Georgetown SMP 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted. FACK!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I just wanted to drop by and congratulate those who have been accepted!! This is truly a great program, and I look back on my time there fondly...

I know going in there are a lot of doubts about the money, difficulty, success rates, etc. etc. etc... I am living proof that it works though. I am now officially 2.5 months away from taking Step 1, and being half a doctor :)

So, if you've been accepted, I HIGHLY recommend you attend. If you haven't applied yet, you definitely should. If you are waitlisted, fear not, there is historically a ton of movement off the list!

Best of luck!
DrJD

Hey all!

I just wanted to drop by and congratulate those who have been accepted!! This is truly a great program, and I look back on my time there fondly...

I know going in there are a lot of doubts about the money, difficulty, success rates, etc. etc. etc... I am living proof that it works though. I am now officially 2.5 months away from taking Step 1, and being half a doctor :)

So, if you've been accepted, I HIGHLY recommend you attend. If you haven't applied yet, you definitely should. If you are waitlisted, fear not, there is historically a ton of movement off the list!

Best of luck!
DrJD

DrJD, would you choose this program over the NYMC Accelerated MS?

Members don't see this ad :)
DrJD, would you choose this program over the NYMC Accelerated MS?

I would pick GU! Not to put down the NYMC program, but as far as I am concerned Georgetown is still the best known SMP there is. I remember on my medical school interviews people consistently had heard of and recognize: the Georgetown SMP name, and that counts for a lot.

Plus the education you receive there is phenomenal. I still remember things on national boards because of things I was taught during the SMP that I didnt learn during the first two years of medical school. (Especially Endocrinology with the Silver Fox :)

So, yes, I highly recommend this SMP, as it has served me well now for these last few years! It's been a little while since I was in the program but I'm more than happy to answer any questions that I can about the program or about life after the program.

Hopefully the next time u post that word it will be to say Accepted to MD program at (insert abc school here). :D

:luck: with med interviews. I have seen u on a few of the threads I'm on.

Guju! It's been a while, are you in medical school yet? Hope the last couple years have gone well and that the Bu program went well!

For those who are accepted to the program, where have you been looking for housing. Georgetown area is extra expensive, imo. I'm wondering whether most students live on-campus. If not, how far do students typically live? I've heard that the transportation/metro isn't as accessible in the Georgetown area, so I'm worried about living too far. I plan on calling the SMP office to ask (I didn't find the housing link on the SMP-accepted website to be helpful), but any insight from future or current students is also helpful.

Do you have anything substantial to update them with? A newer and better MCAT score, grade updates, etc. go along way. Good luck.

No I don't, unfortunately. I work and volunteer. I took post-bacc classes in the fall, but I totaled my car and couldn't commute this semester. I have a 30Q MCAT, and probably would have to quit my job to study for it and aim for 33+. Regardless, my scores wouldn't come out until July if I studied for next 2.5 months and took it in June. What if I sent an additional LOR? I only sent 3, but I have a total of 6 on Interfolio...

I have a 3.3 cGPA
3.0 BCPM GPA
however I took most of my pre requisite courses freshman and sophmore year and was not the same student I am now. I am a neuroscience major in my senior year and my overall GPA in my major is a 3.95. I have not taken my MCAT yet but I score consistanly above a 34-35 on practice exams. I have done alot of volunteer work but i will have only done a years worth of research by the time I graduate. I also have made very little headway in terms of my letters of recommendation.

SO

1) am I a good candidate for a SMP like G-town or BU if I get the MCAT score that I keep getting on my practice exams?

2) how many letters would be a good amount to apply to an SMP like G-twon

Hey guys,

So I just applied on 3/21 and was wondering what you think the average wait time would be to hear back now that its getting towards the end of the application period...

Thanks!

Hey guys,

So I just applied on 3/21 and was wondering what you think the average wait time would be to hear back now that its getting towards the end of the application period...

Thanks!

Im waiting on hearing back too! Congrats on everyone who got in.

Hey guys,

Thanks!

3 weeks between the under review email and the acceptance notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
What day of the week were you notified?

Nevermind, didn't read. I see that you were accepted March 10th which was a Thursday. Guess I'm waiting to hear next week.

I gotta second this - congrats to all. I loved my time there and really owe everything I have accomplished to date to Gtown's SMP.

If you have been waitlisted, make sure you let the directors know how interested you are in the program. If you got waitlisted, that means you are competitive. If you show them you are motivated and will do what it takes to succeed, that will go a long way to convincing them to take you.

Good luck to all!

Hang in there DrJD - Step I will be over soon. When you get out into the hospitals in third and fourth year, (especially fourth year) med school becomes a lot more fun.

Hey all!

Best of luck!
DrJD

All of my materials are submitted as of last week. How long do you guys think it will take to get the "under review" email. Very anxious about my application and look forward to hearing back. Visited Georgetown for the first time this weekend and loved it!

All of my materials are submitted as of last week. How long do you guys think it will take to get the "under review" email. Very anxious about my application and look forward to hearing back. Visited Georgetown for the first time this weekend and loved it!

My status was changed on the online application to completed on 3/9, and I received an email from Amy Richards (the SMP Academic Coordinator) the next day that said my application was under review and that I should expect a decision in 3-4 weeks.

I left a voicemail message on 4/7 asking if a decision was made. I received an email that afternoon that said my application was still under review and that a decision might be made in the next two weeks.

So you might have to wait a full 6 weeks for a decision once you receive the "under review" email.

two weeksish

I put CAM as my first choice, SMP as my second...

what if my mind is changed now? is it likely i will be accepted to both? the stats:

mcat: 31Q
grad and undergrad sgpa: 3.35
undergrad sgpa: 3.24, undergrad cgpa: 3.2
grad sgpa: 3.78, grad cgpa: 3.77
1 year epidemiology research
2 years anesthesiology research (publication on the way)
1.5 years hospital volunteer

my application was submitted 2 weeks ago, and was deemed "complete" a few days ago

For those who are accepted to the program, where have you been looking for housing. Georgetown area is extra expensive, imo. I'm wondering whether most students live on-campus. If not, how far do students typically live? I've heard that the transportation/metro isn't as accessible in the Georgetown area, so I'm worried about living too far. I plan on calling the SMP office to ask (I didn't find the housing link on the SMP-accepted website to be helpful), but any insight from future or current students is also helpful.

I just found out this afternoon that I was accepted to the SMP, and if I don't get pulled off of one of my two wait lists I plan to attend in the fall. I am wondering about housing as well. The link they sent in the acceptance email wasn't much help and I've been trying to find apartments online, but haven't been too successful. Do any current/future students have any suggestions as to a nice place that isn't too far away? Is there anywhere that a lot of graduate students usually live?

I just found out this afternoon that I was accepted to the SMP, and if I don't get pulled off of one of my two wait lists I plan to attend in the fall. I am wondering about housing as well. The link they sent in the acceptance email wasn't much help and I've been trying to find apartments online, but haven't been too successful. Do any current/future students have any suggestions as to a nice place that isn't too far away? Is there anywhere that a lot of graduate students usually live?

I only know of one classmate living on-campus, and I am pretty sure she lives in the Village C residence hall. I believe this is the only on-campus option for grad students at Georgetown, but I don't think it's publicized on their website so you may want to call and confirm with Res Life.

Off-campus options are plentiful around Georgetown Hospital, which is the part of campus where you will have classes. I live in an area just north of the hospital called Glover Park. I walk to class, which takes about 12 mins, and my apartment is just steps away from all the important amenities (i.e. Whole Foods, Starbucks, a 24-hour CVS, post office, and tons of restaurants/bars). Others live closer or even as far as Arlington/Rosslyn, VA. The rent is cheaper in Virginia, but you "pay" in other ways with a much longer commute, daily metro transit fees, and the fact that the majority of your friends and classmates will be living in DC.

I would suggest scouring Craig's List. I found my apartment on that site (for comparison: I pay $1400/month for a one bedroom apartment, which includes all utilities, satellite tv, a weekly maid, and the apartment came furnished). As you are looking for places to live, keep in mind that the hospital is located at the intersection of Reservoir Rd & 38th St. Also, the SMP coordinator, Amy Richards, should be starting a Google group for you guys, which will help if you want to live in a house with your SMP classmates.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

does anyone know how many applicants there were last year?

Question on the app - I am using Interfolio to send the recommendation letters. When using the GTown SMP application system, I made a letter from "Interfolio" as suggested by their FAQ page. However, when trying to finalize the App, it still says that it doesn't have enough recommendations. Do I just make 3 app slots all called Interfolio?

Thanks and good luck everyone!

I'm a current physio and I thought I would post this on the off chance that one of you will be coming to DC early for school. Our program ends in early June and I would like to sublet my place. It's in foxhall village which is a short walk away from campus. The house is very nice with central AC, cable TV, cable internet, large kitchen, laundry, hardwood floors... basically just a very nice home. The room is large and I can leave it furnished if you would like but would prefer to take my furniture. Rent is $1000, which may seem high to you all now, but you will soon realize is actually somewhat of a good deal considering utilities are included and the excellent condition of the house. Every friend that has visited my apartment has complimented me on the "deal" I have living here... yeah, who would have known a grand for a room would ever be a deal, but it really is in this extremely expensive city.

Either way, congratulations to everyone. If you have any questions about the program feel free to PM me. I've read some of the testimonials on here from former physios and I feel they're sharing all their positive experiences but none of their negative ones. Sure, this program is great, and it has made me a hell of a lot more knowledgable about both science and medicine and strengthened my application, but it definitely has its shortcomings. Would I recommend attending? Yes for most of you, but I know a lot of people in the program who have gotten into medical school who would probably have gotten in anyway without the program, and therefore, wasted a lot of stress and money for no real reason.

I saw your post. I understand that the SMP is not for everyone. I'm really teetering between SMP and CAM at GU and wanted to know your take. My grades are borderline. It was my MCAT that needed improvement for med school. I wanted to take part in a program this coming year that would not only be interesting, rigorous, but also prepare me for med school. Do you have any insight, pros and cons, about SMP (and if you can, the CAM program)?

I'm a current physio and I thought I would post this on the off chance that one of you will be coming to DC early for school. Our program ends in early June and I would like to sublet my place. It's in foxhall village which is a short walk away from campus. The house is very nice with central AC, cable TV, cable internet, large kitchen, laundry, hardwood floors... basically just a very nice home. The room is large and I can leave it furnished if you would like but would prefer to take my furniture. Rent is $1000, which may seem high to you all now, but you will soon realize is actually somewhat of a good deal considering utilities are included and the excellent condition of the house. Every friend that has visited my apartment has complimented me on the "deal" I have living here... yeah, who would have known a grand for a room would ever be a deal, but it really is in this extremely expensive city.

Either way, congratulations to everyone. If you have any questions about the program feel free to PM me. I've read some of the testimonials on here from former physios and I feel they're sharing all their positive experiences but none of their negative ones. Sure, this program is great, and it has made me a hell of a lot more knowledgable about both science and medicine and strengthened my application, but it definitely has its shortcomings. Would I recommend attending? Yes for most of you, but I know a lot of people in the program who have gotten into medical school who would probably have gotten in anyway without the program, and therefore, wasted a lot of stress and money for no real reason.

I saw your post. I understand that the SMP is not for everyone. I'm really teetering between SMP and CAM at GU and wanted to know your take. My grades are borderline. It was my MCAT that needed improvement for med school. I wanted to take part in a program this coming year that would not only be interesting, rigorous, but also prepare me for med school. Do you have any insight, pros and cons, about SMP (and if you can, the CAM program)?

just got accepted to CAM, but i really want to hear back from the SMP.....

Waitlisted. FACK!

+1. Grrr. I really want in! I got into BU MAMS but this is my preferred program. Anybody have any ideas on when the wl will start moving? After May 15th? The admissions office informed me that the waitlist is not ranked but they placed me somewhere in "the middle".

for those accepted to the SMP:
did you hear via email or snailmail? CAM sent me a letter but no email, i was wondering if SMP was the same

THX :)

i do hope i find out soon... time to accept other offers is dwindling

the "application complete" email promised a 3-4 week waiting period... that email was sent 5 weeks ago today ?:\

does anyone know if there are volunteering opportunities while doing the smp? can someone in the program or familiar with the program speak to that?

does anyone know if there are volunteering opportunities while doing the smp? can someone in the program or familiar with the program speak to that?

they said they don't want you to do any volunteer activities while in the program... it is a very intense program and they want you to fully dedicate yourself

Hi Toolmatica, I am looking for a room starting 6/15. Would like additional details, pics, google map address of your aptt if still available. PM at [email protected], please.

Hey guys,
So I'm still on the waitlist for the SMP. I received an email on Friday in which they 'strongly suggested' I take a summer Biochem course to prepare myself for the rigors of the program and medical school. Has anybody ever received an email like this? Does this in any way signify that they will accept me into the SMP if I do decide to take the Biochem course? I'd love to not have to take it, because I work full-time and was looking forward to one month to recharge before the SMP starts. Any input or feedback would be appreciated! :)

Hey I was wondering what is my chance of getting into the SMP at Georgetown.

GPA: 3.3 (from 2.8, 3.0, 3.85, 4.0 each year)
MCAT: 31M
Research Experience since freshman year, have one publication
Clinical Volunteer: 100hr+
Clinical Shadowing: ~25hrs (clinic visit, rounding and scrubbing in a surgery)

SMP emailed me the acceptance. Don't think CAM is worth it.

Hey Pow,

When did you send it your apps? and when did they email to say that your application was under review.
I'm still waiting!! I can't stand anymore rejections >.<

hey djwarp did you get it through snail mail? because I called and they said the decisions come by post. eep

I heard that rejections come through snail mail and acceptances are via email. Can anyone comment on this?

I heard that rejections come through snail mail and acceptances are via email. Can anyone comment on this?

I just got accepted to GU's SMP last Friday via email. I was also accepted into Mt. Sinai's PM-track. I applied to med schools last year with no acceptances 3.9 GPA, 33R MCAT. To make my story short, I was for the longest time pre-Phd or MD/Phd (3 years undergrad research) and lacked hospital volunteering/shadowing. I think I'm going to choose Sinai because of the opportunities they offer for research, clinicals, shadowing, and working at the hospital. GU's SMP sounds like a great program, but I'm not sure that it's the best option for me. Any thoughts?

I just got accepted to GU's SMP last Friday via email. I was also accepted into Mt. Sinai's PM-track. I applied to med schools last year with no acceptances 3.9 GPA, 33R MCAT. To make my story short, I was for the longest time pre-Phd or MD/Phd (3 years undergrad research) and lacked hospital volunteering/shadowing. I think I'm going to choose Sinai because of the opportunities they offer for research, clinicals, shadowing, and working at the hospital. GU's SMP sounds like a great program, but I'm not sure that it's the best option for me. Any thoughts?

Honestly with those numbers I don't see why do an SMP at all. Just spend a year getting some solid clinical experience (hospital volunteering/shadowing), while working or just relaxing. SMP programs are mainly to prove you can handle med school curriculum despite a low undergrad GPA. Just my 2 cents.

accepted on friday! man that took a long time for them to get back to me :)

Did you only apply to harvard and hopkins?

i got into that sinai program as well... but i believe my GPA is too low to qualify for the PM track. i chose Georgetown because:
1. Gtown SMP is 1yr, Sinai is 2yr (at least the non-pm track is)
2. I already have about 3 years of total research, 2 of those are in the lab for a masters degree in biology. it seems you already have copious amounts of research as well. i am sure that the research you have conducted is of very high caliber, and medical school adcoms will not shirk away from your application because it is not "clinical enough"
3. Gtown pumps out students with med school acceptances. Sinai told me that over half of the class (of 20people) want to go to medical school and end up doing so... but the sinai program is NOT mirrored on medical school. it is basically the first year of PhD school. There is no greater indication for an admissions committee that you are intelligent and dedicated enough than to do well in medical school in an SMP

good luck to you, and tell us what you ended up picking!

Last edited: