Georgetown Gems 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naijacardriodoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Anyone else applying in Feb.? Also, if any of the current or past GEMS students could chime in about their experiences so far, it would be really helpful. I know that there are threads about this, but current information never hurts. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the MCAT the first test date in 2012, so I will be applying the day my test scores come in! So probably in March. I cannot wait. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in to the applying pool....good luck to all of us!

I'm thinking about applying also, but I'm not sure I would be qualified for the program in terms of being disadvantaged. Doesn't the application ask why you are disadvantaged? I am a URM, but I can't say that I've had rough periods of financial struggle. Can I still apply?

thanks!

I'm thinking about applying also, but I'm not sure I would be qualified for the program in terms of being disadvantaged. Doesn't the application ask why you are disadvantaged? I am a URM, but I can't say that I've had rough periods of financial struggle. Can I still apply?

thanks!

I'm pretty sure this is mostly geared towards the disadvantaged....you could always try emailing GEMS directly and asking them for a firm yes or no.

here's the contact email: [email protected]

I had a similar question, all of my life I've had financial struggles and my household income had fell before the poverty line. However, since I've graduated college, I have been working to pay off my school loans and file my taxes independently from my parents, would that make me fall under the category of advantaged, even though I technically am not?

I'm pretty sure this is mostly geared towards the disadvantaged....you could always try emailing GEMS directly and asking them for a firm yes or no.

here's the contact email: [email protected]

I had a similar question, all of my life I've had financial struggles and my household income had fell before the poverty line. However, since I've graduated college, I have been working to pay off my school loans and file my taxes independently from my parents, would that make me fall under the category of advantaged, even though I technically am not?

It asks for students to have a disadvantaged background. If you can explain how you qualify as disadvantaged, and how it affected your performance (from reading past threads I believe that is part of the application), then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Again, I would ask the program directly, but I feel like if you feel comfortable explaining how you qualify as having a disadvantaged background, I think you should be fine.

Thanks for the quick response!!!

It asks for students to have a disadvantaged background. If you can explain how you qualify as disadvantaged, and how it affected your performance (from reading past threads I believe that is part of the application), then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to.

Again, I would ask the program directly, but I feel like if you feel comfortable explaining how you qualify as having a disadvantaged background, I think you should be fine.

I will be applying too, but i have a question related to gems financial aid. Is the program a graduate program (with graduate financial aid) or is it considered a 5th year undergraduate program. I ask this because there are many post bacs that offer medical school courses but do not offer graduate financial aid (like gradPlus loans etc) and often times people have to take out thousands of dollars in private loans to cover the cost. I have experienced this first hand and I can't seem to find enough information from former GEMS students or other post bacs students for that matter, about ways to finance these programs.

Thanks in advance. I will really appreciate any information on this.

I will be applying too, but i have a question related to gems financial aid. Is the program a graduate program (with graduate financial aid) or is it considered a 5th year undergraduate program. I ask this because there are many post bacs that offer medical school courses but do not offer graduate financial aid (like gradPlus loans etc) and often times people have to take out thousands of dollars in private loans to cover the cost. I have experienced this first hand and I can't seem to find enough information from former GEMS students or other post bacs students for that matter, about ways to finance these programs.

Thanks in advance. I will really appreciate any information on this.

Hey DOSSMD

This is the best information I could find. According to the GEMS q & a document on the website, "Eligible GEMS students borrow under the Stafford Loan Program and supplement these funds with loans from private
non-government sources, savings, summer earnings and family contributions."

The Stafford Loan program is a federal program and there may be a maximum amount that can be borrowed. Maybe one of the current or past GEMS students can explain this better.

I would call or email the office to get a more detailed explanation. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gems is a graduate program and all costs of tuition and housing can be covered by federal loans. You shouldn't have any problems while in school as long as you are conservative about your finances. At the same time, don't expect to have a job while in gems, this is full time and will require all of your focus.

If a person is accepted, can they matriculate the year after completion or do they need to have a gap year to apply for med school? A bit confused :)

If a person is accepted, can they matriculate the year after completion or do they need to have a gap year to apply for med school? A bit confused :)

in the past, it looks like they encourage you to apply to medical schools the summer before you start the program, so that you can be accepted without a gap year.

hey, if I'm planning to apply for the 2012-2013 cycle, by when should I be fully prepared to take the MCAT?

Does anybody know their MCAT deadline?

Hey guys! Current GEMS here. We are all getting ready for our first biochem test tomorrow so everyone has been quite busy :oops:. The program has been awesome so far. Tough at first but doable. Although that may change once we get into the medical modules. :scared:

We are encouraged to apply the summer of our GEMS year so that we can get into medical school without a gap year if accepted.

Hey guys! Current GEMS here. We are all getting ready for our first biochem test tomorrow so everyone has been quite busy :oops:. The program has been awesome so far. Tough at first but doable. Although that may change once we get into the medical modules. :scared:

We are encouraged to apply the summer of our GEMS year so that we can get into medical school without a gap year if accepted.

Hey thanks for being in this thread, it really helps us applicants when students in the program answer our questions.

My question is...do you know what percent Georgetown takes for its medical school from the GEMS/SMP program? How likely do you think you are to get a spot based on your own and others' performance so far?

Would you say the amount of people admitted to GUSOM are shown some kind of favoring, i.e. most are instate students or something. Is it possible to get into GUSOM by just doing well in the GEMS/SMP program? I'm trying to gauge how much of a realistic chance I would have as a Canadian getting into GUSOM by doing one of the post-bacc. programs, given that my MCAT is a respectable score.

And last question: where do the majority of the grads in your program end up? Specifically, which med schools? And which ones are you personally hoping to get in? Thanks and I wish you the best of luck on your biochem test!

Hey thanks for being in this thread, it really helps us applicants when students in the program answer our questions.

My question is...do you know what percent Georgetown takes for its medical school from the GEMS/SMP program? How likely do you think you are to get a spot based on your own and others' performance so far?

Glad I could be of some help! :)
I have heard that only 10% or less of the SMP class is accepted to Gtown, but this is just hearsay so take it with a grain of salt. As for GEMS students, the number accepted is variable since it really depends on the individual's performance. If we all do well, then we all can get in. I believe GEMS/SMP only make up a small percentage of the accepted medical school class.
It's still quite early in the program so it's hard to make an estimate of the rigor of the program except through previous GEMs' experiences. However, I believe everybody here has demonstrated the ability to succeed, but there are some stuff (ie. test taking skills) that we are working on. If anybody is worried about the rigor, the program will do its best to push and support you to make sure you succeed.

Would you say the amount of people admitted to GUSOM are shown some kind of favoring, i.e. most are instate students or something. Is it possible to get into GUSOM by just doing well in the GEMS/SMP program? I'm trying to gauge how much of a realistic chance I would have as a Canadian getting into GUSOM by doing one of the post-bacc. programs, given that my MCAT is a respectable score.

I can only speak for the GEMS program, but the message we have received so far is that if you get above the average in the exams and there are no red flags in your behavior, then you will probably get in regardless of your previous academic scores or instate status.
I believe you have to be a US citizen to be accepted into the GEMS program though. You should email for clarification.

And last question: where do the majority of the grads in your program end up? Specifically, which med schools? And which ones are you personally hoping to get in? Thanks and I wish you the best of luck on your biochem test!

Judging by the past years, the majority do end up at Georgetown. You will have to go through the old threads for specifics, but I believe other people have gone to Howard, George Washington, OD schools, and others. Also there are people who didn't get accepted after the GEMS program and took a gap year and applied to various other schools.

Feel free to ask more questions. I will try my best to answer them. :D

Thanks a lot :)

I guess I will have to call GT and many other schools to find out what their stance on Canadians are and their chances after finishing the program.

If anyone here knows anything about this program relating to Canadians, I'd appreciate it!

So BeanAllergy, any advice for filling out the application? What would you say the main thing they look for in applicants is? Is the program really as awesome as we all hope it is?

I'm taking the MCAT the first test date in 2012, so I will be applying the day my test scores come in! So probably in March. I cannot wait. :)

I'm also planning on taking the first availalbe MCAT in 2012, but I'm having trouble registering for it. It's just not appearing on the AAMCS website, do you already officialy have a seat?

I'm not sure I follow. If they encourage you to apply before you start GEMS, how does the fact that you matriculated in GEMS and succeeded going to factor into your application?

So BeanAllergy, any advice for filling out the application? What would you say the main thing they look for in applicants is? Is the program really as awesome as we all hope it is?
I'm afraid I don't know enough to give much advice. :( What I personally did was to really try to tell them my story. What made me disadvantaged? How had this affected my life? When the application opens up you will see that they ask you to answer these types of questions that give you an opportunity to distinguish yourself.

The program has definitely met and exceeded my expectations. But it requires work! You are in school from 8am to at least 5pm. You will get hungry and tired when you have to stay in class well into your lunch period or until 7pm on a Friday. There will be times when you wonder why you need to know something with so much specificity. But GEM's track record shows the awesome results, and in order to get there you need to put in the work!

I'm not sure I follow. If they encourage you to apply before you start GEMS, how does the fact that you matriculated in GEMS and succeeded going to factor into your application?

Oops! I should make this more clear: We don't apply before we start the program. We need to wait to receive info on inputting the proper course designations and then wait again to be able to send in a GEMS transcript to Amcas. We then submit our application by at most October. I'm not sure how other schools will factor in the GEMS program for possible interviews, but Georgetown will hold off on inviting you for an interview until (I think) around March. By this time, they have your grades in the medical school modules and this will be a major factor in whether you are invited for an interview/accepted.

Also, in case anybody interested in the GEMS program didn't know: you must apply to at least 1 medical school (submit a complete amcas) in order to be able to apply to GEMS.

Hey everyone! I'm also applying to GEMS next year. I've heard great things about the program from the older threads.

Any of you going to be using the same letter writers as in your AMCAS? If so, are you going to ask them to resubmit the letter to GEMS or have them modify the letter to GEMS? I know the application is not open yet so we don't know what the directions will say.

I'm also planning on taking the first availalbe MCAT in 2012, but I'm having trouble registering for it. It's just not appearing on the AAMCS website, do you already officialy have a seat?

The application doesn't open until February and only stays open for 1 month. You have to get all your documents and applications submitted during that month.

You apply to GUSOM while in GEMS so you don't take a year off. That being said there are specific instructions that they want to give you about the application so start the AMCAS early but DO NOT submit until they have gone over the AMCAS with you and told you it's ok. You will then need to fill out a Gtown secondary and then just wait. Interview offers roll in around mid to late April and you'll interview in May. Acceptances should come prior to completion of the program. I would advise to not put all your eggs into one basket so apply to other schools also or if you're a repeat applicant to schools that have extended interview offers to you in the past. Good luck to all.

Hey everyone! I will be applying to this program also. But I have a question. What are the Pre requisites to the program? I have all of mine but I only have a semester of math. Im taking calculus this January. Will this be too late?

Hi All-- From scanning the Georgetown SMP website, it sounds like if you attend Georgetown SOM, you don't have to retake the classes that you took in SMP.

Does anyone know how many classes in total you pass out of? Is it possible to graduate from medical school in three years after SMP?

Any of you going to be using the same letter writers as in your AMCAS? If so, are you going to ask them to resubmit the letter to GEMS or have them modify the letter to GEMS? I know the application is not open yet so we don't know what the directions will say.

I think you can use the same letter writers as your AMCAS, no need to modify it for the GEMS program. Not sure though, can anyone verify?

Hi All-- From scanning the Georgetown SMP website, it sounds like if you attend Georgetown SOM, you don't have to retake the classes that you took in SMP.

Does anyone know how many classes in total you pass out of? Is it possible to graduate from medical school in three years after SMP?
Not possible to graduate early.

Firstly, small handful of SMP kids go into GUSOM, so don't count on it bro.

Next, while GUSOM will not force you to retake the courses, you still pay the same fees as everyone else. Also, you just take a few less courses. You don't graduate earlier, nor do you pay less. If you take an SMP, think of it like a 5 year MD degree, not a 3 year.

Is anyone else getting nervous that they haven't updated the site with the 2012-2013 information yet? No? Just me?

Is anyone else getting nervous that they haven't updated the site with the 2012-2013 information yet? No? Just me?

Why should you be nervous? It's not like the program's going anywhere. Plus, like I said earlier, it doesn't even open up till February and the information overall should be very similar to last year.

Why should you be nervous? It's not like the program's going anywhere. Plus, like I said earlier, it doesn't even open up till February and the information overall should be very similar to last year.

Because I'm paranoid that they are going to change something and not tell us.

Hey guys...to apply for this program, do you have to apply for Georgetown on your primaries? Thanks in advance

Hey guys I want to apply to Gtown but I got a couple questions I hope you guys can answer. Is there any requirements for to apply? Like you have had to apply to med school and been rejected or Have to apply through amcas. I checked the website but it's not very detailed.

Hey guys I want to apply to Gtown but I got a couple questions I hope you guys can answer. Is there any requirements for to apply? Like you have had to apply to med school and been rejected or Have to apply through amcas. I checked the website but it's not very detailed.

Hey im applying to GEMS as well. the website says you have to be seeking admission into medical school for this cycle...meaning you have to have a verified amcas application and have applied to at least one medical school. The requirements are listed on the website...there is a brochure and Q and A document. Let me know if you need help with additional info. As for the MCAT, the lasted MCAT they accept for the 2012-2013 GEMS application is September 2011. :)

Hey im applying to GEMS as well. the website says you have to be seeking admission into medical school for this cycle...meaning you have to have a verified amcas application and have applied to at least one medical school. The requirements are listed on the website...there is a brochure and Q and A document. Let me know if you need help with additional info. As for the MCAT, the lasted MCAT they accept for the 2012-2013 GEMS application is September 2011. :)

No Way! I never saw this on the website in where you have to apply to medical schools to be eligible for gems. If so, is it too late to submit my primary aamcas? And if I do, wouldn't that make me a reapplicant for next year? Thanks so much!

Hello future doctors,

I was wondering what you or any current GEMS think about my stats.

I have a 2.8 GPA and a 27O MCAT (11VR, 8BS, 8PS).
But, my math and science GPA is only a 1.9 :( I am trying to increase it before I apply in 2013 and could get it to a 2.4.

What should I do.

Thanks!

Hey! The guidelines are under the note section on the website. They havent updated the website so if we do a comparison to last year's guidelines...you would file your amcas app on or around nov. 30th to be eligible for this year's application.

http://gems.georgetown.edu/ : its on the upper right hand corner

Hey! The guidelines are under the note section on the website. They havent updated the website so if we do a comparison to last year's guidelines...you would file your amcas app on or around nov. 30th to be eligible for this year's application.

http://gems.georgetown.edu/ : its on the upper right hand corner

Can I just submit my primary application without applying to medical schools? I am really worried of being called a reapplicant if I submit it to one medical school and I know I will be rejected. Any advice on what to do because my GPA is 2.8 and MCAT is a 19(self studied and did horrible on verbal.) any advice on the AAMCAS application? Thanks so so much guys!

Can I just submit my primary application without applying to medical schools? I am really worried of being called a reapplicant if I submit it to one medical school and I know I will be rejected. Any advice on what to do because my GPA is 2.8 and MCAT is a 19(self studied and did horrible on verbal.) any advice on the AAMCAS application? Thanks so so much guys!

Anybody? My dean told me not to submit primary to one school because medical schools will see me as a reapplicant hurting my chances. Any advice? Thanks so much!

Anybody? My dean told me not to submit primary to one school because medical schools will see me as a reapplicant hurting my chances. Any advice? Thanks so much!

If you think you need an smp, then don't you already need help with your chances? I would suggest asking your advisors which they think would be more beneficial. I was under the impression that the only schools that will see you as a reapplicant are those you have already applied to.

If you are concerned, you could simply apply to GEMS the same year you apply to medical schools. Alternatively, my advisor had suggested applying to a school you would never go to that accepts the amcas, like the PR schools. Hope that helps!

If you think you need an smp, then don't you already need help with your chances? I would suggest asking your advisors which they think would be more beneficial. I was under the impression that the only schools that will see you as a reapplicant are those you have already applied to.

If you are concerned, you could simply apply to GEMS the same year you apply to medical schools. Alternatively, my advisor had suggested applying to a school you would never go to that accepts the amcas, like the PR schools. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much! I am going to submit my primaries before November 30th, the deadline. I will apply to georgetown and just call them to send it to the GEMS program....but can anyone confirm that you will be considered a REAPPLICANT if you apply to the same school again or are you a reapplicant the minute you submit the AAMCAS?

Thanks so much!

^^good question....anyone? Also, having just submitted my app, how bad is it that I submitted my primary this late? (for gems of course...)

Hi Guys!!!!!

Just wondering.... i didnt take mcats yet... wanted to take it on january 2012... unfortunately looks like i cant make it for gems 2012-2013... anybody is in same situation?

im sooo sad....

any input is greatly appreciated!
thanks

Hi Guys!!!!!

Just wondering.... i didnt take mcats yet... wanted to take it on january 2012... unfortunately looks like i cant make it for gems 2012-2013... anybody is in same situation?

im sooo sad....

any input is greatly appreciated!
thanks

Good luck on your mcat, study hard for it, and good luck with your application cycle next year?:shrug: