Georgetown SMP, Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This question goes out to those that have been accepted or to those who are or have been in the program. Once I received my unofficial acceptance notice it said that my official notice should be expected in the mail in around 4 weeks. It has been about 4 weeks and I have yet to receive the notice. I am just curious if anyone has received it yet? I am not yet concerned but I would like to know if this normal because if it is not I will go about contacting Georgetown to see what is wrong. Thank you to anyone that can provide me with any help.

Members don't see this ad.

First post ever here. I guess senior year with an uncertain future is getting to me. How competitive is it to get into the Georgetown SMP? Im worried about my stats (30R, BCPM: 3.3 Cum: 3.5). I think I have some great credentials as well, with lots of leadership experience, TA for anatomy and a community health class, and so on).

Is there anything specific that makes those of you that got in stand out?

One more question...

On the application, is it require for us to submit a resume if we have already submitted an AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just realized that I want to take a year off and attempt to apply to allopathic schools again. My stats right now are 3.76 Cum (3.82 nonsci, 3.71 sci) and 26Q MCAT (GPA from AMCAS). How many students do they take every year? What do you think my chances are? Can I send in my health profession recommendation packet without having my professor upload all the LOR's since it is already in the registrar and ready to go?

Thanks Guys

Hey guys,

I just realized that I want to take a year off and attempt to apply to allopathic schools again. My stats right now are 3.76 Cum (3.82 nonsci, 3.71 sci) and 26Q MCAT (GPA from AMCAS). How many students do they take every year? What do you think my chances are? Can I send in my health profession recommendation packet without having my professor upload all the LOR's since it is already in the registrar and ready to go?

Thanks Guys

I'd hate to see you spend money on an SMP with that GPA. In your shoes I'd do whatever it takes to get that MCAT score up over 30, and do whatever it takes to find out how you were perceived by app reviewers and to find out what's in your LORs. What do you need to do to make yourself a more interesting candidate? I doubt it's an SMP. I also don't think you applied to enough MD schools - I'd be thinking more like 20.

My $.02, hope it helps. Best of luck to you.

This question goes out to those that have been accepted or to those who are or have been in the program. Once I received my unofficial acceptance notice it said that my official notice should be expected in the mail in around 4 weeks. It has been about 4 weeks and I have yet to receive the notice. I am just curious if anyone has received it yet? I am not yet concerned but I would like to know if this normal because if it is not I will go about contacting Georgetown to see what is wrong. Thank you to anyone that can provide me with any help.

I received my informal acceptance on Jan 23, so it's been a bit more than 4 weeks for me as well. I think I'll wait it out for another 2 weeks before I start inquiring. Let me know when you find out! :whistle:

I think you are good, I'd hold off another week or two. It is bureaucratic so sometimes it just takes a while. If you got the e-mail, no need to worry! If you still haven't gotten the letter in a couple weeks then you can call...

DrJD,

If this is true, then is it also true that it may be helpful to let them know that I had talked with 3 admissions officers, my former USF adcom director -- now UCF's adcom director, the current adcom director at USF and also USF's head of admissions committee, who all advised me to do either USF IMS or another similar SMP???

Do you think that would help me get off a waitlist???

Hmmm, I don't think so... If you have been on the waitlist ad a medical school then that shows that your credentials are almost there but that you just need a boost. While showing that medical directors think you should go to an SMP I think wouldn't help all that much. Now, in a few months when they really start pulling from the waitlist then you can go all out and write a really nice Letter of Intent. (Or you can write that now if you know that G-town is your first choice) And on your LOI I would just include a small paragraph about how one of the many reasons you want to attend Georgetown is because you have spoken with adcom directors who suggested it would compliment your file nicely. Good luck!

First post ever here. I guess senior year with an uncertain future is getting to me. How competitive is it to get into the Georgetown SMP? Im worried about my stats (30R, BCPM: 3.3 Cum: 3.5). I think I have some great credentials as well, with lots of leadership experience, TA for anatomy and a community health class, and so on).

You are the perfect candidate for the SMP. I don't know the details of your extra curriculars but by the numbers you are, like I said, the perfect candidate. Definitely apply and I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Slickrick, I have practically identical stats and I received my unofficial acceptance ~3-4 weeks ago. I think if you get your application in as soon as possible, you will have a good chance of getting in.

Hello,
I'm finalizing my application to Georgetown's SMP, I was curious your input on my chances etc. I take the MCAT in April for the first time. Will the SMP give me some type of acceptance variable upon how I score on the test in April (IE is there some type of partial acceptance?)? Will I not know anything until they receive my first MCAT score? Just trying to plan out the summer in case I get accepted.

Major: Philosophy
Cum. GPA: 3.55 (Variable upon whether this GPA spreadsheet is accurate)
Cum. BCMP: 3.41
Over 1000 hours working as an EMT (Ed-tech 1) in an Emergency room.
Over 600 hours volunteering.
Board member of a local hospital's bio-ethics board.
Etc.

I had a question about the personal statement for this program. Did you write a new personal statement specifically for this program, or did you just use the one you wrote for the AMCAS application? If you did not apply to med school this year, did you specifically talk about why you wanted to go the the program at Georgetown, or just talk about why you wanted to go to medical school? Thanks!

Your ECs look fine and your GPA is average but without your MCAT there is no telling what kinda chances you get and if you are taking it in April scores will most likely come out after the deadline for Gtown SMP. Your deadline for the app is May 15th and they won't consider you complete without all information.

The only other option you have is to take the GRE as soon as possible if you can prepare for that as well. Otherwise I don't think you stand a shot for this year because of the lateness your app will have and I'm not sure how it works with the whole deadline thing if you are going to be getting the score after the deadline passes. I'd call Ms. Cabiness at 202-687-1179 and see what she has to say on the issue.

Also, for all you know depending on how high your MCAT score is and where you are applying you may not need the program. So talk with admissions directors who do advising at schools of interest if possible.

It states on the SMP website that I can take the MCAT until the April 7th test (which I am enrolled to take), and still be considered for the fall. Just wondering if any previous SMPers had this similar scenario, and how did it fare? Thanks for all your input, Im really impressed with all members of this board.

i applied to the main SMPs, and have gotten into Cincy and G'town (leaning towards G'town now!!).

I just wanted to get people's opinions on whether or not this will affect my chances at Cincy or for that matter the places I haven't heard from yet: Drexel, EVMS, Loyola, for med school.

Haha, I guess the problem would be solved if I could get into G'town med straightaway :)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone currently in the SMP tell me about how much they took out for living expenses (ie. everything above tuition and school related fees) in the 2008-2009 year and whether it was too much, not enough, or about right?

Can anyone currently in the SMP tell me about how much they took out for living expenses (ie. everything above tuition and school related fees) in the 2008-2009 year and whether it was too much, not enough, or about right?

Everyone I know who took out loans took out the full amount. It comes to about 9000 dollars back at the beginning of each semester. It is plenty, but not plentiful.

I'd suggest you take the full amount because even though you could probably live on less you will need the extra for interview traveling, plus secondaries, etc. etc.

I think it is technically too much, but if you have some left over put it in a savings account and you can take out less your first year in medical school.

Everyone I know who took out loans took out the full amount. It comes to about 9000 dollars back at the beginning of each semester. It is plenty, but not plentiful.

I'd suggest you take the full amount because even though you could probably live on less you will need the extra for interview traveling, plus secondaries, etc. etc.

I think it is technically too much, but if you have some left over put it in a savings account and you can take out less your first year in medical school.

Thanks. That makes sense.

I received my informal acceptance on Jan 23, so it's been a bit more than 4 weeks for me as well. I think I'll wait it out for another 2 weeks before I start inquiring. Let me know when you find out! :whistle:

i got my letter today, but it has been a little over 5 weeks from when i first got my 'unofficial acceptance' email. so i guess they are a little behind.

Yea, I just received my official acceptance today as well. So it took about 5 weeks for me.

Got my offical letter in the mail too today. Waited 5 weeks too.

Fenthion & UCLAneuro, have you looked into FAFSA and other loans yet?

This is perhaps getting ahead of the ball considering I haven't been accepted, though I'm complete now woo hoo!, but my sister and my best friend are planning on getting married in September (same wedding) here in Texas. With the SMP starting mid August and tests surely in September this looks like it could potentially be a problem, at least a hassle. Anybody have any thoughts on that one?

This is perhaps getting ahead of the ball considering I haven't been accepted, though I'm complete now woo hoo!, but my sister and my best friend are planning on getting married in September (same wedding) here in Texas. With the SMP starting mid August and tests surely in September this looks like it could potentially be a problem, at least a hassle. Anybody have any thoughts on that one?

Well it will depend on the weekend :)

If it is a non-test weekend then you will have no problem missing class. They don't take attendance or anything, and you can be gone for as long as you want. (Obviously you will have make up the studying at some point...) Tests are either on Friday or Monday... So either way you could make the wedding, but it might be a stretch.

Sometimes the module directors will work with students to take the test later, so that is always an option as well. You definitely won't have to miss your sister's wedding! What weekend is it? I can try and find my schedule from last semester and see if we had a test around it...

Got my offical letter in the mail too today. Waited 5 weeks too.

Fenthion & UCLAneuro, have you looked into FAFSA and other loans yet?

FAFSA is submitted (but still needs to be updated with 2008 tax return), will start looking into stafford loans soon...

Received my official hard-copy acceptance yesterday; mailed in deposit and confirmation of enrollment today.

:)

Currently working on my fafsa app. and then going to look into applying for other loans.

so i was complete on 2/26 and this morning i got an email from Mrs. Cabiness saying:
"Thank you for your interest in the Special Masters Program. Your application is complete and under review. We are currently migrating to a new computer system, please allow at least four weeks for a reply."

FOUR WEEKS???

That's just a max time limit but it will probably take 1-2 weeks if it is anything like when they sent me and almost everyone else on here that email who has already been given a decision.

Hang in there. They will get back to you in 1-2 weeks with most likely a waitlist or unofficial acceptance. That has been the trends on here thus far. I imagine the 4 week thing would be once it is cutting close to the edge of deadlines cuz then we'll be seeing a lot more people applying if they aren't getting off waitlists and/or people getting off med school waitlists and dropping acceptances meaning that they'll have to decide between waitlisted candidates and those who they have yet to decide on.

I'm sure this is just a standard message for those reasons, much like AMCAS has a standard 4-6 week layover for verification but if you turn it in earlier more like a few days. haha.

Good luck and best wishes with getting in.

what a relief. thanks for clearing that up! I didn't know others who have been accepted/waitlisted had received that same message.

Hey guys, just wanted to see what y'all thought of my application:

Undergrad at a top 15 liberal arts college
uGPA:3.25
sGPA:3.3 (BS Biology cum laude)
MCAT: 30S
Excellent extracurriculars and leadership.

Post Grad:

Working as a research tech in a gnotobiotic genetically engineered mouse facility and shadowing/volunteering in the ER 4 hours a week.

What do you think my chances are at the SMP? I'm still holding out for a few in-state med school acceptances, but before y'all go all SDN type-A on me about having no chance at the big enchilada, realize that I'm from one of the easiest states in which to apply as a resident, Alabama.

Anyone see any status updates online since two weeks ago? I'm trying to figure out if they actually got my transcripts or whether or not I need to resend them.

Hey guys, just wanted to see what y'all thought of my application:

Undergrad at a top 15 liberal arts college
uGPA:3.25
sGPA:3.3 (BS Biology cum laude)
MCAT: 30S
Excellent extracurriculars and leadership.

Post Grad:

Working as a research tech in a gnotobiotic genetically engineered mouse facility and shadowing/volunteering in the ER 4 hours a week.

What do you think my chances are at the SMP? I'm still holding out for a few in-state med school acceptances, but before y'all go all SDN type-A on me about having no chance at the big enchilada, realize that I'm from one of the easiest states in which to apply as a resident, Alabama.

Hey,
Your app sounds like mine, except i got a 29O. I feel like we both have a pretty good chance at this and other SMPs. good luck to ya!

Hmm well then there is still the issue of late apps. It all would depend on your scores and whether or not people have dropped acceptances if they are too full by then. My only concern is that being that late you might end up being waitlisted. That is what happened to a friend who was complete that late in the game. You won't be considered til you are complete. Have you considered taking the GRE and then updating them with MCAT scores after you get that? Just so that you are not late. My friend applied last year with a similar GPA but she did not have a severely high MCAT score. She was waitlisted and never really heard back from Gtown. On the other hand I've seen people from the waitlist get off in as late as July and heard they accept sometimes right up until August.

I suppose the only way to see how past applicants in this situation fared would be to read through the 2009 thread.

DrJD,
Do you have any experience with fellow applicants in my position? All you guys and gals rock!

DrJD,
Do you have any experience with fellow applicants in my position? All you guys and gals rock!

As far as I know they will not give you any sort of "conditional" acceptance or anything of the sort. If you don't take the MCAT until April, unfortunately your app won't be complete or considered until May. That being said, you have an extremely competitive GPA and I think you have a really good chance of getting admitted even that late in the game.

If you are going to be in the area at all you can talk with the administrators and they would probably be willing to give you an idea of your chances in person. If you got a 28 or higher though, I think you'd be golden!

I have finally received my MCAT score from the Jan 30 test date. Now I can get my app completed and hopefully approved. Cheers fellas, I hope to be able to come back and post some good news :xf:
Lots of good stuff in here, keep it rollin

As far as I know they will not give you any sort of "conditional" acceptance or anything of the sort. If you don't take the MCAT until April, unfortunately your app won't be complete or considered until May. That being said, you have an extremely competitive GPA and I think you have a really good chance of getting admitted even that late in the game.

If you are going to be in the area at all you can talk with the administrators and they would probably be willing to give you an idea of your chances in person. If you got a 28 or higher though, I think you'd be golden!

Thanks for your reply. Is there a particular administrator that I should contact to ask about such a meeting? I have yet to visit DC, and I think it would be a good idea to browse around the campus and see what it might be like if they accept me.

Thanks for your reply. Is there a particular administrator that I should contact to ask about such a meeting? I have yet to visit DC, and I think it would be a good idea to browse around the campus and see what it might be like if they accept me.

Either Dr. Myers or Dr. Mulroney would be good... Dr. Mulroney is the program directory and Dr. Myers used to be the program directory so they are both heavily involved. They are both really nice too!

Hey guys and girls - it looks like i'll be joining the class of 2010 (barring an unforeseen miracle of me being pulled off of my #1 alternate list allo). I'm really excited to meet everyone ... a little less excited about the ~60k in loans.... but excited nonetheless!

I didn't want to start posting in this thread regularly before i got a response from the school (so as to not psych myself up too much), but i've been reading for a while and im looking forward to joining the community and helping out! (For those who are interested in turn-around time, i got the 'under-review' email on Feb 26th)

Best of luck to those still waiting on responses and on the wait-list!

I've heard Georgetown gives a list of med schools that we should apply to. I was wondering if some one could post them here?

Just got the "Hold List" email, as expected but earlier than I thought.

I submitted 2/6, complete 2/26, hold list email on 3/6. I also got the expect four weeks for a reply cuz of system change but it took 9 days instead. FYI.

For those waiting to hear back:

Submitted 2/6
Completed 2/26
Decision 3/6

Keylimepie we have the same dates!!!!

Cept you got in and I got waitlisted....sad face.

Does anyone know how long it takes them to process an MCAT official score? I sent mine in on Monday and it's the last piece of my application before it's complete.

i sent them my mcat score a week ago and it's still not updated on the page so who knows?

a quick question to those who know: Where do we take the majority of our classes? Are we located near the Georgetown Univ Hospital or further SE? Thanks for any info.

a quick question to those who know: Where do we take the majority of our classes? Are we located near the Georgetown Univ Hospital or further SE? Thanks for any info.

You take all of your classes on the medical campus. The medical school lectures are in the main auditorium in the Med-Dent building. The grad classes are either in med-dent or NRB (New Research Building)

The medical campus is right next to the hospital as well. Hope this helps!

so it seems like for the most of you that it took about three weeks for all your information (MCAT score, LORs, transcripts, etc) to be entered into the system?

Does anyone know how people typically pay for med app costs while in georgetown's smp? I'm currently working in a lab and I'm not sure if I'll be able to save up enough for the costs prior to enrolling in the program if accepted.

Do you know DrJD?

Does anyone know how people typically pay for med app costs while in georgetown's smp? I'm currently working in a lab and I'm not sure if I'll be able to save up enough for the costs prior to enrolling in the program if accepted.

...Loans. :eek:

my rec letters were marked as complete this past friday so they took about a week. my mcat and transcript aren't updated on the website though, although they should have received it by now...