Gen Surg Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zzzosyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current OMS3 at a newer DO school in the SE
Around 50th percentile in my class
Step1: 239 Comlex 1: 578
Step2: Currently studying for, but I've been honoring all my rotations and shelves
Research: Working on publishing a case study, have 1 prior publication and 2 presentations from bench work
Extracurricular: Plenty of volunteering, involvement student government and clubs. president of my hospital's student journal club

Considering I score 250+ on CK, how competitive am I to match? What can I do to improve my standing going into 4th year?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Your question would be answered by looking at Charting Outcomes in the Match for DO applicants. Start on page 78. The short answer is that about half of the candidates with your stats match. Make sure you have good letter, apply broadly, and target places known to be friendly to DOs.

Also, please do not cross-post in multiple forums.

Reactions: 1 users
Your question would be answered by looking at Charting Outcomes in the Match for DO applicants. Start on page 78. The short answer is that about half of the candidates with your stats match. Make sure you have good letter, apply broadly, and target places known to be friendly to DOs.

Just to clarify, above the 230 the match rate is 75%.

OP, get good letters and rotate your butt off at places you want to go. Target places known to be DO "friendly." Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify, above the 230 the match rate is 75%.

OP, get good letters and rotate your butt off at places you want to go. Target places known to be DO "friendly." Good luck.

And for a COMLEX of 578, it's somewhere around 50%. Which is why I said 50%. If Step 2 looks more in line with Step 1, then yes, the chances go up.

Thank you so much for the response. Sorry about cross-posting, I thought this was the more appropriate forum after the fact, but didn't realize I couldn't delete my first post.

There is a DO applicant that I know personally that had a slightly lower step 1 than you that got 20 interviews. Granted he applied broadly. In GS your step scores are important and no one cares about comlex if you have step. Just do well on step 2, apply to a lot of programs, and you'll be fine.