Chance of Matching into G.I fellowship in the future ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GamerTheRock

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Current Status: OMS-4

School: East coast DO- program
Step 1: 225
Step 2: 231

COMLEX-1: 530
COMLEX-2: 575
Pre-clinical: High-Pass I.M
Class rank: Top 20 %

Research:
1 Abstract publication in gastro.

EC's: volunteer hours here and there

I want to be realistic with my goals, do you guys think I have a chance?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Research:

Thank you

Keep it up, be involved with more research in residency, get a good mentor and you all good.

Hey guys,

Research:

Thank you
Yes. Shine in residency, maybe do a Chief year, and research. Make sure you go to a residency that has fellowship in house and has a history of taking their own.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO, poor step scores, little research.

You need to keep beefing up your CV... Publish more, Excel on step 3. Make connections with important people and get rec letters from them.

Keep hustling cuz.

Keep it up, be involved with more research in residency, get a good mentor and you all good.

Im not sure why you are so enthusiastic. Certainly this poster could match but uphill climb. US MDs with those stats would be nervous.

Reactions: 1 user
Im not sure why you are so enthusiastic. Certainly this poster could match but uphill climb. US MDs with those stats would be nervous.

Since he is still in medical school.
Since GIs I have seen matched USMD had similar scores.
since GIs I seen match start research during residency.

Since I want to give hope for the uphill climb.

Hey guys,

Pre-clinical: High-Pass I.

Research:

Thank you
Focus on getting into the best MD residency you can get into and Performing the best you can do during that residency and being an active participant in the gastroenterology Department in your respective Academic Program while participating in the GI department ongoing research and you will have a good chance of matching somewhere if you apply broadly

won't be easy coming from DO school with your scores. Possible if you are in a midtier residency and are one of the better residents with research. Chances aren't high but residency performance can overcome it.

won't be easy coming from DO school with your scores. Possible if you are in a midtier residency and are one of the better residents with research. Chances aren't high but residency performance can overcome it.

No one has a crystal ball and no one knows what your future holds. You make your plans for 3-5 years from now and work towards them.

But I say it again:

Chances are high. Many DO Gastro programs and many DO PDs out there
Bayonne
Leigh Valley High
Just are the few ones and many more.

Do well on step 3. Be involve in research from day one of residency, go to a residency program that has gastroenterology fellowship or going to start one PM when time comes since I know at least 3 which will start a GI fellowship in 2022/2023.

Make good and find couple GI physicians at your residency and tell them you are interested from week one.

Case reports, published papers (review, trials, join the ACG and attend and present at ACG / ANMS/ DDW meeting).

Find a mentor now in your medical school and keep a good relationship. Try to find a GI as a mentor.

You can do it and you will.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

Research:

Thank you

Not impossible, but an uphill battle given DO with lower step scores. GI is currently the most competitive IM sub-specialty, and the Match rate reflects that, with around 42% match rate for DOs. The DOs and IMGs I've seen match into GI usually do a chief year and Match into their home program (at most programs, being a chief guarantees you a spot in the respective home program). So the first step would be to get into an IM residency program that DO friendly and has an in-house GI fellowship.

Not impossible, but an uphill battle given DO with lower step scores. GI is currently the most competitive IM sub-specialty, and the Match rate reflects that, with around 42% match rate for DOs. The DOs and IMGs I've seen match into GI usually do a chief year and Match into their home program (at most programs, being a chief guarantees you a spot in the respective home program). So the first step would be to get into an IM residency program that DO friendly and has an in-house GI fellowship.
Agree especially with the last sentence. The stats are not competitive but they are not prohibitive either.

Not sure why people keep saying to get a good step 3 score but your step 3 score is irrelevant.

You need to network hard. Go to a residency program with it's own GI fellowship and then you need to be stuck up their ass for 2 years until they match you. Go to every single meeting, go to every single gathering they have, publish whatever case reports they tell you to. By the time application season comes around they will already know you so well that it will be hard not to take you unless you have a **** personality and they don't like you.

Not sure why people keep saying to get a good step 3 score but your step 3 score is irrelevant.

You need to network hard. Go to a residency program with it's own GI fellowship and then you need to be stuck up their ass for 2 years until they match you. Go to every single meeting, go to every single gathering they have, publish whatever case reports they tell you to. By the time application season comes around they will already know you so well that it will be hard not to take you unless you have a **** personality and they don't like you.

Everything you said I agree with. But when you rank a applicant if you look at the PD eras handbook. Step 3 has a 2 times higher points than other steps. So having a strong step 3 score and excellent ITE scores Actually does matter. Since the system is fair. Is the system that ultimately ranks. And if you change positions you have to answer to GMe and DIO and even sometimes Chair of program why did they manually move an applicant higher or lower.

Members don't see this ad :)

one more thing. In house fellowship you be battling it out versus other 4 or more residents doing exactly the same as you but step 3 and ITE score is what ranks you higher and secures the positions.

For instance. Program has 3 spots. 30 internal medicine resident. 10 are applying to GI. They all have the same professional and compassionate personality and research. You like them all. You input all scores in the system and guess what the ones with higher step 3 and ITE match

For instance. Program has 3 spots. 30 internal medicine resident. 10 are applying to GI. They all have the same professional and compassionate personality and research. You like them all. You input all scores in the system and guess what the ones with higher step 3 and ITE match
ITE is not supposed to be reported to fellowship programs or anyone else (employers, etc). It’s supposed to be a tool to help your program see your weakness (and the other residents) and find a solution to it.

Everything you said I agree with. But when you rank a applicant if you look at the PD eras handbook. Step 3 has a 2 times higher points than other steps. So having a strong step 3 score and excellent ITE scores Actually does matter. Since the system is fair. Is the system that ultimately ranks. And if you change positions you have to answer to GMe and DIO and even sometimes Chair of program why did they manually move an applicant higher or lower.
I'm pretty involved in the selection process at my institution so I can only speak for my program but 3 things:

1. We do not use some calculator that tells us where to rank an applicant. Using such a system means letters of recommendation are worthless as are personal statements as are publications and having done rotations with the program etc etc.

2. We do not have access to ITE scores.

3. I have never been in a situation where a step 3 score was the deciding factor in me lowering the rank of someone.

I think we need to give applicants real and honest advice... Yes try and get a good step 3 score but just know (as long you pass) you should put your effort in other things.

I'm pretty involved in the selection process at my institution so I can only speak for my program but 3 things:

1. We do not use some calculator that tells us where to rank an applicant. Using such a system means letters of recommendation are worthless as are personal statements as are publications and having done rotations with the program etc etc.

2. We do not have access to ITE scores.

3. I have never been in a situation where a step 3 score was the deciding factor in me lowering the rank of someone.

I think we need to give applicants real and honest advice... Yes try and get a good step 3 score but just know (as long you pass) you should put your effort in other things.

Wow you must have so much power since our chief and PD decide who to interview and final decision is with the chair.

for more information on ranking and selecting applicants I encourage you to tell your program to review this:
Is an old one but get your fellowship director to download the 2019-202 or ask the Medicne department.

Attachments

• ERAS-PDWS-2018-User-Guide.pdf
    5.6 MB · Views: 172
ITE is not supposed to be reported to fellowship programs or anyone else (employers, etc). It’s supposed to be a tool to help your program see your weakness (and the other residents) and find a solution to it.
I see ITE scores not actual ones like they say
Individual X scored in the so and so percentile which is so and so above the others in the PD letter of recommendations.

I see ITE scores not actual ones like they say
Individual X scored in the so and so percentile which is so and so above the others in the PD letter of recommendations.
I can see them doing that if it’s really high but if it’s not they shouldn’t include it and if it’s not included you shouldn’t assume it’s because it’s low. Technically those PDs are misusing the test.

Wow you must have so much power since our chief and PD decide who to interview and final decision is with the chair.

for more information on ranking and selecting applicants I encourage you to tell your program to review this:
Is an old one but get your fellowship director to download the 2019-202 or ask the Medicne department.

Lol. If you only knew who our chair and program director were you'd eat your own words so fast you'd start ruminating.

Ranking and selecting applicants is entirely up to the chair and PD.

They could rank applicants based on who has the best smelling farts if they wanted. All I'm trying to convey to you is that not everyone uses a silly (and unfair) calculator or uses shady methods to find out ITE scores.

Please tell us what program you're at so we can alert the ACGME or at the very least alert applicants to avoid your program.

Lol. If you only knew who our chair and program director were you'd eat your own words so fast you'd start ruminating.

Ranking and selecting applicants is entirely up to the chair and PD.

They could rank applicants based on who has the best smelling farts if they wanted. All I'm trying to convey to you is that not everyone uses a silly (and unfair) calculator or uses shady methods to find out ITE scores.

Please tell us what program you're at so we can alert the ACGME or at the very least alert applicants to avoid your program.

Come to My program any time we even offer free hotel for visitors.
your chair or PD can be Dr Rex or Sharma or Roa or Baron him self.
I wish you the best for your future.

Last edited:
Come to My program any time we even offer free hotel for visitors.
your chair or PD can be Dr Rex or Sharma or Roa or Baron him self.
I wish you the best for your future.

That's what I thought.

At least tell me what state you're in so I can avoid jobs in that state altogether.

That's what I thought.

At least tell me what state you're in so I can avoid jobs in that state altogether.

tell me what small program with your IBD guru your program is in

I believe everyone wants to know now.
let me see either graduated from top 3 Carib maybe Ross or st. George, you had decent scores for 2017 but ended up in a community program with an IBD guru was considering IBD then realized your NPs deal with them so now trying to get certified in advance procedures, master motility and liver but you can’t so you mad since all the jobs you finding are quoting you 25% of MGMA

may I suggest rural Alabama Or even non urban Washington state or Montana. Or just take the job in Fargo

tell me what small program with your IBD guru your program is in

I believe everyone wants to know now.
let me see either graduated from top 3 Carib maybe Ross or st. George, you had decent scores for 2017 but ended up in a community program with an IBD guru was considering IBD then realized your NPs deal with them so now trying to get certified in advance procedures, master motility and liver but you can’t so you mad since all the jobs you finding are quoting you 25% of MGMA

may I suggest rural Alabama Or even non urban Washington state or Montana. Or just take the job in Fargo
LMAO.
I went to a University program, declined an advanced position that was offered to me at my own institution because advanced is for people like you who have no lives outside of work. Our IBD guru, liver transplant guru and our motility department are all well known in the field and finally I'm entertaining a job offer in DC and one in Philly.

But your post is all class and confirms everything I thought about you: trash.

LMAO.
I went to a University program, declined an advanced position that was offered to me at my own institution because advanced is for people like you who have no lives outside of work. Our IBD guru, liver transplant guru and our motility department are all well known in the field and finally I'm entertaining a job offer in DC and one in Philly.

But your post is all class and confirms everything I thought about you: trash.

I believe when one professional persons breaks down like you to call/ name another person trash just shows how much lack of professionalism you have.

stop your ranting, think before you insult some one, be professional. Look at the conversation and the people involved in it from different angles and perspectives.
None of your posts ok SDN has been helpful and most are insulting and rude.

dude you need to stop this type of attitude. Be calm. Everything will be ok. I understand if you want to talk to some one PM me your phone number and we can talk as adults and peers.

but do not call names and do understand this is forum for professionals to come and share thoughts and learn from each other.

I might have no life outside of work. I might be trash In your eyes but I know I have helped anyone who asks. Try to teach and learn as much as I can not for the money but to prevent, predict and cure digestive diseases.