Florida schools - interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
QofQuimica said:
That's the beauty of the WS section. It's mainly a test to see if you can follow directions. You can interpret the statement to mean whatever you want, as long as you complete the tasks. They don't really care what your opinion is. ;)

I agree :D :laugh:

Too bad it doesn't have much worth!!!!! :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

The USF essay actually says to write about a page to a page and a half I believe

Good morning everyone. Just got a call this morning from the University of Florida, and have an interview on 9/9.

Members don't see this ad :)
greendot said:
Good morning everyone. Just got a call this morning from the University of Florida, and have an interview on 9/9.

Congratulations. :D

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good luck!!!!

greendot said:

That's an awesome way to start the week! :D

Congrats! :clap:

Just got The call From UF.....Im on 9/9 also :)

Greendot- Congrats! You are working your way towards a Florida sweep.

My status changed at UM this morning to "ranked list", which isnt that interesting, but served to scare me awake when I saw something different on the page. This is definitely a great way to get an ulcer.

unfrozencaveman said:
My status changed at UM this morning to "ranked list", which isnt that interesting, but served to scare me awake when I saw something different on the page. This is definitely a great way to get an ulcer.

That has got to be a great sign!!!! :clap: I would love to be on a "ranked list" alas they have not received my picture yet. :(

jj08 said:
That has got to be a great sign!!!! :clap: I would love to be on a "ranked list" alas they have not received my picture yet. :([/QUOTE)

Actually Miami just puts your picture on hotornot.com and uses the rating on your picture to determine your ranking.

unfrozencaveman said:
jj08 said:
That has got to be a great sign!!!! :clap: I would love to be on a "ranked list" alas they have not received my picture yet. :([/QUOTE)

Actually Miami just puts your picture on hotornot.com and uses the rating on your picture to determine your ranking.

:laugh:

Okay, well I as long as I get something from them!

bwells46 said:
Nope and they've had all my stuff for about 3 - 4 weeks.

Awesome. Congrats. Have you heard from the other Fl. schools yet?????? :clap: :clap:

QofQuimica said:
I think that USF is just trying to get a sense of who you are and what your background is like. It's good if you have a common theme, because otherwise your essay won't be very unified (it's like MCAT WS all over again, isn't it??? ;) ) I tried to give them some insight into my family members and myself, including our personalities, our relationships with one another, and how this has influenced our career choices, all of which are health related. My essay was about a page. Hope this helps. :luck:

Thanks Q! :D

That was a very thoughtful post! I just don't know how to carry a theme through my essay when I have to discuss hobbies and education in one essay! :mad: I couldn't possibly say that earning an education was a hobby (yuck). I'm just stuck. :(

gujuDoc said:
Awesome. Congrats. Have you heard from the other Fl. schools yet?????? :clap: :clap:

Not yet. UF gave me an interview last year even though I didn't apply until December so I'm guessing they'll give me one at some point this year since I've improved my application.

I'm still waiting to hear back from FSU and Miami to see if they've received all my stuff to complete my file.

Members don't see this ad :)
bschmit said:

Hey greendot and bschmit, looks like i'll be seeing you 2 on the 9th as well. Holy crap, thats a week and a half away...

DrMike24 said:
Hey greendot and bschmit, looks like i'll be seeing you 2 on the 9th as well. Holy crap, thats a week and a half away...

Cool, I'll see you both there. Maybe we can have dinner the night before or something.

bschmit said:

When was your app complete? Anyone with one can answer this question.

Thanx and congrats!

jj08 said:
Thanks Q! :D

That was a very thoughtful post! I just don't know how to carry a theme through my essay when I have to discuss hobbies and education in one essay! :mad: I couldn't possibly say that earning an education was a hobby (yuck). I'm just stuck. :(

Maybe this will help: if you had to pick a theme that describes your entire family, what would it be? (Note: this should be a *positive* theme; you don't want USF to think you are like the Addams family. ;) ) It's hard for me to give you specific advice, since I don't know you at all, but here are some possible ideas:

-What kinds of things do you like to do as a family? Do you take trips together? Maybe talk about how you all like to travel and go on adventures. Do you and your family play board games? Read and discuss books? Volunteer for secular or religious charities? Get involved in politics? Whatever activity it is that you all enjoy together would be a good unifying theme.
-Are you a multi-generational native Floridian? Did you grow up in the same small town, attend the same high school as your parents, have the same teachers? You could try approaching it from that angle then.
-Are you a member of a distinct ethnic or cultural group (ex. Hispanic, Jewish, Indian, etc.) whose customs have played an important role for your family? You can describe how you blend together your own culture with the broader American culture that you grew up in.
-If you want to talk about education specifically, try to approach it from a family perspective. Are you the first family member to go to college let alone medical school? Or conversely, will you be a fifth generation physician? Either of those would be interesting things to dicuss.

Whatever angle you choose, start writing things as you think of them, and don't worry at first about whether your essay is any good. Just get the ideas down first, and then go back and edit later. I always find that I end up editing my essays from start to finish, often several times, but the key to getting the ideas to flow is to actually sit there and start writing something, anything, down rather than sitting there staring at a blank piece of paper. Good luck. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
Maybe this will help: if you had to pick a theme that describes your entire family, what would it be? (Note: this should be a *positive* theme; you don't want USF to think you are like the Addams family. ;) ) It's hard for me to give you specific advice, since I don't know you at all, but here are some possible ideas:

-What kinds of things do you like to do as a family? Do you take trips together? Maybe talk about how you all like to travel and go on adventures. Do you and your family play board games? Read and discuss books? Volunteer for secular or religious charities? Get involved in politics? Whatever activity it is that you all enjoy together would be a good unifying theme.
-Are you a multi-generational native Floridian? Did you grow up in the same small town, attend the same high school as your parents, have the same teachers? You could try approaching it from that angle then.
-Are you a member of a distinct ethnic or cultural group (ex. Hispanic, Jewish, Indian, etc.) whose customs have played an important role for your family? You can describe how you blend together your own culture with the broader American culture that you grew up in.
-If you want to talk about education specifically, try to approach it from a family perspective. Are you the first family member to go to college let alone medical school? Or conversely, will you be a fifth generation physician? Either of those would be interesting things to dicuss.

Whatever angle you choose, start writing things as you think of them, and don't worry at first about whether your essay is any good. Just get the ideas down first, and then go back and edit later. I always find that I end up editing my essays from start to finish, often several times, but the key to getting the ideas to flow is to actually sit there and start writing something, anything, down rather than sitting there staring at a blank piece of paper. Good luck. :luck:

My favorite SDNer :love:

Thanks Q! You are the best! I'll just add more stuff to the train wreck that is currently called my USF secondary. I think I am going to try to work the education angle since my parents pushed education on me like a lactating breast to a crying baby.

rtmcad2319 said:

Thanx and congrats!

I was complete with them 7/28

rtmcad2319 said:

Thanx and congrats!

My app was complete on 8/16

greendot said:
My app was complete on 8/16

Thanx! I just received my interview invite too. Sweet!! 9/9 huh, next week? Ok now I'm nervous.

rtmcad2319 said:
Thanx! I just received my interview invite too. Sweet!! 9/9 huh, next week? Ok now I'm nervous.

Congratulations!! So now there are four SDNers that have UF interviews on the 9th? Not Bad.

Congrats to all of you all who got your interview invites to UF and USF or to both for that matter.

Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear!!!!!!!!

Arsenic810 said:
i dont know about tampa, but miami can be crazy... its gettting worst too with the way the traffic problems grow every year

just wanted to let you know guys that i dont think miami starts interviewing until mid september

Arsenic,

When does Miami start to give out interviews??

Thanx.

Arsenic810 said:
i just sent an email to the admissions office to find out for you guys, i'll let you know as soon as they respond :D

Thanx A LOT!

Recieved Invite for UF interview today at about 10:30 am by phone for 9/16! Yeah I'm so excited!

I was complete on 8/12 at UF.

Congrats everyone!

I had to reschedule my interview for the 16th so looks like I wont be meeting the greendot, bschmit, or rtmcad2319 unless we matriculate at UF. But I'll see ya there Kleintje! And I was complete the 12th as well.

I hope Miami starts notices soon. I'm dying here . . .

I too had to reschedule my interview for the 16th. 9:15- 5 pm, now that's a long day!

Those of you with UF interviews.....Are you staying with a current med student or a hotel? Just wondering Thanx.

Someone posted a response to my questoin about staying with med students that UF will send you info about that when they email you about the interview...thats what I would like to do. speaking of, have any of you interviewees received it? Jeez... I didnt realize we would be there for so long...

DrMike24 said:
Someone posted a response to my questoin about staying with med students that UF will send you info about that when they email you about the interview...thats what I would like to do. speaking of, have any of you interviewees received it? Jeez... I didnt realize we would be there for so long...

I received it this morning. It isn't a list, but a contact number of a MS2 who coordinates it. I emailed him a little while ago saying that I wanted to stay with a student host, so we'll see how it goes.

greendot said:
I received it this morning. It isn't a list, but a contact number of a MS2 who coordinates it. I emailed him a little while ago saying that I wanted to stay with a student host, so we'll see how it goes.

Do you think you could forward on what you received? I am going to call Robyn tomorrow but just in case...
Also, Rel called me today from USF...interviewing on Oct 3!

DrMike24 said:
Do you think you could forward on what you received? I am going to call Robyn tomorrow but just in case...

Woohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!! I knew you'd get the interviews from the FL schools, after looking at your awesome profile. :D

DrMike24 said:

Yeah, no problem. I PM'd you for your email address.

Arsenic810 said:
No problem! The Miami admissions office will begin interviewing people in late September. good luck guys!

The actual interviews take place at the end of september? So I should start having a heart attack everytime the phone rings, now-ish?

I think I read somewhere that they will email you about the interview.

Any one know for sure if they call or email?

baby4you said:
I think I read somewhere that they will email you about the interview.

Any one know for sure if they call or email?

I think you're right about email. That's what it says on my status page.

gujuDoc said:
Woohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!! I knew you'd get the interviews from the FL schools, after looking at your awesome profile. :D

Thanks so much gujuDoc, i really appreciate it!
unfrozencaveman, can you post a link for the um status page?
and thanks greendot, for the letter.

unfrozencaveman said:
I think you're right about email. That's what it says on my status page.

I think you are right as well, because one of A-man's classmates, who I know......told me she got her acceptance and all via email, way back when she was applying.

gujuDoc said:
I think you are right as well, because one of A-man's classmates, who I know......told me she got her acceptance and all via email, way back when she was applying.

for the interview invite and the acceptance/denial decision they actually contact you both ways. first by email and then you receive a packet/letter in the regular mail a few days later.

Arsenic810 said:
for the interview invite and the acceptance/denial decision they actually contact you both ways. first by email and then you receive a packet/letter in the regular mail a few days later.

Ahhhhhh Sort of like MCAT scores. ;) ;)

Arsenic810 said:
i escape the mcat forum for one post and you come back at me with an mcat reply :laugh:

The irony. But no, I was actually referring to the way they have the scores online, and then something in the mail later on with scores. It was sorta analogous for the situation we were describing.

But, quite ironical, if I shouldn't say so for myself. :laugh: :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
The irony. But no, I was actually referring to the way they have the scores online, and then something in the mail later on with scores. It was sorta analogous for the situation we were describing.

But, quite ironical, if I shouldn't say so for myself. :laugh: :laugh:

i know what you meant, its just funny how you managed to slip that 4 letter word into the reply ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.