Flinders Interview 2012 Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No they don't have motors. Think of a push scooter with one massive wheel and one smaller one (at least that's what I think it is...I've seen a few of them)

Members don't see this ad.

yeah rayjay is right.. no motors.. the front wheel is same size as a bicycle wheel and back wheel is smaller.. I think they are much easier to maneuver in crowds than bicycles and way more fun:)

Riiiiiiight. Never heard of them then! Maybe you can be a trend setter :p

Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys saying those who commence in 2012 will graduate with MD?

Congrats to those with interviews and even further congrats to those who already got their offers and are deciding to come to Flinders! (Geez, I haven't been on SDN for ages ^__^). We boast the most awesome medical student family because 2nd years eat the most first year medical students alive =D. Nah, we're really friendly. We have a ton of events and student organizations and we're fairly active in involving students (yes we're recruiting students for the FMSS this early, as I'm the first year rep). We're also passing around 100 gigabytes of textbooks (I'm not going to put forth any names, such as my own), past exams, and past learning objectives (Shh! Don't tell anyone!), so bring a removable hard drive. No it's not bribery!

As for the MD, we're discussing it right now in our student meetings, actually. As you guys may know, Dr. Tony Edwards is retiring this year (We're throwing him a farewell lunch tomorrow) and there's quite a lot of new staff members in Flinders to replace the previous generation. A lot of students are against it because the name itself will fire up tuition costs, but it is no different from BMBS/MBBS other than in name, plus it gets pretty confusing because MD means something different than MD back in America. Look at what happened to UniMelb. =/

For those of you guys with questions regarding on-campus accommodations, feel free to fire me a PM. Don't go for the FMC flats. I've lived there and it's a craphole. I found that out when it was too late.

Thanks Raigon. PM'd you about some stuff.

For those of you looking for housing the link I posted up is SWEET. It allows you to search by proximity to campus. The only downside is a lot of listing don't have pictures which turns me off a bit but maybe that's just the way things are done down under.

If anyone is looking into housing stuff I'd be happy to hear suggestions/info since as of yesterday I officially paid my deposit so I'm 100% going at this point.

thanks for your input raigon. cockroaches are gross, so will definitely not be living there. Just submitted my app for the townhouses.. hopefully I get that.

also side q: is it true the laptops you buy in oz are only set to play australian region dvd's?

also side q: is it true the laptops you buy in oz are only set to play australian region dvd's?

You can get various software (some free) that can remove the region-restriction. Your current laptop probably plays NTSC format DVDs, whereas that part of the world (correct me if I'm wrong someone) plays PAL format DVDs. Like I said there are various programs you can install that remove the restriction from your computer with regard to playing DVDs. There are also ways to get the paid version free...but I won't sully SDN forums with that info :p

For what it's worth, if you're coming from the US buy your laptop there. It's going to be cheaper.

for example: a 15in MacBook Pro costs $1799 USD versus $2099 AUD which converts to roughly $2200 USD...you can buy some netbooks and lower end laptops for that amount of the difference.

My friend is in Queensland and he said it was cheaper for his brother to buy it in Canada (in Alberta since our tax is only 4.5%) and ship it to him than it was for him to buy it outright in Oz.

Just my opinion

I dont think mine was longer than 30-45 minutes...although it felt like 10 minutes so my estimate might be a little off. They scheduled about 5 people on the same day as me though so I don't think the interviews are that long.
1. explain the scenario
2. chit chat
3. another scenario
4. chit chat
5. another scenario
6. chit chat/questions

I dont think mine was longer than 30-45 minutes...although it felt like 10 minutes so my estimate might be a little off. They scheduled about 5 people on the same day as me though so I don't think the interviews are that long.
1. explain the scenario
2. chit chat
3. another scenario
4. chit chat
5. another scenario
6. chit chat/questions

That's basically correct. 30-45 minutes on average, but mine took a bit longer. Then again, I did a video interview instead of flying overseas like I was supposed to.

Be sure for any people who still have yet to interview to take a look at past interview questions!

http://pagingdr.net/forum/index.php?topic=780.0

There's even a post by yours truly. ^_- Be sure to consider questions such as "Why Australia?" and "Why Flinders?" I got surprised the frig out of me when I got asked those 2 questions even though it was supposed to have been pretty obvious they were going to ask us that.

thanks for your input raigon. cockroaches are gross, so will definitely not be living there. Just submitted my app for the townhouses.. hopefully I get that.

I love the townhouses, actually. They're really lovely and close to school, which is more important! And it provides internet (though you have to pay for it yourself).

Australia has pretty poor internet planning, and instead of getting unlimited like you may get back home, you have to pay monthly by download amount. And worst of all, Adelaide, especially places close to uni, are very inconvenient internet-wise because the ports are mostly taken and the other ones are in the city, which makes it VERY hard to install.

But there's good news: In previous years, the school set a download limit of 32mb a day (to discourage students from playing WoW and streaming videos while we're supposed to be good little boys and girls studying all day), but we students fought for a greater usage (we need youtube and we need to watch Scrubs, House, Grey's, and ER! Where else do you think we get our motivation to study medicine and come up with our great interview answers?) and had our school upgrade to unlimited. So if you want to download stuff and don't mind staying a bit later at uni (which will be great if you live on campus), then I'd suggest just using the school internet instead of installing your own (unless you're really desperate, live really far away, or are just a home-bound person). Again, another reason why you should join the FMSS (okay, 2 times is really enough, isn't it? But we work really hard and all we ask in return is that you donate a buttload of money and memorize our names. :rolleyes:)

I agree with Rayjay that it's probably cheaper to buy stuff back in the United States or Canada than actually buying them in Oz. Things are pretty expensive here, but with minimum wage at 14 dollars (though most people complain at any job less than 20) an hour, well, everything else here is pretty much self-explanatory.

Yeah, the stuff here is pretty much region-restricted, so are the computers. The outlets here are different and most people forget that. So be sure to get an adapter and voltage converter or else your charger will burn right out like it did mine (poor me).

For people still undergoing the interview: My own interview took about 60 minutes (but it was probably because skype was getting a bit screwy and they couldn't see my white board when I had to present the scenario, had to switch to paper, and finally they gave up and switched to a telephone conference, where they just had me read me my flow chart out loud). I was surprised I made it in after that fiasco (Did I mention I said I looked handsome in the beginning of the interview? What?! I was nervous. I didn't know what to say =P), but the admissions committee is actually pretty fair. And I was the only person in my whole cohort who chose to do a video interview because I didn't want to waste any money on plane tickets, but I still got in! And I got my offer one week later, so don't be discouraged if you're doing a video/telephone interview! You have as much of a chance as people who do normal interviews!

The story is probably more encouraging to people who choose to do a video interview. And probably pissed off people who spent a few hundred dollars to fly interstate/internationally... whoops. Now Flinders will blame me if everyone decided to do video interviews after that so they don't have to book flights. Then again I'm saving the med school a lot of money they would've normally spent on travel by posting this... so... :laugh:

P.S. I've organized for a Kaplan representative via FMSS to come over to Flinders this September to come speak with our students on preparing for the USMLE and residency back in the states for med students studying at Flinders or Australian medical school in general if anyone's interested. We've also organized a student panel consisting of 2nd and 3rd year students to speak about their experience and answer any questions. I want to get a basic idea of how many internationals will be interested so we know if we want to organize the event next year as well. Do you guys think you'd find it useful if we organized it for you as well?

Last edited:
YES!

I think these things should be done every year for the international population, whatever the size. The vast majority of international students will arrive in Australia with an initial intention of heading back home. Whether that changes over the course of their studies is a different matter but I still think it's important to have these.

Ps. The townhouses you mentioned, are those the FMC townhouses on the same website that lists the FMC Bedsits (meant mainly for visiting elective students, etc.) or by townhouses did you mean Deirdre Jordan Village townhouses? The latter looks really nice, especially since if I remember Dr. Edwards correctly he said it's quite close to the med school

Regarding the pics rayjay, the websites I sent you usually have pics of rental properties.

It's exciting to see you guys all pumped up for Flinders :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I checked it out thanks!

I think the best option (for me) is I'll move into campus housing for the first semester. Australia is a hugely new place, not like just moving cities in Canada. Once I get comfortable, get used to the city, neighbourhoods, etc. I'll venture out off campus. Hopefully by then I'll have made some close friends who I'd feel comfortable living with as well. The share housing is only $1660 per quarter (about $3320 per semester). May be a bit steep but internet is included and its uber close so that works for me.

I think that's a wonderful idea raigon.. I would most certainly attend an event like that. I will also be joining the FMSS...sounds like you guys are working hard and doing great things.....

so just to clarify what you said, students on campus now are entitled to unlimited internet access, but is this at a high speed? I swear I remember reading that like the first so many megabytes are at a fast speed and then you have to use a slower speed?

thanks for all your comments raigon.. I consider you a wealth of information:)

Ps. The townhouses you mentioned, are those the FMC townhouses on the same website that lists the FMC Bedsits (meant mainly for visiting elective students, etc.) or by townhouses did you mean Deirdre Jordan Village townhouses? The latter looks really nice, especially since if I remember Dr. Edwards correctly he said it's quite close to the med school

The Deidre Jordan Village - the units are the newer ones and a bit nicer looking. The townhouses are a bit older looking, but you get a free washing machine =D.

Yeah I checked it out thanks!

I think the best option (for me) is I'll move into campus housing for the first semester. Australia is a hugely new place, not like just moving cities in Canada. Once I get comfortable, get used to the city, neighbourhoods, etc. I'll venture out off campus. Hopefully by then I'll have made some close friends who I'd feel comfortable living with as well. The share housing is only $1660 per quarter (about $3320 per semester). May be a bit steep but internet is included and its uber close so that works for me.

Good idea. That's what I should have done. I'm living in a really nice place at Colonel Light Gardens (about 20 min away from school) and with awesome room mates, so I'm not really complaining. We've got a lemon tree and a cat, so you guys have to check it out!

so just to clarify what you said, students on campus now are entitled to unlimited internet access, but is this at a high speed? I swear I remember reading that like the first so many megabytes are at a fast speed and then you have to use a slower speed?

Yeah, it's now unlimited with high speed at ADSL2+ throughout. It wasn't really a 32mb limit before, rather than 32mb at awesome broadband speed and then after you hit the limit, you get limited friggin' dialup and we students complained for years until the school gave in and upgraded to unlimited access with no limits.

Sorry to belabour this but I'm still not quite sure on the internet usage. Raigon are you saying that internet is now unlimited high speed for university students anywhere on campus? Is this wireless or do you need to connect via cable?

Also, just to be clear, all that info listed for university hall internet usage and needing to buy a card that you have to keep filling up doesn't apply anymore? Lack of internet usage is one of my main reasons for wanting to live off campus but if it doesn't apply anymore I will be reconsidering.

Sorry to belabour this but I'm still not quite sure on the internet usage. Raigon are you saying that internet is now unlimited high speed for university students anywhere on campus? Is this wireless or do you need to connect via cable?

Also, just to be clear, all that info listed for university hall internet usage and needing to buy a card that you have to keep filling up doesn't apply anymore? Lack of internet usage is one of my main reasons for wanting to live off campus but if it doesn't apply anymore I will be reconsidering.

It's now unlimited download at broadband speed; used to be 32mb before it slowed to dialup. I mean now we have people who stream Scrubs and the Big Bang Theory as well as download movies and music and we haven't been hindered by any download limit or deceleration of speed so far. But it's only on level 5 of the FMC (where the medical school is) and the health science building complex as well as the main campus.

It's wireless. You just have to log in with your FAN and password (you get your FAN when you accept your offer and enroll). There are 2 networks: the Flinders network and the Eduroam network. Eduroam used to be the only network (in secret) where we have unlimited access, but now that the Flinders network opened up to its download amount Eduroam isn't as a "network-that-must-not-be-named" anymore. Both networks are still widely used. Eduroam is a bit harder to set up though.

Note that dorms are different - the village and dorms are about a 10-min walk away from the registry and main campus. It uses a separate network called BigAir (name may have changed) and you have to buy a card (30 gigs for 49 dollars). That's why I said if you don't mind staying in the PBL rooms or the uni a bit later, there's practically free internet 24-7.

It's now unlimited download at broadband speed; used to be 32mb before it slowed to dialup. I mean now we have people who stream Scrubs and the Big Bang Theory as well as download movies and music and we haven't been hindered by any download limit or deceleration of speed so far. But it's only on level 5 of the FMC (where the medical school is) and the health science building complex as well as the main campus.

It's wireless. You just have to log in with your FAN and password (you get your FAN when you accept your offer and enroll). There are 2 networks: the Flinders network and the Eduroam network. Eduroam used to be the only network (in secret) where we have unlimited access, but now that the Flinders network opened up to its download amount Eduroam isn't as a "network-that-must-not-be-named" anymore. Both networks are still widely used. Eduroam is a bit harder to set up though.

Note that dorms are different - the village and dorms are about a 10-min walk away from the registry and main campus. It uses a separate network called BigAir (name may have changed) and you have to buy a card (30 gigs for 49 dollars). That's why I said if you don't mind staying in the PBL rooms or the uni a bit later, there's practically free internet 24-7.

er.... do u think it will stay unlimited if the abuse expands ?

Anyway for those who are not going to stay at campus, TPG offers unlimited ADSL2 at 59.90 per mth with a phone line thrown in. Those staying at DJ village can share a wireless connection ( total speed is ~ 700-800kb/s) between a few guys such that it's actually kinda cheap ( like $5/ week? ).

It uses a separate network called BigAir (name may have changed) and you have to buy a card (30 gigs for 49 dollars). That's why I said if you don't mind staying in the PBL rooms or the uni a bit later, there's practically free internet 24-7.

Is this $49 per month and is it linked to your individual account or can you only buy this per semester? Or is it $39/mo and it's shared between your housemates because the latter two situations would be enough to make me live off campus...I use internet heavily: skype, torrenting, streaming, etc. so I'd use that up pretty fast if it was shared.

Those staying at DJ village can share a wireless connection ( total speed is ~ 700-800kb/s) between a few guys such that it's actually kinda cheap ( like $5/ week? ).

I'm not sure if you were originally from North America so you might not be able to compare it but was is the speed like. I know you mentioned total download speed there but usually that's more of a dynamic value and changes a lot...I play some online video games in my free time, would the ADSL be able to handle that without lagging etc? and is the unlimited TRULY unlimited or is it actually just a really high cap? I would imagine several students who are all using torrents and skype would fill an "unlimited cap" pretty quickly.

Last question for both of you: Does the University monitor your bandwidth usage? I know both my undergrad and grad schools kept tabs on your bandwidth. They threatened to cancel you account (or at least block it or slow it) and although it never happened to me thank god, I know a few who got pinched for downloading torrents.

anyone else feel like we should start a new thread? This one was meant originally to be about interviews and now it's digressed (massively) into more post-acceptance stuff...I was about to start new one that began with all the info that current Flinders grads had given us but thought I'd get a reply from you guys first so that I'm not clogging up the boards...+1 is good enough for me :D
I'm compiling replies from people like Raigon, Cosycactus and Astrokitty anyways for my own personal knowledge so might as well share it :p

ya I think you should start a new one.. I would enjoy seeing what you've compiled, and I'm sure others would as well.

Just to clarify MBBS --> MD situation at Flinders.
According to Ruth (the new Tony), student 2012 might have to do extra semester if MD proposal is approved, so MD is slightly more expensive and longer degree.

will that mean that current students are eligible for the MD program or will it be like Melbourne where only incoming students can do the program?

@um2011
Are you saying that it will be compulsory for MBBS students to switch to the MD and do an extra semester? Or is it just going to be an option if so desired? Because I was under the impression that if the school makes the switch, it will not affect current MBBS students and will only affect future intakes.

It's NOT compulsory for MBBS students to switch to MD. You have the option to do an extra semester and pay that extra fees. However, it appears that no extra semester is needed if the MBBS program is simply renamed as MD because the program curriculum right now already satisfies the MD criteria.

I'm not sure what happened since my interview (back in August) but I was under the impression that if Flinders proposal is approved then, student this year would be required to do extra semester. Hope this clarified!:)