PhD/PsyD Florida Postdoc Training Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oll519

Reaction score
Hello, I am a current intern and secured a postdoc for the upcoming training year in Florida. The postdoc will be 40 hours a week at a community mental health facility. Additionally, I was asked by a local private practice if I would be interested in supplementing my income by seeing a few patients on the weekends under the supervision of one of their licensed psychologists. I have been reading over the Florida laws and it appears that if I used the title of "psychology resident" at the private practice and received regular supervision, I would be able to do this. I am wondering if anyone knows of any other legal/ethical areas I am not considering.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a current intern and secured a postdoc for the upcoming training year in Florida. The postdoc will be 40 hours a week at a community mental health facility. Additionally, I was asked by a local private practice if I would be interested in supplementing my income by seeing a few patients on the weekends under the supervision of one of their licensed psychologists. I have been reading over the Florida laws and it appears that if I used the title of "psychology resident" at the private practice and received regular supervision, I would be able to do this. I am wondering if anyone knows of any other legal/ethical areas I am not considering.
Speaking broadly and off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would be wrong with this situation, assuming the clients/patients are informed of your status and your postdoc site is aware that you're doing it. Although when in doubt, you could always try calling the board (and hoping someone answers).

There are potential factors on the billing side, but that's up to the practice to manage (unless they're also expecting you to handle your own billing, which I doubt).

Speaking broadly and off the top of my head, I can't think of anything that would be wrong with this situation, assuming the clients/patients are informed of your status and your postdoc site is aware that you're doing it. Although when in doubt, you could always try calling the board (and hoping someone answers).

There are potential factors on the billing side, but that's up to the practice to manage (unless they're also expecting you to handle your own billing, which I doubt).
Thank you so much! I did not know it was an option to call the board so I will try that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I did not know it was an option to call the board so I will try that.
Sure thing. Calling generally works better than emailing with most boards. The person may not know the answer off-hand, but they should hopefully at least get your contact info so they can get back to you.

I would recommend asking your post-doc site as well - sometimes there are restrictions. I say this because at my VA post-doc, I am not allowed to engage in outside clinical work, and that is written in to my contract.