GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rags-psalm 37 is one of my favs!:)

I know we are on page 3, I can't wait til more people post,

Psalm 37 eh? I just read it (in class). it's reassuring.

(it's interesting how we become so much more spiritual during times that are out of our control vs. when everything is okay)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey yanimae,

I saw that you applied last year. did you complete your application? get an interview? do they explain why you didn't get in if you are re-applying?
Any tips?

Hey Rags,

I did apply last year however I found out about the program super last minute, so my application was not as strong as it could have been. Also, after speaking to Dean Williams I learned that my MCATs were a bit on the shaky side and it was waaaay too late in the game to retake them. After doing so in August though and getting back a decent score, I decided to give it a go the following year. Hope this helps!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Psalm 37 eh? I just read it (in class). it's reassuring.

(it's interesting how we become so much more spiritual during times that are out of our control vs. when everything is okay)

I completely agree. I don't think I've ever been so spiritual. I pray everyday. I never did that before.

thanks for the welcome :)

I have to agree with those holding on to a prayer. A major point of worship is having faith in the unknown which, with our GEMS situation, is pretty much the same thing :O

Seriously though, whatever floats your boat (and keeps you calm) is the way to fly .......... :)

suerte gente!!!

I love how the GEMS posts become so active during the days of waiting/anticipation.

So where you guys all from? rags-I see you're from texas....

I'm from New York:)

what disadvantaged communties do you want to help?
This is vague but for me it's poor US communities and US immigrant populations

I live right outside of Washington DC in Northern VA (10 min). I would love to help US immigrant communities especially Hispanics.

I'm changing this post to :

give a fun fact about yourself : )

My girlfriend and I went to a pet store to get a pug. We came back with a Cat. We thought it was a male cat and it turned out to be a female cat.

Apparently, my girlfriend was able to convince me that a cat was a better pet and that I realized I wasn't able to differentiate a cat's sex.....HAHA :laugh:

thanks for the welcome :)

I have to agree with those holding on to a prayer. A major point of worship is having faith in the unknown which, with our GEMS situation, is pretty much the same thing :O

Seriously though, whatever floats your boat (and keeps you calm) is the way to fly .......... :)

suerte gente!!!

Like all of you, I am praying as well. In fact, I will say a prayer for all of you too. Perhaps, we will all be in the entering class.:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I live right outside of Washington DC in Northern VA (10 min). I would love to help US immigrant communities especially Hispanics.

Letsee i was born in Austin and i live in a MUA area ( medically undeserved area)

I have helped mainly disadvantaged such as homeless, domestic abuse, and volunteered in clinics for the uninsured( because my own family is uninsured.) so i suppose my passion is those.

I'm Chinese but i'm probably considered disadvanaged because of my parents not having stable jobs the past 7 years. mother is part time secretary and father is unemployed or part time grease trapper for restaurants.

Though i'm not ethnically disadvantaged , i'm probably financially and academically as I come from a hs with "no"academic background in the sciences and engineering( I found out that there were 2.7 percent of majors in any of the sciences from my graduating highschool class.)

letsee other than that, i have upward trend in gpa last 3 semesters. cum. 2.92 gpa (with 3.8 last 45 hours) and a 25 P mcat.

Texas gave me near full grants to go to school due to my family's financial situation so I totally capitalized on it. Even though science gpa is bad, I am finishing my double major in Biology and Psychology with minors in English and neuroscience with the last three having > than 3.5 gpa.
but Nothing compared to some of you post grad's experience i know >.< like gtownmed and onthefly.. but something i will look back and be like cool!

Last edited:
Can you guys believe some MIGHT hear tomorrow "dum dum dum" : )

UPDATE: they canceled all GEMS classes today....can you believe it they must be making the call-pile list. I heard they contact by location though...like if you are farther from DC then you get called tom. if you are closer then next week. not sure

Wait... So since I'm from California, I would probably hear something tomorrow? My phone will be attached to my hip tomorrow. :xf:

Good luck to everyone tommorow I shall be praying as well

Hi Everyone,

I've also applied to the GEMS program and I'm praying for an interview and acceptance along with the rest of you. I know that this program is exactly what I need and I'm hoping our phones ring for an interview very soon!:)

Yes, good luck to you all!!! You'll be in my prayers!

I have also applied to the GEMS Program, and pray for an interview and acceptance too.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I applied to the Drexel DPMS program which is just like GEMS. I was apparently rejected because my SAT and MCAT are too high. So despite the fact that I am no different than any other applicant (I am URM and grew up/was schooled in a poor urban city) I was basically dq'd due to my scores.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can shed light on why they would do this?

It just seems outrageous to essentially punish someone for doing well on standardized tests. Hoping that GEMS doesnt pull the same number on me.

Though I haven't experienced the exact same thing, I have been rejected because my MCATs were too low ;) That is, i'm sure, just as disappointing.

I would consider it a compliment to say that these programs (which are trying to help not just URM, but disadvantaged students as reflected in their MCATS or GPA) are rejecting you because they identify you as a strong candidate that will eventually get into a medical school without their help.

the 30 people that get into DPMS and GEMS are the people that could use a little boost as they have not had it through family/hereditary environment, academic background, financial etc.

It seems that you have the upbringing and work ethic to succeed without these programs "despite" your skin color and location of where you are from.. (Although i'm sure you are disappointed for having to pay money in applications for people to tell you that.)

Last edited:
have you heard any updates from gems students?

Last edited:
Rags, thanks for your insight. You are right, these programs are made for folks that could you use the extra boost that they never had.... but I am one of them! I grew up in Camden, NJ under similar conditions whichi I read you have lived through and struggled all throughout college academically because I worked every free hour I had to pay my family's bills. (there was one time I didnt even make it to a genetics FINAL because my a-hole boss threatened to fire me if I missed work) I think they just saw my test scores and wrote me off as some privileged kid trying to pass himself as disadvantaged...nothing could be farther from the truth.

btw, not looking for sympathy here since we all have our ghetto-living horror stories, just trying to see other's perspectives about why this could have occurred. It is great to hear your opinions.

I see.

To be honest, you could come to Texas for medschool. Since your scores are above the GEMS mcat average as well as DPMS( Mine is probably permissible at 25) you should consider coming here : ). if yours is higher than 25 consider yourself a doctor here where our average is 27.

Last edited:
so does this mean that they will probably start calling on monday??

so does this mean that they will probably start calling on monday??

haha or maybe none of us were qualified enough to receive the calls. this seems to be the case from last year where virtually no one got calls( for the people that posted earlier).
The only people that got calls were the random new posters that posted their good news

haha or maybe none of us were qualified enough to receive the calls. this seems to be the case from last year where virtually no one got calls( for the people that posted earlier).
The only people that got calls were the random new posters that posted their good news

uh oh lol

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm new to Student Doc and have also applied to GEMS this year. Good luck to everyone! I've been really anxious and have been checking my phone all day.

nada.....nothing! as frustrating as this all is though, i'm glad there's a forum where we can post and support one another!!

why dont i independently take on the roll as "one who tries to calm/make laugh" person......really, I just like Youtube :) earlier I posted a link to the "Scrubin" med school parody....to get our minds off med school stuff, check this out......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlfKdbWwruY

suerte gente!!

one last thing....the guy in the video actually travelled the world - this isn't some kind of crazy Photoshop creation. All his expenses were completely paid for after convincing Stride gum that it would be a good publicity stunt. Moral of the story......if not GEMS, then there's hope in the gum business :)

Hey DrKMD.....WELCOME!

so it seems like they are really behind! maybe monday?

Honestly, I think they are just overwhelmed. They appeared to have more applicants this year than any previous years. Given the trend with the current economic crisis and global recession, more people are attempting to return to school. GEMS has always said everyone on the admission committee reads every complete application. So, let's give them time.

We also need to take into consideration that on the GEMS website, it said they would give individuals who sent their materials postmarked on March 27, 2009 a few days to arrive. This tells me that the GEMS Admission Committee probably did not start looking at the applications until April 1, 2009. This means that they only had 3 full days to review perhaps 200+ applications.

Also, what happened last year, with regards to having so little invitations to the interviews by SDN'ers is not reflective of what will happen this year at all. No need to stress yourself too much. :)

I think we should all just sit tight and really trust in our application and believe that GEMS will do what they do best.

Perhaps, Monday will be the big day. Good luck y'all and have a great weekend. :xf::luck:

i think part of the reason there are so many applicants this year is because, unlike last year, they didn't take down the PDF file from their website, giving people an extra week and a half to download and submit. I think the last time I checked, the application was still posted online!! I don't know, as of now it's all speculation :)

suerte gente!

I know they say that patience is a virtue but this waiting is excrutiating.... The only thing we can do now is to chillax and act like we never even applied to the program and thus when we receive calls, we'll be delightly surprised :) (at least I keep telling myself that) haha.

Just keep praying and know that whatever is meant to happen will happen. If it doesn't, then it wasn't meant to be. No sense in stressing. Ask and ye shall receive....words to live by.

Good luck y'all!! ;)

Hey guys,
Just wanted to offer some words of wisdom. "No one can tell you, that you cant do something if you want it bad enough." "Take advantage of every opportunity, and when you feel like there are none, make your own." "Never assume, ASK!" and finally "act as though someone is always watching."

I urge you not to put boundaries on definitions, scores, backgrounds, statistics, or past history. You are all individuals , THAT is what you want them to see!

You have gotten this far and most of you are applying because you know that you dont define yourselves by any of that stuff. RIGHTFULLY SO!

Its a waiting game, and I have been there. Be positive, truly positive and try not to give concrete advice if there is no definitive answer.

The medical profession is FULL of leaps and hurdles, trust me this wont be your last. (thats what makes it so great):)

Good luck to everyone waiting:) No on really knows the process!!!!

AND FINALLY:)
Let go and let GOD. Truly, everything happens for a reason. I know its not what you want to hear..but i swear you will understand.

If anyone has any questions, please email me.

PS. Texas is almost impossible to get into if you are not born there:) TRUST ME! they will tell you if you call. its always good to ask before you invest your money.

Hey guys,
Just wanted to offer some words of wisdom. "No one can tell you, that you cant do something if you want it bad enough." "Take advantage of every opportunity, and when you feel like there are none, make your own." "Never assume, ASK!" and finally "act as though someone is always watching."

I urge you not to put boundaries on definitions, scores, backgrounds, statistics, or past history. You are all individuals , THAT is what you want them to see!

You have gotten this far and most of you are applying because you know that you dont define yourselves by any of that stuff. RIGHTFULLY SO!

Its a waiting game, and I have been there. Be positive, truly positive and try not to give concrete advice if there is no definitive answer.

The medical profession is FULL of leaps and hurdles, trust me this wont be your last. (thats what makes it so great):)

Good luck to everyone waiting:) No on really knows the process!!!!

AND FINALLY:)
Let go and let GOD. Truly, everything happens for a reason. I know its not what you want to hear..but i swear you will understand.

If anyone has any questions, please email me.

PS. Texas is almost impossible to get into if you are not born there:) TRUST ME! they will tell you if you call. its always good to ask before you invest your money.

Well said and thank you!

Has anyone noticed that this year they will start calling for interviews during Holy Week which starts tomorrow? Maybe it's a sign of good news :)....just a thought.

Has anyone noticed that this year they will start calling for interviews during Holy Week which starts tomorrow? Maybe it's a sign of good news :)....just a thought.

They will start calling us tomorrow?

They will start calling us tomorrow?

No no...I was saying that Holy Week starts tomorrow. I'm sure they'd be making phone calls this coming week which is during Holy Week. Sorry for the confusion, :)

LOL, I have no idea why I had 4 bars under my username?? Maybe b/c of the # of posts I had?? It doesn't appear anymore as far as I can tell! So we are now equal!:D j/k

moto_za,

Do you mind sharing why you have 4 bars of green under your reputation?
how does one go about obtaining that?

The average MCAT matriculant in Texas is 27 -28. Thus, it's like automatic if you hit above that.
After the first year that you become a resident, you'll actually be going to some of the lowest costting schools in the nation.

Texas A&M *( my school) for instance is:30,000 $per year with everything including board ( tuition being 8,000, non res being 20,000 for the first year) You can apply for residency after that.

Georgetown on the other hand needs a total of about 72,000 per year (tuition being 40,000 alone) plust it's average MCAT is like 33 while it's SMP program is 28. Insane. Talk about a state being "disadvantaged" too..

does anyone know if we can or how we can find out why we weren't accepted?

do we write in an email to the gems program?

Emailing would probably work best, but I bet we could also call the admissions' office at the number that was provided. Have you heard from them already?