Georgetown SMP 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for your reply gujuDoc- I'm also applying to the BU MAMS, UPenn Specialized Sciences, and UCin Physio programs...any chance you know what the possible outcomes could be these programs given the same circumstances for my application?

Also, are the students enrolled in the Georgetown SMP primarily entering straight out of college? I'm about a year and half out so I'm not sure if this will work to my disadvantage or not...?

If I may ask, is the person you know that didn't end up going to the Georgetown SMP happy with their decision? The Gtown SMP certainly seems to be one of the more expensive of the programs like it out there, but the fact that it is a one year program is really appealing...in my research of SMPs the only one-year non-thesis requiring master's programs I found with Gtown, UCinn, Tulane, and NY Medical College. Do you know of any others I may have overlooked?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most are about a year out. Many are straight from college or a few years out, as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Planning on submitting mine sometime January : > MCAT score won't be released till February though. A 500 word personal statement is pretty short no?

well that is if you haven't filled out an amcas. If you have filled out an amcas then you just attach a paper that says see amcas.

That's what I did when I applied in 2009

Yeah I haven't filled out the AMCAS yet. I'm having some difficulty condensing it all into 500 words lol

edit: never mind :confused: sorry

Last edited:
hows everyones appz coming along?

I just finished the personal statement for this application. I structured it as follow:

paragraph 1: a short story about an event that occurred that had directed me towards medicine

paragraph 2: followed up my talking about my interest in biological science and experience in EC

That's when I hit the 1 page/~500word limit for the essay. Is that fine as far as the structure and general outline of the essay go? Or is the short story too much for a short essay like this?

You should kinda focus also on why and how the SMP will help your goals for the Gtown SMP essay.

I mean you don't really focus on the why SMP if you are sending an amcas essay as substitute for essay but if you are writing the independent essay that Gtown itself has then I'd include it in there.

Thanks for the reply. In that case, can I perhaps include a last paragraph stating why I am pursuing an SMP and how it can help me? If that's the case, do I write about why my grade isn't as great and which is why I am pursuing SMP?

I just got into G-Town SMP for next year. Anyone else hear back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question...

I don't have an amcas.
I have everything complete for the application; however, i feel that my brief descriptions for the supplemental information are not very brief. Just wondering if you can give me any insight into what they're looking for? I have 6 pages total...

Thanks

Where do I upload the personal statement? There's a section on the application for it but at the same time the Supplement Data asks for personal statement as well.

"Some of this information is also requested on the on-line application-- you may type, "see Supplemental Data", in the duplicate sections of the on-line application."

So does that mean I upload a document saying "see Supplemental Data" on sections such as personal statement?

Also, if I had enrolled in a CC once but dropped the classes within 2 weeks and end up not taking any classes there at all, do I include that on the application ?

Thanks GujuDoc, I will follow your advise.

I believe the you attach the personal statement with the supplemental information...

Wait so does anything show up on your transcript for the CCs? I mean like do u have a W that shows up for withdrawing or did u withdraw before there was any W or anything to show up on your transcript? if u dropped in the drop add period when nothing was going to show up on a transcript and you have no other classes at this CC then its irrelevant.

There is no W and nothing on transcript. Thanks for the reply!

By the way for my personal statement, my last paragraph I pretty much said I did not give my all during undergraduate. Which is why I pick GT, to show that I am capable of handling medical school by enrolling in the med school classes in SMP. Will that be sufficient for "Why GT?"

I would never just say I did not give my all. That is not the kind of impression u want to leave in an adcoms mind. And one sentence?? That's barely enough to get that point across. At least 2-3.

That is poorly written the way you worded it. You have to say why you did not get good grades in ugrad: i.e. was it poor time management, poor judgement in course loads, etc. Not just I did not give my all. Then say "However, I have since worked on those areas. however, I believe Georgetown SMP will allow me to further show these improvements and thus aide my future goals". or something to that extent.

I actually have a paragraph worth (4-5 sentences), I was just giving a very condensed form of what I was saying. But I see your point and will most likely make some changes. Thanks :thumbup:

I would never just say I did not give my all. That is not the kind of impression u want to leave in an adcoms mind. And one sentence?? That's barely enough to get that point across. At least 2-3.

That is poorly written the way you worded it. You have to say why you did not get good grades in ugrad: i.e. was it poor time management, poor judgement in course loads, etc. Not just I did not give my all. Then say "However, I have since worked on those areas. however, I believe Georgetown SMP will allow me to further show these improvements and thus aide my future goals". or something to that extent.

Should our personal statements have an explanation for our low GPA? I kind of wrote some stuff under some of my academic honors in the supplemental information.

My overall personal statement is about the reasons I chose medicine and how my experiences kind of shaped me. In the last paragraph I stated how the Georgetown SMP will help me by proving my studying and test taking skills are refined, and a successful completion of the program will help my overall goal to matriculate (in about 2-3 sentences). Is that sufficient?

I turned in nothing but my AMCAS and got in a few weeks ago....didn't specify or say a single word about the SMP program or explain anything. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by ToolHead
Alright...I feel a bit like my handle asking this but what do you guys think of my chances at Gtown?
cGPA 3.14
sGPA 3.21
MCAT 31M (7p 11b 13v)
I've been working in a Lab in the year since i graduated and a publication is on its way. I have about 72 hours of volunteering in a hospital. I also worked part time all through college if that counts for anything.
Also Should I retake the MCAT for MD admission? Also Also the Gtown website suggests you fill out the amcas app which i haven't done cause i figured id didnt have much of a chance ans decided to go straight to SMP...Which year should I fill out though( as I dont expect to go to MD school till at least 2012--which would mean the 2012 app which isnt out yet)?

I've also applied to BU, Ucinn, and Tufts

Last edited:
Alright...I feel a bit like my handle asking this but what do you guys think of my chances at Gtown?
cGPA 3.14
sGPA 3.21
MCAT 31M (7p 11b 13v)
I've been working in a Lab in the year since i graduated and a publication is on its way. I have about 72 hours of volunteering in a hospital. I also worked part time all through college if that counts for anything.
Also Should I retake the MCAT for MD admission? Also Also the Gtown website suggests you fill out the amcas app which i haven't done cause i figured id didnt have much of a chance ans decided to go straight to SMP...Which year should I fill out though( as I dont expect to go to MD school till at least 2012--which would mean the 2012 app which isnt out yet)?

I've also applied to BU, Ucinn, and Tufts

I'm in a similar boat.

You will start AMCAS application when they are released in the summer (june?) for FALL 2012 CLASS. For Gtown, you have to fill out the supplemental info.

13 in verbal?! nicely done. I'm not so sure what MD schools will think about that 7 in PS, though. You may have to retake.

I think you have a chance at admission. You said you already submitted your applications to BU, TUFTS, AND CINCY? Were they similar to the Gtown app, as far as the supplemental and personal statement go?

Yeah they were pretty similar...Not much change in terms of personal statement. I also started to apply to NYMC and they actualluse the same app program but they require two essays....so safe to say that app is still in limbo (haha). Yeah, i worry about the seven...it owned me. I dont even remember that part of the test. my subconscious has blocked it out for me.

I need some clarification on this- I thought that you needed to complete the entire graduate school application (included the 500 wrd PS) and then attach a PDF of your amcas if you have it as a secondary? I do have an amcas from this year and am trying to get this app out asap, so if I can just submit my amcas that would be awesome but I thought you had to do both.

Is anyone sure about this?

Option A: Upload a copy of your most recent AMCAS application in the Special Master's section of the on-line application. In the Personal Statement section of the Graduate School application, upload a document that reads, "see AMCAS statement". DO NOT mail a hard copy of the AMCAS. You may type, "see AMCAS" in the Academic Awards, Honors, Scholarships, Work Experience and Publication sections of the on-line application if they are covered in your AMCAS.

hey all, just decided to apply for this program. Med school apps aren't going so well right now...

For the supplemental data, it asked for science GPA for science courses (chemistry, physics, bio, math). Does that mean those classes specifically or ALL science classes related to those topics? What about labs?

Last edited:
For the supplemental data, it asked for science GPA for science courses (chemistry, physics, bio, math). Does that mean those classes specifically or ALL science classes related to those topics? What about labs?
You should check the aamc website, but definitely think labs count and its more of a 'natural sciences' gpa (for example neuroscience classes count towards it so its not just 'bcpm' classes).

uggh. My app is under review and so the waiting begins. Anyone else in the same boat? I got into the Tufts MBS program but really have my hopes set on Georgetown...

Same boat. My app is under review, too. I got into EVMS. Waiting on Cinci and Tufts, as well.

Complete and verified 2/22. Let's see what happens...

About to apply just got MCAT today 31O 2.96/2.95 science. I dont have much for references though because I have been out for 2 years.

Last edited:
So its been about two weeks since I got the 'under review email'....I know the rejection letter comes regular mail, so should I be worried? I got into BU, and Tufts, and waitlisted at cincy but I REALLY want to go to Georgetown.:xf: how long did it take for decisions for those who have already been accepted? Last years forum seemed to average a 3-9 days...

So its been about two weeks since I got the 'under review email'....I know the rejection letter comes regular mail, so should I be worried? I got into BU, and Tufts, and waitlisted at cincy but I REALLY want to go to Georgetown.:xf: how long did it take for decisions for those who have already been accepted? Last years forum seemed to average a 3-9 days...

So I was complete and under review on 1/22. And I just received an email this morning that I was accepted into the program. I called them every so often to check up on my status and they said it was still under review. I totally thought I was rejected, but I guess today was my lucky day :]. Good luck to you and everyone else applying!

wow. Thanks for the response! That eases my anxiety considerably although it means more waiting.

So I was complete and under review on 1/22. And I just received an email this morning that I was accepted into the program. I called them every so often to check up on my status and they said it was still under review. I totally thought I was rejected, but I guess today was my lucky day :]. Good luck to you and everyone else applying!
I forgot to say congratulations. Congratulations!

haha thanks man! i think i will end up going here since I just got a letter from WesternU which said they put me on the waitlist. doesn't seem like too many students get off the waitlist for their program unfortunately :[. but good luck and i hope you get some good news soon from georgetown!

hey you guys, i have a 3.2/36, average ec's, pretty subpar letters (they were all very well written, but one is from volunteer, one is from grad advisor, and one from well respected science professor, only 3 letters! :scared:)

my question is, is it too late to apply? i was originally gonna do informal postbac, but my parents want me to do an smp

also, do your LOR writers have to resend in the LOR? I attached an AMCAS application. I dont want georgetown to be sending my LOR writers extra emails and stuff like that, are they gonna do that?

also, do your LOR writers have to resend in the LOR? I attached an AMCAS application. I dont want georgetown to be sending my LOR writers extra emails and stuff like that, are they gonna do that?
I think they only send the one email and you have to resend yourself if you want them to be reminded (through the application).

my question is, is it too late to apply?

nope. your stats look pretty good too as long as you've taken all the pre-reqs

i thought that they would have my LOR sent in from amcas, so are you saying that my LOR writers need to all resend the LOR to georgetown?

thanks for the reply btw

i thought that they would have my LOR sent in from amcas, so are you saying that my LOR writers need to all resend the LOR to georgetown?

thanks for the reply btw
Yeah Im pretty sure you have to send it separate (i didnt have an amcas). Email them or call them though to make sure cause im definitely not an authority.

thanks for the reply btw

Submitting your AMCAS application (assuming you submitted a .pdf copy of your application) does not include the LOR's that were in your medical school application. I uploaded a copy of my AMCAS application and also noted the same letter writers on the Georgetown SMP application. I emailed these letter writers to tell them why they'd be receiving an email from Georgetown, but the good thing is that they just need to upload the same letter they wrote for AMCAS.

Hope that helps.

I just sent the same LORs I used for AMCAS to Gtown from my school's letter service, since they were saved on file. You can just do this, or interfolio; no need to get new letters, since LORs for med school work fine.

I was accepted this morning to Gtown SMP and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a deposit and how much it is? I'm still in the running at a couple of med schools. Waitlisted @ GW and upcoming interview @ wayne state. I thought I read somewhere that the deposit is refundable if you gain acceptance into medical school. Can anyone verify that? Well hopefully I get into med school and can give my spot to someone on the waitlist. I know how it feels.

I was accepted this morning to Gtown SMP and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a deposit and how much it is? I'm still in the running at a couple of med schools. Waitlisted @ GW and upcoming interview @ wayne state. I thought I read somewhere that the deposit is refundable if you gain acceptance into medical school. Can anyone verify that? Well hopefully I get into med school and can give my spot to someone on the waitlist. I know how it feels.

There is a deposit of $500 (http://smp.georgetown.edu/documents/ChecklistFinal2010.pdf). I'm also pretty sure that its refundable if you're accepted to med school this cycle though, I can't find it in writing. Let me know where you may have seen this so I know for sure. I'm also in the same boat as you re med school apps. I should know my final decision from two schools in the next two weeks. Since I know the decisions are coming soon I was planning on holding off on any deposits and responses to Georgetown until then.

Waitlisted. BU MAMS for now, but if anyone accepted to Gtown is still on MD waitlists I say this: Just have faith you'll get in an withdraw from Gtown ;).