Gen Surg Categorical vs. Prelim how should one apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socrates89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is the right forum for this question

IMG here, I will apply for most categorical gen surg spots, but being an IMG I don't think I'm competitive enough, surgery is what I want to for sure, so I will be applying to the gen surg prelim spots as a back-up

Most programs have categorical and prelim spots, how should I apply to them.

1. Should I send out my application to all categorical programs the day the match opens and then wait 1-1.5 months to see if I get any interviews and if I don't or get a few interviews then apply for the prelim spots at the programs where I don't get an interview
  2. Or should I send my application to all programs for categorical and prelim spots at the same time (the day the match opens). I'm not sure how this will look with the program director maybe they might offer me the prelim interview instead of the categorical as they may think I believe that I'm not competitive enough as an applicant.
But the second way I'm risking not getting a prelim interview at some of the best places in country, obviously it will be difficult to convert from a prelim to categorical at those places but being bigger programs they can probably help me get a categorical spot at some other program later on.

What would be the best way to tackle the match?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good question. Many past applicants, including myself and friends, had the same concern. All of my friends, if I remember correctly, elected to apply for both from day 1; I only applied for categorical. IMO, you should apply for both unless you are very confident you will get a categorical. The match is harder than it seems (at least imo) and I would recommend playing as safe as possible.

Good luck!
M

thanks for the advice, if you don't mind me asking how did the match turn out for you and your friends

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion you shouldn't waste your time applying or interviewing for prelim spots, put all you have into obtaining a categorical and categorical only, if you don't get into a categorical spot there will still be plenty of prelim surgery spots waiting for you in the new scramble system.

Unless you have a specific location you desire and would rather be a prelim in a desired location than a categorical somewhere else

Last edited:
It is true that you will easily find prelim spots in Scramble; however, there are a few places where a prelim spot is more likely to lead to a categorical (in the same or other institution) - this has been discussed several times in this forum. Imo, going for "any" prelim spot will most likely result in not finding a PGY2 spot later on. I think it is smart to aim for those specific prelim spots if you cannot get a categ in the first place.

Keep in mind, there are very few desirable (or relatively desirable) programs who will seriously consider IMGs -even the superstars- for categs. About 50 IMGs match annually in categs, but this includes the crappy programs/locations noone else wants to go.

With regard to the OP's question, I don't know how much your chance of getting a categorical would be affected for also checking the prelim box, but I can tell you for sure that you will have very limited options if you choose to go categ only. Although I don't like to give specific personal info, one of my IMG friends with steps ~250/260s (including step 3), recent graduate, research in one of the big names, electives in big names, got 3-4 categ interviews overall and ended up ranking #1 (and matching to) a prelim position.

Just my 0.02

It is true that you will easily find prelim spots in Scramble; however, there are a few places where a prelim spot is more likely to lead to a categorical (in the same or other institution) - this has been discussed several times in this forum. Imo, going for "any" prelim spot will most likely result in not finding a PGY2 spot later on. I think it is smart to aim for those specific prelim spots if you cannot get a categ in the first place.

Keep in mind, there are very few desirable (or relatively desirable) programs who will seriously consider IMGs -even the superstars- for categs. About 50 IMGs match annually in categs, but this includes the crappy programs/locations noone else wants to go.

With regard to the OP's question, I don't know how much your chance of getting a categorical would be affected for also checking the prelim box, but I can tell you for sure that you will have very limited options if you choose to go categ only. Although I don't like to give specific personal info, one of my IMG friends with steps ~250/260s (including step 3), recent graduate, research in one of the big names, electives in big names, got 3-4 categ interviews overall and ended up ranking #1 (and matching to) a prelim position.

Just my 0.02

man that's harsh, thanks for the heads up

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is it possible to do a Prelim year and then apply for a PG-1 categorical spot the next match, and if so does the prelim year increase your chances of this time matching at a categorical spot

Last edited: