George Washington vs. University of Tennessee Memphis Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrahmsBombs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

I would love your opinion on GW vs UT Memphis. UT is instate for me but GW is my top choice :love:.

Pros for UT: Close to Family, Integrated Curriculum, 3-4 year clinical exposure, Cheap

Pros for GW: Life in DC, Global Health Track, Better Match Results.

Can anyone give their $0.02 on these two schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely not the right forum for this. I don't even know if Pre-Allo is the right place.

That being said, if you're getting in-state tuition at UT (and it's significantly cheaper), I would take that 9/10 times.

Sorry for the misplacement of this post.

UT will end up being approx. $50,000 cheaper. I work in an ED and the physicians say that $50 grand will not make that much of a difference. Do you think that it will give me the upper hand when it comes to residencies? I am not sure what I want to do yet, but I know for a fact that I do not want to practice in any primary care setting.

Members don't see this ad :)

UT will end up being approx. $50,000 cheaper. I work in an ED and the physicians say that $50 grand will not make that much of a difference. Do you think that it will give me the upper hand when it comes to residencies? I am not sure what I want to do yet, but I know for a fact that I do not want to practice in any primary care setting.

That's really funny. I worked in an ED and people say 50k is a big enough difference to go to the cheaper school haha. I agree with my colleagues, but that's just me. For you though, I doubt either UT or GWU would give you a $50k worth upper hand.

Hello All:

I would love your opinion on GW vs UT Memphis. UT is instate for me but GW is my top choice :love:.

Pros for UT: Close to Family, Integrated Curriculum, 3-4 year clinical exposure, Cheap

Pros for GW: Life in DC, Global Health Track, Better Match Results.

Can anyone give their $0.02 on these two schools?

Thanks!

You don't know how to differentiate between a good and bad match list. My roommate had 260> on step 1 and went into IM. That isn't communicated in the match list.

I'd pick UT. If you are good enough to match high at gw then u can at ut

I'd pick UT. If you are good enough to match high at gw then u can at ut
I second this and was actually in the same position with OHSU and a WL spot at GWU.

To OP, GWU is far more expensive than UT, way more than $50k. UT's cost of attendance is rather misleading. For instance, $32k is reserved for books and supplies. I know many students at UTHSC that never used a dime of those funds. You can rent all books for free and don't need a new laptop each year. UT may not have the baller HP/P/F pre-clinical curriculum and shiny facilities like GWU; but its clinical curriculum is insanely robust and in one of the busiest trauma bays in the nation: see my other post.

Even with all the positives, it was inordinately difficult to withdraw my acceptance from OHSU and withdraw my WL spot from GWU. But in the end, with falling physician reimbursements, a scholarship offer, and learning more about UT's solid program, it all made it very clear that it was my better choice. In retrospect, now that I've committed, met my anatomy group, know where I'm living, and have heard even more stories of the insane clinical prep you receive at UT, I'm so glad I didn't let my preference for other schools overshadow the awesomelicious and financially sound option at UT.

Feel free to PM and discuss further, as I realize this may convey a rather generic assessment.

P.S. It's so weird that I even saw your thread. It popped up on the side panel of one of the physician articles I was reading in an entirely non-forum area of the SDN site...freaky.

I second this and was actually in the same position with OHSU and a WL spot at GWU.

To OP, GWU is far more expensive than UT, way more than $50k. UT's cost of attendance is rather misleading. For instance, $32k is reserved for books and supplies. I know many students at UTHSC that never used a dime of those funds. You can rent all books for free and don’t need a new laptop each year. UT may not have the baller HP/P/F pre-clinical curriculum and shiny facilities like GWU; but its clinical curriculum is insanely robust and in one of the busiest trauma bays in the nation: see my other post.

Even with all the positives, it was inordinately difficult to withdraw my acceptance from OHSU and withdraw my WL spot from GWU. But in the end, with falling physician reimbursements, a scholarship offer, and learning more about UT’s solid program, it all made it very clear that it was my better choice. In retrospect, now that I've committed, met my anatomy group, know where I'm living, and have heard even more stories of the insane clinical prep you receive at UT, I'm so glad I didn't let my preference for other schools overshadow the awesomelicious and financially sound option at UT.

Feel free to PM and discuss further, as I realize this may convey a rather generic assessment.

P.S. It's so weird that I even saw your thread. It popped up on the side panel of one of the physician articles I was reading in an entirely non-forum area of the SDN site...freaky.

I'm incoming at UT as well. Did we meet at housing weekend perhaps?

To OP, GWU is far more expensive than UT, way more than $50k. UT's cost of attendance is rather misleading. For instance, $32k is reserved for books and supplies. I know many students at UTHSC that never used a dime of those funds. You can rent all books for free and don’t need a new laptop each year. UT may not have the baller HP/P/F pre-clinical curriculum and shiny facilities like GWU; but its clinical curriculum is insanely robust and in one of the busiest trauma bays in the nation: see my other post.

Even with all the positives, it was inordinately difficult to withdraw my acceptance from OHSU and withdraw my WL spot from GWU. But in the end, with falling physician reimbursements, a scholarship offer, and learning more about UT’s solid program, it all made it very clear that it was my better choice. In retrospect, now that I've committed, met my anatomy group, know where I'm living, and have heard even more stories of the insane clinical prep you receive at UT, I'm so glad I didn't let my preference for other schools overshadow the awesomelicious and financially sound option at UT.

This price difference is for me specifically. I received a scholarship that helps with some of the costs. I like your insight about UT but would be interested in hearing the specifics about UT. See bolded text above.

I'm incoming at UT as well. Did we meet at housing weekend perhaps?
Perhaps, I was indeed there, the only heavily tattooed guy with the creeper-stash. ;)
This price difference is for me specifically. I received a scholarship that helps with some of the costs. I like your insight about UT but would be interested in hearing the specifics about UT. See bolded text above.
Yes, I'm in the same boat; I also received a scholarship.

I can give you specifics regarding cost differences when I have my laptop returned to me today (traded in for newer model before med school). One facet I can recall off the top of my head, as I already said in my post, is that UT dedicates $8k a year alone (x4 = $32k) to books and supplies. Several current students will tell you that they paid not a dime toward those costs, or perhaps just a few hundred dollars to pick up a few items (e.g., stethoscope, otoscope, etc).

Again, see my post in annother thread that I referenced earlier, which describes UT's strengths in clinical rotations.

why does the OP have "medical student" under his name if he isn't in med school yet? Or am I confused?

Is this student trying to pick a med school or umdergrad school?

why does the OP have "medical student" under his name if he isn't in med school yet? Or am I confused?

Is this student trying to pick a med school or umdergrad school?

Some people switch to med student as soon as they're accepted, while the rest of us switch after we start classes.

Some people switch to med student as soon as they're accepted, while the rest of us switch after we start classes.

So, did this student just come off GWU's waitlist and is now deciding?

50k over 4 years? That will keep getting bigger until it's all paid off (if you're taking loans).

Yes, I plan on switching in about 70 days! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.