"Funny quotes from 'less informed' pre-meds," On-Topic Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"I want to go to PA school, and if that doesnt work I'll just go to Med school"

I dont even understand the thinking behind that, but ive heard it multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
"I want to go to PA school, and if that doesnt work I'll just go to Med school"

I dont even understand the thinking behind that, but ive heard it multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I have heard the other way around, which is even weirder because PA programs are smaller/ PA's have a more desirable lifestyle, therefore there is actually more competition for PA schools ( also the patients contact to be considered competitive is insane).

I have heard the other way around, which is even weirder because PA programs are smaller/ PA's have a more desirable lifestyle, therefore there is actually more competition for PA schools ( also the patients contact to be considered competitive is insane).
nah

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is heading in a direction that I'm not a fan of.
Anyway, back to the on-topic discussion of premed cluelessness.

In the spirit of keeping this thread on topic, I overheard a girl in my orgo chem lab talking to others around her about how she wasn't doing so well in the lecture. But then she just laughed it off and said, "Oh well, it's not like you need organic chem to get into medical school! Haha!"..............
Everyone just started at her and was like, "Um, yes, you do!" After some convincing she just was like, "OMG, oops! Guess I better try harder in lecture! Haha!"

And this was from a sophomore or junior bio major premed at a major state university with a medical school and decent premed advising :smack:

Reactions: 5 users
"Ugh how is this fair that the average for every test is 71 this biology class is so unfair"
"I just hate biology and chem I just want to go to med school"

This is so "yikes," inducing. Makes me laugh considering I had a chem 2 prof who loved having 64 averages.

Reactions: 1 user
No. Voiding is a very good idea if you really feel that you did poorly, or, for example, run out of time during a section.

People who take the exam and then void, for practice purposes, well, that's plain stupid, even if it doesn't get held against them.

Is this a relatively normal practice? In the last two weeks I've had an advisor (who went to medical school) and a young MD who I intern with both tell me I should consider taking a "practice MCAT" at an actual testing facility. If I didn't frequent SDN so much I would probably take their advice, but I know it's dumb when there are tons of MCAT practice test resources out there.

"I'm going to SGU to be an MD because DOs aren't real doctors."
(got sub 500 first mcat, 501 second try, 502 third try IIRC)
- This kid had a good heart, but missed out on a US education because she wanted the title instead of the knowledge.

"I just....like.....lahve helping kids...... *glazed over look in eyes*.....I'm deeefinutley gawna be a peediatrick surgeon! I wanted to be a nurse, but like, it wasnt in depth enough for me. I don't wanna be bossed around"
- this girl showed up to the Pre-Med info session in a crop top and spandex, thick jersey accent and a shockingly blank look in her eyes. I swear I could feel her advisor rolling his eyes from across the room.

Reactions: 9 users
"I'm going to SGU to be an MD because DOs aren't real doctors."
(got sub 500 first mcat, 501 second try, 502 third try IIRC)
- This kid had a good heart, but missed out on a US education because she wanted the title instead of the knowledge.

"I just....like.....lahve helping kids...... *glazed over look in eyes*.....I'm deeefinutley gawna be a peediatrick surgeon! I wanted to be a nurse, but like, it wasnt in depth enough for me. I don't wanna be bossed around"
- this girl showed up to the Pre-Med info session in a crop top and spandex, thick jersey accent and a shockingly blank look in her eyes. I swear I could feel her advisor rolling his eyes from across the room.
That accent impression made me gag....I was eating lunch lol
That was kinda overkill XD

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why it's important to be careful during surgery

20091125.gif

And also to know what you're doing

20090707.gif

Reactions: 9 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
A friend of a friend of mine is taking the MCAT this summer. I asked him how studying was going and he said that he's planning to do content review two weeks until his test and then try to cram in as many practice tests in the last two weeks as possible. I asked him how far out he was from the test and apparently he's taking it in May. I tried my best to convince him that practice tests >>> content review but I think it's gonna take a bad score on his first practice test before this really sinks in. Hoping for the best for him though, I wouldn't want to have to retake that monster.
And then have the scores averaged together
:scared:

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of a friend of mine is taking the MCAT this summer. I asked him how studying was going and he said that he's planning to do content review two weeks until his test and then try to cram in as many practice tests in the last two weeks as possible. I asked him how far out he was from the test and apparently he's taking it in May. I tried my best to convince him that practice tests >>> content review but I think it's gonna take a bad score on his first practice test before this really sinks in. Hoping for the best for him though, I wouldn't want to have to retake that monster.
Meh, this sounds remarkably like my own plan, and that worked out fine.
It depends on whether what you need to work on is the content, or test-taking skills like timing. Most content review has passage-based practice problems, so really the only advantages to the actual practice tests are a) score prediction b) timing practice.

If timing isn't an issue (for some people it's not) and they don't have test-specific anxiety, I don't see why 2 weeks of practice tests wouldn't be enough. They'll get a score estimate out of it and can choose to defer if they're not ready. The score estimate wouldn't be accurate if they took the test before finishing content review, so no point in blowing tests earlier. And the test questions are usually easier than the content review practice questions anyway.

Meh, this sounds remarkably like my own plan, and that worked out fine.
It depends on whether what you need to work on is the content, or test-taking skills like timing. Most content review has passage-based practice problems, so really the only advantages to the actual practice tests are a) score prediction b) timing practice.

If timing isn't an issue (for some people it's not) and they don't have test-specific anxiety, I don't see why 2 weeks of practice tests wouldn't be enough. They'll get a score estimate out of it and can choose to defer if they're not ready. The score estimate wouldn't be accurate if they took the test before finishing content review, so no point in blowing tests earlier. And the test questions are usually easier than the content review practice questions anyway.
To each their own I suppose but for me I didn't see real increases in my score until I was taking and reviewing practice tests. Reviewing a test took an entire day for me so I guess two weeks just didn't seem like enough time in my mind.

To be fair, if you're already good at taking standardized tests then this is a valid study schedule.

EDIT: sorry didnt see above ^^

That accent impression made me gag....I was eating lunch lol
That was kinda overkill XD
the impression didn't do it justice. It was horrendous.
The adviser kinda stared at her dumbfounded.

Reactions: 2 users
Is this a relatively normal practice? In the last two weeks I've had an advisor (who went to medical school) and a young MD who I intern with both tell me I should consider taking a "practice MCAT" at an actual testing facility. If I didn't frequent SDN so much I would probably take their advice, but I know it's dumb when there are tons of MCAT practice test resources out there.

I mean why not, it's only $500... (facetious). But seriously this does make sense if your family has so much capital that $500 is comparable your average citizen's $20. That's a lot of capital though...

EDIT: I think the language in the form signed when you take the MCAT may mean this sort of test-taking is technically prohibited, albeit difficult to enforce.

I mean why not, it's only $500... (facetious). But seriously this does make sense if your family has so much capital that $500 is comparable your average citizen's $20. That's a lot of capital though...

EDIT: I think the language in the form signed when you take the MCAT may mean this sort of test-taking is technically prohibited, albeit difficult to enforce.
TBH when you're gonna be dropping 200-300K on undergrad and 300+k on medical schooling that 5-hundo kinda seems like a drop in the bucket.

*EDIT* It may be a drop in the bucket but I still think it's a stupid stupid thing to do

Last edited:
TBH when you're gonna be dropping 200-300K on undergrad and 300+k on medical schooling that 5-hundo kinda seems like a drop in the bucket.

*EDIT* It may be a drop in the bucket but I still think it's a stupid stupid thing to do

Not when you have diapers to buy, bills to pay, kids to feed, etc. That six digit debt isn't payable until you're actually getting paid. The 5-hundo is due right now.

I might be wrong, but I don't think that spending $200-300K on undergrad is super normal. Even at more affordable universities, though, the idea of just wasting money by taking a "practice" MCAT isn't really unheard of.

I think it used to be the case that schools didn't even see if you voided an MCAT attempt - it just disappeared and never happened. If it were like that, taking a "practice MCAT" and voiding it might be worth it for the experience especially if you were prone to test anxiety. I think it no longer works that way, and schools can see that you took it and voided. Soooo don't do that.

Someone got ripped off big time if they spent 200-300k on their UG.

[/QUOTE="Citizen #3, post: 18797985, member: 823853"]I might be wrong, but I don't think that spending $200-300K on undergrad is super normal. Even at more affordable universities, though, the idea of just wasting money by taking a "practice" MCAT isn't really unheard of.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 8 users
Just seen on Facebook, a former coworker shared their daughter's post:

"It's official! I will be attending XXX to study "Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences" to become a neonatal doctor! I am excited to see what this new chapter in my life has in store!"

.....She will be an incoming college freshman this fall.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Just seen on Facebook, a former coworker shared their daughter's post:

"It's official! I will be attending XXX to study "Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences" to become a neonatal doctor! I am excited to see what this new chapter in my life has in store!"

.....She will be an incoming college freshman this fall.
Well , maybe she realizes that after college there's med school but she thinks it goes without saying
Give her the benefit of the doubt
:wtf:

Since reading this thread, I have noticed soooo many more people referring to nursing school as "medical school" and it is extremely frustrating. No disrespect to nurses at all, just annoying.

Reactions: 5 users
Since reading this thread, I have noticed soooo many more people referring to nursing school as "medical school" and it is extremely frustrating. No disrespect to nurses at all, just annoying.

I'm sorry but B.S.N = 4yr and M.D. = 4yr I am having trouble not understanding why they are not the same??

Reactions: 8 users
I'm sorry but B.S.N = 4yr and M.D. = 4yr I am having trouble not understanding why they are not the same??
Amount of time spent watching Grey's Anatomy = 4yr

Reactions: 15 users
BSN is four years total, two years pre nursing and two years nursing school.
MD school is 4 years after 4 years of undergrad, plus residency.

I'm humbled to have finally been educated by the new pinnacle of SDN wisdom.

Reactions: 24 users
I like to imagine Saifa was being sarcastic with his/her post.

Reactions: 6 users
I like to imagine Saifa was being sarcastic with his/her post.
I know
I was being ironic....b/c this is a thread...about being less informed
Nvm

I have to admit though, that is some quality internet XD

SDN is evolving.
I literally came downstairs to have diner with my family with this big grin on my face , still chortling.
:laugh:
I'm sorry I stole , your joke, Safia XD
I just saw an opportunity for maximum irony and I just took it .
:clap: