Georgetown SMP 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys I got accepted to the program but after visiting both schools I decided on the BU MAMS program, so I will be withdrawing today. Hopefully one of you can get off the waitlist!

My stats were 3.4 cGPA , 3.38 sGPA, 34S, 3.5 years of research, lots of leadership, clinical volunteering, top 15 undergrad school.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got into Georgetown's SMP program and as I sit here pondering the financial implications of forking over 44k to do this I'm beginning to wonder this program is worth attending.

After some number crunching, it looks like the SMP is only economically feasible for me IF it helps me get into a UC.

So... what are my chances of getting into either ucsd, uci, ucla, or ucd with...

good performance at the SMP program (hopefully)
2.5 years of clinical research experience/volunteer work in psychiatry and neurology
3.6 sGPA/3.55 cGPA from UCSD
31P

oh and I'm of southeast asian descent if that even matters...

Last edited:
From what I've read is that yes, the program helps you get into a UC if you do well; however; you have to be willing to wait the extra year as they like for you to have finished the program before applying. This is strictly hearsay though and I'd suggest getting it straight from the med school adcoms mouth. Otherwise, if you look at the list of where alumni have matriculated in past years you will see a few UC admissions (can be found on the 'alumni' page/link on the website).

With that gpa though, did you not have any luck with MD admissions or have you applied? It seems to me that you would benefit most from an mcat course to bump your score up a few points rather than an SMP. Cheaper too.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've read is that yes, the program helps you get into a UC if you do well; however; you have to be willing to wait the extra year as they like for you to have finished the program before applying. This is strictly hearsay though and I'd suggest getting it straight from the med school adcoms mouth. Otherwise, if you look at the list of where alumni have matriculated in past years you will see a few UC admissions (can be found on the 'alumni' page/link on the website).

With that gpa though, did you not have any luck with MD admissions or have you applied? It seems to me that you would benefit most from an mcat course to bump your score up a few points rather than an SMP. Cheaper too.

As a part of the class of 2011, I would have to agree with the above sentiments, although it's possible you may have to readjust your overall expectations as all the UC schools are exceptionally difficult to get into. While overall your stats seem fine, I would say your MCAT is the weakest component of your application (though not by much, and it's certainly a respectable score.

My real advice is to just apply broadly and retake your MCAT in the Winter/Spring if you're not getting anywhere.

...I would say your MCAT is the weakest component of your application (though not by much, and it's certainly a respectable score.

I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't knocking your MCAT in any way: I got the same numerical score myself! :)

Hey everyone,
Longtime SDN lurker, first time poster! :)
Currently wait listed at GTown with 3.3 GPA and a 30S MCAT. Sending :luck: to everyone still wait listed. :xf: for some movement and some acceptances for us.

Does anyone know how many people are generally on the wait list?

Just got accepted!
(gpa3.48, mcat 31Q)
any girls looking for roommates? :)
let me know plz!!

So let me preface this by saying that I got my acceptance yesterday (finally!) and I was obviously very pleased with that. Now I have a big dilemma on my hands: I have a competing acceptance offer from BU MAMS. They were the first school to send an acceptance and at the time not knowing how the other two schools would decide (Cincy being the third; waitlisted and don't care anymore at this point), I went ahead and put down the $200 deposit by the 5/31 deadline just in case I didn't get in anywhere else (which I can withdraw at any time). Anyway I've obviously been weighing my options, and it basically it comes down to a few things:

- GU is a 1 yr. program -- I'm going against their "advice" by waiting next summer to apply. I'm a recent college grad (UCSD c/o 2011), and as my application stands now with my stats (3.28c, 3.1s, 32Q) and pretty sparse clinical/research exp, application this year with only a semester's worth of grades (if med schools decided to even hold out until they came out) would be a total crapshoot and most likely a huge waste of money/time. I'm aware that BU's program CAN be done in 1, but most people do it in 2 and apparently it's "virtually impossible" to get a thesis done over the summer without previous lab work, according to someone on their forum. The 2nd year at BU can definitely help, but I like the idea of being back at home while applying and having a real "gap year" to pursue other interests and spruce up other areas of my application (like EC's) as I see fit.

- Track record: According to BU, 70% of their graduates end up in US medical schools. I understand their program is well-structured and great, but that's a bit disconcerting...I have no intentions of applying to Carribean medical schools and would prefer to attend an allopathic over an osteopathic medical school. Don't know the exact figures but I think Georgetown's numbers are a little better (counting the people like myself who apply/re-apply the summer after finishing the program).

I'd most like to hear opinions from people who decided to attend Georgetown's over BU's program, or even people who decided the opposite (like the poster above). Under the impression I'm gonna be attending GU this August I obviously have very little time to make a decision. I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I'm leaning towards GU, but at any rate it's a decision nobody should lightly and I'd like to get as much outside input as I can before I fully commit to one school. Thanks in advice for all your guys' help.

Just got in! I'm pondering at the moment because I have an acceptance from EVMS...if you guys have any thoughts, please post!

Members don't see this ad :)
longtime lurker and finally poster here too-- I thought this might be informative for some--

Just got my waitlist notification today (application in 5/13, complete on 6/14). cGPA3.5, sGPA 3.35, 30. Updating them now with spring grades and hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys in DC!

longtime lurker and finally poster here too-- I thought this might be informative for some--

Just got my waitlist notification today (application in 5/13, complete on 6/14). cGPA3.5, sGPA 3.35, 30. Updating them now with spring grades and hopefully I'll be seeing some of you guys in DC!

:luck: artstarr. Good Luck to both of us.

Accepted!!! 3.25 ugpa from a very well respected undergrad, and 32 MCAT. Totally freaking out about quitting my job and moving across the country to an extremely expensive city in less than a month.

hey everyone, just wanted to let you know,

I was accepted today off the waitlist after reporting my updated/improved MCAT score.

I ultimately decided not to accept because I will be doing the Tufts SMP program in the fall. Hopefully one of you guys will get my spot! good luck!!

I was accepted today to the g-town program. Stats: 3.46/3.46/31P double major in biochemistry and neuroscience from a well-respected institution. But now I have a dilemma: g-town SMP or Hopkins MHS. The programs are so different and I'm having a difficult time trying to decide between the two. I'm really interested in the MHS program, but g-town has such a great reputation. Any advice?

For those of you who received an acceptance/waitlisted, did you receive it by email or mail?

I completed my application in April but I haven't heard anything from them.

I wouldn't expect to get an acceptance based on everyone's reported stats. My MCAT is a bit low. But I would think that they would let me know something eventually.....

Hey everyone, I've been a long time lurker and found this place to be a fantastic resource, but this is my first actual post. Got an email today from Amy Richards saying I was placed on the high priority wait list. Anyone here get accepted from the HP waitlist and how long did it take before you heard back from them again?

Getting a little nervous since classes start on the 4th of next month!

Submitted Application: 5/5/11
Confirmation Email: 5/12/11
Waitlist Email: 7/13/11

misssciencenerd--> they send acceptances and waitlists via e-mail, and rejections by post. since its been almost 3 months i would go ahead and call them to see whats up

Hey Everyone, I was just notified that I was accepted to the program! I got the waitlist email 2 days ago as well so I'm super excited (I was not on the high priority waitlist)

22 male, clean, and studious - anyone in need of a roomate?

I also just found out I got into the program... I was put on the waitlist a few days ago.

If anyone has a place and is looking for a roommate, please let me know. I'm 24/m, clean, and very studious.

Since people show up on this thread more often.

I was curious what Georgetown SMP can do for me. I have a 2.95 bpcm GPA from a prestigious undergrad private school (top 10) with a 36 MCAT.
Will it hurt me if I only get a 3.5 in this. I just got into this by the way, but also got into Toledo's which has a far better linkage. Still, wondering if I should branch out?

^do you mind if I ask what your cumulative GPA was? Thanks :)

I got high priority waitlisted (is this different from any other waitlist?) here, but accepted into BU MAMS. I told them I would like to go to Gtown, but I can't wait much longer because BU needs a response by early next week. Any advice?

Hey everyone:

Just found out I got into the SMP (been on the waitlist for a while now, got bumped up to high priority waitlist last week). Just wondering if anyone planning on attending next year is still looking for a roommate. I'm 22/m and clean, looking to live near campus (Georgetown, Dupont Circle area).

PM me if you are interested!

Hey all
I have a rather weird question but here goes. Is it possible to attend the Georgetown SMP courses without being formally enrolled in the program and/or purchase or obtain the course syllabus and materials? It's a large program so if it's like a university course, no one would probably ask who an extra student was. I know it sounds bizarre but I wanted to get an idea of the material covered so I wanted to get the course materials so that I could at least read through and see if I was ready for the rigors?

:cool:

Hey all
I have a rather weird question but here goes. Is it possible to attend the Georgetown SMP courses without being formally enrolled in the program and/or purchase or obtain the course syllabus and materials? It's a large program so if it's like a university course, no one would probably ask who an extra student was. I know it sounds bizarre but I wanted to get an idea of the material covered so I wanted to get the course materials so that I could at least read through and see if I was ready for the rigors?

:cool:

As a recent graduate of the program I can assure you that this is possible - the science classes are in large lecture halls where attendence is not monitored and you can freely get around the buildings during normal business hours. Having said that, you won't have access to the lecture notes or syllabi since those require online accounts. Honestly, attending the lectures to try and get a leg up on next year's class seems like a waste of time.

Hi Gridguy
So they don't have hard copies of lecture notes for sale? I would agree that simply going to class and listening is not enough because honestly I imagine they require more material to know than what is lectured. From what I was reading (but you would know better), they sell the lecture packets but I could be wrong.

Hi guys
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this (apologies if it isn't). I'm just curious from alums and those knowledgeable about the program, how is this program set up? I know you take classes with the medical students and graduate classes but how is the curriculum designed. Purusing the g'town SOM website, I found that each of these courses runs for about a month independently so essentially is a crash course in each of these units by virtue of them being so compressed into about a month. So are the medical classes in this modular format of having each class in series? The what about the graduate courses, are they taken throughout the semester or are they also in this modular format.

Anyone's wisdom would likely be helpful to many of us still trying to understand.

Hi Gridguy
So they don't have hard copies of lecture notes for sale? I would agree that simply going to class and listening is not enough because honestly I imagine they require more material to know than what is lectured. From what I was reading (but you would know better), they sell the lecture packets but I could be wrong.

While I never did this, I believe they actually charge your student account to get the printed notes... so once again you need to be an enrolled student.

When we had our orientation in August 2010, it was explained to us like this... if you're working 80+ hours a week as a physician, why would you not have to work at least as hard to become a physician? I did not really know what that statement meant at orientation, but a year later it is all too clear.

Congrats to all those of who got accepted!

this kind of makes me nervous though..im going to apply for their next cycle and im starting to feel hesitant about my grades...ill be finishing up my senior year this fall. my stats (cumulative gpa estimated)

3.09cgpa, 3.63sgpa, 34MCAT (took!), 1 year UCLA pathologist volunteer, 2+ years ER scribe-paid job

agh...i just wish i could bring that cumulative gpa up but i would need more than a year of extra undergrad work to bring it up to even a 3.3!

congrats again and good luck to those waitlisted!

Hey!
I am looking into the program. I am about to graduate from Ohio State in March of 2012 and sit at about a 3.5 GPA. I am taking the MCATs in a week but have been getting between a 28-33 on my practices. What did you think of the program? Do they help you out with applying to Medical School? Any information you could provide me would be much appreciated!