a couple e-mails a week about break ins and muggings in the Georgetown area so it is definitely not immune from crime, so you still need to use common sense. (IE, no walking around drunk at 2 AM)

I think that the absolute best place to live for SMP students is Rosslyn. Close to a metro, a Safeway, and a lot of restaurants. It used to take me between 15 and 20 minutes to get to class from River Place if I used the GUTS bus. Takes about 30 minutes walking. So you could theoretically shave a few minutes off of that time by living in Georgetown, but not enough to sacrifice the benefits of Rossyln in my mind.

River place - This is a great place to live but there is a sort of buyer beware disclaimer I should place. Each unit is individually owned and operated, it is not like your typical apartment complex. So you need to make sure that you trust your individual landlord and that that particular unit is nice. Not all units are created equal. So make sure you see the unit in person before you rent it and that the landlord seems like they would be responsible and quick to fix any problems.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys may have on areas, but unfortunately I don't really know how to find roommates. I am married so I didn't need to find one when I moved here. When I was searching for housing I found craigslist to be the BEST place to look hands down.

Hope this helps!

I lived in Riverplace for 6 months have must have totally missed out on this spaghetti place, what restaurant are you talking about!?

Il Raddichio on Clarendon....Right by Ray's Hell Burger (the burger place i was talking about). They make amazing al dente spaghetti and it is always consistent (and they'll bring you bowl after bowl). Granted i may have embelished a little when i said Riverplace was right next to it, but its still close.

I agree, Riverplace is really nice, and as i said before you've got to be careful who youre renting from.

The only reason im looking in DC (glover pk/cathedral/dupont) rather than in rosslyn is because im still on the alternate list for my top choice school (USUHS) and wouldn't want to get stuck with a lease in rosslyn and have to commute to bethesda on the off chance that they let me in. Agreed that it sucks that there's no metro's around though.

is there a SMP house?

Hey-

So I'm looking for a girl to share an apartment with next year. I'm graduating from University of Virginia where all my stuff is but I live in Houston so I'd like to be able to move in around early July if possible. So if you're generally a nice person PM me if you're interested!

hello all!

seems like we've got a good group going now for next August!!

i am looking for a place too, preferably in the Georgetown area and in a house with a bunch of folk.

i would probably start the lease from July or so. Let me know if anyone is interested!

hello all!

seems like we've got a good group going now for next August!!

i am looking for a place too, preferably in the Georgetown area and in a house with a bunch of folk.

i would probably start the lease from July or so. Let me know if anyone is interested!

I'm not sure there's really much anyone can do now, since craigslist isn't going to have postings yet about anything over the summer.

it would be smart to try to figure out who to live with even if you don't know exactly where though

My app is now complete, lets see what happens!

Anyone know how long it takes for them to receive MCAT scores? I have everything else marked as "received" except for that.

Think I should email them about it?

i just got the email putting me on the hold list. i suppose i'm better off than a straight rejection :)

To be honest, i thought for sure I was going to be at Georgetown next year... but it looks like my one interview turned out for the best and I've been accepted!

So, i'll be declining my spot at Georgetown. Hopefully it lands in the lap of one of you (fingers crossed gujuDoc). Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Anyone know how long it takes for them to receive MCAT scores? I have everything else marked as "received" except for that.

Think I should email them about it?
I'm in the same boat as you. I wouldn't worry about it if it hasn't been longer than 4 weeks. I spoke with Ms Cabiness about another matter and she mentioned how swamped they were with all the apps coming in.

As premeds, I feel as though we could all add "waiting professional" to our resumes and CVs. From test results to interviews to acceptances, we spend the majority of our lives simply waiting.