Funniest thing you've heard in your day-to-day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeahUnderTheSea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think funny posts are so important, and quotes are usually the funniest things of all. :laugh:

Can everyone something funny that happened to them or they overhead at vet school? (not that a friend of a friend of a friend heard....)

Let's see where this goes....! :D

Members don't see this ad.

In Bacteriology, we're studying about chlamydia...

Professor goes "Ok, Chlamydiaceae, my favorite family of bacteria..."

Silemce from the class.

Professor "Um, not personally."

Giggles.

"...now, does any know what we can expect from this family of bacteria?"

And someone yells out "The Clap!!"

Everyone cracks up.... even the prof. Everyone needs a little immaturity now and then.

this is just too stupid not to post.
so you know how everyone says vet school is like going back in time to high school? there are definitely some people in my class that act like they are in high school. i overheard two girls talking about what they were going to do in the upcoming weekend. we had a really hard week and the short conversation between them went like this...

girl 1 'i wanna get drunk this weekend and party!'
girl 2 'oh yeah- we are going to paarty!'
girl 1 'we're gonna party like rockstars'
girl 2 'no, we're gonna redefine party like a rockstar!!'
girl 1 'oh yeah- redefine party like a rockstar!!!'

is that the most immature conversation you have ever heard? you are in vet school, people... i doubt that you get high on heroine and coke and whatever else 'rockstars' do. sooooo immature!

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned from one of my immuno professors that I probably have allergies because I didn't eat off the floor enough as a child! (But Doctor, I used to lick mud of my shoes in pre-school!) :D

this is just too stupid not to post.
so you know how everyone says vet school is like going back in time to high school? there are definitely some people in my class that act like they are in high school. i overheard two girls talking about what they were going to do in the upcoming weekend. we had a really hard week and the short conversation between them went like this...

girl 1 'i wanna get drunk this weekend and party!'
girl 2 'oh yeah- we are going to paarty!'
girl 1 'we're gonna party like rockstars'
girl 2 'no, we're gonna redefine party like a rockstar!!'
girl 1 'oh yeah- redefine party like a rockstar!!!'

is that the most immature conversation you have ever heard? you are in vet school, people... i doubt that you get high on heroine and coke and whatever else 'rockstars' do. sooooo immature!

Man I'm glad someone else feels this way about these types of convos.......I was hoping that these type didn't make their way into vet school--wishful thinkin on my part I suppose:rolleyes:

Reminds of when I am walking out of class on a Friday and I overhear people (mostly girls) talking about their Thursday night and they will say something along the lines of "Yeah so I woke up this morning after I got soooo trashed last night and there was this strange guy in my bed....*giggle giggle*" They will talk about this stuff loud enough for EVERYONE around to hear:eek: Sometimes it gets more detailed too if you know what I mean. :thumbdown:thumbdown

hmmm...maybe they should sit in on WhtsThFrequency's bacteriology class chlamydia lecture...:D

Reminds of when I am walking out of class on a Friday and I overhear people (mostly girls) talking about their Thursday night and they will say something along the lines of "Yeah so I woke up this morning after I got soooo trashed last night and there was this strange guy in my bed....*giggle giggle*" They will talk about this stuff loud enough for EVERYONE around to hear:eek: Sometimes it gets more detailed too if you know what I mean. :thumbdown:thumbdown

Man I'm glad someone else feels this way about these types of convos.......I was hoping that these type didn't make their way into vet school--wishful thinkin on my part I suppose:rolleyes:

the whole reason to talk about it is to talk loud so everyone can hear, duh. (valleygirl sarcasm)
sorry to burst your bubble but plenty of 'them' make their way into vet school. drives me, and many others, CRAZY. worst part is, some of them make better grades than i do!!! :eek:

Funniest thing I've seen in a while: a 4th-year wearing a hat that said "international boar semen."

Been wondering what sort of gifts to give this year? There you go...

I overheard some surgery resident telling some second years..."And remember...a kidney is NOT a puppy". I don't think I want to know the story behind that one!! :laugh:

the whole reason to talk about it is to talk loud so everyone can hear, duh. (valleygirl sarcasm)
sorry to burst your bubble but plenty of 'them' make their way into vet school. drives me, and many others, CRAZY. worst part is, some of them make better grades than i do!!! :eek:

I think thats a little uncalled for. Yes it may be harad for some people to take "them" intellectually seriously. But you have to be intelligent to make it into vet school, or at least be smart and have a good work ethic. But chances are they can work hard and play hard. *My* idea of playing hard isn't going downtown and getting wasted, but "those girls" that do are still smart and are usually pretty nice. If you're not judgemental about it. Give "them" a little credit and don't be so shocked if they make better grades than you.

I tend to say really dumb and immature things but do I care what people think about it? Nope. I have also heard professors say immature silly things. We're under stress and some people deal with it differently. Its how I can keep a sense of humor and stay sane. Lighten up.

And I'm not entirely trying to be rude, just making a point and I hope you can see the other side of things. Its not fair to be judgemental because of the way someone blows off steam or the way they talk or dress.

On topic.....
My favorite so far is discussions involving peanut butter and gemelli sandwiches and glottal stops.

I think thats a little uncalled for. Yes it may be harad for some people to take "them" intellectually seriously. But you have to be intelligent to make it into vet school, or at least be smart and have a good work ethic. But chances are they can work hard and play hard. *My* idea of playing hard isn't going downtown and getting wasted, but "those girls" that do are still smart and are usually pretty nice. If you're not judgemental about it. Give "them" a little credit and don't be so shocked if they make better grades than you.

I tend to say really dumb and immature things but do I care what people think about it? Nope. I have also heard professors say immature silly things. We're under stress and some people deal with it differently. Its how I can keep a sense of humor and stay sane. Lighten up.

And I'm not entirely trying to be rude, just making a point and I hope you can see the other side of things. Its not fair to be judgemental because of the way someone blows off steam or the way they talk or dress.

On topic.....
My favorite so far is discussions involving peanut butter and gemelli sandwiches and glottal stops.

I agree mostly with what you say... we are all immature and stressed at times, but when the same people are constantly talking and acting like they are in high school, then yes- i will have something to say. The main point of my post is that no matter where you go, some people still act like they are in high school. I'm not putting down the intellect of these types of girls, just their need to be heard about getting trashed and having sex with a stranger (refer to jersey's post).

Oh I can agree with you on that! I think its pretty bad to have sex with a stranger then brag about it. I guess I'm lucky enough that either a)none of my classmates do that or b)they don't advertise it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you expect? Everyone knows vet students are undersocialized and overeducated (wink wink). That's what drives me nuts about our Alpha Psi chapter....99% of it is just an opportunity to party and get wasted.

Live and let live.

Let's get back to funny quotes about chlamydia!

not Chlamydia, but from the same lecture as we continued.....

"Ok, this one used to be in the genus Rickettsieacae, but now they don't know where to stick it....well, I'm sure YOU have a few ideas about THAT..."

i'm offended. partying like a rockstar is not a bad thing.

See, when I party like a rock star, I party like Colin Meloy from the Decemberists....I dress up in an old sailor suit and run around with a guitar getting chased by a huge paper mache whale. Now that, my friends, is hard-core.

*swoon* is it wrong that I am so terribly in love with this man? Damn.....

"Dude...of course I can party! Just look at my glasses! And I sing about the Civil War and lost love and pirates and mythology!"

20060518_colin_on_floor2.JPG

Or Patrick Stump form Fall Out Boy *swoon, again*
Now this is REAL partying like a rockstar - look at those clothes, you KNOW it. And that hat, can't argue with the hat.

2017973.jpg

End Musical Hijack! Just wanted to show some real partyers, man...some really really NERDY partyers, a la moi!

i'm offended. partying like a rockstar is not a bad thing.

didn't we decide (in another thread, a long time ago) that's what i'm supposed to be doing with my free time? ;)

See, when I party like a rock star, I party like Colin Meloy from the Decemberists....I dress up in an old sailor suit and run around with a guitar getting chased by a huge paper mache whale. Now that, my friends, is hard-core.

*swoon* is it wrong that I am so terribly in love with this man? Damn.....

"Dude...of course I can party! Just look at my glasses! And I sing about the Civil War and lost love and pirates and mythology!"

Or Patrick Stump form Fall Out Boy *swoon, again*
Now this is REAL partying like a rockstar - look at those clothes, you KNOW it. And that hat, can't argue with the hat.

End Musical Hijack! Just wanted to show some real partyers, man...some really really NERDY partyers, a la moi!

O.M.G. I loved it :love: I seriously wanted to laugh out loud, and I can hardly do that when there's no one around........:)

I guess you have a "type." :p

Come on dude! The Decemberists have an ACCORDIAN!! How can you not party with an accordian!!??! Look at em, how can you not want to party like these rock stars?

decemberists_400.jpg

Oh yes, I have a type. If you are dorky and hyperliterate and indie or punk and have a goat-shivery voice and a whacked out fashion sense....I will hug you and squeeze you and lurve you to death.

Now I am going to bed to dream about petting Pat Stumps sideburns. RAWR!
ICONATOR_79f8ab893c9a45836a66ac25be858de4.gif

Lil guy got kinda chubby there for a while but he's been gettin back down to his lanky ole self recently. Oh well, more to love!
Now I really WILL stop hijacking this thread. I hope I'm at least amusing some people with my musical ramblings.

A client at work asked the other day (completey seriously) if her cat could be part squirrel because she had a fluffy tail. :laugh: She was convinced the cat had "something else" mixed in!

Come on dude! The Decemberists have an ACCORDIAN!! How can you not party with an accordian!!??! Look at em, how can you not want to party like these rock stars?

Oh yes, I have a type. If you are dorky and hyperliterate and indie or punk and have a goat-shivery voice and a whacked out fashion sense....I will hug you and squeeze you and lurve you to death.

Now I am going to bed to dream about petting Pat Stumps sideburns. RAWR!

Lil guy got kinda chubby there for a while but he's been gettin back down to his lanky ole self recently. Oh well, more to love!
Now I really WILL stop hijacking this thread. I hope I'm at least amusing some people with my musical ramblings.

hahahaha I feel like I'm hijacking this too but I can't help it! you definitely have my favorite kind of sense of humor!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A client at work asked the other day (completey seriously) if her cat could be part squirrel because she had a fluffy tail. :laugh: She was convinced the cat had "something else" mixed in!

:laugh: Too funny! Hehehe!

Not vet related but laughable nonetheless:
I was having a reflective conversation with my roommate about 9/11...

me: I think 9/11 will be one of those dates that will be associated with our generation. Seem like everyone remembers where they were when 9/11 happened. Like, with our parents and when JFK was murdered.

her: Yeah, exactly. And like our grandparents and the Civil War.

me: *momentary dumbfounded silence followed by quickly changing the subject.*

another time I walked by a group of vet students and only caught "...so don't stick a snake up your vagina." I was so perplexed but didn't want to ask so I looked it up - they can transfer chlamydia. Ta-da! It always comes back to chlamydia :)

her: Yeah, exactly. And like our grandparents and the Civil War.

Maybe she meant Pearl Harbor. They kinda sound similar...um...cuz...they both have 2 words?

That's kind of like the time I got into a huge fight with my college roommate and best friend about dolphins. I couldn't make her belive me that they were mammals. I love her to death, but um...yea, that was no good. After I'd exhausted the obvious arguments that they aren't fish--warm blooded, live birth, breathing air, nursing young--I got to the stage where my mouth was opening and no words were coming out.

Maybe she meant Pearl Harbor. They kinda sound similar...um...cuz...they both have 2 words?

That's kind of like the time I got into a huge fight with my college roommate and best friend about dolphins. I couldn't make her belive me that they were mammals. I love her to death, but um...yea, that was no good. After I'd exhausted the obvious arguments that they aren't fish--warm blooded, live birth, breathing air, nursing young--I got to the stage where my mouth was opening and no words were coming out.

When I was abroad there was a girl who not only insisted that there were six continents, but that Russia was one of them. We were like... Russia's on two continents...

Man, she was a piece of work... more stories about her (that happened in class) that contain language/subject matter not suitable for this message board... crazy...

I have had clients, yes clientS, who have brought in pet hedgehogs asking if they are real because they don't look like the cartoon 'Sonic The Hedgehog'.

Many, many other stories. I will post to this thread again sometime! Great thread!

The other day this heavily pregnant 15-16 year old came in with the family cat, because it wasn't eating or drinking and was yowling. Once we determined that her cat was in heat I was telling her that as soon as the cat was finished with her heat that she should bring her in to be spayed. She asked, "What's that?" and I said that was when we removed the uterus so that she couldn't have kittens, to which the girl asked "But then how will she pee?"

It would have been really funny except I then wondered which orifice she thought her baby was going to come from.

These quotes are hilarious. I've been giggling for ten minutes in my lab, and people are starting to look at me funny!

These quotes are hilarious. I've been giggling for ten minutes in my lab, and people are starting to look at me funny!

Not that being elderly and having hearing loss is funny, but...

The techs at the clinic do call backs for fecal samples. One client of ours is famous for being supremely hard of hearing.

Here's our half of the phone conversation...had the staff laughing

"Hi Mrs.__, this is ____ animal hospital. We have the results for Orson's fecal sample and it was negative."

"Fecal sample. It was negative."

"FECAL sample, the sample you brought in yesterday."

"No, we know Orson's not a beagle. We're calling about the FECAL sample."

"Fecal sample....FECAL SAMPLE....you know, the poop sample?"

And this point, the tech kind of gives up.. : )

"We just wanted to let you know Orson is fine."

Science nerds will appreciate this. My boyfriend emailed it to me today. Very funny. (And I guess it's kind of an ad, but it's inspired enough that you won't even care)
http://bio-rad.cnpg.com/lsca/videos/ScientistsForBetterPCR/

Lyrics:
There was a time when to amplify DNA,
You had to grow tons and tons of tiny cells.Then along came a guy named Dr. Kary Mullis,
Said you can amplify in vitro just as well.Just mix your template with a buffer and some primers,
Nucleotides and polymerases, too.
Denaturing, annealing, and extending.
Well it’s amazing what heating and cooling and heating will do.
PCR, when you need to detect mutations.
PCR, when you need to recombine.
PCR, when you need to find out who the daddy is.
PCR, when you need to solve a crime.

why didn't they show us this in intro biology? i would have memorized the process much better!

At Michigan State our professors have set up a band called Fatal Plus. They take popular songs and change the lyrics to things relevant to vet med. I think they're a hoot, and the lead singer is one of the most AWESOME profs ever! Here's a link to their site, if you click on a song, it will give you lyrics.
For example:
S. neurona to the tune of My Sharona -

Ooh, you little sarcocyst, you we detest!
You’re scarin’ equine owners coast-to-coast, neurona!
Horses that are wobble-y, it’s a mystery—
Aberrant intermediate hosts, neurona!

Hypermetric stride, weak behind,
Stumblin’ on their feet, they fall from side to side,
Atrophy, and asymmetry …
My, my, my, EPM!

Now every time I hear S. neurona, I get My Sharona in my head.
Here's the link: http://www.fatalplusband.com/S-neurona.htm

I asked my vet once why it was called "Fatal Plus", since fatal is pretty much dead and how can you be more dead. He said that that the plus was death plus a free trip to heaven.

I asked my vet once why it was called "Fatal Plus", since fatal is pretty much dead and how can you be more dead. He said that that the plus was death plus a free trip to heaven.

:laugh:

Just an observation, but fatal plus is much less viscous than buthanasia or other euthanasia solutions.

S. neurona to the tune of My Sharona

Every year in our virology class we have an assignment to make a song about our groups' assigned virus family, and get extra credit if you sing it out loud. "My Corona" was a pretty good one. My group did "Poxviridae" to the tune of "Yesterday"...

Poxviridae, a single stranded DNA
Will the lesions ever go away?
Oh, this itchy poxviridae

It goes on, but you get the idea. Fun assignment :)

Again, not vet related, but sorta.

Had this annoying gunner in p-cology who could always be counted on to raise his hand and ask a question that he would ultimately know the answer to. Sorta like a puppy that likes to hear itself bark.

The professor was getting sick and tired of his shenanigans. Went a little something like this:

Professor: And so, that covers the basic alpha and beta adrenergic response patterns during sympathetic excitement...yes, Mr. Gunner?

Gunner: Professor...so are you saying if I have an asthma attack, I can pretreat using albuterol via inhalation and the beta receptors.....

Professor: Mr. Gunner. Imagine you are standing in a dairy barn and you hear the sound of cloven hooves behind you. I don't believe it would be zebras, would you?

Gunner: Could you elaborate?

Professor: Mr. Gunner, does a bear defecate in the woods?

Again, not vet related, but sorta.

Had this annoying gunner in p-cology who could always be counted on to raise his hand and ask a question that he would ultimately know the answer to. Sorta like a puppy that likes to hear itself bark.

The professor was getting sick and tired of his shenanigans. Went a little something like this:

Professor: And so, that covers the basic alpha and beta adrenergic response patterns during sympathetic excitement...yes, Mr. Gunner?

Gunner: Professor...so are you saying if I have an asthma attack, I can pretreat using albuterol via inhalation and the beta receptors.....

Professor: Mr. Gunner. Imagine you are standing in a dairy barn and you hear the sound of cloven hooves behind you. I don't believe it would be zebras, would you?

Gunner: Could you elaborate?

Professor: Mr. Gunner, does a bear defecate in the woods?

There has to be one of those in every class ...

So there we were, all 150 of us in for "Principles of Meat Science"

The prof is doing the intro/short lecture on the first day and offered the rest of the lecture time as a Q&A about the class and it's associated lab.

He starts off by this statement: "I recognize that in today's day and age, there are probably many of you that have never been to a farm and are unaware of exactly how, where, and what happens to your food on it's way from farm to fork. In this class, we will explore what happens to food animals-that is, animals used AS or FOR the production of food for human consumption-on their journey."

[pause while flipping a few ppt slides]

From the middle of the lecture hall: "so, like, um, where DOES meat come from?"

Prof: "well, beef comes from cows, chicken from chickens, etc."

MLH: "wait, you mean, like, ground beef is COW?"

Prof: "Where else would it come from?"

MLH: "doesn't the butcher like mix some powder with water and then put it through the pasta noodle thingy?"

[snickers from all the AGR and other farm related attendees]

Prof: <shakes head in disbelief> "um, no. Meat is not a *powder* Perhaps you should rethink your registration for this elective?"

Later, during the Q&A:

Prof: "I respect that in a class this size, there are probably students who for whatever reason do not ingest meat or other animal products. However, as this class is PRINCIPLES OF MEAT, I repeat MEAT science, you WILL be REQUIRED to ATTEND and PARTICIPATE in all labs, including activities such as beef carcass processing, poultry product use/preparation, and sausage making. All SLAUGHTER labs are OPTIONAL for EVERYONE."

Dumba$$ from the back of the lecture hall: "So, um, does this mean we will have to TOUCH *gasps horribly* MEAT?"

Prof just stared at her.

another time I walked by a group of vet students and only caught "...so don't stick a snake up your vagina." I was so perplexed but didn't want to ask so I looked it up - they can transfer chlamydia. Ta-da! It always comes back to chlamydia :)
I guess you don't "hear" on the internet, but I think of reading posts as "talking" since that's mostly how I communicate with my family while I'm on the island.

Anyway, way back when I first started "VINning" I over(read?)heard the following "well, that's what you get for working so hard, I mean, all it takes is one pine cone" Which had me wondering how to connect environmentalism or tree reproduction/reforestation with vet med...

until I looked it up and lo and behold, someone had spent weeks (or at least it seemed like weeks) of effort, time, emotion, money, energy, etc to save an agonal/DOA/DRT/can't-believe-it's-still-breathing dog only to discharge the animal home and then have it killed by a falling pine cone-vs-open fontanelle while defecating in its well-fenced backyard.

Almost forgot:

Caught my former boss DANCING and SINGING in surgery "Slooooooow motion Walter, the fire engine guy" to "Fire In the Sky"

and later that same ex-lap
" I've got two chickens with parrot lice, gonna pick them off they look like rice" instead of "I've got two tickets to paradise, gonna pack my bags and leave tonight"

While working as a receptionist in a vet clinic, a lady maybe early 20's came in and was concerned because her cat was small compared to her friends cats.. I asked if she had the cat seen by a vet and she said yes, the doctors always said her cat was perfectly healthy. She then asks, dead serious, if her cat would grow bigger if she got a bigger apartment, because her current apartment is quite small. You know, like fish that get bigger in bigger aquariums.

In a note from a boarder...

"here are our emergency numbers for while we are away. can we get fluffy spaded while she's here?"

actually written out as "spaded"

There was a receptionist at my clinic who would answer the phone ".... .... Veterinarian Hospital" until someone asked her where they could take their dog while the vet was busy treating all the veterinarians.

This person also wrote out "spaded" (thankfully not in an animal's medical records though).

Bless his little heart (you southern women know you can say anything about anyone as long as you say "bless her/his little heart") my dad, the one who started this whole veterinary adventure by instilling the love of food animas and food animal medicine in me, frequently complains his broodmares or broodcows have mastitits.

He also just emailed me to say that my 6yo stallion "whickers at the fillies when they're in heat and peeing next to his stall" (he has a super duper palace stall that shares it' backwall with our indoor arena)

I'm like, yeah, um, so he's a 6 yo stallion, that's the equivalent of a horny 18 yo teenage boy!....and I'm 4700 miles from home. Whadda ya want me to do about it? Hold your laptop up to his face and I'll type him a very stern message threatening to take away his Peeps. Here's a thought, turn him out in the infield during morning workouts and then turn the yearling fillies out on the other side of the farm. lol.

I guess you don't "hear" on the internet, but I think of reading posts as "talking" since that's mostly how I communicate with my family while I'm on the island.

Anyway, way back when I first started "VINning" I over(read?)heard the following "well, that's what you get for working so hard, I mean, all it takes is one pine cone" Which had me wondering how to connect environmentalism or tree reproduction/reforestation with vet med...

until I looked it up and lo and behold, someone had spent weeks (or at least it seemed like weeks) of effort, time, emotion, money, energy, etc to save an agonal/DOA/DRT/can't-believe-it's-still-breathing dog only to discharge the animal home and then have it killed by a falling pine cone-vs-open fontanelle while defecating in its well-fenced backyard.

Yes, one of our professors told us about this dog that came in that was extremely sick. After a long and laborful diagnosis and stabilization they ended up giving the dog a kidney transplant. It was a pretty big deal and involved transplant MDs from the medical hospital. The surgery was a huge success, but the dog ended up going home and getting hit by a car.

Freshman year of college, I took this career explorations in medicine class and this reconstruction (human) surgeon gave a talk on how it's kind of like a mix of plastic surgery and orthopedics. He told us about this one case he had where this guy tried to commit suicide by placing a sawed off shotgun under his chin and firing. Well, somehow the guy ended up not dying, but he pretty much blew his face off. After over two years and over a dozen very extensive reconstructive surgeries to make him look "almost human again" (in the words of the surgeon), the guy ODs on pills and dies. :rolleyes: