"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 217395
One day we will be too strong even for the US News top MD schools.

when-the-meme-you-shared-gets-2-likes-google-how-18172320.png

^when the dank meme you *made* gets more than 2 likes haha

Reactions: 20 users
I knew this one kid who said he broke his femur during an interview and pointed to his lower leg.

...oh wait that was me.

Fml

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even worse if she realizes it. You don't "become a neonatal doctor" in undergrad. Or even medical school.

Did she say she was going to graduate undergrad with a BS in neonatology? No, it is more likely that her overall goal is to be a neonatal doctor, so naturally, enrolling in undergrad would be the first step in that process.

Reactions: 1 user
Did she say she was going to graduate undergrad with a BS in neonatology? No, it is more likely that her overall goal is to be a neonatal doctor, so naturally, enrolling in undergrad would be the first step in that process.

Enrolling in undergrad is a "step in the process of becoming a doctor" in the same way that buying a plane ticket to Tibet is a "step in the process of climbing Mt Everest".

Reactions: 30 users
"It's official! I just bought my plane ticket to Tibet to climb Mount Everest! I am excited to see what this new chapter in my life has in store!"

Doesn't seem too far out there to me... She's a bit on the optimistic side, for sure, but it's not THAT much of a dumb statement to make beyond the typical pre-meds wanting to do something super specialized they know nothing about.

No! She's a dumb "less-informed" pre-med who will never amount to anything. Now stop ruining the only thread that actually makes me feel like a competent undergrad.

Reactions: 15 users
"It's official! I just bought my plane ticket to Tibet to climb Mount Everest! I am excited to see what this new chapter in my life has in store!"

Doesn't seem too far out there to me... She's a bit on the optimistic side, for sure, but it's not THAT much of a dumb statement to make beyond the typical pre-meds wanting to do something super specialized they know nothing about.
Haha you sure about that? if you take a spontaneous trip to climb Mount Everest, you'll literally die on the mountain.

Reactions: 4 users

So around 1,000 people attempt the summit every year. In 2016, 641 climbers made the summit. Of those, 48% of them were sherpas or professional guides. Additionally, only 60% of expeditions put a single climber on the summit. There are an average of 6.9 deaths per year.

Buying your ticket to Everest without training is a huge risk, but unlike med school, it includes death as a very real risk.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.alan...2/30/everest-by-the-numbers-2017-edition/amp/

Reactions: 3 users
I think you're reading more into her post than was there. She's not necessarily saying this was a spontaneous decision or assuming it's a piece of cake to get into med school and do everything she needs to do to become a neonatologist. She's excited, she's a pre-med who wants to be a neonatologist. That's all she's saying.

Someone who has done any research into the experience most likely wouldn't be saying they are going to become a neonatal doctor when they are just starting college.

The idea of treating kids is sexy and exciting, but the reality is awkward, sad and sphincter tightening.

One of my friends went on a few dates with someone who had led her to believe they were a medical student. It took like 5 minutes of conversation with them to realize they were actually a sophomore biology major.

Premeds like to take advantage of how convoluted this process is to the general public in order to make themselves feel important.

Reactions: 8 users
Someone who has done any research into the experience most likely wouldn't be saying they are going to become a neonatal doctor when they are just starting college.

The idea of treating kids is sexy and exciting, but the reality is awkward, sad and sphincter tightening.
You're on a list now, buddy. Tread lightly.

Reactions: 20 users
One of my friends went on a few dates with someone who had led her to believe they were a medical student. It took like 5 minutes of conversation with them to realize they were actually a sophomore biology major.

Premeds like to take advantage of how convoluted this process is to the general public in order to make themselves feel important.
Don't hate the player, brah.

Sorry lol, didn't mean it to be! Coming up on dedicated time for Step 1 and the exhaustion is real. My brain is 0% capable of handling anything besides UWorld questions these days (and even that is debatable), including normal human conversation
What is your favorite pizza topping?
A. Inferior mesenteric veins
B. Olives
C. Cirrhosis of the liver
D. Extra cheese
E. More sleep for the love of god

Reactions: 7 users
I talked to a premed (who's actually super cool, and this incident is not indicative of how she is as a person) who is planning on taking the MCAT within the next few months and thought that it was scored from 0-600.

Reactions: 6 users
Moving inventory around at the practice I work at:
Female coworker (Finds a box of speculas): What are these for?
Me:...
Coworker: Oh! They must use it to hold your eye open during exams.

Reactions: 10 users
Not a pre-med but relates to the common MD v.s. DO argument...

Article on MD v.s. DO
http://www.truthin7minutes.com/md-
Final statement:
"Personally, I do not trust D.O.s or M.D.s.

Doctors mistakes are now the #3 killers of Americans.

Instead, I play my own doctor using these natural remedies for my ills."

How much you want to bet this person is an anti-vaxxor?

Reactions: 13 users
Not a quote, but I did have a nightmare premed lab group member sophomore year. She's an international student and she wrote a total of two sentences the entire semester (which I had to rewrite). She was on her phone most of the time in lab, but would always beg to pipette even though she would do it wrong half the time. I remember once we were divvying up work and I asked her to write a particular section of the assignment and she told me that she couldn't do it because her English wasn't good enough. I completely respect international students and one of my best college friends is also from China, and she was totally appalled when I told her this story. She wants to be a doctor here but doesn't want to write?! My two other group members HATED her. At the end of the semester when we were all writing our individual lab reports, she kept asking all of us separately to send our version of parts of the report to her so she could "compare." Nobody sent her anything, lol, we were all so done.

Lo and behold she has just registered for the MCAT. My roommate had her in a group in another class and experienced similar frustrations. This girl clearly doesn't know how to work with others in a team spirit!

Reactions: 7 users
2a6c89698bc2fbe6c803db580a10d1a0.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Not a quote, but I did have a nightmare premed lab group member sophomore year. She's an international student and she wrote a total of two sentences the entire semester (which I had to rewrite). She was on her phone most of the time in lab, but would always beg to pipette even though she would do it wrong half the time. I remember once we were divvying up work and I asked her to write a particular section of the assignment and she told me that she couldn't do it because her English wasn't good enough. I completely respect international students and one of my best college friends is also from China, and she was totally appalled when I told her this story. She wants to be a doctor here but doesn't want to write?! My two other group members HATED her. At the end of the semester when we were all writing our individual lab reports, she kept asking all of us separately to send our version of parts of the report to her so she could "compare." Nobody sent her anything, lol, we were all so done.

Lo and behold she has just registered for the MCAT. My roommate had her in a group in another class and experienced similar frustrations. This girl clearly doesn't know how to work with others in a team spirit!

I would LOVE to watch her survive an MMI lol

Last edited:

Prompt: "You have to choose which patient to save, how do you go about it?"

Response: "ummmmmmm idk, flip a coin probably. Or just let the nurse figure it out, I don't have time for stupid stuff like that"

Hahaha, man I would pay money to see that. She recently went on some sort of medical trip to Nepal and she posted a ton of very staged photos of her wearing scrubs with children on instagram. So many pictures.

Reactions: 6 users

Many Chinese people that come here for PhD and masters are very smart and competent. They tell me that many undergraduate Chinese students are from rich families and are spoiled. It is not a hard rule but it is also what I have noticed.

Reactions: 1 users
Many Chinese people that come here for PhD and masters are very smart and competent. They tell me that many undergraduate Chinese students are from rich families and are spoiled. It is not a hard rule but it is also what I have noticed.

I've had a conversation about this with two friends of mine, one is from China and the other is Tawainese American. According to both of them there is actually a word in Mandarin that refers to the stereotypical rich/spoiled Chinese student that roughly translates as "rich second generation." Here in the north east, a lot of them wear Canada Goose jackets which definitely tips you off on the rich part. But I have met some students from China who are thoughtful, hardworking, and who volunteer with me regularly, so it's a mixed bag! It's unfortunate that this one girl seems to fit into the stereotype, though :/

Last edited:
富二代。 I know the term. I also have met many of the children of politicians or rich business families.

She gonna get rekt on CARS :|

It is now my dream to see someone try to do this to a patient in an exam room

Not a pre-med but relates to the common MD v.s. DO argument...

Article on MD v.s. DO
http://www.truthin7minutes.com/md-
Final statement:
"Personally, I do not trust D.O.s or M.D.s.

Doctors mistakes are now the #3 killers of Americans.

Instead, I play my own doctor using these natural remedies for my ills."

How much you want to bet this person is an anti-vaxxor?
You should tell her to remove her heart since that's the #1 killer in America.

Reactions: 12 users
I just remembered an embarrassing encounter I had with a physician in the ICU during one of my volunteer shifts last year.
I was just walking around the floor when the physician stopped me to ask me to bring him a staple remover. I figured he was working on paperwork so I brought him an office supply staple remover from the nurses station, and he just looked at me with this stare like I was the most idiotic thing he ever saw.

Turns out he needed a surgical staple remover, so he could remove some staples from a patient..... :smack::bang:
It was so horrifying, but now I can't help but laugh at myself for how dumb I must have looked to that doctor lol

Reactions: 32 users
I just remembered an embarrassing encounter I had with a physician in the ICU during one of my volunteer shifts last year.
I was just walking around the floor when the physician stopped me to ask me to bring him a staple remover. I figured he was working on paperwork so I brought him an office supply staple remover from the nurses station, and he just looked at me with this stare like I was the most idiotic thing he ever saw.

Turns out he needed a surgical staple remover, so he could remove some staples from a patient..... :smack::bang:
It was so horrifying, but now I can't help but laugh at myself for how dumb I must have looked to that doctor lol
Could've been worse..., "I have long finger nails, I can take it out for you!"

Reactions: 11 users

Don't feel bad...I did something about that dumb when I was in college (many years ago). I worked in a store and a customer asked me where the mineral oil was. Well, the only experience I ever had with mineral oil was when it was suggested I use it to treat a handmade wood cutting board. So naturally I sent the customer to the hardware dept. :oops: About 5 minutes later customer comes back to me and says, MINERAL OIL...you know for constipation. I about died of embarrassment and took them to the aisle with the laxatives. :D

Reactions: 8 users
She's not a pre-med student, but someone I see on a regular basis asked me what my post-graduation plans are and when I told her I'd be going to medical school, she asked, "What do you do with a medical degree?"

:confused:

• Wow
Reactions: 16 users
I once worked as a CNA with a pre-med who didn't get in first time around, completed an SMP and graduated with his masters and didnt get in after that. My man was the most educated CNA I ever met.

:barf::zip:

Reactions: 12 users

I would have been mad tbh. The doctor shouldn't expect a random premed to know what he is talking about, and should be more specific.

I got that kind of stuff as a scribe a lot, one I remember is being asked to get "the blue mask". I came back with a blue mask, and they said "No, what? That's not it. I need the other blue mask". So I went back and found a second blue mask. Wrong one again, doctor was not happy.

Reactions: 10 users