GEMS Georgetown 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I asked and they won't accept it, eventhough my primary application was verified and reviewed last year. I had to push back my MCAT date since I didn't have time to adequatley prepare for it. :(

Sorry to hear that too. I think its better to make sure you do well on the MCAT than to rush it. Good luck on your MCAT. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks guys. But I already took my MCAT in January and got my results back. I got a decent score but with my bad GPA, programs like GEMS are my only chance in getting into med school. Hopefully, I can still make it into Drexel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, today's the day....the deadline for applications!! Good luck to everyone that applied and I hope that we'll start hearing good news next week. (Praying like there's no tomorrow) :D

Does anyone know when will they start calling for interviews??

Next Wed, Thursday??

If you get a call, please post:)

And Good Luck to everyone!!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!! And just to reiterate what was stated above, the lucky ones please post so that we have an idea of when the calls start coming in! As my man Che would say....Hasta La Victoria Siempre!!!! Good LUCK!!!!

Good luck everyone! Have faith! God will do what's best.

I have had my application submitted since the 25th of February, thinking that it would help expedite the process. And now that it's finally time to start expecting a phone call I'm a lot more on edge. what sucks is that I work in a building with no cell phone service inside, so I imagine I will be leaving every 30 minutes to check my voicemail. haha. Good Luck to all who have applied (unless you have a better chance of getting in than I do!!) lol

Hey Guys,

I've Applied to the GEMS also. . . . getting very excited to hear back!

good luck!! I think some will hear back by the end of this week!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep checking my phone too. I guess we are on the same boat...lol:D

Yea, the wait is the worst part! I wonder how many applications they received..

Hey guys,

I also applied.

I didn't know there was a thread for this on the post-bacc site. ( i only looked at" underrepresented")

For some reason, they keep every piece of information we want to hear ..quiet.

However some information I was able to glean:

- I did hear that close to 200 people applied ( although i'm not sure which ones of these or all actually count for "completion")

-I also heard from them that people that completed their apps early didn't really have an advantage.. because they really began to check the apps today. ( I submitted mine on Feb 15th completed mine (with 3 recs) on March 11th.. to bad no advantage there :()

- The admissions staff and everyone there is under a lot of stress ( which explains a lot of the curt replies)

Did anyone get these type of replies?. any new info?

Since i'm new to this thread this is my info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590932

-
funny_cat1.jpg
funny_cat.jpg
index.cfm
index.cfm

Last edited:
I got the postcard today saying my app is complete. Wonder how long it will be until we hear about interviews...

Hey guys,

I also applied.

I didn't know there was a thread for this on the post-bacc site. ( i only looked at" underrepresented")

For some reason, they keep every piece of information we want to hear ..quiet.

However some information I was able to glean:

- I did hear that close to 200 people applied ( although i'm not sure which ones of these or all actually count for "completion")

-I also heard from them that people that completed their apps early didn't really have an advantage.. because they really began to check the apps today. ( I submitted mine on Feb 15th completed mine (with 3 recs) on March 11th.. to bad no advantage there :()

- The admissions staff and everyone there is under a lot of stress ( which explains a lot of the curt replies)

Did anyone get these type of replies?. any new info?

Since i'm new to this thread this is my info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590932

I thought GEMS specifically asked for 2 letter of recs only?

Thank you for all your information by the way.

The wait is the hardest part, but I am sure we will hear from them soon. The GEMS Admission Committee are probably all working over time. Props to them.

:)

I don't think Turkish people are considered URMs. Although, I wish they were! I'm Turkish, too! :)

Hey Mandanesss, were you born in Turkey or here? I came to the US when I was 5 years old...I was born in Ankara.

Yeah, they only asked for two as requirement for consideration ( or a University letter) . However, I emailed several months ago to ask if three recs were okay because I had a community service coordinator that knew me for 5 years in addition to the two science professors that were preferred.

So I did ask for permission specifically..

I've compiled a list based on responses on Student Network of who is applying to the GEMS program for 2009-10 year.

MedMergency
Nlachhman
Mandanesss
RJpark 2
Moto_za
Eefdaman
Obitwo27
beerog2003
DKVL
Yanimae
Gtownmed78
Onthefly
Drfsu21
DrDiva06
Webbster82
Tachy23
Jamrock
Lovedg
ragstoMD

That's a sample of 19 people right here. ( and let me know if you need to be added)

Quick Gems Background:

2006: 139 applied and 29 accepted
2007: 187 applied and 37 were accepted
2008: 149 applied and 27 were accepted
2009: ~200 applied.. not sure how many completed?

30% of the applicants were invited last year for interview meaning roughly 50-55 people were asked to interview.

Last year, they started consideration April 2nd, or, the Monday after.

The earliest interview call i've seen is April 4th or, the Friday of that year.( meaning they probably started considering for us yesterday)
SOMEONE should be getting calls towards the end of this week. But, calls will be made until at least the week after that as well.
The latest I saw for an invite was April 14th.( or a week before the first interview)

How they choose is via voting process from each faculty member. How each member on the committee will read everything on all 160 people's file ( including Recs) I have no idea.

When you get a call for an interview, do you think you can tell us what your stats were? etc? or, what you think gave you the "advantage"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, ragstoMD! :laugh:

To
nlachhman: You'd totally fool me there....lol

I know you guys know that they have been reviewing since Monday but here is confirmation: I spoke to my friend in the program today and she said that some of their GEMS classes have been cut short this week because they are super busy reviewing OUR applications...:oops:

Thank you for the information. I am assuming they will not call eligible candidates for an interview until they review all applications.

Yeah,
It seems like there is no advantage to having sent in applications earlier.
Thanks for the info Nlach
Also, the earliest I've read is 5 days after the formal deadline.Or, the equivelant of April 3rd for us.
That was "early" the others got interview calls up to a week after or the 10th for us.

I also read that some people that got accepted had some upward trend in GPA towards the end.
However,
(many of the original posters that started 2008 GEMS on SDN didn't get interviewed)
scary.

I agree about that obsessive compulsive doctor statement. Nlach,
However, it seems you have applied to Drexel DPMS as well so you have other possibilites
As for me,
I applied there as well but apparently I don't "qualify" because I scored a 25 on my MCAT with none being lower than a 6?

Yeah, I have upper trend in GPA as well with three strong recommendations.
So I think GEMS is perfect for me.

However, I heard (through previous applicants) that people that took Biochem get more seriously considered. I made B's in those two semesters as well as taking A&P what about you?

Is everyone here science majors?

However, it seems you have applied to Drexel DPMS as well so you have other possibilites
As for me,
I applied there as well but apparently I don't "qualify" because I scored a 25 on my MCAT with none being lower than a 6?

However, I heard (through previous applicants) that people that took Biochem get more seriously considered. I made B's in those two semesters as well as taking A&P what about you?

Undergradaute: Chem
Graduate: MS in EHS

Last edited:
As for me,

I also have a HUGE upward trend. My grades hit rock bottom then I went up tremendously finishing cum laude. Also the first time I took the MCAT's I got a 21Q but I retook it and scored a 27Q so that's definitely a trend. I was a Psychology major acutally.

As far as taking Biochem, I didn't get the chance but I DID take Gross Human Anatomy with full cadaveric dissection at Georgetown Summer Medical Institute with the med students this past summer and did well. Do you think that will help?

Thanks for all the info you guys have posted so far! Does anyone know how the committee looks at your MCAT score? Do they want to see that you have taken it at least once? Also does anyone know why they ask if you have taken a MCAT course?

I also have a HUGE upward trend. My grades hit rock bottom then I went up tremendously finishing cum laude. Also the first time I took the MCAT's I got a 21Q but I retook it and scored a 27Q so that's definitely a trend. I was a Psychology major acutally.

As far as taking Biochem, I didn't get the chance but I DID take Gross Human Anatomy with full cadaveric dissection at Georgetown Summer Medical Institute with the med students this past summer and did well. Do you think that will help?

You know what GTOWNMED?

I would be really surprised if you got into Georgetown GEMS ( and that's a good thing ). I think the SMP program would be more up your alley.

Specifically, because your gpa ( particularly the last two years) is medschool worthy due to your consistent last two years.. and a MCAT at 27 Q which is really high compared to GEMS average of 22. In fact, they are really looking for a 2.92 average gpa with a little higher or a little lower.. but not by much.

but a 3.5 of a gpa?

For instance, for the SMP program, you need a 3.0 and a 28 of an MCAT with the class of 2007 being 3.3 gpa. Thus, you know that GEMS being from the same school, is set aside to look for something lower than that. (Particularaly disadvantaged that have consistently paid for being disadvantaged rather than messing up a little)

I think because you are so qualified not just for the SMP program but for medschool considerations that they would not really consider you as a "experimental" study. ( it's a good thing)

You know what GTOWNMED?

I would be really surprised if you got into Georgetown GEMS ( and that's a good thing ). I think the SMP program would be more up your alley.

Specifically, because your gpa ( particularly the last two years) is medschool worthy due to your consistent last two years.. and a MCAT at 27 Q which is really high compared to GEMS average of 22. In fact, they are really looking for a 2.92 average gpa with a little higher or a little lower.. but not by much.

but a 3.5 of a gpa?

For instance, for the SMP program, you need a 3.0 and a 28 of an MCAT with the class of 2007 being 3.3 gpa. Thus, you know that GEMS being from the same school, is set aside to look for something lower than that. (Particularaly disadvantaged that have consistently paid for being disadvantaged rather than messing up a little)

I think because you are so qualified not just for the SMP program but for medschool considerations that they would not really consider you as a "experimental" study. ( it's a good thing)

Thank you for the great comment ragstoMD :) I definitely did improve greatly since the beginning of my undergraduate career which began in 1997. However, due to my very poor grades from the beginning, my cum GPA overall ended up being 2.81 with a science GPA of 3.11. I took a lot of time off school and had to restart and get myself transfered and did well. But my issues and mistakes of the past really came back to haunt me. This is why I was rejected from all the schools I applied to. When I messed up, I messed up big time to the point that I was dismissed from school. That is where the disadvantaged part comes in. I screwed up really bad due to those issues. I wasn't exactly sure if I would be a good candidate for GEMS but it was recommended to me by people I know in the SMP program.

Thank you for the great comment ragstoMD :) I definitely did improve greatly since the beginning of my undergraduate career which began in 1997. However, due to my very poor grades from the beginning, my cum GPA overall ended up being 2.81 with a science GPA of 3.11. I took a lot of time off school and had to restart and get myself transfered and did well. But my issues and mistakes of the past really came back to haunt me. This is why I was rejected from all the schools I applied to. When I messed up, I messed up big time to the point that I was dismissed from school. That is where the disadvantaged part comes in. I screwed up really bad due to those issues. I wasn't exactly sure if I would be a good candidate for GEMS but it was recommended to me by people I know in the SMP program.

Oo i see.. yeah i see why you think you are for GEMS now. You do need a program to show you can master the upper level sciences. I guess you are some GEMS/ SMP hybrid ( due to your higher than normal MCAT score) If it makesy ou feel any better, you'd be in a medschool right now in Texas : P

Oo i see.. yeah i see why you think you are for GEMS now. You do need a program to show you can master the upper level sciences. I guess you are some GEMS/ SMP hybrid ( due to your higher than normal MCAT score) If it makesy ou feel any better, you'd be in a medschool right now in Texas : P

Haha....damn!!! I should've applied in Texas as well. Never thought about it :D Thanks for the moral boost.

Gtownmed- I think you are still a good candidate for this program. I have heard that the program does take people with higher stats. The posted data is just averages.

This is kinds off-topic but do you mind sharing how you improved your MCAT score the second time? Feel free to pm me if you like. Thanks.

moto_za,

Do you mind sharing why you have 4 bars of green under your reputation?
how does one go about obtaining that?

The average MCAT matriculant in Texas is 27 -28. Thus, it's like automatic if you hit above that.
After the first year that you become a resident, you'll actually be going to some of the lowest costting schools in the nation.

Texas A&M *( my school) for instance is:30,000 $per year with everything including board ( tuition being 8,000, non res being 20,000 for the first year) You can apply for residency after that.

Georgetown on the other hand needs a total of about 72,000 per year (tuition being 40,000 alone) plust it's average MCAT is like 33 while it's SMP program is 28. Insane. Talk about a state being "disadvantaged" too..

I have more of an upward spike. All of my grades were steadily increasing over the years, but my senior year, I earned all A's.

Nlach, that's good news that they're reviewing our apps! Maybe we'll hear from them by the end of the week.

Another day of purgatory...

I hate the waiting game.
So, what do people know about financial aid?

Another day of purgatory...

I hate the waiting game.
So, what do people know about financial aid?

I recently filled out my FAFSA and found out that GEMS qualifies you for certain grants and of course direct federal loans. The grants are dependent on your EFC though.

Last edited:
I agree with all of you....the anticipation is by far the hardest part. To step out of our anxiety stage for a bit though, I thought I'd share this clip with you. It's a med school parody.....just promise you guys will be as weird/awesome as these students when you get into GEMS/med school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8G4s1yxi0

Enjoy! And breathe!!!! :)