* 2015-2016 URM Medical School Application Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remzremz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not see one of these for this cycle so I figured I would get one going. The one from last year (and previous years) was very motivational and seemed very helpful for many applicants. I am not applying this cycle but would love to hear about the applicants in this year's pool.

Feel free to tell us about yourself below (GPA, Major, MCAT, Non-traditional, EC, Volunteering, Research, Funny Story, anything) or ask questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Extending well wishes to all of this year's applicants! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hello. Just checking in! What schools are you guys applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all!

Super excited to be applying this year! I actually just submitted my application last night. Cried like a baby, lol. This whole process means so much to me and I'm thankful that God has been with me every step of the way. I could NOT have done this by myself, at all. I just wanted to say to everyone that made it to this point that you are here for a reason. Jesus has a purpose for us all to not only heal the sick physically but to also heal them spiritually, for Him to manifest His glory in this world through us. And when times are tough that understanding can be your strongest motivator and source of strength. I am just so joyful that I may have the opportunity to do this. Thank you Jesus.

P.s. I'm surprised there isn't a thread about the American Medical Education Conference. S/O to SNMA and MAPS! Did anybody go?

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
hey everyone! good luck this cycle! i hope every one is serious about applying this cycle has submitted their application for Verification! even if your school list is not set in stone. you can add schools later. If anything and you are unsure of schools, just submit for your state schools and hbcus and then build on that as you go!

3.65 (uGPA - Major: Bio)
3.6 sGPA
3.89(grad GPA)
25 MCAT African-Am. Female
Technically non-trad because I went to grad school first.
EC /Volunteering op.
- EMT-B
- Very involved in church orchestra, band, cleaning team, .. anything in church.. I was in it and held a leadership position there.
- Held 3 Presidency positions in school related orgs (one was a community service based org), served as a VP in two, a secretary in one...
- An active member in about 6 orgs on and off campus
Research
-
Completed 2 summer research programs
- Scattered research experiences
- 1 year at a lab at my grad program

I am applying to a total of 20 schools. Good luck everyone!! Very nervous about my stats and whether I will get in.. but we will see.

Put in my primary June 18th.. just patiently waiting to be verified.... :/

Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Question guys: I thought med schools can't give you secondary app until you are verified?! I just received a secondary app from GW and I am not verified yet.

Question guys: I thought med schools can't give you secondary app until you are verified?! I just received a secondary app from GW and I am not verified yet.
you dont have to be verified to get a secondary. since some schools automatically send their applicants secondaries, you might get a secondary once the school is 'alerted' that you've put in a primary.

Nontrad female in her mid-thirties.
Currently a working Registered Nurse (ER) and EMT with a background in teaching and the arts.
Full-time student (Biology) with ongoing research.
Medical and non-medical volunteering including literacy outreach and disaster relief.
30 MCAT

Submitted AACOMAS on 6/2 and AMCAS on 6/3. AMCAS is verified and went to schools today; AACOMAS not verified yet due to a wayward transcript. Should be any day now on that, I hope.

Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Nontrad female in her mid-thirties.
Currently a working Registered Nurse (ER) and EMT with a background in teaching and the arts.
Full-time student (Biology) with ongoing research.
Medical and non-medical volunteering including literacy outreach and disaster relief.
30 MCAT

Submitted AACOMAS on 6/2 and AMCAS on 6/3. AMCAS is verified and went to schools today; AACOMAS not verified yet due to a wayward transcript. Should be any day now on that, I hope.

Best of luck to you all!
Your MCAT is pretty good! I'm sure you'll get into plenty of MD schools! Good luck!

Black
Male
Non-trad (postbac- strong upward trend)
Bio Major HBCU undergrad
3.18 cGPA UG
3.10 sGPA UG
502 mcat

Diverse EC/Volunteering/Research:
ER scribe (1000+ hours), Mentorship to underprivileged, HIV/AID clinic volunteer, Student Programming Board in college, other smaller experiences, three different areas of research (2 small pubs)

Scared sh*tless, hoping that somebody will pick me up haha

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm somewhere between dreading to pre-write secondaries and being anxious about my application not being verified yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm somewhere between dreading to pre-write secondaries and being anxious about my application not being verified yet.

Not sure how many schools you're applying to but I would STRONGLY suggest you start pre-writing. If you can start developing some pretty good generic answers that you can tailor later on for particular schools then you would be so much less stressed out when they actually start flowing in. Its like a flood-gate bc most schools don't screen you out anymore for secondaries so you'll get like 5 one day and then another 5 the next day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how many schools you're applying to but I would STRONGLY suggest you start pre-writing. If can start developing some pretty good generic answers that you can tailor later on for particular schools then you would be so much less stressed out when they actually start flowing in. Its like a flood-gate bc most schools don't screen you out anymore for secondaries so you'll get like 5 one day and then another 5 the next day.

That's so true! The day my app was verified, I had about 7 secondaries in my inbox by the end of the day. Just try to avoid as much stress as possible, and pre-write your secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
Random question: when a school says
"The Committee on Admissions’ screening committee will review application materials to determine which applicants will be invited for an on-campus interview. To be eligible for screening, applications must meet minimum academic criteria: a cumulative undergraduate science GPA of 3.0 or higher, as calculated by AMCAS; and a composite MCAT score of 27, highest composite score, or 503 on MCAT15. "

Does this mean the highest of all three scores? or the highest score combined?

I am starting drafts now lol low motivation.

Not sure how many schools you're applying to but I would STRONGLY suggest you start pre-writing. If you can start developing some pretty good generic answers that you can tailor later on for particular schools then you would be so much less stressed out when they actually start flowing in. Its like a flood-gate bc most schools don't screen you out anymore for secondaries so you'll get like 5 one day and then another 5 the next day.

When did you submit your app? I just noticed we had the same MCAT date. lol I'm just finally recovering from the psychological warfare that was the MCAT2015.

When did you submit your app? I just noticed we had the same MCAT date. lol I'm just finally recovering from the psychological warfare that was the MCAT2015.

Man, me too. I submitted my app the first day it opened like 2 minutes past 9AM; I verified like or the next day, if not sooner. I started pre-writing during the month of June and then started getting secondaries July 1st and they've been trickling in since.

Man, me too. I submitted my app the first day it opened like 2 minutes past 9AM; I verified like or the next day, if not sooner. I started pre-writing during the month of June and then started getting secondaries July 1st and they've been trickling in since.

That's amazing! I was so exhausted from the MCAT I didn't get finished until the 24. You are definitely on the ball, that gives me a bit more motivation :p.

Random question: when a school says
"The Committee on Admissions’ screening committee will review application materials to determine which applicants will be invited for an on-campus interview. To be eligible for screening, applications must meet minimum academic criteria: a cumulative undergraduate science GPA of 3.0 or higher, as calculated by AMCAS; and a composite MCAT score of 27, highest composite score, or 503 on MCAT15. "

Does this mean the highest of all three scores? or the highest score combined?

I dont think they mean combined or superscore. Therefore to pass the screening you have to make at 27 or higher. Or for MCAT2015, make a 503 or higher. But I think you should email/ call the school for clarification. What school is this?? If you dont mind me asking.

I dont think they mean combined or superscore. Therefore to pass the screening you have to make at 27 or higher. Or for MCAT2015, make a 503 or higher. But I think you should email/ call the school for clarification. What school is this?? If you dont mind me asking.
Rush Med

checking in
3.4cGPA and 3.2sGPA and 503 on MCAT (but i retook and new score coming in mid-August)
I am applying to 28 schools but my GPA and MCAT are making me very nervous. I have good ECs and great LORS
but yea... Im hoping my next score is at least a 507

I'm pretty new to this but just wanted to say hello! :)
3.6cGPA 3.7sGPA, 506 MCAT very strong upward trend
I applied to about 20 schools.

I'm so burned out from secondaries :(

3.67 cGPA and 3.49 sGPA
502 MCAT
Hispanic (Mexican-American) female.
supplemental instruction leader for Biology, leadership position in school organization, about 150 hours of shadowing experience, mission trip volunteer, Medical Scribe, volunteer at local hospital and hospice and lots of other random things :p
Hobbies: I love trying to learn different languages :)
My Texas primary was submitted to schools on 5/28, and I sent my AMCAS primary June 2. I took my MCAT April 17th, and my scores were not out till June 16th. My committee letter was barely submitted last week. Feeling a bit anxious seeing some already get interview invites :oops:
Sounds like you have a great application. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon!

3.67 cGPA and 3.49 sGPA
502 MCAT
Hispanic (Mexican-American) female.
supplemental instruction leader for Biology, leadership position in school organization, about 150 hours of shadowing experience, mission trip volunteer, Medical Scribe, volunteer at local hospital and hospice and lots of other random things :p
Hobbies: I love trying to learn different languages :)
My Texas primary was submitted to schools on 5/28, and I sent my AMCAS primary June 2. I took my MCAT April 17th, and my scores were not out till June 16th. My committee letter was barely submitted last week. Feeling a bit anxious seeing some already get interview invites :oops:
Wait people already have interviews?! My stupid pre-med committee isn't sending out my letters till August 20th. I am trying to stay calm especially since I worked so hard to finish all my secondaries completed by last week. What a waste!

Yeah, trust me I feel your pain. Especially when I requested mine to be written back in May. Honestly, don't stress yourself out looking at the school specific threads. It'll just make you irritable, and I'm sorry if I have done that to you, but yeah, the committee letter is what made me fall behind too :(

Haha no you're fine! Its okay! Its not your fault my pre-med committee's timeline is haywire. Good luck with the cycle!

I am so thankful this is a thread!! I just found it and it is so nice to know you are all out there too and read through all the encouragements.

I interviewed last year and it was really intimidating when people were making small talk and people were talking about their parents being neurosurgeons at the university hospital.

cGPA-3.7, sGPA-3.9, MCAT-25. Socioeconomic underrepresented.

Just submitted my Amcas app. Late, I know. I'm so nervous right now.

I'm currently at an osteopathic medical school as a first-year student. I'm open to answering questions. Good luck to all! :)

Good luck SDN URMs!!! If you have any questions PM me or ask in here. Rising 2nd year.

Hey all!

I am so happy about this thread!

cGPA: 3.4
sGPC: 3.9
MCAT: 503 (I considered retaking but ultimately decided against it)
AA female, 30 year old non-trad
Lots of leadership and ECs
Over 1,000 non-medical hours and over 200 medical hours
Some research
I was verified on 7/29 have applied to 32 schools (my bank account is crying)
I've received 17 secondaries and submitted 16.

I look forward to continuing on this journey with you guys. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
II at Morehouse today!!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone!! I don't post often but I decided to share my stats with my fellow URMs. :shy:

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 502
Non-trad, Puerto Rican female
Texas resident
1.5 years research, no publication
RN for 3 years

Applying to all 10 Texas schools (including Baylor, just to say I did LOL) and Univeristy of Colorado!

Hope the cycle is going well for everyone so far. Stay encouraged!

cGPA:3.5
sgpa:3.25
Mcat: 29/29/ And then 515
E.C.'s: eh, volunteering, shadowing , the usual snuff
PA resident

Last edited:
GPA: 4.00
29 MCAT
AA
Average EC's
Student athlete all through college
Applied to 12 schools w/ 7 II's thus far
So glad I'm a Texas resident!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hey all! Happy to see this thread, and congrats to everyone who has gotten II's thus far. A little bit about me:

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.1 (ugh)
MCAT: 505
25 year old AA female, non-trad
CA resident
Mentor, health educator, 1.5 years research, non profit work, shadowing, studied abroad, clinical experience, etc.
Great LORs
applying MD/DO but UCLA PRIME and Drew-UCLA are top choices

My low GPA definitely scares me. I have received 14 secondaries thus far and I am completely overwhelmed with trying to complete them!

Got a II at NYU school of Medicine y'all! Shaking right now. :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
II at WVU SOM yesterday!!! my 2nd one!!!so excited!!