Georgetown SMP 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biodreamer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's get this shindig started!

I've been eyeing this program for a while and will apply this December. I plan on taking the MCAT in January and completing my application come February. Anybody else applying to this program for the upcoming cycle?

Congrats to acceptees for 2010-2011! Any advice and comments would be appreciated from you guys!

Some useful links:
Georgetown University SMP site
Contact Georgetown SMP
Gap Year Programs

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this fall also. I am taking MCAT this september. can't wait till cycle opens up.

i will be applying this cycle as well... best of luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I applied to Georgetown SMP this past cycle and got in off the wait list. I eventually declined the spot and will be attending Toledo MSBS instead. However, I can tell you that Georgetown's program is fantastic in its own right. If I can be of more help as to why I chose what I chose and what I liked about Georgetown, etc, please pm me.

Good luck!

why did you choose toledo over G-town? price? linkage?

Starting it this early? I like your style. I will be applying this Fall too. Good luck to everyone. It's nice to finally have a thread (along with the other future 2011-2012 smp threads) I can call home.

why did you choose toledo over G-town? price? linkage?

Both are big reasons. G-Town is EXTREMELY expensive, not only in tuition but also in living expenses. Remember that it's in a really, really nice area. Also, if you check out the statistics, there is no real significant linkage into G-Town's med school as far as I know, I think like 15% of the people in the program get in. However, I think over half get into some medical school while in the program and around 85% get in eventually. It is a really great program, and I'm sure you can do great in it.

I loved Toledo because

1) Though tuition is high for the program for out of state, if you get into UTCOM, you can get in-state tuition after living in Ohio for a year. In the long run, it actually saves you money.

2) The linkage is quite strong into UTCOM, with around 75% of last year's class getting in.

3) It was really close to home for me, which is not a necessity but certainly a plus.

4) It's not an expensive area, and you can find a really nice place to live for a very low price.

5) You get to do a scholarly project, which I hear is great because you get to work alongside an MD or a Ph.D and can build connections that will be very useful in the future.

Again, Georgetown SMP is a terrific program, and if I didn't get into Toledo's MSBS, I almost certainly would have gone. that you get to take classes with med students (true for both programs) is really great and important.

Starting it this early? I like your style. I will be applying this Fall too. Good luck to everyone. It's nice to finally have a thread (along with the other future 2011-2012 smp threads) I can call home.

Go Anteaters! Zot! That is all :)

Just wondering, what kinda stats are you guys applying with? Just trying to gauge the level I'm at compared to others, thanks!

Both are big reasons. G-Town is EXTREMELY expensive, not only in tuition but also in living expenses. Remember that it's in a really, really nice area. Also, if you check out the statistics, there is no real significant linkage into G-Town's med school as far as I know, I think like 15% of the people in the program get in. However, I think over half get into some medical school while in the program and around 85% get in eventually. It is a really great program, and I'm sure you can do great in it.

I loved Toledo because

1) Though tuition is high for the program for out of state, if you get into UTCOM, you can get in-state tuition after living in Ohio for a year. In the long run, it actually saves you money.

2) The linkage is quite strong into UTCOM, with around 75% of last year's class getting in.

3) It was really close to home for me, which is not a necessity but certainly a plus.

4) It's not an expensive area, and you can find a really nice place to live for a very low price.

5) You get to do a scholarly project, which I hear is great because you get to work alongside an MD or a Ph.D and can build connections that will be very useful in the future.

Again, Georgetown SMP is a terrific program, and if I didn't get into Toledo's MSBS, I almost certainly would have gone. that you get to take classes with med students (true for both programs) is really great and important.

To be honest with you g-town SMP is not my 1st choice... it's way overpriced, not a great linkage... I would definately want to attend SMP that has a higher linkage. I should consider applying to Toledo SMP also. Thanks for your opinion.

I'll be in the applicant pool along with the rest of you guys! taking my MCAT this friday and I'll have my app in later this fall!

good luck with da MCAT nali1. gotta smash da MCAT!

I'll be in the applicant pool along with the rest of you guys! taking my MCAT this friday and I'll have my app in later this fall!

People apply as early as fall?! Sheesh...I was all proud of myself for attempting a February application.

Members don't see this ad :)
People apply as early as fall?! Sheesh...I was all proud of myself for attempting a February application.

yeah, some of the top SMP programs that have high matriculation into their own med school have really small class sizes so applying as early as possible is helpful. I mean if the class size is just 25 students and they're getting 300 applications, you want to give yourself the best shot possible

yah... Im kind of sick and tired of huge class size. My undergrad has a huge class size.

Oh yah, that is so true. but don't expect too much hot girls from med school :)

If you're looking for hot girls, I'd suggest you make sure you attend a medical school that is attached to a nursing school ;)

What is the average MCAT scorer for the g-town SMP program? I know they require at least a 28 but i mean..if you get a 31 or a 32, you usually get into at least one med school i would think.

What is the average MCAT scorer for the g-town SMP program? I know they require at least a 28 but i mean..if you get a 31 or a 32, you usually get into at least one med school i would think.

The class of 2010 had an average undergraduate GPA of 3.3 and MCAT of 31.7.

Very competitive.

The class of 2010 had an average undergraduate GPA of 3.3 and MCAT of 31.7.

Very competitive.

the stats is higher than I thought.... harder than DPM or Caribbean schools may be some DO...

compass- are you starting georgetown SMP program this fall or are you applying this year?

Starting? We're already through the first week of courses. :oops: Classes start with the medical school, which in my case was 8/9.

IC..... good luck with the SMP.... hopefully u get into g-town SOM.

Starting? We're already through the first week of courses. :oops: Classes start with the medical school, which in my case was 8/9.

Congratulations and Good Luck! I know in another thread you mention you were blogging your experience and was wondering if you wanted to post a link, I'd love to follow along. I finally got a chance to go back and read DrJD and really enjoyed it.

hey, good luck to all the new applicants! It's really early, hope you have luck with med apps - but this smp is a great option if things don't work out.

I'm a recent SMP-2010 grad, MS1 now (not at Gtown). Feel free to PM me if you want me to answer any questions about smp/med apps, Gtown smp classes, etc. I'm also a Cali, if you feel the need to b**** about our state's insufficiency in medical education just holla.

hey, good luck to all the new applicants! It's really early, hope you have luck with med apps - but this smp is a great option if things don't work out.

I'm a recent SMP-2010 grad, MS1 now (not at Gtown). Feel free to PM me if you want me to answer any questions about smp/med apps, Gtown smp classes, etc. I'm also a Cali, if you feel the need to b**** about our state's insufficiency in medical education just holla.

I'm astonished that you weren't accepted to Gtown with such a high SMP GPA and MCAT. What were your EC's/research/clinical experience like? Congrats on getting in on your first shot!

yeah man... a 3.7 SMP GPA and 37 MCAT is pretty damn nice! you got rejected from institutions pre-secondary with those stats? ****!

Remember, the majority of schools do not consider smp grades much or at all until you have completed the program. I believe, historically, the year after the smp is when many physios obtain med admission.

Most of the successful matriculants during the smp year probably went to state school or Georgetown. If you are from CA, the UCs typically won't even look at smp grades until you've finished (UC san diego may be slight exception).

If you're going right into SMP out of UG, your breadth on your app just shows an extra year of grades. I've been out for a year doing research in Maryland before coming to the SMP.

Glad I found this forum!

I'm a 5th year chem grad student finishing up my PhD in May 2011. I'm trying to get my application for Georgetown SMP and CAM together ASAP.

My stats:
Undergrad cumm : 3.04
Science : 3.14

Graduate grades only brought up my sciences grades to a 3.17

Did not take MCATS. Thesis will take too much time. Plan on taking them the summer before post bacc programs.

GREs:
Verbal : 550
Quant : 790
Anal. : 5.0

EMT-Basic certified in Dec 2010. Starting rescue squad work and physician shadowing this month (Sept 2010).

Also, do you all think its a disadvantage to apply to both the SMP and CAM programs at once? Do you think it matters at all (other than the RIDICULOUS applications fees!).

How do you all think my stats will hold up against the competition?

It seems like Georgetown is both a remedial and a career changer program. Does anybody have thoughts on that?

I'm also applying to VCU Cert program.

Thanks. Best of luck to all of those applything for fall 2011!

What's your grad GPA?

Also, how are you EMT-certified in Dec 2010, while working on RS in Sep 2010? Does your area not require EMS for fire-side riding?

3.21 GPA for grad classes (6 courses, all graduate level chemistry courses)

The squad has provisional membership for 2-3 months. As you are checked off on skills in the EMT-B class you can get checked off for them in the field. I'm pretty much everyone's favorites gopher right now. Lots of writing up cases!

Thanks!

Hey everyone

So if I am in OPs situation and am taking the MCAT in January, would it benefit me at all to submit my app in the fall, and just have it on hold till my MCAT score comes in Feb, or is this the same as me applying in Feb?

Thanks!

Glad I found this forum!

I'm a 5th year chem grad student finishing up my PhD in May 2011. I'm trying to get my application for Georgetown SMP and CAM together ASAP.

My stats:
Undergrad cumm : 3.04
Science : 3.14

Graduate grades only brought up my sciences grades to a 3.17

Did not take MCATS. Thesis will take too much time. Plan on taking them the summer before post bacc programs.

GREs:
Verbal : 550
Quant : 790
Anal. : 5.0

EMT-Basic certified in Dec 2010. Starting rescue squad work and physician shadowing this month (Sept 2010).

Also, do you all think its a disadvantage to apply to both the SMP and CAM programs at once? Do you think it matters at all (other than the RIDICULOUS applications fees!).

How do you all think my stats will hold up against the competition?

It seems like Georgetown is both a remedial and a career changer program. Does anybody have thoughts on that?

I'm also applying to VCU Cert program.

Thanks. Best of luck to all of those applything for fall 2011!

First, you are under several misapprehensions if you believe SMP or CAM are remedial or career changer programs. There is actually a completely separate post-bac program at Georgetown for non-science majors to get their science pre-reqs done. This type of program would be considered a "career changer" - you need to get your prereqs done for med school, because you are coming from a completely different background. A remedial program would be one in which you re-take coursework you have failed or done poorly in; in essence, you re-take that ochem class you got a D in to raise your gpa, etc. These "remedial" programs are usually offered as post-bacs or certificate type programs at many state schools, e.g. San Francisco state.

Georgetown CAM is only if you have a sincere interest in complementary or alternative medicine, and want to some way apply this new knowledge in some ways into your future research or clinical practice. Do not do CAM to save a bad undergrad GPA. It has a much, much, much, much lower probability for getting into Georgetown med than SMP (like 1 student in 40, rather than 30 students of 180). You do not take med classes with the medical students, so schools have no direct comparison of your coursework/competitiveness.

That is the function of the SMP. Direct comparison to med student performance in 6 classes. This is the program to save that bad gpa. However, it is not remedial. You are learning new stuff, or old stuff to a much higher level.

Other clarifications:
- your phD/grad gpa does not change your undergrad gpa for AMCAS in any way. It is listed separately.

- Your 3.1 undergrad gpa is run-of-the-mill for the smp (maybe 40th percentile or so), so it's similar to most smp students

- Applying to both smp and cam is fine, and my guess is you'd get into both (several cam and smp faculty overlap). You'd have to pick one; from your background go smp. SMP is brutal but gets you into med school (if you do well). CAM is relaxed but its intended goal is not to boost your chances.

- If you can't get a 32+ on the MCAT, I wouldn't take it until summer after smp. Contact admissions, they might let you in with just GRE and transcript, since your score is decent and you'll have a phD.

- Stay in that clinical work all year

- You could probably get into med school with a 32+ MCAT and publications (without needing an SMP) - have you considered it?

Cheers

Last edited:
Haplo,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give an in depth response. My nerves also thank you!

I'd rather go to SMP rather than CAM. Wanted CAM as a back-up I guess.

My lack of an MCAT score scares me going into the SMP program. In order to put the time into them I need to and do well I need to wait until my PhD is done in May. That gives me the whole summer to study without distraction. Would SMP be receptive to pre-app advising concerning this?

Thanks again for your time!

Yes, they should be receptive to advising. The directors advised my old roommate before he had even applied, and they are very approachable and friendly. If you have a GRE, they might be more flexible on requirements; you probably won't have the easiest admit w/o an MCAT in hand, but they'll work on a per-case basis as long as you're proactive and stay in contact.

Try using the yahoo smp board, as the profs might have really busy emails. There is usually a former smp who spends post-smp year doing admin duties for the program, and is probably the person who is the first-line for handling apps.

Again, I'm just a former student, so it'd be better to go straight for the source.

Hi everyone, I'm currently in this program and thought I would share some thoughts with you. Before I matriculated I was told that this would be the hardest academic year of my life which seems to be true. You're graded off the medical school students who have already proven their ability to do well in coursework and in order to really stand out you have to do better than them. Their averages usually run along a B/B+ SMP grade range and getting an A places you in the top 10-15% of the medical school class. If you're still thinking that that's not bad, you have to keep in mind that you're trying to keep up with secondaries and get ready for interviews at the same time. My biggest piece of advice to anyone considering this program for 2011-2012 is to get your secondaries done before getting here.

I have been studying approximately 6-12 hours/day outside of class (not including every other weekend or so) and have been doing very well. It really comes down to whether you can continue putting in the time. If you do, I'm pretty sure you're going to be okay. The medical school averages usually run a bit higher than the SMP's but we seem to hang in there pretty close. I have thus far completed the Molecular and Cellular Physiology course, which wasn't too bad (especially if you're a biochemistry/cell bio person) and most of Metabolism, Nutrition and Endocrinology. A little about this course: it is hell. Imagine your metabolic biochemistry classes in college, multiply them by about 10 and then imagine doing it in two weeks. That is the first half of MNE. The second half has not been nearly as bad but that first half will probably go down as the most stressful two weeks of my life. Good luck to you all and feel free to ask questions :).

Do you think I have a shot with a GPA between 2.95 and 3.01 coupled with good volunteer experience, research experience, and a good GRE? I am worried cause I hear the average to get into GT SMP is in the 3.2-3.3 region...

Hi everyone, I'm currently in this program and thought I would share some thoughts with you. Before I matriculated I was told that this would be the hardest academic year of my life which seems to be true. You're graded off the medical school students who have already proven their ability to do well in coursework and in order to really stand out you have to do better than them. Their averages usually run along a B/B+ SMP grade range and getting an A places you in the top 10-15% of the medical school class. If you're still thinking that that's not bad, you have to keep in mind that you're trying to keep up with secondaries and get ready for interviews at the same time. My biggest piece of advice to anyone considering this program for 2011-2012 is to get your secondaries done before getting here.

I have been studying approximately 6-12 hours/day outside of class (not including every other weekend or so) and have been doing very well. It really comes down to whether you can continue putting in the time. If you do, I'm pretty sure you're going to be okay. The medical school averages usually run a bit higher than the SMP's but we seem to hang in there pretty close. I have thus far completed the Molecular and Cellular Physiology course, which wasn't too bad (especially if you're a biochemistry/cell bio person) and most of Metabolism, Nutrition and Endocrinology. A little about this course: it is hell. Imagine your metabolic biochemistry classes in college, multiply them by about 10 and then imagine doing it in two weeks. That is the first half of MNE. The second half has not been nearly as bad but that first half will probably go down as the most stressful two weeks of my life. Good luck to you all and feel free to ask questions :).

The pace will slow down a bit in the grad courses, just hang in there and don't ignore the online nutrition lectures.

and a new batch of freshly hopeful applicants await ... a never ending cycle...

i will be applying during the upcoming application cycle as well. taking the MCATs during january.

Hey I have a 3.4, 30Q, great extracurrics, publication, a year of work as a research assistant, and doing some extra community service right now.

I plan on applying this December and I was wondering if I am competitive enough to get into this program...or should I retake my MCAT in January and aim higher. I already took it once before with a pretty bad score because of some ish going on in my life, so this would be a 3rd time.

Thanks for your help. Goodluck everyone

Hi,

I have a 3.2 with a B.S. in bio and neuro, and good ECs with extensive hospital volunteering and research experience. I've been working in a research lab for the past year and a half where I've completed one publication, with two pending.

I'm applying to the Georgetown SMP this cycle, and amidst studying for the GREs I contacted the SMP's admissions and was told that even with GRE scores, they'll still wait to review your MCAT score before considering you. In trying to be realistic about preparation time to get a decent score, I am registering for an early April MCAT, but I know this will delay review of my application (planning to get everything else in by the end of this month)...do I have a chance at being admitted into this SMP?

Thanks in advance!