G.I. Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstdnt123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be a 4th year in a few months and have had to submit our initial schedules for next year recently. I am thinking about doing an Internal Medicine residency and currently am really interested in G.I. Was just wondering if anyone knew if there were certain medicine residency programs that had good G.I. match rates or seemed to take more in house residents for fellowships particularly G.I.? Also, since G.I. is so competitive I planned on applying to a decent number of medicine programs because I feel going to a top tier medicine program would help your chances a lot for fellowships. Am I right in thinking so?

Also, I am interested in doing away rotations with one in Chicago for sure. Has anyone heard anything particularly about the medicine residency programs in Chicago - NU, U of C, Loyola, UIC. Or about UT southwestern or U of Mich? Sorry it's a lot of questions but couldn't quickly find any info on this. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be a 4th year in a few months and have had to submit our initial schedules for next year recently. I am thinking about doing an Internal Medicine residency and currently am really interested in G.I. Was just wondering if anyone knew if there were certain medicine residency programs that had good G.I. match rates or seemed to take more in house residents for fellowships particularly G.I.? Also, since G.I. is so competitive I planned on applying to a decent number of medicine programs because I feel going to a top tier medicine program would help your chances a lot for fellowships. Am I right in thinking so?

Also, I am interested in doing away rotations with one in Chicago for sure. Has anyone heard anything particularly about the medicine residency programs in Chicago - NU, U of C, Loyola, UIC. Or about UT southwestern or U of Mich? Sorry it's a lot of questions but couldn't quickly find any info on this. Thanks again.

Doing IM in a top brand Uni program will definitely help in getting GI. Good luck!