* 2015-2016 URM Medical School Application Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone on your successes so far! Y'all are amazing, keep it up.

Reactions: 1 user
Updates:

- Accepted: Pitt, Case, Cincinnati, UVA, Tulane (5)
- Waitlist: EVMS, Morehouse, Mt. Sinai, Brown (4)
- Pre Interview Rejections: Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, NYU, Columbia, U Chicago (6)

Still waiting to hear from Cornell & Colorado post-interview :)

Reactions: 3 users
Some rejections, acceptances, and IIs to report:

Non-traditional, Latino
LizzyM 69-70ish (new mcat)
~17 MD schools
6 II Attended (NYU, Cornell, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown, Harvard)
3 II Withdrawn (Hofstra, Einstein, Dartmouth)
4 Pre-interview Rejection (Georgetown, Hopkins, Penn, Stanford)
4 Silences
4 Acceptances (NYU, Stony Brook, Mt Sinai, Brown)

It appears I interview well, lol. Only 2 schools left to hear back from. Ready for March!
Congrats! What were your stats/EC'S if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What were your stats/EC'S if you don't mind me asking?

Hey, thanks!

My stats were 508 MCAT, 3.94 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA

I have a bunch of ECs to tbh, mostly emphasizing leadership and service. Close to 2 years of research, a unique story (I'm nontraditional).....

As I was writing this, your user name sounded familiar. I checked, and we've indeed spoken before. All the details of my app is in your inbox lol.

Congrats everyone :)

Non-traditional Latina here
3.55 cumulative / 33 MCAT (514ish?)
Applied to 21 schools
7 IIs
3 interviews attended
1 acceptance, 1 waitlist and 1 rejection.

Woot woot!

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE:
2 acceptances
1 waitlist
1 hold
waiting on 2 schools post interview!

Best of luck everyone! We need y'all as physicians out there!

Applying 2016-2017, but I love all of the positivity on this thread! If no one starts one for next cycle, I'm going to start it!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone!! I'm just finding this thread, but I'll contribute :)

- Female
- Applied: 25
- Rejected: 5
- II & Attended: 11 (surprisingly non of these are from my in-state schools)
- Waitlist: 4
- Accepted: 5 :)

I didn't hear back from any other FL schools either other than U.Miami back in October. Just got rejected from UF yesterday tho lol.

I'll be matriculating at Miami

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations to all of you guys!!! I went through this process last year and I understand how it can be predictable and stressful. You guys will make great doctors and remember to pay it forward in your future career as a medical student and physician!

I know how the feeling is with state schools. I didn't even get an II from UNC and they say state schools are supposed to be your best chance. Definitely holding a grudge but still blessed for the acceptances I do have.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I know how the feeling is with state schools. I didn't even get an II from UNC and they say state schools are supposed to be your best chance. Definitely holding a grudge but still blessed for the acceptances I do have.

Most of my state schools rejected me. One of which I will have an issue with for a long time. Since you have "acceptances", I'll take one, thanks! Just kidding. congrats!

@Smoove now that cycle is basically over, do you mind sharing your stats?

@AlphaBeta<3 sure thing

UPDATE now that cycle came to an end!
LizzyM~69

8 IIs (attended 5)

Acceptances(4): Uchicago, UIC, Columbia, WashU (St. Louis)

Waitlist (1): northwestern

Rejections (12): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, Penn, etc lol

Congrats everyone!!!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to all those accepted and sure of where they will attend & good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from schools!

I feel truly blessed to be holding multiple acceptances. I can see myself attending any of the schools in which I have been accepted to. I know this is an extremely subjective question, but I am curious: for those holding multiple acceptances, how are you narrowing down your schools? Are you completing institutional aid forms and awaiting receipt of some sort of financial aid package? Thanks in advance!

Congrats to all those accepted and sure of where they will attend & good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from schools!

I feel truly blessed to be holding multiple acceptances. I can see myself attending any of the schools in which I have been accepted to. I know this is an extremely subjective question, but I am curious: for those holding multiple acceptances, how are you narrowing down your schools? Are you completing institutional aid forms and awaiting receipt of some sort of financial aid package? Thanks in advance!
Location and curriculum (1.5 year preclinical) are the main factors I'm looking at. I'm also looking at how much the school will prepare me for the type of residency I want to apply to (I'm not 100% sure but I have a general idea) My choices have boiled down to two schools, so now I'm going to look at the money and the overall feel of the school.
Which aspects do you value most in a school? Location, something else?

Personally, I'm going to pick the best combination of money and prestige. Prestige in the sense that the school has as many resources as possible (research, free clinics, good matching, etc). But money definitely is my #1. I'm not too picky about moving around and location, though.

Location and curriculum (1.5 year preclinical) are the main factors I'm looking at. I'm also looking at how much the school will prepare me for the type of residency I want to apply to (I'm not 100% sure but I have a general idea) My choices have boiled down to two schools, so now I'm going to look at the money and the overall feel of the school.
Which aspects do you value most in a school? Location, something else?

I was accepted into a school with a 1.5 year preclinical setup and find that to be a possible con. It feels rushed to me--IDK I should probably talk to some more current students about it. Location is not a factor. Money sort of is a factor. I think I have accepted the potential massive debt on the horizon--I think it's expected. Prestige is an interesting factor. I like the way Smoove defined it. Thanks for your thoughts!

Location. All three of my choices cost about the same. My top choice gave me a discount, the other two didn't.

I was accepted into a school with a 1.5 year preclinical setup and find that to be a possible con. It feels rushed to me--IDK I should probably talk to some more current students about it. Location is not a factor. Money sort of is a factor. I think I have accepted the potential massive debt on the horizon--I think it's expected. Prestige is an interesting factor. I like the way Smoove defined it. Thanks for your thoughts!
That makes sense. The main reasons I want that is because I want to take Step 1 after rotations (I hear some people say they're better prepared because they connect the information to actual cases they've seen) and I want a lot of time to really figure out which specialty I want to go into. But your reason for not wanting it is something to consider.

Edit: haha I've almost come to terms with the debt.

anyone choosing between meharry and howard? I've seen threads on this topic but they are outdated. Any takers?

anyone choosing between meharry and howard? I've seen threads on this topic but they are outdated. Any takers?
Hoping to get off the waitlist at Meharry, and never received an II from Howard...so you should definitely pick Howard ;)

Hoping to get off the waitlist at Meharry, and never received an II from Howard...so you should definitely pick Howard ;)

Haha nice one! I really want to know why someone would choose one over the other. Does anyone know? Any current meharry or Howard students out there? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm currently at an osteopathic medical school as a first-year student. I'm open to answering questions. Good luck to all! :)
Do you have any experience with the diversity department at schools you applied to? I know allopathic schools are big on diversity but I'm having no luck finding information about diversity on osteopathic med. school websites. Thanks for your help.

This is currently the struggle of my life right now, accepted at both but if I was forced to decide today I would choose Meharry.

yea same here...why would you choose meharry over howard?

I'm not a big fan of DC, Meharry was my first acceptance which is big to me, I like their curriculum over howard in that you have to do research to graduate and they also have medical Spanish, both student bodies are amazing but Meharry just felt like a better fit. The residency programs I'm looking at I've seen a lot more Meharry grads even though I've seen Howard grads too. Plus Meharry has the maps program to help you ease into the transition of medical school. Howard has PARP which is only for certain people and is a conditional acceptance which means if you don't do as well as they like, all your hard work to get in is out of the window. These are my reasons but if HUCM gives me a nice award package this could all change but I doubt that happens. Lol

I'm not a big fan of DC, Meharry was my first acceptance which is big to me, I like their curriculum over howard in that you have to do research to graduate and they also have medical Spanish, both student bodies are amazing but Meharry just felt like a better fit. The residency programs I'm looking at I've seen a lot more Meharry grads even though I've seen Howard grads too. Plus Meharry has the maps program to help you ease into the transition of medical school. Howard has PARP which is only for certain people and is a conditional acceptance which means if you don't do as well as they like, all your hard work to get in is out of the window. These are my reasons but if HUCM gives me a nice award package this could all change but I doubt that happens. Lol

ahh I see. I feel like Maps *could* hurt some students in a similar way...I mean I've heard of students not passing one of the classes...but they just had to retake it and the person I spoke to made it seem as if it wasn't a big deal...so there's that....Im confused also because Howard has more residency programs....so if someone wanted to do ortho or derm...they might have a slight edge bc of the networking/research etc. I think most students do research in the summer or not...idk it depends on their career goals I guess and what they ultimately want to choose in terms of a speciality...I think if its a competitive speciality or if they are trying to match at a top of the line program say Brigham for OB/GYN then they would have to do research whether its required or not...I know we are not supposed to look at match lists because there is a lot of self-selection and we don't know the reasons certain ppl chose one program over another *BUT* I do think HUCM's match list is stronger...and they also match into a lot more competitive specialties....anyone else want to chime in?

ahh I see. I feel like Maps *could* hurt some students in a similar way...I mean I've heard of students not passing one of the classes...but they just had to retake it and the person I spoke to made it seem as if it wasn't a big deal...so there's that....Im confused also because Howard has more residency programs....so if someone wanted to do ortho or derm...they might have a slight edge bc of the networking/research etc. I think most students do research in the summer or not...idk it depends on their career goals I guess and what they ultimately want to choose in terms of a speciality...I think if its a competitive speciality or if they trying to match at a top of the line program say Brigham for OB/GYN then they would have to do research whether its required or not...I know we are not supposed to look at match lists because there is a lot of self-selection and we don't know the reasons certain ppl chose one program over another *BUT* I do think HUCM's match list is stronger...and they also match into a lot more competitive specialties....anyone else want to chime in?

Yeah but maps isn't conditional. You can retake the classes, not lose your acceptance all together opposed to PARP. To me your post is slightly geared toward prestige which Howard has over Meharry. I'm going into primary care which Meharry is better at. I have mentors that have come from both schools that'd say Howard is better at specialties. Look at Yale and Johns Hopkins residency list and you'll see a few Meharry grads in primary care. Howard has the prestige and better matching for specialties if that's what you're looking for.

Yeah but maps isn't conditional. You can retake the classes, not lose your acceptance all together opposed to PARP. To me your post is slightly geared toward prestige which Howard has over Meharry. I'm going into primary care which Meharry is better at. I have mentors that have come from both schools that'd say Howard is better at specialties. Look at Yale and Johns Hopkins residency list and you'll see a few Meharry grads in primary care. Howard has the prestige and better matching for specialties if that's what you're looking for.

How do you know you want to go into primary care? Have u done a lot of shadowing? I feel like I'm all over the place with speciality choice and that may be making my decision harder....

Last edited:
How do you know you want to go into primary care? Have u done a lot shadowing? I feel like I'm all over the place with speciality choice and that may be making my decision harder....

Yeah my main reason for going into medicine centers around giving back to the community through primary care. I work in a level one trauma center that has most specialties and they just don't appeal to me. I want to take care of my own patients/community. I have over 2000 hours of patient contact/shadowing and specialties are cool I think it just depends on your personality and what you like. Don't forget at Meharry they have the Vanderbilt alliance who has almost all specialties. It's hard to choose between the two lol

Honestly, for you, it sounds like Meharry might be better. You've done your research on the Pros and Cons of both. You've already expressed that Meharry would be a better fit for you. And you don't like DC lol.