GA-PCOM 2009- Where are you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
brent311 said:
about the insurance, Im getting bc/bs of georgia right now separate from the school for $56/mo. the copays and deductibles are a little higher but compared to $2000 a year I would much rather do the insurance separate from the school.

What plan are you using? I am also trying to find a cheaper insurance because the schools price is outrageous

Members don't see this ad.

NIJA said:
What plan are you using? I am also trying to find a cheaper insurance because the schools price is outrageous

Try Fortis Insurance Company - I recall $69 a month as one of the plans.

Also, for private loans - any suggestions. I am going to go with NELNET unless someone knows of a too-good-to-be-true offer from another lender.

Left arm got jabbed for tetanus shots, right arm got jabbed for hepatitis shot, tomorrow they'll suck juices out of me for 3 titers, at $66 each....med-school better be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone going to fill out the whole medical questionaire again. If I have to do that again it is going to cost me for another physical and more titers. I was hoping that I could just get the Varicella Titer again.

As for me and myself I will wear business casual cause all my scrubs make me look like a scrub.

I am really PUMPED for school.

Hey guys,

Some concerns people seem to be having.....

1) I was told by the bursar's office that we will receive an invoice every semester regardless of loans ( I guess this is if they discover a dirty past or something we are still liable) I hope it is just a formality!

2) If we take the schools health insurance will it come out of our loans? If so then I don't care if it is expensive as long as I don't have another monthly expense. Just my opinion

3) My arm hurts too (both actually!) I was like a pin cushion yesterday. My doc couldn't believe they wanted every lab under the sun! I guess it is for our own safety

4) In 20 days we will be MED STUDENTS! Crazy

BMW-

BMW19 said:
testing reply....

nehave said:
Hey guys,

Did anyone receive an invoice for the tuition payment? I did and I am not sure why they didn't account for the loan I am also getting. I shouldn't be getting a bill b/c I borrowed the full amount required. Just wondering if anyone else got this!.

Neha

Hey Neha,

I got the statement to and called the office yesterday and she said if you know you got the stafford loan in the full amount to cover your tuition you dont have to worry about anything. she said the loan is pending and they will handle it, i guess the statement is for our records. does that help?

jayna

KYmedic said:
Is anyone going to fill out the whole medical questionaire again. If I have to do that again it is going to cost me for another physical and more titers. I was hoping that I could just get the Varicella Titer again.

As for me and myself I will wear business casual cause all my scrubs make me look like a scrub.

I am really PUMPED for school.

I am not filling it out again, i just requested it by my doctors office and will turn in those lab results separately, besides i have been having major issues trying to get my titers done, all i have to say is when we are doctors i think we had better be sure to have some competent office staff!

jspatel said:
Hey Neha,

I got the statement to and called the office yesterday and she said if you know you got the stafford loan in the full amount to cover your tuition you dont have to worry about anything. she said the loan is pending and they will handle it, i guess the statement is for our records. does that help?

jayna

Hey Jayna,

Thanks! I ended up calling them yesterday as well. They told me the same thing. SO i guess i have nothing to worry about. Thanks for your help.

Neha

Another thing which I'm going to ask PCOM as well as my private lender:

Lets say I borrow 10k in private loans for the first year.
Is this 10k disbursed all at once through our bursar, or is it staggered like the federal loans i.e. 1/3 every semester (fall, winter spring). I wonder because if I get 10k all at once, more interest would accrue compared to a staggered disbursement of 3.3k every semester. Hmmm...

Hello,

Private loans are disbursed in the same manner as federal loans. Therefore, if you borrow 12K for the year you will receive 4K each disbursement date. I went through Citibank, and they made arrangements with the school to ensure that I receive both federal and private monies on the same disbursement dates(PCOM pre-arranged disbursement dates). These dates were given to us at the financial aid meeting. Hope this helps:)

Nicola1926 said:
Hello,

Private loans are disbursed in the same manner as federal loans. Therefore, if you borrow 12K for the year you will receive 4K each disbursement date. I went through Citibank, and they made arrangements with the school to ensure that I receive both federal and private monies on the same disbursement dates(PCOM pre-arranged disbursement dates). These dates were given to us at the financial aid meeting. Hope this helps:)

Thanks.

Who among us are going to, or already do, live in Sterling Riverside Apts? I'm trying to get a head-count. According to the girls in the leasing office, there are plenty - so where y'all at?

I'll be moving in on August 6th with a roommate (another GA-PCOM student)

Hey BMW,

I thought the same thing as you as well. That can not possibly be our schedule. It's nowhere close to the schedule that was posted earlier (PCOM's schedule from last year). In that, we are supposed to be taking Anatomy, MicroAnatomy (I guess a Physiology or Cell Bio class) and a OMM class until November. This looks like all we are doing is OMM stuff. I guess we'll figure it out during orientation. Maybe it's just a misprint or maybe the first couple of weeks we concentrate on D.O. stuff solely.

As regards to the health insurance, I think it comes out of the Stafford (tuition) portion (non private) of loans. However, if you want a $2000 refund, you need to show proof of insurance. My insurance through my wife costs $600 bucks a year, so I am definitely want a refund. Every little amount counts for those of us taking out huge amounts in private and public loans.

Raj

Samdwi, I'm living in Sterling Riverside as well. Moved my stuff in on the 15th of last month but still living in Macon until Friday. Making the official move then. See you guys at orientation or before if you guys want to meet up somewhere locally. That Taco Mac is stumbling distance from SR.

BMW19 said:
Hey guys,

Some concerns people seem to be having.....

1) I was told by the bursar's office that we will receive an invoice every semester regardless of loans ( I guess this is if they discover a dirty past or something we are still liable) I hope it is just a formality!

2) If we take the schools health insurance will it come out of our loans? If so then I don't care if it is expensive as long as I don't have another monthly expense. Just my opinion

3) My arm hurts too (both actually!) I was like a pin cushion yesterday. My doc couldn't believe they wanted every lab under the sun! I guess it is for our own safety

4) In 20 days we will be MED STUDENTS! Crazy

BMW-

Hey Raj,

Does that mean that if we take the school's insurance we won't even get back the refund for our initial deposit? That would not be cool. I got the impression at the FA meeting that we would get back the $2000 we put down no matter what.

After speaking with some PCOM Philly students, it seems that all the anatomies etc. will be combined into the first class that is listed on the tentative schedule. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Raj, you must be pretty psyched about the braves game they are so nicely taking us to.

BMW-

rs_braves said:
Hey BMW,

I thought the same thing as you as well. That can not possibly be our schedule. It's nowhere close to the schedule that was posted earlier (PCOM's schedule from last year). In that, we are supposed to be taking Anatomy, MicroAnatomy (I guess a Physiology or Cell Bio class) and a OMM class until November. This looks like all we are doing is OMM stuff. I guess we'll figure it out during orientation. Maybe it's just a misprint or maybe the first couple of weeks we concentrate on D.O. stuff solely.

As regards to the health insurance, I think it comes out of the Stafford (tuition) portion (non private) of loans. However, if you want a $2000 refund, you need to show proof of insurance. My insurance through my wife costs $600 bucks a year, so I am definitely want a refund. Every little amount counts for those of us taking out huge amounts in private and public loans.

Raj

Samdwi, I'm living in Sterling Riverside as well. Moved my stuff in on the 15th of last month but still living in Macon until Friday. Making the official move then. See you guys at orientation or before if you guys want to meet up somewhere locally. That Taco Mac is stumbling distance from SR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a comment related to insurance, Kaiser Permanente Personal Plans can be a pretty good deal. The copays however are a little higher than the blue cross one offered through school(30 vs 20). For me( 22 yr old male) the plans ranged from like 50 - 98 a month, depending on deductible. With Blue cross i guess you could go anywhere, with Kaiser you would have to go to one of their facilities, nearest one in duluth though, not too far.

Also,I will be living with samdwi in sterling riverside, and I look forward to meeting all of you.

Hey Brian,

I think you still get the 2250 deposit back. I think if you show proof of insurance you get an additional 2000 back. That was my understanding of it. I was told to bring proof of insurance to orientation.

And yes, I am pretty psyched about the braves game. I plan to go that night for sure. I was planning on going the next night but I just checked the schedule and Saturday and Sunday are day games. I am not dealing with that heat. And Brian, if you go to the games, you aren't allowed to root against the braves. PCOM-Georgia new rule.

BMW19 said:
Hey Raj,

Does that mean that if we take the school's insurance we won't even get back the refund for our initial deposit? That would not be cool. I got the impression at the FA meeting that we would get back the $2000 we put down no matter what.

After speaking with some PCOM Philly students, it seems that all the anatomies etc. will be combined into the first class that is listed on the tentative schedule. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Raj, you must be pretty psyched about the braves game they are so nicely taking us to.

BMW-

Aisha just sent out the notification for orientation and a booklist. Does anyone know if all the books need to be purchased now or if some can/should wait for later in the year?

Raj,

That is good to know about the deposit. Anyone remember what time Dr. Evans said classes would run to approx.? Was it 4:30 or did he not say? I am trying to remember.

The only time I would root against the Braves is when they play the Yanks and that is only once in a Deep blue moon. So don't sweat it!

BMW-

rs_braves said:
Hey Brian,

I think you still get the 2250 deposit back. I think if you show proof of insurance you get an additional 2000 back. That was my understanding of it. I was told to bring proof of insurance to orientation.

And yes, I am pretty psyched about the braves game. I plan to go that night for sure. I was planning on going the next night but I just checked the schedule and Saturday and Sunday are day games. I am not dealing with that heat. And Brian, if you go to the games, you aren't allowed to root against the braves. PCOM-Georgia new rule.

Does anybody know if the emails received in the MIME PMM are important at all? They seem to be junk mail and I haven't come across any that are pertinent. I understand that the PCOM email has important messages but I am kind of confused about the Personal Message Manager. I was wondering whether there was someway to disable it if it is unnecessary.

Secondly, are we using the Blackboard or Banner or both? I can't seem to log on the Blackboard and have not got around to creating the first time account for the Banner. Has anybody else come across these issues?

Any help would be appreciated.

Elmer said:
Aisha just sent out the notification for orientation and a booklist. Does anyone know if all the books need to be purchased now or if some can/should wait for later in the year?

HOLY CRAP!

the total for just the "required" books comes to $1100. And here I was trying to save a few measly dollars by replacing regular light bulbs with fluorescent ones.

Hey, I'm the bum who just got in to PCOM-Ga last week. With orientation coming up soon, I need a place to live! Know of anybody looking for roommates? Are most people going to be at Sterling Riverside? I know a lot of females don't want a male roommate, but I'd be up for it. I'm a very clean and responsible person.

Oh let me intro myself: I just graduated from the Univ. of TN with a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering. I grew up in Kingsport, TN, went to school in Knoxville, and did my co-op in Cincinnati, OH at a Johnson & Johnson company. I'm interested in all fields of medicine, but am leaning towards ortho surgery with a focus in sports injuries. I'm looking forward to living in the ATL and going to PCOM. Hopefully I'll be moving down soon, so hit me up if you guys want to get together before Tuesday!

Thanks,
J

Did anyone else look at the email that talks about the required reading for school. How are we supposed to complete the online med term course before the 15th? Am I just missing what website to use and stuff?

Jayna

Hey guys,

Before we freak out about everything, let's just wait until next Wed. and see what the deal is. I'm sure everything will be explained to us ( I hope). I am just as anxious as everyone, but it seems like we are spinning our wheels asking each other. One more week!

BMW-

jspatel said:
Did anyone else look at the email that talks about the required reading for school. How are we supposed to complete the online med term course before the 15th? Am I just missing what website to use and stuff?

Jayna

jspatel said:

Jayna

The online course comes with the medical terminology book and they did shorten the list of titles for first semester in the email. However, there is no description of what the online course is or how long it takes that I can find. Anyone know if these books are available locally at a university bookstore or otherwise?

I'm glad I snoozed through that medical terminology class I just took last semester before I graduated...geeze. At least I still have the book, and it was written at a very, um, young age level so I think that might help...

I agree about not starting to panic. I was a late acceptance also Judd, so don't freak out too much. I am lucky to have one parent who worries enough for me and my whole family :)

I will be there this weekend, and then I might be traveling to someplace in NC on monday to do some white water rafting if anyone else is interested...

Later guys!

Hey bjsunny and Judd,
I am still on alternate list with no more hope, but was just wondering if you both had DO recommendations ???? Since I have heard that everybody that is on alternate list hasn't shadowed a DO and obviously sent in MD letters. Please let me know!!!

Gvora,

You should NEVER give up hope, nothing is impossible.

Nicola I really appreciate the encouragement. It just seems that there is only 5 days until orientation and it just doesn't seem realistic to have hope. But good luck and best wishes with the school starting so soon! :) :thumbup:

Gopi Vora

Gvora, I spent time in a large neurology practice (that had MDs and DOs) following the two DOs around, so yes, I had two letters or rec. I also think that my interview and my undergrad research in neurology probably helped tie all that together. My application was very unified...if that makes any sense. Hope this helps!

Heys guys,

I know this is a bit late but if there are any females who still need a roommate please pm me. I wasn't sure about my living situation until now so i just decided to look for a place.

Neha

Hey all!

I have a favor to ask. This may not even be something any of you can answer yet, but has anyone received even a basic schedule for our classes first term. I realize we won't all be in the same sections/classes at once, but I really really need just a general idea of what time I might expect to be done on a Thursday/Friday so I can make some flight plans to go home for a weekend. It has been like pulling teeth to get some of this info from both the Philly and GA campuses (and I know they are all busy and the school is new - I am trying to be very patient). If you have any info, you can just PM me. Thanks soooo much - I'm moving to Lawrenceville tomorrow so I'll see you all soon

Hey Bjsunny I won't be attending Ga-PCOM, but I just visited the campus and I was told (don't quote me), but that Mon-Thur the classes will be end on 5, and on fridays at 1. The school is ready and has the best technology for you guys!!! The school is new, and best of all with new ideas. Good luck guys you all will be making history. :)

bjsunny said:
I'm glad I snoozed through that medical terminology class I just took last semester before I graduated...geeze. At least I still have the book, and it was written at a very, um, young age level so I think that might help...

I agree about not starting to panic. I was a late acceptance also Judd, so don't freak out too much. I am lucky to have one parent who worries enough for me and my whole family :)

I will be there this weekend, and then I might be traveling to someplace in NC on monday to do some white water rafting if anyone else is interested...

Later guys!

Count me in next time on the white water rafting...the ocoee(sp.?) is close too.

beano said:
Count me in next time on the white water rafting...the ocoee(sp.?) is close too.

Awesome! There are these really cute and relaxing cabins that my mom rents several times a year (Turnstone Cabins) in Dillard Georgia, and that's when we go rafting. I've never done any of the "action packed" stuff, because we keep sticking to the mild Nantahala, but I'd like to try something a little more exciting. If some of you are into it, we should get a rafting group together, and if we ever end up having the time we can go one day on a weekend, maybe after a stressful exam....

I have been to Pigeon Forge ( I believe it was called that). It had a couple of class 3 and 4 rapids. A good time If your into it. I'm down for the next trip

B-

bjsunny said:
Awesome! There are these really cute and relaxing cabins that my mom rents several times a year (Turnstone Cabins) in Dillard Georgia, and that's when we go rafting. I've never done any of the "action packed" stuff, because we keep sticking to the mild Nantahala, but I'd like to try something a little more exciting. If some of you are into it, we should get a rafting group together, and if we ever end up having the time we can go one day on a weekend, maybe after a stressful exam....

bjsunny:

I have went down the Ocoee River many times now. Eh...I think 5 times....can't remember. It is absolutely fun! It is a Category 3-4 but actually not that "action packed". Only 2 or 3 drops that can rack your nerve but definitely worth trying if you haven't try it before.

There are a lot of companies along the Ocoee River that do the raft. I recommend QuestExpeditions and Sunburst. You will get better pricing on any day other than Saturday. I paid $25 pp this past June. Their website is www.questexpeditions.com and www.sunburstrafting.com. Have fun!! :D

bjsunny said:

Just a quick warning, I called Georgia Tech bookstore about the Medical Terminology book (hoping they had it in stock) and they said it was not available and would not be shipped for 1-2 weeks if ordered online or by phone through B&N. The online ordering site does not give availability information.

The only place I have been able to locate the book in stock is at the publisher's website (http://www.elsevierhealth.com/title.cfm?ISBN=1416025057). Borders, Barnes and Noble, eCampus, etc. only have the book without the online course in stock to ship now. The publisher offers 10% off for ordering 3 or more different books with free shipping, so I ordered all the required books that they publish (6 of them) for the small discount.

Elmer said:
Just a quick warning, I called Georgia Tech bookstore about the Medical Terminology book (hoping they had it in stock) and they said it was not available and would not be shipped for 1-2 weeks if ordered online or by phone through B&N. The online ordering site does not give availability information.

The only place I have been able to locate the book in stock is at the publisher's website (http://www.elsevierhealth.com/title.cfm?ISBN=1416025057). Borders, Barnes and Noble, eCampus, etc. only have the book without the online course in stock to ship now. The publisher offers 10% off for ordering 3 or more different books with free shipping, so I ordered all the required books that they publish (6 of them) for the small discount.

Hey Guys,

I went to Georgia Tech book store thursday since i work at Tech and picked up the medical terminology book. When i was talking to the sales cleck she told me that all the book were going to be shipped to a new bookstore near our school and i think all the book will be available during orientation.

I also went to the campus to look around and saw a space marked "bookstore". So i think that the books are going to be shipped from Tech bookstore to our own bookstore.

The campus looks great. Its very modern!!!

Neha

nehave said:
Hey Guys,

I went to Georgia Tech book store thursday since i work at Tech and picked up the medical terminology book. When i was talking to the sales cleck she told me that all the book were going to be shipped to a new bookstore near our school and i think all the book will be available during orientation.

I also went to the campus to look around and saw a space marked "bookstore". So i think that the books are going to be shipped from Tech bookstore to our own bookstore.

The campus looks great. Its very modern!!!

Neha

Weird, I called the GA Tech Bookstore with the ISBN from the booklist Aisha provided and they said it was not in stock and not readily available in a warehouse. There are a few versions of the book. Are you sure the book they had in stock has the online course access code?

Text without access code I found this one at Barnes and Noble for $25.

Text with access code ISBN 1416025057 This book should be around $40, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

Elmer said:
Weird, I called the GA Tech Bookstore with the ISBN from the booklist Aisha provided and they said it was not in stock and not readily available in a warehouse. There are a few versions of the book. Are you sure the book they had in stock has the online course access code?

Text without access code I found this one at Barnes and Noble for $25.

Text with access code ISBN 1416025057 This book should be around $40, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

When I went the books the books were all in boxes ready to be shipped. I guess they have been shipped out. I know I got the right book b/c I checked the ISBN number and it the access code for the online course.

The only other think I am not sure about is, if we take this course as individuals or under an instructor. The website states that if you take this course as an individual you don't receive any college credit for it. I am not sure if we are doing this for credit or just as a refresher. Any ideas?

Does anyone happen to know what time orientation starts? Thanks-B

sketches said:
Although I have not found a way to use our PCOM accounts with another mail client, you can forward a copy of your incoming emails automatically by following these steps:

1. Log into your PCOM Groupwise account
2. Open the options window (click the center button at the top next to exit)
3. Click on the 'Rules' tab
4. Select 'Forward' in the drop-down box and click 'Create'
5. Type in a rule name (such as 'email_forward')
6. Leave the conditional statement blank to have a copy of all new messages forwarded
7. Type the email address you want the messages forwarded to in the 'To:' box
8. Click the save button
9. Click the save button again

I just set mine up this weekend and it works fine. Let me know if you have any questions :D

Do you know how to forward our pcom account to outlook express? Im not really sure what our mail server is either. Thanks in advance.

ttpatel said:
Do you know how to forward our pcom account to outlook express? Im not really sure what our mail server is either. Thanks in advance.

Did you try mail.pcom.edu?

Just wanted to see if I could dust this thread off...

Drugtech said:

OWW!!

you got dust in me eye...

You got way too much time on your hands!! Bad enough that we all post on here when we should be studying, but to dust off a 9 month old thread!! Although, I am kind of nostalgic about it since I started it. "tears forming"

BMW-

Drugtech said:

You know what it is? I tried to find this thread a long time ago, but to no avail. Since I've taken Medicine and Society, I'm now a master researcher! So don't thank me--thank BJ and Bill!

Believe I make sure to thank BJ and Bill on a daily basis for the knowledge they have bestowed on all of us. I will be a great Dr. now that I have been thru their class.

Drugtech said:
You know what it is? I tried to find this thread a long time ago, but to no avail. Since I've taken Medicine and Society, I'm now a master researcher! So don't thank me--thank BJ and Bill!

Drugtech said:

Bill called, he found our AIDS paper...And then BJ called, she managed to find Bill...and then the two of them managed to dig Otis Powell out their paper stacks..wait, wait, I'm getting an update...THEY FOUND CHOO!!!

Rejoice, Y'all...