GA-PCOM 2009- Where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
samdwi said:
the two of them managed to dig Otis Powell out their paper stacks..

HA! No, seriously, what happened to that dude? Just goes to show...you can never count on those dam-ned MD's ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Ha Ha. Choo!! That was classic Sam! I remember when I was in the anat. lab one night (like so late and so tired that the bodies were talking to me). So Choo was like the only one in there with me. We were doing like the the genital region or something and Choo comes up and goes "I tink dat is da Jugular vein" no joke. Now I don't claim to be the smartest in the class, but that was when I knew it was time for Choo to return to his PhD.

B-

samdwi said:
Bill called, he found our AIDS paper...And then BJ called, she managed to find Bill...and then the two of them managed to dig Otis Powell out their paper stacks..wait, wait, I'm getting an update...THEY FOUND CHOO!!!

Rejoice, Y'all...

Remember for that second lab practical how we all tagged structures on our cadavers. Well, one of our structures was a really good phrenic nerve. Choo comes up to me and actually asked me, "How you know phrenic?" I don't know how to even approach an answer to that question. I was like, "wha?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Drugtech said:
Remember for that second lab practical how we all tagged structures on our cadavers. Well, one of our structures was a really good phrenic nerve. Choo comes up to me and actually asked me, "How you know phrenic?" I don't know how to even approach an answer to that question. I was like, "wha?"
Choo: (enter lecture room via rear door)
PJG: Hey you, what time is it?
Choo: Huh? :confused:
PJG: Its 9:05, your 5 minutes late, grab a quiz and sit down.
Choo: stunned - I...I...I so sorry :eek:
Class: aaaawwwwww...
PJG: Its OK (laughs so hard he probably had a hernia)
Choo: ok? OK!! (scrambles to find seat while muttering something)

Everyone really likes Choo thereafter

halfway thru SPOM Choo decides to leave= $13 grand

BMW decides to go back to school after a moderately successful career= roughly 200 grand+ lost wages

Dr. G- "you all need to be prepared for this class! You need to have watched these anatomy videos! By the way what topic are we covering........?" and Alpha team ripping out an enire spine after massacre with a "stryker" saw in which Lt. Stryker is born......

Priceless!!

samdwi said:
Choo: (enter lecture room via rear door)
PJG: Hey you, what time is it?
Choo: Huh? :confused:
PJG: Its 9:05, your 5 minutes late, grab a quiz and sit down.
Choo: stunned - I...I...I so sorry :eek:
Class: aaaawwwwww...
PJG: Its OK (laughs so hard he probably had a hernia)
Choo: ok? OK!! (scrambles to find seat while muttering something)

Everyone really likes Choo thereafter

BMW19 said:
halfway thru SPOM Choo decides to leave= $13 grand

BMW decides to go back to school after a moderately successful career= roughly 200 grand+ lost wages

Dr. G- "you all need to be prepared for this class! You need to have watched these anatomy videos! By the way what topic are we covering........?" and Alpha team ripping out an enire spine after massacre with a "stryker" saw in which Lt. Stryker is born......

Priceless!!

Masks: $8

Scrubs: $16

DMC's Rat-tooth forceps which we "borrowed": Priceless!!

And we're still missing a blunt probe dammit.

samdwi said:
Masks: $8

Scrubs: $16

DMC's Rat-tooth forceps which we "borrowed": Priceless!!

And we're still missing a blunt probe dammit.

Oooh, let me try:

Meatball hamburger patties and room temperature cokes during orientation...$0

The cafeteria's stone soup...$12

The cafeteria's sand sandwiches...$18

Deciding you'd be better off eating lunch out of the vending machine...Priceless

300 pages worth of power points: $0

3 inch steel-reinforced binder: $8

Brain liquefaction necrosis oozing out my ear: priceless and super-gross.

By the end of this term I will have four 3-inch binders exploding at the seams, that's over a FOOT of notes!! X 83 students = 83 feet of handouts minimum.

Who knew 83 students and a copier in which we don't put paper in trays 3 and 4 would be responsible for destroying the Amazon rainforests??

Its 3 am the day before the exam...do you know where your Jenney notes are?

Well, I'm sitting in Medical Mycology (part II) right now, and I've just realized that this has to be my favorite class :rolleyes: Does anyone know if we are actually going to learn medical mycology? Just a thought.

So the professor wasn't THAT exciting. At least he was a Fun-Guy!! Oh my God I kill me!!!.......

BMW-

Drugtech said:
Well, I'm sitting in Medical Mycology (part II) right now, and I've just realized that this has to be my favorite class :rolleyes: Does anyone know if we are actually going to learn medical mycology? Just a thought.

Okay I'll play...

Gray's Anatomy Text Book $110
BRS Anatomy $35
High Yield Embryo $25

Knowing the kidney is bean shaped and mitral valve is in the heart to ace test 3 of SPOM, priceless...

Moore's Clinical Atlas of Anatomy $140
Netter's Atlas of Anatomy $60
Grant's Dissector $25

Needing to complete a residency in EN&T and a fellowship in Maxillo-Facial Reconstruction to pass test 2 of SPOM, not so priceless...

Winter coat, hat, scarf (to avoid hypothermia and frostbite in Lecture Hall B's arctic temperatures during SPOM) -- $75

Slip-resistant footwear (to avoid busting head open on slick, freshly varnished bricks on the way to the front door) -- $50

Protective gas-mask (to avoid inhaling "toxic fumes" and "mold" in the anatomy lab. Only suggested about half-way thru the term) -- $122

Just trying to survive the first 3 months of medical school....priceless

Members don't see this ad :)
BMW19 said:
So the professor wasn't THAT exciting. At least he was a Fun-Guy!! Oh my God I kill me!!!.......

BMW-

Let's not let BMW's latest "joke" get out.

By the way, we're calling our spring semi-formal the "Spiral Groove" get your tickets quick (look it up in Netter's, dammit)

The other names we suggested made Dean Evans bust-out laughing, but didn't pass-muster in terms of appropriateness. But we will use those names in the future, maybe for Drugtech's parties.

So I gotta say after reading SDN for like 2 years and never bothering to register and post, I am not motivated. Thank you both for allowing me to find this rare gem of a thread at 9:35 the night before Test 3.

Now the best Choo moment of all time has to be when Dr. McW was giving back our tests one day in the multi purpose room and said "Choo? Is Choo here? Like chewing right? I never heard a name Choo" and everyone laughed. It was awful and brilliant at the same time.

And that was the last time I ever saw him. (Choo, not McW)

Although I haven't seen McW in about 4 months.

I need a few things cleared up, just for my own knowledge:

1. What happens if you fail a rotation? :scared:

2. Has anyone checked if the wireless works outside the building? Maybe someone should go out there with a laptop to check....seriously...

If anyone knows someone who can answer these questions, do let me know...

1) If you fail a rotation you remediate with Dr. Mati....shi

2) I have not checked if the wireless works at the picnic table because the picnic table is somewhere in Lawrenceville.....

Price for a Spiral Groove ticket $39
Price for a beer at 9:59 P.M. $6
Raj and I having everyone get 2 beers at 12:59, stockpiling them, and losing half of em in an epic battle with the angry bartender- PRICELESS!

BMW-

samdwi said:
I need a few things cleared up, just for my own knowledge:

1. What happens if you fail a rotation? :scared:

2. Has anyone checked if the wireless works outside the building? Maybe someone should go out there with a laptop to check....seriously...

If anyone knows someone who can answer these questions, do let me know...

BMW19 said:
1) If you fail a rotation you remediate with Dr. Mati....shi

2) I have not checked if the wireless works at the picnic table because the picnic table is somewhere in Lawrenceville.....

Price for a Spiral Groove ticket $39
Price for a beer at 9:59 P.M. $6
Raj and I having everyone get 2 beers at 12:59, stockpiling them, and losing half of em in an epic battle with the angry bartender- PRICELESS!

BMW-

Man, what a waste, did they just pour it down the drain?? We should've smuggled them up to beano's room. Lesson learned - it shall never happen again.

Thanks guys, support from our classmates is always appreciated

Nicola1926 said:
I second that tpatel

Crack-heads unite!! Don't let the she-devils sway you...

I'm not on crack, just heavy doses of DMARDS.......DMARD-Heads unite! Oh I love delerium....

samdwi said:
Crack-heads unite!! Don't let the she-devils sway you...

CN-IV Down and in or Down and out????

SOMEBODY LOOK ME IN THE EYE (PUN SO INTENDED) AND GIVE ME THE TRUTH :eek:

Seriously, the American College of Opthalmology would like to know as well...

samdwi said:
CN-IV Down and in or Down and out????

SOMEBODY LOOK ME IN THE EYE (PUN SO INTENDED) AND GIVE ME THE TRUTH :eek:

Seriously, the American College of Opthalmology would like to know as well...
Let it be known that the functions of CN IV are INTORSION, DEPRESSION, and ABDUCTION of the eye.

Superior and inferior oblique muscles are the primary muscles of torsion. The superior oblique creates incyclotorsion, and the inferior oblique creates excyclotorsion. As the direction of pull for both muscles forms a 51° angle (relative to the visual axis in the primary position), secondary and tertiary actions occur.

The secondary action of the oblique muscles is vertical, and it is best demonstrated when the eye is adducted with the superior oblique acting as a depressor and the inferior oblique acting as an elevator of the eye. The tertiary action for each muscle is abduction.
Source:
"Extraocular Muscles, Actions". Emedicine.com. Retrieved May 25, 2006. <http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic14.htm>.

Down and out forever, baby! :laugh:

sketches said:
Let it be known that the functions of CN IV are INTORSION, DEPRESSION, and ABDUCTION of the eye.

Source:
"Extraocular Muscles, Actions". Emedicine.com. Retrieved May 25, 2006. <http://www.emedicine.com/oph/topic14.htm>.

Down and out forever, baby! :laugh:

I agree, however, people in U of Utah Med say other wise:

"Cranial Nerve 3 and 4
These cranial nerves give us a view of the midbrain. The 3rd nerve in particular can give important anatomical localization because it exits the midbrain just medial to the cerebral peduncle. The 3rd nerve controls eye adduction (medial rectus), elevation (superior rectus), depression (inferior rectus), elevation of the eyelid (levator palpebrae superioris), and parasympathetics for the pupil.
The 4th CN supplies the superior oblique muscle, which is important to looking down and in (towards the midline)."

Larsen, Paul MD., Neurologic Exam - Cranial Nerve Anatomy http://medlib.med.utah.edu/neurologicexam/html/cranialnerve_anatomy.html#04 Accessed 5/25/06 9:39 pm

So down and out except when in Utah...WTF?? Am I reading this wrong?? Do we TEST cn4 by having the patient gaze down and in??

Seems to be confusion on rotation of the eyeball (inwards) as opposed to its abduction (outwards)...ergo down in in vs out

I say we surgically remove the darned thing at birth from now on.

samdwi said:
Seems to be confusion on rotation of the eyeball (inwards) as opposed to its abduction (outwards)...ergo down in in vs out

I say we surgically remove the darned thing at birth from now on.
Utah Med is the mouthpiece of the devil. Don't let them sway you towards the darkside! They must be confusing the clinical test of CN IV with the action of the superior oblique muscle. By gazing medially, the axis of the eye is aligned with the muscle, thus better isolating the superior oblique for downward gaze.

Source:
Sketches. "Cranial Nerve IV Function: A Battle of the Hatfields and McCoys". SDN. May 25, 2006.

And yes, I agree that we should remove the blasted thing at birth from now on. However--that presents us with a problem: which way will the eye deviate without the function of CN IV and the superior oblique?!? :scared: :confused:

You should both just become dorky Opthalmalogists and you an argue all day long about CN's and diopters.....

On a lighter note which medical term is cooler:

Borborygmus(sp?)
or
Shmegma

Personally I think Shmegma is the coolest medical term around, especially if you say it in the Austin Powers/Dr. Evil voice "I will take over the world with hot, molten Shmegma!!"

Ok back to my friends Fos, Jun and C-MYC.......

sketches said:
Utah Med is the mouthpiece of the devil. Don't let them sway you towards the darkside! They must be confusing the clinical test of CN IV with the action of the superior oblique muscle. By gazing medially, the axis of the eye is aligned with the muscle, thus better isolating the superior oblique for downward gaze.

Source:
Sketches. "Cranial Nerve IV Function: A Battle of the Hatfields and McCoys". SDN. May 25, 2006.

And yes, I agree that we should remove the blasted thing at birth from now on. However--that presents us with a problem: which way will the eye deviate without the function of CN IV and the superior oblique?!? :scared: :confused:

sketches said:

Source:

Which way indeed!! Also, how would it affect the oculocephalogyric reflex?? I think I see a summer research project with the Ganttster on the horizon:

Dwivedi, S. et al., The effects of Superior Oblique muscle retraction on oculocephalogyric reflex vis-a-vis Cranial Nerve 4, Journal of WTF; Trays 3&4 Publishers; June 2006.

If that doesnt get me an optho residenency, nothing will.

Best PP I have seen yet:

Dr. E's PP on migraines, taken from Netter with the woman blowing chunks just to show that vomiting is involved with migraines. I think we should blow it up.

samdwi said:
Which way indeed!! Also, how would it affect the oculocephalogyric reflex?? I think I see a summer research project with the Ganttster on the horizon:

Dwivedi, S. et al., The effects of Superior Oblique muscle retraction on oculocephalogyric reflex vis-a-vis Cranial Nerve 4, Journal of WTF; Trays 3&4 Publishers; June 2006.

If that doesnt get me an optho residenency, nothing will.

BMW19 said:
Best PP I have seen yet:

Dr. E's PP on migraines, taken from Netter with the woman blowing chunks just to show that vomiting is involved with migraines. I think we should blow it up.

So, you're saying we should blow up what this woman is blowing out?

If that's the best powerpoint, then the picture of the girl holding her own hair back while in status vomitus is a close second. Maybe a tie for second is the one with the old lady sitting on her vanity stool naked as a jay bird, as if that somehow better defines polymyalgia rheumatica. *Sigh* back to the wubbulous world of neoplasia :sleep:

Wow I don't know what to do with myself now. I'm like a Duck who got separated from the pack while crossing the street. Oh wow Post MS-I delerium is fun.....No more of my friends Ras, Myc, Jun and Fos

Drugtech said:
So, you're saying we should blow up what this woman is blowing out?

If that's the best powerpoint, then the picture of the girl holding her own hair back while in status vomitus is a close second. Maybe a tie for second is the one with the old lady sitting on her vanity stool naked as a jay bird, as if that somehow better defines polymyalgia rheumatica. *Sigh* back to the wubbulous world of neoplasia :sleep:

BMW19 said:
Wow I don't know what to do with myself now. I'm like a Duck who got separated from the pack while crossing the street. Oh wow Post MS-I delerium is fun.....No more of my friends Ras, Myc, Jun and Fos
Don't forget chicken sarcoma! ;)

Yeah, I totally feel the same way. I got home today and almost took out my notebook out of habbit. How pathetic is that? :laugh: Anyway, congrats to the class of 2009. Let's not party too hard tonight... we'll need some surviving neurons to get us through next year!

Isn't the Jury still out on whether neurons can be regenerated now? I am with the progressive group that says YES they can be! Let's Drink.....

B-

sketches said:
Don't forget chicken sarcoma! ;)

Yeah, I totally feel the same way. I got home today and almost took out my notebook out of habbit. How pathetic is that? :laugh: Anyway, congrats to the class of 2009. Let's not party too hard tonight... we'll need some surviving neurons to get us through next year!

BMW19 said:
Isn't the Jury still out on whether neurons can be regenerated now? I am with the progressive group that says YES they can be! Let's Drink.....

B-

Any body have any ideas on what to do with a blow-up doll I like to call Eduardo?? Besides the obvious...

Give it back to Alpha team since you stole it from us!!

samdwi said:
Any body have any ideas on what to do with a blow-up doll I like to call Eduardo?? Besides the obvious...

Hellooooo!!!!! Where Is Everybody??????????

Not wasting time on SDN... you loozer.. :laugh: Oh wait, what am I doing?

ttpatel said:
oh sam ...we need to find you a hobby

If these hobbies involve getting up from my couch, i'll pass.

you guys should be studying for boards!! Get that 1st aid cracking!

B-

Anyone reading Board Review stuff yet??

samdwi said:
Anyone reading Board Review stuff yet??

Just finished First Aid and now moving on to reading all BRS, High Yield and Roadmaps. After that its on to OMM and a little light reading of Harrison's (big daddy). Then i'll be ready to start year 2.

Ha Ha. I make myself laugh sometimes......

BMW19 said:
Just finished First Aid and now moving on to reading all BRS, High Yield and Roadmaps. After that its on to OMM and a little light reading of Harrison's (big daddy). Then i'll be ready to start year 2.

Ha Ha. I make myself laugh sometimes......
Wow, are you really that far behind? I finished reading Harrison’s over two weeks ago and am now reading every issue of JAMA in chronological order. :laugh:

sketches said:
...and am now reading every issue of JAMA...

JAMA? Why not the JAOA? Those ridiculous MDs couldn't possibly have anything valuable to contribute to the field of medicine. Shame on you, Sketches!

To Hell with Boards...

Kudos to the PLAY club. I must have saved about $100 to $120 at Johnny Carino's so far using their PLAY card.

I am using that cash to buy a gun. I have been convinced by a certain unnamed classmate that the Russians and Chinese are going to invade soon...and then I saw Patrick Swayze in "Red Dawn", so I also bought cans of spray-paint and vegetarian baked-beans to survive the onslaught...

So what are YOU doing with your Carino's savings???

Saving up for Law School!!

samdwi said:
To Hell with Boards...

Kudos to the PLAY club. I must have saved about $100 to $120 at Johnny Carino's so far using their PLAY card.

I am using that cash to buy a gun. I have been convinced by a certain unnamed classmate that the Russians and Chinese are going to invade soon...and then I saw Patrick Swayze in "Red Dawn", so I also bought cans of spray-paint and vegetarian baked-beans to survive the onslaught...

So what are YOU doing with your Carino's savings???