Georgetown Gems 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear about those rejections guys. I wish you luck with all your other apps!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

Been away from the thread for a bit. For all those who did not get an interview, don't lose hope. Everyone has a different path to becoming a physician. It's not about how you get there, or how long it takes you... the important thing is that you get there.

I also wanted to know if anyone will be interviewing on Monday. If you are, PM me so we can meet up on interview day.

Hello all,

Been away from the thread for a bit. For all those who did not get an interview, don't lose hope. Everyone has a different path to becoming a physician. It's not about how you get there, or how long it takes you... the important thing is that you get there.

I also wanted to know if anyone will be interviewing on Monday. If you are, PM me so we can meet up on interview day.

Good luck in the interview April 23ers! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone!
I'm new to the thread but I've read through all of your replies. I applied to GEMS this year and I'm interviewing on May 7! I'm from PA, is anyone else interviewing on this day? I'm really nervous but really happy about getting this far in the process. Good Luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow, sending prayers up for all of you.

For May 7 interviewers, how are you preparing?? I'm so nervous! :confused:

thanks!

Hey!

Anyone interviewing May 7th and want to meet up sunday for lunch/maybe checkout the campus or just hang pm me! So far there are only 2 of us meeting up...let me know if you'd like to join us and i'll pm you more details!

good luck to everyone else!

Hey! I am also interviewing May 7th but won't be flying in until late Sunday night. I am also really nervous...in fact I am starting to freak out a bit. I interview finals week, so its only adding to the stress. But I can only hope and pray that it will go well. I am doing a mock interview at my school to prepare for it; I've heard from other students that it helps. But good luck!

Hey guys, I just got back home from the interview. For those of you interviewing in a couple of weeks, don t stress!!!! It's very laid back, so no need I worry. I do however recommend you get SLEEP!!! It will be a long day, and if you're staying somewhere outside of DC, you will have to be up very early if you plan on using public transport. Btw, check out the GEorgetown university transit system (GUTS) because it is FREE, they pick up at different spots (I caught it at Rosslyn station). In any case, it's a beautiful school, wonderful program, and good luck to as all!!!!

PS- if you he a chance, go to Georgetown cupcakes and have the carrot cake cupcake, not that you'll regret having any other flavor lol.

Hey guys, I just got back home from the interview. For those of you interviewing in a couple of weeks, don t stress!!!! It's very laid back, so no need I worry. I do however recommend you get SLEEP!!! It will be a long day, and if you're staying somewhere outside of DC, you will have to be up very early if you plan on using public transport. Btw, check out the GEorgetown university transit system (GUTS) because it is FREE, they pick up at different spots (I caught it at Rosslyn station). In any case, it's a beautiful school, wonderful program, and good luck to as all!!!!

PS- if you he a chance, go to Georgetown cupcakes and have the carrot cake cupcake, not that you'll regret having any other flavor lol.

Ditto everything DJDT said. It was a looong day, but I actually had (dare I say it) FUN! Everyone is super nice, very informative and hilarious. You all have absolutely nothing to freak out about. The advice I got before I went was: Be yourself, know about Cura Personalis, and don't stress because it will just make you nervous for no reason.

Ditto everything DJDT said. It was a looong day, but I actually had (dare I say it) FUN! Everyone is super nice, very informative and hilarious. You all have absolutely nothing to freak out about. The advice I got before I went was: Be yourself, know about Cura Personalis, and don't stress because it will just make you nervous for no reason.

Hey, I also interviewed on the 23rd. It was a long, fun, and eventful day! Only thing I would add is to make sure you grab breakfast in the morning lol! Other than, its really low stress! Just go be yourselves, you'll be fine! Good luck May 7ers!

Oh if you are traveling by public transportation make sure to check out the GUTS bus that leaves and returns to dupont circle if you are looking to save some money.

Hey, I also interviewed on the 23rd. It was a long, fun, and eventful day! Only thing I would add is to make sure you grab breakfast in the morning lol! Other than, its really low stress! Just go be yourselves, you'll be fine! Good luck May 7ers!

Oh if you are traveling by public transportation make sure to check out the GUTS bus that leaves and returns to dupont circle if you are looking to save some money.

More info on GUTS at http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/

Hey yall here are the list of pple that have contacted me to meet up the day before and eat/talk/get to know DC or whatev. If you're interviewing May 7th and want to meet up, pm me and I'll send you more details! So far I do have:

Doctor Jae
Busterbax
TheBLT

thanks for all the advice from the April 23rd interviewers. Any input on your reaction to interview questions, or even how hard that test was??

Hey You All,

It was a little disappointing to not receive an interview for GEMS. But I would like to announce that I have amazingly been offered the opportunity to attend medical school this year at UIC College of Medicine! I absolutely cannot believe it. Perhaps it was not my time to interview with GEMS and it was someone elses ;) Good luck to all of you and congrats to those that have received interviews to GEMS! Such an awesome program. For those who did not receive interviews keep truckin'! I have been on this journey for a long while and through much prayer and patience I made it and you will too. Take care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the delay guys but i'm also interviewing may 7th...

nlmDOC, I sent you a PM...

Hey You All,

It was a little disappointing to not receive an interview for GEMS. But I would like to announce that I have amazingly been offered the opportunity to attend medical school this year at UIC College of Medicine! I absolutely cannot believe it. Perhaps it was not my time to interview with GEMS and it was someone elses ;) Good luck to all of you and congrats to those that have received interviews to GEMS! Such an awesome program. For those who did not receive interviews keep truckin'! I have been on this journey for a long while and through much prayer and patience I made it and you will too. Take care.

Thank you for sharing your testimony, I really needed to hear that because sometimes this process can be very disheartening. Congrats on your acceptance, UIC is a great school! Best wishes!

Congrats on the acceptance, You must be ecstatic!!! good luck in medical school!

Hey You All,

any idea on how many people were interviewed on April 23?

Congrats hurdler13 on the acceptance!

For those who are from outside the DC area, are you staying at the hotels listed in the packet by the ADCOM? I'm flying in and have a reservation at one of the hotels the school listed but they're pricey. Any of you know of a better deal for a hotel? The good thing is that the hotels listed are close to campus and I didn't want to mess with renting a car and traffic.

Congrats hurdler13 on the acceptance!

For those who are from outside the DC area, are you staying at the hotels listed in the packet by the ADCOM? I'm flying in and have a reservation at one of the hotels the school listed but they're pricey. Any of you know of a better deal for a hotel? The good thing is that the hotels listed are close to campus and I didn't want to mess with renting a car and traffic.

If you're flying into Reagan, look for hotels near the airport in Alexandria or something in Arlington, as long as you stay near the metro (blue line). Ten dollars will suffice to get you from the airport, to your destination, to Rosslyn where you can catch the GUTS, and from Rosslyn back to Reagan. I'm not sure about the prices, but I can imagine they will be significantly cheaper than staying in DC, you would just have to look. I took my carry-on to the interview and left it in the room where we all met, and had several activities in, so you can check out before the interview and get back to the airport immediately after like I did.

Just one caveat: keep in mind that staying in VA will require that you wake up earlier to ensure you arrive at your interview on time, depending on where you stay (I stayed at a friend's place in Alexandria and woke up at 5, but I made it with roughly 45 mins to spare). You can find the GUTS schedule online, I took the 7 AM one GUTS shuttle from rosslyn to GU, and the metro has pretty consistent 5-10 minute intervals.

hope this helps! GL!!

Sorry for the delay guys but i'm also interviewing may 7th...

nlmDOC, I sent you a PM...

Hey everyone,

I'm still trying to see if anyone is interested in meeting up on sunday afternoon. I'm gonna be in DC starting friday so if anyone wants to meet up let me know. I've been terrible at following the discussion here but I can PM my cell phone number to those interested and we can coordinate once you're there...

Anyways, let me know if you're interested....

....And congrats on the acceptance hurdler13 :thumbup:

Good luck to those of you interviewing today! :luck:

It's been a while, but I have a couple of questions.

Current students: my final grades just posted, so I was wondering if the GEMS admissions office is receptive of update letters?

all those applying: I know it's getting close to THAT time lol... so, I just wanted to know if anyone has given any consideration to their living arrangements? I've looked for a few apartments and stuff (found a few within walking distance of GU, clover park? I think that's what it's called). In case, if you guys have looked and are considering a roommate, let me know. I figured it can't hurt to start thinking about this, although we haven't been accepted yet, since we have such short notice to get established before classes start.

I hope that your summers are going well!!! I actually have some time now to be lazy, it feels good!!!

Anyone have an idea of when we'll be notified? I'm getting pretty anxious

DJDT I feel like at this point our fate has been decided but I guess it doesn't hurt to send it in. I started looking at places but i'm trying not to get ahead of myself :xf:

Anyone have an idea of when we'll be notified? I'm getting pretty anxious

DJDT I feel like at this point our fate has been decided but I guess it doesn't hurt to send it in. I started looking at places but i'm trying not to get ahead of myself :xf:

I feel the same way...i've also started looking at apartments and studios....but I feel the same way...i keep my phone with me at all times but am afraid of checking my mail....losing my mind u may ask...yes, slightly :p

Lol .... I started looking at places as a way to keep me entertained. Seems pretty expensive though, I found a few at around 1100, which is about what hoping to pay.

In regards to finding out, previous years' threads had people getting calls circa May 18th; however, this year the second interview date was about a week later, so I'm guessing sometime next week up to June 3rd. Don't stress it though, we've already waited for almost a year, so a few more days won't hurt. We'll be fine :)

iLeadyouFollow, I know what you mean, but i sent it in just because I couldn't help myself lol

Last edited:
Where did you find something for 1100? Everywhere I've looked the cheapest was 1300, and anything below that is a room in someone's house or a dark basement. I'm trying to look for a 1 Bedroom apartment but yeah I could use that money as monthly mortgage here.

Where did you find something for 1100? Everywhere I've looked the cheapest was 1300, and anything below that is a room in someone's house or a dark basement. I'm trying to look for a 1 Bedroom apartment but yeah I could use that money as monthly mortgage here.

This is the website I used. I looked for stuff in Arlington in proximity to the GUTS stop at Rosslyn, but I did a little more digging and remember seeing some other stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't save my entire search (I believe it was through forrent.com), but this should be a good start. There really aren't many places, so it comes down to time, luck and availability I guess.

http://www.gu.och101.com/North-Amer...a/Arlington/page_01.php?price_range=1000-1499

I saw a few for 1100 while browsing but its still too early to take a place serious. Most places need someone for June 1st

I really hope they make calls tomorrow

I saw a few for 1100 while browsing but its still too early to take a place serious. Most places need someone for June 1st

I really hope they make calls tomorrow

That would be the beginning of a great weekend lol.... I'm guessing next week, but I wouldn't be surprised if they began calling tomorrow since next weekend is Memorial Day.

Suspense is killing me lol -___- .... Any good news yet? Fingers crossed

I agree...i can't take it anymore...lol....i was also wondering if anyone had heard anything

nothing yet...i wonder if they'll call/mail after the long weekend...hopefully call:xf:

Does anyone know when the program starts?

Sorry about the misleading inormation... It was an honest mistake, I was under the impression that it started the 6th. In any case, thank you for clarifying, and GL!!:)

No problem....It's understandable that you thought that it was on July 6th, since I believe the program started on July 6th last year. Looks like everything is a week delay from last year.

Good luck to you too!

I received my rejection letter today...tear...I'll be heading to school in LA...Congratulations to those who got/get accepted and Good Luck!

I received my rejection letter today...tear...I'll be heading to school in LA...Congratulations to those who got/get accepted and Good Luck!

Sorry to hear that.... I wish you luck with all your other endeavors!

I too got rejected... C'est la vie! Good luck to you all!

I got my rejection yesterday :( , will try again next cycle I guess. good luck to those still waiting.

I was just in D.C. this weekend grrr but I was still trying to decide between GEMS and another program. Having lived in D.C. before I know how difficult it can be to find housing so I am just looking from home right now. I probably will have to make trip out again or have my friends look at some places for me.