Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, I was on one med school alternate list last year and I may be this year, still waiting to find out. Some of the SMPs ask for this information on the app, but Gtown did not. Does anyone want to comment on whether or not informing Gtown somehow of this info, in the form of a letter or something I guess, would be a good idea? Some leverage? As in, see, I'm close and the Gtown SMP would help, I'm your ideal applicant! Or would that be somewhat intrusive, for lack of a better word. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd call them up or email them to find out what is going on.

So I called up Ms. Cabiness, who is pretty awesome, and she looked up my MCAT scores, which i had sent in November and she's like oh, you got such and such score right?

And I was like, yes i did! She said they had the scores this whole time, but they hadn't been sent to admissions!!!! So she sent them, and now everything on the online app says complete, but i have not received a
"complete, under review" email.

i am a little frustrated, but it's kind of a serious clerical error! gujudoc, i guess they just don't like us gujus :laugh:

So I called up Ms. Cabiness, who is pretty awesome, and she looked up my MCAT scores, which i had sent in November and she's like oh, you got such and such score right?

I just want to second this... Ms. Cabiness is extremely awesome. You'll see when you get here but I've never met someone more supportive and kind. If you ever have problems she'll definitely help you out in this process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if anyone who is familiar (or...DrJD) with the admissions process could give me an indication as to my chances for acceptance into the SMP program..

GPA - 3.65
Science GPA - 3.51
MCAT - 27O
lots of relevant extracurriculars (TA, Lab TA, free health clinic, hospital work, etc.)

Thanks in advance...

Hmmm you might stand a chance but they have recently increased the requirements to a 28 or above. However, these programs usually make exceptions every now and then so I'd call or email Ms. Cabiness. Look at my above post about 1 or 2 posts above to see how to contact her.

Guju is right... Technically the cut off is a 28 MCAT... However, since you have an amazing GPA compared to most applicants they may be able to make an exception. That being said, I'd highly advise against an SMP. I would recommend a good MCAT class and improving your score a few points. A lot cheaper, faster and will definitely get you into medical school.

On another note, Guju... I'm glad you called to check on your app! Sorry I told you to wait a little bit, but sometimes they are just slow. Sounds like this time maybe your app got mixed up a little bit.

Checked the status of my application today and...

Application Status: Completed on 2/11/2009 2:52:00 PM

Nice! I submitted it on 1/15/09... now for the other half of the waiting game. One weird thing I noticed though, it says my MCAT has not been received. Hopefully that's a mistake, it's my only saving grace!

Woooohoooooo so last night Ms. Cabiness emailed me back saying I'm now under review!!!!!

YAY! Hopefully I'll hear soon!

Excellent! Yeah she had said the same thing to me and then I got a "complete, under review" email on Monday. It says 4 weeks though! eep!

My application was also finally marked complete today, except it also states that my MCAT scores have not been received. Maybe it is just a glitch in the system. I did not receive an e-mail though, did everyone else receive one when their applications were marked complete? What is the average turn around time to hear something?

Just so you guys know, I got an email about my application being complete and an acceptance email to georgetown while my online application still stated that my MCATs had not been received. I ended up emailing them to inquire about it and it was fixed in a few days. It might be worth it to shoot them an email but I wouldn't worry about it too much because as I said they still accepted me while mine was incomplete.

Okay, I am now under review. The email says to expect four weeks before a decision. For those of you who have already received a decision, did it actually take the entire four weeks or did you hear earlier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I am now under review. The email says to expect four weeks before a decision. For those of you who have already received a decision, did it actually take the entire four weeks or did you hear earlier?

They gave me their decision in exactly two weeks

I heard exactly one week after I was under review

Good luck! :thumbup:

So I am in the process of getting my SMP app in (i.e. today or Monday), and I was wondering about my chances...

MCAT: 32N, (13 BS, 6 VR, 13 PS)
(I took it again in January, still waiting for scores)
GPA: 3.3 science and overall
chem major

any thoughts, odds, over/unders?

thanks

does anyone know if the school takes interfolio transcripts?

gujudoc:

there was no language barrier, I just used a pretty terrible strategy and realized that way too late. On the recent practice tests I took before my january mcat, i was getting in the 9-12 range on verbal, so hopefully that will get better.

DrJD, what do you think of my situation?

thanks

gujudoc:

there was no language barrier, I just used a pretty terrible strategy and realized that way too late. On the recent practice tests I took before my january mcat, i was getting in the 9-12 range on verbal, so hopefully that will get better.

DrJD, what do you think of my situation?

thanks

Hey godoyers,

Based on what I see in your post I'd say you have a pretty good chance at getting admitted to the SMP program. If your GPA were higher I'd bet you could even get accepted straight to an MD school. I know someone who was admitted to UCI medical school (and many others) but she had a 3.99 and a 7 in the Verbal section.

That being said, it think it is good that you are retaking in order to fix that, the 13's are amazing. Unfortunately odds are you'll go down in the sciences in order to bring up your verbal, but you will still have a very good application.

If you have good EC's, an upward trend, good LORS I think you have a GREAT chance at the SMP at Georgetown. Even if you dont have the above don't give up hope. If they reject you for some reason before your new MCAT scores come out, don't even give up hope then. They actually rejected me when I had a 29, and I e-mailed them and they reactivated my application because of my 38 and I was then accepted.

Good luck, and keep working on the verbal and knock it out of the park!

I just received my pre-acceptance e-mail today! This is definitely my first choice for an SMP. Anyone else hear back?

Congratulations...

I am hoping to hear back soon...I was emailed by Ms. Cabiness and told that my application was in committee this past Thursday.

If any of you out there could enlighten me as to the time you waited from hearing that your application was in committee or being reviewed, until you heard a final decision from the admissions committee, I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. (for DrJD or someone else who knows) - I received an email from the admissions committee asking if I planned on retaking the MCAT, and I indicated that I did plan on doing so but not until the completion of this semester. I was wondering if based on my higher than average grades (3.64), but lower than average MCAT (27), if this might indicate that I have a chance to be admitted or alternatively that the admissions committee might reserve judgment on my application until they see another MCAT score.

Thanks...

Woohoo! Congrats DocOllie! See you in DC! :thumbup:

Jbru, I'm guessing the admissions committee is going to postpone a decision until they get your new MCAT score, which is why they asked you about the retake in the first place -- though that's just my hypothesis based on Dr Myers' emphasis on meeting the 28 minimum cutoff. DrJD might have a better sense of this.

P.S. (for DrJD or someone else who knows) - I received an email from the admissions committee asking if I planned on retaking the MCAT, and I indicated that I did plan on doing so but not until the completion of this semester. I was wondering if based on my higher than average grades (3.64), but lower than average MCAT (27), if this might indicate that I have a chance to be admitted or alternatively that the admissions committee might reserve judgment on my application until they see another MCAT score.

Thanks...

Hey... It is a good thing that they e-mailed you to see if you are retaking the MCAT. That means they are interested! With me during my year they rejected me and then I just had to send them my new MCAT scores. You are on the right track. Give them some time to respond to your response and see what they have to say. If some time goes by and you still haven't heard then you should contact them and find out if your application is on hold until the new score comes out. Good luck!

DrJD,

Do you think I should email them again???

Alright, some advice that I think you should all know. The administrators in this program are amazing. There are only a few of them so they all talk to each other a lot. They also know all of the students! It is amazing, they know your name, your stats, etc. etc. etc.

Why do I bring this up? If we let our excitement spill over too much they will talk and will know that we aren't being patient! ;) I am so guilty of this myself.

Anyway, so gujudoc... You got the complete e-mail on Feb. 9th? As in 8 days ago? I think you are good. The way I understand it is that the applications get divvied out amongst the administrators so your app possibly got placed with someone who is just taking longer to decide. It looks like so far you've had 4 business days... I'd give it a little more time before you contact them again. If you know for sure that your app is complete and under review, your best bet is to just wait until you hear from them unless it gets excessive. Keep the faith, I'm sure it will go well for you!!

I am as always here and willing to answer any questions you guys may have! Good luck!

I'm complete except for a single rec. letter. I have one in from a science prof, one from an employer, and I'm waiting on a third from another science prof. In the mean time, I have a letter from another employer that I could send immediately.

Question is: How important do you think getting complete as soon as possible is vs. having 2 science letters? I'm planning on getting in touch with the office, but was hoping that someone here might be able to give me a good sense of how urgent it is for me to be complete.

I know that you guys don't know how strong the recs are, or what sort of relationship I have with the employers. Just looking for a general idea though.

Stats:

GPA: 3.2 (Ivy, if it matters)
MCAT: 34P (12P,10V,12B)

Worked in healthcare venture capital, a good amount of basic science research, and have the signature premed ECs.

All input would be welcomed and appreciated.

i got the "are you going to retake the mcat?" email also. (i took the mcat in april 2006...). i'm planning on retaking later this year (summer....just started studying again). glad to hear that this is a good sign!

I'm complete except for a single rec. letter. I have one in from a science prof, one from an employer, and I'm waiting on a third from another science prof. In the mean time, I have a letter from another employer that I could send immediately.

Question is: How important do you think getting complete as soon as possible is vs. having 2 science letters? I'm planning on getting in touch with the office, but was hoping that someone here might be able to give me a good sense of how urgent it is for me to be complete.

I know that you guys don't know how strong the recs are, or what sort of relationship I have with the employers. Just looking for a general idea though.

Stats:

GPA: 3.2 (Ivy, if it matters)
MCAT: 34P (12P,10V,12B)

Worked in healthcare venture capital, a good amount of basic science research, and have the signature premed ECs.

All input would be welcomed and appreciated.

Your stats look good, and it's still rather early, so I think you have a good chance either way.

The acceptance email comes with an invite to join a yahoo groups page, and assuming that everyone who has been accepted in this application cycle has joined the yahoo group page, then I can say that there are a lot of seats to fill. There are only ~20 people on yahoo groups page and according to Dr JD, his class size was ~180. So that should give you an idea...

Congrats DocOllie :thumbup: and good luck to everyone else!

Your stats look good, and it's still rather early, so I think you have a good chance either way.

The acceptance email comes with an invite to join a yahoo groups page, and assuming that everyone who has been accepted in this application cycle has joined the yahoo group page, then I can say that there are a lot of seats to fill. There are only ~20 people on yahoo groups page and according to Dr JD, his class size was ~180. So that should give you an idea...

At the beginning of the year I believe there were 182 students and in our yahoo there are still not all 182 people, lol Which is their loss because that is the primary way that the SMP communicates with the students :)

I know its hard Guju! But I'd at least give it until the middle of next week because like I said, some of the administrators are really fast, and others, well they aren't. But if you keep calling they will remember you whether good or bad, so I'd say give it at least 15 business days from the time you are complete.

Much appreciated Essex!

How long does it take them to input all your rec letters, MCAT scores, and transcripts into your application file? My transcripts and rec letters were sent on 2/6 from CA. Also, my MCAT score release status page has been complete for about 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any info.

so i just got an acceptance email from G'town! woot. i am on the fence at this point between here and cincinnati's program, but we'll see how it goes!

Thanks to Dr JD, Essex, and all the other G'town SMPers for your advice.

Gujudoc, congrats on the waitlists! I have heard that there is for sure a great deal of movement on them!!!
guess there may be some guju-love afterall :laugh:

just got accepted to georgetown and loyola! :) i'm leaning towards g'town....

yah. Does anyone know anything about how waitlists at gtown work??

DrJD,
Having been waitlisted from 2 of the 4 SMPs I applied to, not heard from 1 because it gives nonrolling admissions in mid April, and not having heard from another anything (meaning from UCincy), do you think I should consider applying to a few other SMPs as well i.e. Tufts' program or Drexel IMS or any of the others listed on the list stickied by DrMidlife??

Oh man! Did you apply to BU's program? I wouldn't worry too much about the waitlist. There is a TON of movement. Seriously people get called off the waitlist all the way into August. We had someone from CA fly out after orientation!!!

I would send in a letter of intent once you know for sure that you would attend Georgetown if accepted, I think that my help. Obviously like you said you can't update them on anything, but a LOI could go a long way to helping once you are sure that med school won't work out. But really, don't worry there is a lot of movement. Keep them posted about your interest and I'm sure it will work out! I don't remember how "low" your GPA is, but a 29 is decent, I wouldn't worry about retaking at this point.

just got accepted to georgetown and loyola! :) i'm leaning towards g'town....

Highly recommend G-town over Loyola... you won't be sorry!!!

Unfortunately I got the notification that I was waitlisted today...I guess all I can do is hope that there is some significant movement on the waiting list and that the admissions committee will be able to overlook my MCAT score for now, as I am not taking the exam again until this July.

I have been a long-time reader and maybe I can get some information regarding admissions experiences. Basically, I want to attend an SMP next year. Unfortunately, as a freshman in college I was a major disasters with F's and W's and all that, science courses included. However, I got my game together (please see stats below), I also took my premed classes after I graduated (I retook 3 of them as, my old grades werent spectacular and it had been years). So on grades alone, MCAT will be done in Feb, 2010, can you give me an opinion on my chances, in your experiences.

Degree: Mathematics and Economics (Honors)

BCPM Overall: 3.25
Freshman: 2.21
Sophmore: 1.97
Junior: 4.0
Senior 3.91
Postbacc 4.0

I have good ECs including a wealth of healthcare exposure. However, I love this program and truly feel it will be a great fit. So what do you guys thing, assuming I get ~31 on the MCAT. I appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,
-Vapor

I have been a long-time reader and maybe I can get some information regarding admissions experiences. Basically, I want to attend an SMP next year. Unfortunately, as a freshman in college I was a major disasters with F's and W's and all that, science courses included. However, I got my game together (please see stats below), I also took my premed classes after I graduated (I retook 3 of them as, my old grades werent spectacular and it had been years). So on grades alone, MCAT will be done in Feb, 2010, can you give me an opinion on my chances, in your experiences.

Degree: Mathematics and Economics (Honors)

BCPM Overall: 3.25
Freshman: 2.21
Sophmore: 1.97
Junior: 4.0
Senior 3.91
Postbacc 4.0

I have good ECs including a wealth of healthcare exposure. However, I love this program and truly feel it will be a great fit. So what do you guys thing, assuming I get ~31 on the MCAT. I appreciate any opinions.

Thanks,
-Vapor

Vapor: If you mean to ask whether you should apply or not - go for it! If you're asking to gauge your chances of getting in - well, I don't think anybody here can answer that well enough enough except for the admissions committee itself. Assuming your mcat is above their cutoff (28), and around their average (32), then I think you have a good shot. Good luck!

DrJD: I was browsing thru Gtown related posts and came across some bitter remarks about its postbac program and was wondering if any of the comments were true of the SMP as well.

guju and jbru: don't give up hope yet! :xf:

hey all,

i was just trying to read some stuff about g'town, and i came across something mentioning that the school was on LCME probation?

what is that all about?

Hi guys!!

Saw this Amazing thread n thot my prayers were answered..:)
I was just wondering if someone cud tell me if I should apply to Georgetown (or any other SMP) or not? I submitted my AMCAS VERY late (end of Sept) n haven't gotten any interviews yet.:(...
So i'm being realistic and searching for other options.
Stats:
cGPA: 3.75/4.0
MCAT: 28 (completely crashed here..:(..)
Science GPA: 3.98/4.0

Thanks....:D

Hi guys!!

Saw this Amazing thread n thot my prayers were answered..:)
I was just wondering if someone cud tell me if I should apply to Georgetown (or any other SMP) or not? I submitted my AMCAS VERY late (end of Sept) n haven't gotten any interviews yet.:(...
So i'm being realistic and searching for other options.
Stats:
cGPA: 3.75/4.0
MCAT: 28 (completely crashed here..:(..)
Science GPA: 3.98/4.0

Thanks....:D

SMP? No. With those GPAs, there's something wrong with your app for you to not be getting interviews. You could spend $50k on an SMP and do no better next time you apply. You'd do far better to retake the MCAT, beef up your ECs, make sure your LORs are stellar, and try again.

And for the love of all that's holy, get OUT of the habit of using IM speak. Adcoms are mostly my age and oh do we ever find it annoying. Practice professionalism.

Best of luck to you.

Hello again,

I am so, very sorry for using the IM. Sometimes I just get carried away with it (I hate typing).

Anyways, thank you very much for your advice. I was unsure whether the fact that I transferred from a community college (and thus did most of my pre-requisite courses there) would make any difference as far as my GPA is concerned?

As for ECs (which i figured out meant Extracurricular!), I think my ECs are very good. I have volunteered ALOT (locally as well as internationally) and I have alot of shadowing experience as well.
I have taken the MCAT twice; 28 was my latest score. I am not sure about the letters though since I cannot have access to them.
Wow, I was really excited about the SMP!

Again, thank you so much for your advice.

That's all about GWU. Different school. http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm#DC

Oh wonderful! Thanks DrMidlife, this was something I had heard secondhand and had found rather alarming!

i was also wondering what people had heard about the camaraderie/community in Georgetown. It's a larger program, but it seems in terms of coursework it's the best of its kind.

Hey Guys,

I received the informal email acceptance this morning. I received the "File Complete" email last Thursday. HOWEVER, I was accepted into the program last year, so I'm pretty sure that has something to do with the quick turn around time.

Good Luck to everyone else applying this year!

Hi guys,

Does anybody know if the maximum limit for the personal statement is 500 ? Mine is like 550...and its still under a page which is also a requirement on their website. Did anyone who was accepted submit a personal statement a little over 500?

Also, I took some college classes back in high school. Should I incorporate that into my BCPM? and my overall undergraduate GPA? Thanks!

So are you going to do it and also how come you didn't go the previous year if you got in last year? I'm just curious.

I will hear back about med school acceptances in March. If I do not receive positive news, I'll likely attend.

I have a low BCPM (3.29), but strong trend, with all A's my last 2.5 years of college, many of those in upper level science courses. I improved my MCAT last spring, so I decided to apply and hopefully get in without having to spend 36K on the Masters. However, I've only received 2 interviews (1 resulted in a rejection, the other school will likely let me know in March).

How long does it take them to input all your rec letters, MCAT scores, and transcripts into your application file? My transcripts and rec letters were sent on 2/6 from CA. Also, my MCAT score release status page has been complete for about 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Does anybody know the answer to this question? I've confirmed that my transcripts, mcat scores and LORs have been send nothing has been updated. Thanks!

Does anybody know the answer to this question? I've confirmed that my transcripts, mcat scores and LORs have been send nothing has been updated. Thanks!

I emailed the SMP office earlier this week. They got back to me today saying that they're running behind and hope to have everything updated by the end of the week.

I emailed the SMP office earlier this week. They got back to me today saying that they're running behind and hope to have everything updated by the end of the week.

Thanks so much for the info. I might give them a call if I don't see any changes by the middle of next week.

Dr. JD,

I asked this question earlier on this thread but I'd like to get your opinion. I just found out I'm on the alternate list at San Antonio for the second straight year. I'm wondering if sending a letter to Gtown basically stating this fact would give me some leverage. Of even if it's a good idea in the first place. Thanks.

I just checked my app status and my transcript and mcat scores were "received". however, im still waiting on the status of my rec letters.

Dr. JD,

I asked this question earlier on this thread but I'd like to get your opinion. I just found out I'm on the alternate list at San Antonio for the second straight year. I'm wondering if sending a letter to Gtown basically stating this fact would give me some leverage. Of even if it's a good idea in the first place. Thanks.

Hey, congrats on the alternate list in San Antonio! I love San Antonio :) I really wanted to go back to Texas for medical school but no such luck as a technical "out of state" student. Anyway! As far as letting G-town know that... hmm... I actually don't think it will really matter at this point.

Have you heard back from G-town? I think that if you are waitlisted at G-town then letting them know that may be a great way to help get you off of the list, but if they are still in their preliminary review I don't think you need to worry about it yet. If you a 3.0 or higher, and a 28 or higher (because you were able to get alternate listed at an MD school I am assuming you have good LOR's and experience) I think you will do great! If they reject you outright the first time, you can also appeal letting them know that you were able to get waitlisted at an MD school.

Hope this helps!