Foreing Veterinary Graduates preparing for NAVLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usermycaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just pass on BCSE and I am taking NAVLE in April any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a foreign graduate and I gonna take the BSCE soon,Can you tell me the best way to study

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I am also preparing to take the NAVLE in April. I am not sure if you are interested in having a study partner. I am currently looking for a study partner. Available to study via Skype, Mon-Wed and Fri 8:30am -11:30am EST including weekends. Please let me know. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vetprep is your friend. Expensive yes but helpful.

thanks Angelo I already got VETPREP, and you are absolutely right, I got ZUKU review for BCSE and now for NAVLE I wanted to try vetprep, I heard good things about it is really good as far training you to answer questions and review at the same time, but I dont know If they are really similar to the ones in the actual NAVLE, is hard to believe, although in my opinion it doesnt have to be, because If you learn a CONCEPT you can answer different questions about it and still get the right answer, is so true that I just experienced that with BCSE and ZUKU review which really helped me but honestly the questions in the actual test were far from similar quite different, nevertheless I was still able to answer because I was asked that in a different way in the zuku. But anyways you had the same experience with VETPREP or the questions were really close to the real thing?

Hi. I am also preparing to take the NAVLE in April. I am not sure if you are interested in having a study partner. I am currently looking for a study partner. Available to study via Skype, Mon-Wed and Fri 8:30am -11:30am EST including weekends. Please let me know. Thank you.

I never tried to have a study partner, I've been in this road solo, but I am glad to try and see If works for me, but maybe thats what I need now cause after studying for BCSE and now having to just keep going to take NAVLE plus I am finishing my research and thesis, so it kind start to get overwhelming actually, so maybe having somebody to support and push you it would be something that could help us both, the only problem is the time that you suggested I may be able to do on weekends in the morning and maybe some days of the week, but most days of the week it would be better for me around evening. here is my email [email protected], send me a email with your phone and we can see what can be arranged...

see ya

I'm a foreign graduate and I gonna take the BSCE soon,Can you tell me the best way to study

first question are you already register for BCSE or completed step 2
(pass TOEFL)?, cause If not its a long..long...way till you have to worry about that
Now If you are your question is the most asked question, no dough is the Golden question, unfortunately there is no answer for it, because there is no best way, truly are may ways to study for, I know personally about 12 people that got through ECVFG and each one of them did something different, or used different sources and none of them could answer me the same question you are asking, all they could say is here what I've done.....it worked for me..they would say.....
Bottom Line there are TONS of source materials out there, videos, books...etc..etc.. So HERE WHAT I'VE DONE
I used all the guide to clinics (Pasquini BOOKS)- They ROCK..in my opinion, some people dont like them, The reasons why I like( HAve everything that you have to study as far as clinics, simple well explained, CONCISE which I consider essential I am sorry but no one has time to read 10 books that have 2000 pages although they might be excellent, they are also CHEAP, POrtable)
I BOUGHT NVMS books I read partially LArge animal and I read all Small animal, They are good a little more description than Pasquini , But not a good review more like a lit more info for the CPE maybe they would come in hand in my opinion
I find essential to get a question bank (zuku/vet prep both good, but zuku has questions specially for BCSE), I mean essential, you must train to answer questions, remember the test not only test your knowledge but your clarity, interpretation and speed..speed...
also there are many web sites with sources...

http://hsl.lib.umn.edu/vetmed/help/online-veterinary-resources
http://www.elib4vet.com/forums/8-Basic-Veterinary-eBooks
http://www.futurevows.com/index_files/NAVLE.htm
http://www.medvet.umontreal.ca/clinpath/banq-im/menuE.htm
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/Diseases_Of_Poultry
http://www.thepigsite.com/diseaseinfo/
http://www.iacuc.msu.edu/training/principles_of_surgery/surgery_suture.htm
http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/index.htm
http://vetvideos.com/

Here are some, but there are many more, also sometimes you can watch stuff on you tube, specially exams such as laminitis..etc In fact there is too much stuff don't get lost select what is simple, clean, concise, the hardest part for me was to gather these materials and select what was useful, because you cant read every book, every review..etc..anyway the other forum foreing veterinary graduates have a lot more info, you should post there instead, this post is for NAVLE so we are bit ahead, but there you will find more people in the same situation, and there is 30 pages of post and replies If you go back and read it you can find a lot more info...

hope it helps

good luck

Reactions: 1 user
In an effort to begin a formal study group in Orange and Los Angeles County, I have begun a meetup.com group. You can find the group at:

http://www.meetup.com/Orange-L-A-County-NAVLE-Study-Group/

If you're interested in joining a study group for this upcoming NAVLE in April 2012. We will set up meet ups as per the requests of the members.

Please join, it's free to you and we can begin studying hard for this up coming test so we can PASS!!!

Last edited:
The navle questions were much longer then the vetprep ones. However I found that often I could just read the last sentence of the question to answer the question. Ie the long involved question gave a case and the the last sentance said having diagnosed x you would treat with ? So you save a lot of time by just reading the last piece and then going back if you need more info.

The navle questions were much longer then the vetprep ones. However I found that often I could just read the last sentence of the question to answer the question. Ie the long involved question gave a case and the the last sentance said having diagnosed x you would treat with ? So you save a lot of time by just reading the last piece and then going back if you need more info.

, that is an excellent strategy, you are right a lot of times most of bla..bla.. is dispensable to answer a question, and you can lose a lot of precious time reading unimportant info in those long questions that tells you a whole story that is basically putting the icing on the cake...and If you feel like you need more info you can always come back and read it...excellent advice

many thanks

Hello!
I think that would be an excellent idea for studying. The timing would be perfect for my schedule, please feel free to email me at [email protected], so we can discuss when to start!

Hi,

I am planing to take NAVLE in Dec '12. If you interested to study together please contact me.

Cheers!

I just pass on BCSE and I am taking NAVLE in April any advice?
hello
I just get started to pass the 4 step exam and i belive the first chalenge is BCSE
any information about t he books and what to study and how to start?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am getting ready to pass IELTS exam and the applying to join the ECFVG or PAVE programs.
which one do you thinck I should take?the BCSE or QE?
cheers

even i m preparing for that.....we can be study parteners...my skype id is nitingautam2010..add me..best of luck..

In an effort to begin a formal study group in Orange and Los Angeles County, I have begun a meetup.com group. You can find the group at:

http://www.meetup.com/Orange-L-A-County-NAVLE-Study-Group/

If you're interested in joining a study group for this upcoming NAVLE in April 2012. We will set up meet ups as per the requests of the members.

Please join, it's free to you and we can begin studying hard for this up coming test so we can PASS!!!
preparing for NAVLE in november 2012 want if any one can guide what are the best source like lot of u have been mentioning vet prep.

Last edited:
I will do NAVLE for Nov-Dec 2012. Please email me if you will go for it, too. Hopefully I will find some study partner. I live in NJ, close to NYC. My email is [email protected]

hi guys, i passed the ecfvg program and navle as well. it isnt easy, but it is far from impossible. just keep studying and dont let anybody or any failure to stop you from achieving what you really want. so keep on doing and keep on dreaming!
lots of people ask and it was one of my biggest concern what to use to study from. for bcse and navle i used the nvms series, small animals, large animals, surgery, pharmacology, to review everything the vcrc books. for the cpe you will need a little bit more, when you get there focus on the manual they will provide you, that is what you will be asked. i used the internet as a great resource of information and videos to complete my studies. good luck to everybody
by the way i am selling the vcrc (veterinary correspondence revision course)series, 5 books plus one volume quiz and questions. [email protected], let me know if anybody interested

hi, i´m gonna take my basic test too... I am veterinary from brazil, i new two friends of mine that pass for all the test and they are working in usa.
I´ve been working with small animals form many years in public campaings of neutering and inhalation anesthesia. i was in interneship in a public colleage in sao paulo. i like cattle, horses, and exotic but they are for far my weakness point.
if any of you are intersting in share study information about the exam, please let me know my e mail [email protected]

thanks in advantage

i was thinking to try the ecvfg because you can act in all the states of usa, however Pave is recognize now in 38 jurisdiction include california, ny, texas and others you can go to their page http://www.aavsb.org/PAVE/ and check about all the states... PAVe also requires some others things beside your documentation that you are veterinary in other state
Application to PAVE also includes registration with AAVSB's Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA) which provides a centralized, uniform process for state and provincial licensing authorities to obtain a primary source record of a veterinarian's credentials. The service maintains information about veterinarians in the areas listed below:
• Identifying Documents
• Education & Training Background
• English Language Proficiency
• Professional Examination History
• Employment History
• License Verification
i don´t know how your experiences could cont... if you have a great curricula you will be more prone to pass? or just to they know your skills? if you don´t have practice or some experience in one field it could be a problem? i don´t know...
but they have in their site also "PAVE candidates will not receive an authorization letter for the Qualifying Examination unless they have successfully completed at least 50% of their veterinary curriculum, submitted all required credentials documents and completed the English proficiency requirement."
i don´t know how much is necessary to pass 50 % of your curricula.. do anyone know? someone that have been pass the test? anyotherwise if your school is not certificate for the avma you must take a chance in pave...
my conclusion is:

PAVE : if you have a real good curricula and some teacher that can send you a recomendation letter etc... if you are pos doc ... i think it will be less expensive and easier apply to pave, ah and also if your school aren´t recognize by avma, i think it will be your only choice, so try hard to improve your curricula.another important question is about where you wanna to act , some states don´t accept pave so check out.
ECVFG:if you are not sure about your curricula and if you wanna work in all the states get ecvfg
Well in the ecfvg they only ask that you are gratuated in a creditate school, in their site avama they have all the school that are recognize you must check that before aplly. some perosn siad that ecvfg is more expensive and harder... well i don´t know anyone that made the both test give us a real feeling about that....
have a good luck in your tests
ps
actually my intention was do the ecvfg,

I have a question , what's after PAVE or ECFVG ??
What are the opportunities to work in the states, ?
is there any further training needed before practice ?
Is there further degrees like master or what ever ?

Hi everyone, I'm taking the BSCE this summer and there is an important question I didn't see to be discussed. Is the BSCE juste a smaller NAVLE or there are specific topics or matter to study? VetPrep present it self for NAVLE study, Zuku has an specific section for BSCE. Should I choise Zuku for the BSCE instead of VetPrep???

Hi everyone who is preparing for navle. I would like to join a study group. If anybody interested in joining, please let me know. Thank you.