GA-PCOM 2009- Where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, could someone answer a question for me please?

I am interviewing in two days, and I've been kind of worried about residency.

Seeing how PCOM-Ga hasn't graduated a class yet, what is the word on residency?

Will PCOM-Ga match as well as PCOM in Philadelphia?

If this is a stupid question, just tell me. But I am seriously wondering...

It is impossible to know at this point, but I can't think of a good reason why we will have more trouble obtaining residencies than students at any other school. Are you interested in an ultra-competitive specialty?

Good luck with your interview. I have loved my time at GA-PCOM thus far. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Would someone mind telling me more about the curriculum and rotation sites? I will be submitting the secondary soon but I would like to learn more about the school. The website focuses mainly on the PA campus. Thanks!

It is impossible to know at this point, but I can't think of a good reason why we will have more trouble obtaining residencies than students at any other school. Are you interested in an ultra-competitive specialty?

Good luck with your interview. I have loved my time at GA-PCOM thus far. :thumbup:

Thanks for the response...

I don't know what I want to do yet, but it just makes me a little nervous to not be able to look at a match list when I interview tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you did well on your interview. I would worry less about residency right now and more about med school. They call that putting the cart before the horse. If you have decent GPA, board scores, good letters of rec. and high pass/honors on your rotations you should be just as competitive as the philly brethren. That is why you should focus on being the best MED STUDENT you can first and residency second.

BMW-

Thanks for the response...

I don't know what I want to do yet, but it just makes me a little nervous to not be able to look at a match list when I interview tomorrow.

Its time again for Sam's poetry minute - please note this was a product of a bored brain doing pediatrics...I'm not that morose anymore.

So here we are,
my fellow GA-PCOMers,
Rotating through peds and trauma
and malodorous vaginers.

“80 hours max” they say,
“and no weekend call”
They’re lying through their teeth,
From exhaustion I’m going to fall.

But I got even with them:
I stole hospital food;
The jello, toast and twinkies –.
Put my colon in a bad mood.

I ran to the facilities
And encountered a horrible whiff;
Never use the patient’s bathroom,
You could end up with C.diff!!

If you indeed get that disease,
Self-treat with metronidazole,
Just be quick,
Or say goodbye to your dingus.

By stealing hospital scrubs
I saved some cash;
I tried hospital gowns,
To air out my new MRSA rash.

I looked like a clown,
I caused a sensation,
When my bum hung out the gown,
Like a breech presentation.

I was climbing the stairs,
From the 1st to 7th floor;
When I tumbled down the steps,
And smashed into a steel door.

I ruptured my spleen,
I might need a lap chole;
Hey!?, What’s that I feel?
Oh Sh** it’s a Foley!!

I yell to the attending:
Get it out, GET IT OUT!!;
My cries on deaf ears;
Urine dribbles down the spout.

So here we are, fellow GAPCOMers,
I got MRSA and a foley within 24 hours;
It’s been quite a trip,
With my vanc drip;
I want to go home
But got Red-Man syndrome.

Why am I in med school?
‘cuz I’m a complete tool.
I’m paying 36 grand!!
To disimpact with my hand.
I should’ve been a chiropractor,
Instead of holding this retractor.
I should’ve opened a motel,
Then have to go through this hell.

And so fellow GAPCOMers,
Do not despair!!
This is rotation 4 of 24,
And I’ve only got one gray hair!!

Too much time on the psych ward Sam? But at least you keep my thread going and you give a shout out to my past...

Its time again for Sam's poetry minute - please note this was a product of a bored brain doing pediatrics...I'm not that morose anymore.

So here we are,
my fellow GA-PCOMers,
Rotating through peds and trauma
and malodorous vaginers.

“80 hours max” they say,
“and no weekend call”
They’re lying through their teeth,
From exhaustion I’m going to fall.

But I got even with them:
I stole hospital food;
The jello, toast and twinkies –.
Put my colon in a bad mood.

I ran to the facilities
And encountered a horrible whiff;
Never use the patient’s bathroom,
You could end up with C.diff!!

If you indeed get that disease,
Self-treat with metronidazole,
Just be quick,
Or say goodbye to your dingus.

By stealing hospital scrubs
I saved some cash;
I tried hospital gowns,
To air out my new MRSA rash.

I looked like a clown,
I caused a sensation,
When my bum hung out the gown,
Like a breech presentation.

I was climbing the stairs,
From the 1st to 7th floor;
When I tumbled down the steps,
And smashed into a steel door.

I ruptured my spleen,
I might need a lap chole;
Hey!?, What’s that I feel?
Oh Sh** it’s a Foley!!

I yell to the attending:
Get it out, GET IT OUT!!;
My cries on deaf ears;
Urine dribbles down the spout.

So here we are, fellow GAPCOMers,
I got MRSA and a foley within 24 hours;
It’s been quite a trip,
With my vanc drip;
I want to go home
But got Red-Man syndrome.

Why am I in med school?
‘cuz I’m a complete tool.
I’m paying 36 grand!!
To disimpact with my hand.
I should’ve been a chiropractor,
Instead of holding this retractor.
I should’ve opened a motel,
Then have to go through this hell.

And so fellow GAPCOMers,
Do not despair!!
This is rotation 4 of 24,
And I’ve only got one gray hair!!

Sam, I give your poem an APGAR score of 9@1 10@5. Excellent work. When can we expect the next installment?

Hey all, I was wondering what you guys thought regarding living situations. I've heard that I should ask the older crew. I would love an apartment or condo that was really close to campus, possibly allowed dogs, was safe,and that maybe would have some other pcom students living around....

any ideas, atleast for relatively close living areas so that I can get a hold of some names? :D

Question for some of you who have been in GA for a while...

Since I am moving to the Southeast, I understand that I will need to pick a favorite NASCAR driver. Who should this be? I know I am supposed to hate Jeff Gordon (although I'm not sure why), and people are mixed on Tony Stewart. Other than that, I couldn't tell you the first thing about NASCAR.

Since I am moving to the Southeast, I understand that I will need to pick a favorite NASCAR driver. Who should this be? I know I am supposed to hate Jeff Gordon (although I'm not sure why), and people are mixed on Tony Stewart. Other than that, I couldn't tell you the first thing about NASCAR.

I have lived in GA my entire life and the closest Ive come to watching NASCAR was the movie Talladega nights.

As for NASCAR, just memorize some car words like "restrictor plate", "drafting" and "roll-cage" and throw them into conversation, you'll be fine.

You may want to install a gun-rack on your car though, even if its a volvo or saab or something, to make it more Southern. You see, here in the South, we're still afraid the soviets are going to invade, and kinda hope they do, so we can use our gun-racks.

Personlly I think Days of Thunder is all you need to watch to be the master of the nascar. Plus that is back when Tom Cruise was actually cool and not a whacko.

As for NASCAR, just memorize some car words like "restrictor plate", "drafting" and "roll-cage" and throw them into conversation, you'll be fine.

You may want to install a gun-rack on your car though, even if its a volvo or saab or something, to make it more Southern. You see, here in the South, we're still afraid the soviets are going to invade, and kinda hope they do, so we can use our gun-racks.

I'm from Texas, so I've already got that covered. I'm just a little behind on the NASCAR. And I think pro wrestling too.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are absolutely crazy...you have no idea how hard we have laughed reading your posts about our beloved GAPCOM. You make us proud to be part of the greatest class of 2009 that GAPCOM has ever had.

Thanks Wadesquared......we are here simply for entertainment purposes, any educational questions should be directed to other GA-PCOM threads...

Just kidding....Sam will be happy to field all "real Qs". I will take all stupid, silly, funny and downright frustrating Q's.

You guys are absolutely crazy...you have no idea how hard we have laughed reading your posts about our beloved GAPCOM. You make us proud to be part of the greatest class of 2009 that GAPCOM has ever had.

since there is no real info on residency matching yet, what other strong points does this school have besides location and the fact that it mirrors the philly PCOM curriculum? how are the facilities and such?

thanks!

since there is no real info on residency matching yet, what other strong points does this school have besides location and the fact that it mirrors the philly PCOM curriculum? how are the facilities and such?

thanks!

Our facilities are actually our strongest point. The anatomy lab rivals most in the Southeast if not the whole east! Flat screens and cameras so no view is an obstructed one. Everything is online including every lecture being taped and put on the network or DVD to burn to you laptop. Nice gym with brand new equipment (oh well maybe 3 years old now!). Most people are very impressed when they come to visit.

Sam, I give your poem an APGAR score of 9@1 10@5. Excellent work. When can we expect the next installment?

Why, thank you sir. Next installment is due soon after Advanced Clinical Skills: it should provide good inspiration...

To the rest of my class: has ANYBODY seen a hydatidiform mole yet (Corey doesn't count)?? partial or complete...i dont care...i just wanna see one.

For BMW, Samdwi, or others:
Since you all are on the down side of your third year, could you give us an idea (i.e. compare and contrast!) the difficulty, level of interest, etc. of first year vs. second year vs. third year. Also, what hospitals are you doing your third year rotations, any lodging benefits provided, and what frequency and how are you tested (in third year).

Lastly, what percentage of your class passed the board exam? Answers to all of these Qs will probably be of interest to many.

Thanks

QUOTE=TPBC;6176214]For BMW, Samdwi, or others:
Since you all are on the down side of your third year, could you give us an idea (i.e. compare and contrast!) the difficulty, level of interest, etc. of first year vs. second year vs. third year. Also, what hospitals are you doing your third year rotations, any lodging benefits provided, and what frequency and how are you tested (in third year).

Lastly, what percentage of your class passed the board exam? Answers to all of these Qs will probably be of interest to many.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It is less difficult in terms of studying for the simple fact that you don't have 2 or 3 tests at a time to study for. You do have a test at the end of your core months, but not like the stress of school or OMM! It is stressful in other ways though....for instance on surgery you will probably be getting to the hospital between 5:30 and 6 AM (and we used to complain about 8:00 classes!). You will stay until 5 or 6 PM. Then you might be on call for 24 hours (not really sleeping on trauma service) then go home sleep and come back and do it again the next day- hence stressful

But if you are on say Family med then you will probably be putting in more of a 9-5 day with no weekends or call. So the stress varies based on the month. Where as in first and second year you are pretty much stressed all the time up until boards are over second year.

There are too many hospitals to name but the major ones in the ATL area are:
Atlanta medical center, Gwinnett medical, Dekalb medical and many other smaller hospitals in and around the area. Usually there is no housing unless the hospital is about 1.5 hours away from the school i.e. Warner Robbins, Columbus with a few exceptions.

You are tested at the end of every core rotation. But you are tested everyday in a way by residents, attendings, nurses and other students. These are new and different stressors that you have to adjust to.

Don't know the exact #s but I believe we were at least at the national average. Somone else might want to chime in on that one..

Hope that helps..come back and see us again! Sam is here 24/7 to answer questions and he does take tips and donations. Are you coming to our school?

BMW-

bump...almost lost the thread to the nether regions of SDN.

So what should we talk about?

So what should we talk about?

Discussion option for our thread:

1. Parallelogram heads....I saw a 10-month old with one the other day....funniest thing I ever saw on OMM so far...

2. Dingleberries - secondary to BM status-post colonic stimulation on hygenically challenged patients...saw those too, right after I had a converstaion with a classmate about them...another thing that made me crack-up.

3. Choo - always a good choice.

4. Why do we park in a driveway but drive on a parkway....

5. Why does Sam not want to see me in FL....:(

6. Although I may not want to see him now since he does colonic stimulation and then checks for dingleberries on his FM/OMM rotation!

Discussion option for our thread:

1. Parallelogram heads....I saw a 10-month old with one the other day....funniest thing I ever saw on OMM so far...

2. Dingleberries - secondary to BM status-post colonic stimulation on hygenically challenged patients...saw those too, right after I had a converstaion with a classmate about them...another thing that made me crack-up.

3. Choo - always a good choice.

Ive got a good topic to start up:

Who knows what they want to be?

At this point, I would settle for: OMS III!!!!! Other than that, I am still leaning strongly toward Child Psych. I just want to be with people my own age. ;)

are we done yet?

quick question from a new GA-PCOM student...do you think the Board Review Series subject books would help much while studying for 1st 2 years, not just for boards but also for classes? Everyone seems to love them, and I'm thinking about picking up a few and reading a bit over what's left of summer since I'm BORED out of my mind (but loving it ;))

thanks

quick question from a new GA-PCOM student...do you think the Board Review Series subject books would help much while studying for 1st 2 years, not just for boards but also for classes? Everyone seems to love them, and I'm thinking about picking up a few and reading a bit over what's left of summer since I'm BORED out of my mind (but loving it ;))

thanks

I would not buy any board review books during first term. You will mostly be studying anatomy, which is not a big topic on Step 1. In fact, most students do not review anatomy for boards (I know I didn't).

If you refuse to just enjoy your time off and have to study something, read a medical terminology book instead. Our class had to complete "Medical Terminology: A short course" by Chabner and turn in the printout of our test results at the end of orientation. It was not for a grade... they just wanted to see that we completed it.

It would be a good idea to pick up some anatomy flash cards before classes start. I used the Netter flash cards, but they have a Gray's Anatomy for Students version out now too. There is also a new Netter's Anatomy program out now for the iPhone/iPod Touch that looks very good. Get that instead if you have an iPhone.

Oh, and don't buy a copy of Netter's Atlas. You will get a free copy when you join SOMA.

I wanted to get some insight from some of you who have been through it already:

So I got my "detailed student schedule", which shows me taking 17 hours this trimester. That's not so bad. What am I missing here? That's equivalent to what, like 25 semester-hours? Tough for sure, but with nothing else to do, that seems pretty manageable, as long as I don't get behind.

And the "detailed" student schedule is anything but detailed. It has me for four classes, one of which is 13 hours. I'm sure that class is like 5 classes. Structural principles of osteopathic medicine...

- OMM
- Anatomy
- Embryology
- ???????

what else do I have to look forward to in "structural principles of osteopathic medicine?

probably also has histology, various labs, medicine and society and PCS....but you've figured that out by now.

Hey class of 2009:

Things I just realised:

1. Were gonna have to start paying back loans soon.
2. I am upto my eyeballs in debt.
3. I can't scramble into Radiology.
4. The smaller the attending..the more they pimp.
5. If the surgeon yawns...make sure there isnt a desflurane leak.
6. If the surgeon giggles...check the N2O.
7. If he asks you out...make sure he isnt siphoning propofol.
8. Percocet is called frosted-mini-wheats on the street.
9. dont try to put an IV in someone's AV fistula.
10. its easier to intubate in The South...'cuz thurr ain't no teeths.
11. I'm glad I cant get pregnant.
12. I'm bored right now.
13. patients wear wigs to surgery, and expect you to cover it with a bouffant just like anyone else.

can we keep this thread alive until we graduate/scramble/match?

can we keep this thread alive until we graduate/scramble/match?

No.

Sam, we're 4th years now. We're all jaded and bitter. The days of idealistically saving the world, one CV4 at a time, are gone.

Thanks to my fantastically strong OMM trained hands, I can easily scratch off this stack of lottery tickets...hey look, I won another ticket....

Yes we have to keep it ALIVE until May 09 and I would appreciate if I could be the last post since its my baby....

If there was a Michael Phelps of OMM who would it be?

Yes to Super TriathleteDO you should should pick up a medical term book since A) Sketches is the smartest guy in our class and he says to and B) as Kirk can attest to we had a girl with 6 hours of Singultus present to us on our step II boards.....

Why is my Financial aid check dwindling as we speak.....every time it is hundreds less....who is skimming off the top?

No.

Sam, we're 4th years now. We're all jaded and bitter. The days of idealistically saving the world, one CV4 at a time, are gone.

Thanks to my fantastically strong OMM trained hands, I can easily scratch off this stack of lottery tickets...hey look, I won another ticket....

Is WalMart greeter something we can try to match into?

Yes. I don't mean to brag, but I already pre-matched at the Super Target by my house. Apps are up this year, but I'm sure you will find a spot somewhere. Best of luck :xf:

just wanted to know if current third of fourth year students feel they are received proper training and preparation for comlex exams?

just wanted to know if current third of fourth year students feel they are received proper training and preparation for comlex exams?

I agree. Since you all are the only fourth years I know of that post on here, can you give us some perspective of how Step II (CS and CK) was compared to Step I to include how much time it took to prepare for each, etc. Do most students pass on the first attempt? Also, any thoughts on how fourth year rotations are compared to third year?
Thanks!!!

I agree. Since you all are the only fourth years I know of that post on here, can you give us some perspective of how Step II (CS and CK) was compared to Step I to include how much time it took to prepare for each, etc. Do most students pass on the first attempt? Also, any thoughts on how fourth year rotations are compared to third year?
Thanks!!!

I found Step 2 to be a bit easier and more clinical than Step 1. The USMLE question structures were different than the COMLEX, though they cover the same material for the most part. In all honesty, your own independent studying is the most important factor in your board performance. I did the standard USMLE World + Crush Step 2 + Step 2 Secrets that most students do. No need to bore you with the details... just know that if you put the time in you will do very well at any school you attend. Yes, the vast majority at GA-PCOM pass on first attempt (I don't have a number on that).

In terms of fourth year, many of your rotations are electives. I spent my electives at UNC, Wake Forest, MCG, and MUSC. I have had no limitation on where I have been able to do my electives. Hope that helps...

My Comlex numbers blow, so I'm just hoping to scramble into Dollar Tree
or PayLess Shoes.

TJMaxx just emailed me via ERAS and said they'd not be extending me an interview, but wished me luck in all my endeavors.
Classy...

My Comlex numbers blow, so I'm just hoping to scramble into Dollar Tree
or PayLess Shoes.

TJMaxx just emailed me via ERAS and said they'd not be extending me an interview, but wished me luck in all my endeavors.
Classy...

Yo Kirk...wanna couples match at the The Gap? TJMAxx blew me off too, they had many qualified applicants and only limited interview spots, should've taken USMLE...d'oh. I have heard that Dr. Gantt is starting a primate dental fellowship in St. Kitts....its not through ERAS....i think u put ur application in a coke bottle and throw it in the ocean or something...

Thanks!!!

Most students do pass on their first try. Step 2 i thought was easier than Step 1, but a lot depends on the effort you have put in. I studied about 6-7 weeks before my Step 2 and felt sufficiently competent. It seems doing practice questions is one of the best ways to prepare. using USMLE world, Kaplan Q-bank and/or COMBANK. also used USMLE First Aid, Crush Step 2 and USMLE Secrets.

Overall, it takes less time to study for Step 2 than Step 1.

The COMLEX PE (physical examaniation) required minimal studying - I literally only read on my flight to the testing center for a couple hours. I dont know if i have passed that portion yet...I just took it last week.

Yo Kirk...wanna couples match at the The Gap? TJMAxx blew me off too, they had many qualified applicants and only limited interview spots, should've taken USMLE...d'oh. I have heard that Dr. Gantt is starting a primate dental fellowship in St. Kitts....its not through ERAS....i think u put ur application in a coke bottle and throw it in the ocean or something...

I'm in. In the bottle goes my application AND my LOR from Dr. Giglio. Although I didn't waive my right to view it. And I'm pretty sure he forgot my name, since he keeps glowingly complimenting the clinical competency of "that smiley brown guy."

Hey, anybody got a run down of how our Military bretheren faired?

I dunno if it's a polite thing to post a list or anything, I suppose they'd share if they wanted to...

Y'all tell me. If you know and think it's cool to list, that'd be great. If you know who's going where I'd love to know!

Plus, a good majority of the DO world is waiting for our results as the litmus test of "is this thing gonna sink or swim." Inquiring minds wanna know!

As far as I'm doing - one interview left to go. Beginning to wonder if my DO degree will look good on my dental school application...

I have some results but it's all hearsay and I'm guessing inappropriate to share just yet.

The basic stats of how our school did are here:
www.natmatch.com/aoairp

click on "results" and then in the far right top column "by school"

We still have 30 or so awaiting the allo match.

Hey guys. I have loved reading over your posts over the last year. I will be attending PCOM-Ga in the fall and cannot wait! Keep us informed with the allo match this week. I think I can speak for everyone when I say us future PCOMers are all interested to see where the first class ends up. Rumor has it yall are all pretty stellar. Best of luck

anyone hear results from the allo match?