Flinders Interview 2012 Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rayjay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any international students here get interviews for Flinders? I'm in Canada and got an interview for May 25 so I'm headed to Vancouver.

Any other Canadians headed to Vancouver for their interview? Would be great to be able to chat with others about how they are preparing.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it went pretty well, thanks for asking!

There are a lot of people who have posted their previous interview experiences online on the aussie "student doctor" equivalent website so that was really helpful. Obviously there are questions that are more international-student specific but I felt like I had prepared for them.
Are you interviewing with them as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats rayjay,

I'm thinking about applying but I'm not sure how well I would do in the interview. I've seen the info on the Aussie SD equivalent but there isn't much on what questions they asked internationals. Was there anything specific they asked you about being a potential international student? Do they expect you to know facts about Australia's health care system and current events? Thanks and hope the news goes well in a few weeks.

Well, keep in mind first of all that I haven't been accepted, so take whatever advice I give with a grain of salt because it could be rubbish :)

Anyways yes going into the interview I had thought about the "why Australia" question because it's a fair question to ask a student. I think they already know that it's your first option to stay in Canada so I think they are trying to understand if you fully thought it through or if you're applying on a whim. Make sure you've researched the school a bit so you could potentially answer "why Flinders" as opposed to the big name schools like UQ, USyd and UMelb which are very prestigious names worldwide and have top100 med school rankings.
Other than that the interview questions online are basically what they'll ask you; pretty standard med school questions really. I wasn't surprised by anything.

Hey rayjay,

Just wondering if your interview was face to face or skype like last year? And, is Dr. Edwards still the interviewer? I heard he's retiring which sucks since he's such a great guy!

It was face to face and pretty relaxed which was nice. I don't know anything abut him retiring.

rayjay,

yes I had the interview on the 26th... it was a great experience and made me want to attend flinders even more.

However, I am really worried about the internship situation because if I go to aussie med, I want to settle down there..haha..

I heard 50~ international students from other states were not able to gain internship..is that true?

It all depends how much you put into it. If you work hard you'll probably get what you're aiming for. That being said, there's a reason why a lot of people prefer SA as a state, at least that's what last years grads tell me

Are we getting the offers next week? which day are we getting it?? Im so anxious now lol

Offers go out next week? Where'd you hear that??

I was just guessing cuz past applicants from forums got an acceptance at flinders as early as 2 weeks later the interview haha...

Oh fair enough. yeah that would be nice! I've applied to some other Australian schools and I need to know before the offer deadline for UQ whether I've been accepted to Flinders (I'd rather Flinders than UQ)

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Did you email Dr. Edwards and ask when offers were being sent out?

My email telling me I'd "likely" get an interview never arrived so I had to ask them about it based on stuff I had read online about people getting the email.
Might be worth it to inquire.

Nope, I didn't e-mail him because I don't wanna annoy him?? haha
we will just to wait I guess..

Is that code for you didn't get in or you're frustrated by the wait?

by the way, I was reading up on some of the other students who have been accepted through the early decision scheme. Raigon is one of them, he's first year at Flinders right now. He got an early interview in May but did post about being accepted until the first week of July.
I don't know if he got accepted before that and then posted later but chances are that is roughly around the time when he actually got accepted.
In conclusion....we have some time to wait.

I'M GOING TO MED SCHOOL NEXT YEAR!!! AHHHHHHH! Wow; this is the happiest I've felt at 7:41am ever haha. All the best to those waiting for an offer!

I didnt get it..

We will carry your application into the main admission round (for which most interviews will be conducted in July/August). Your application will be considered again once the main round of interviews is complete in August and based on last year, there is a reasonable chance that you will ultimately receive an offer. There is no need for you to take any action (and no further interviews will be required).

I guess my interview did not go so well since my mcat and gpa is relatively high.
It says I am in the strong contender's list though.

Does anyone know who did not get in even though one was in the strong contender's list?

Applied for early admissions and got accepted yesterday. Interviewed in Toronto. MCAT was mid-30's and GPA was 3.8-3.9ish overall. Only Australian school I applied to. Still not 100% I am going but I'm learning strongly towards it.

I didnt get it..

We will carry your application into the main admission round (for which most interviews will be conducted in July/August). Your application will be considered again once the main round of interviews is complete in August and based on last year, there is a reasonable chance that you will ultimately receive an offer. There is no need for you to take any action (and no further interviews will be required).

I guess my interview did not go so well since my mcat and gpa is relatively high.
It says I am in the strong contender's list though.

Does anyone know who did not get in even though one was in the strong contender's list?

care to share your gpa and mcat?

rayjay have you decided to accept at flinders? if so we will be classmates next year:)

I haven't made a concrete decision but I'm leaning towards it pretty heavily. Did you pay the deposit? Where else did you get in?

I just got back from Vegas now so I haven't paid the deposit yet..I will pay it on Tuesday as the banks are all shut for the 4th.. But I am 100 percent going to Flinders! I also applied to U.W.A.

Last edited:
Thanks Marble.
My fam is really pushing for UQ but I really don't want to. They also want me to apply to the states but after my most recent mcat which I studied a lot less for because of increasing workload in my grad program I scored worse and from what I'm told that is a huge blemish for us schools whereas Canada looks at the best score.
Oh well. I'll need to pay that Aussie deposit efore august 5 anyways :)
Putney I might be seeing you there in Feb!

rayjay- you should definitely go where you want to go, not your parents.. one of my best friends will be m2 at UofM tc this year and she went there because her parents are footing the bill and she hates it.... so don't be unhappy for four years of your life:)

I did pay my deposit.. feels good for it to be official...

anyone else get acceptances yet??

Last edited:
for me it was just Dr. Edwards. I don't think you'll be interviewing with him.. he said something to me about retiring at the end of June.. He did also tell me that he usually brings a med student along with him...I really had a positive interview experience.. dr. edwards made me feel comfortable, and it was really easy-going.. much better experience than interviews I had for U.S. schools.
best of luck to you (and anyone else interviewing) I'm sure you will do great.

Last edited:
Congratulations to those that got in to Flinders! That's where I study Paramedics! It's a good uni and Adelaide is a good town :) let us know if you need to know stuff about Adelaide/SA.

Tom

For those who got offers, how do you square off the various schools?

Last edited:
jdnon-
I am also American. I didn't even apply to any of the other so called "big named" aussie schools. Throughout my shadowing, I have talked with several doctors who had heard of Flinders, but not any of the other schools. Plus my HPC advisor told me Flinder's prepares you the best for USMLE. I also think that class size is important.. I want to go to school where everyone can know my name and the faculty can be invested in all of the students. Probably not going to happen at Queensland. Ha I might be a little biased though as I definitely would love to have another American at Flinders as I have heard there are usually only one or two each class.... :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a rural area.. I mean, it is only four years. I went to a pretty isolated undergrad but it was absolutely wonderful. I know everyone says Adelaide is pretty boring, but as long as you make some good friends, I'm sure you'll be able to have a good time. It will probably be better for your studies to have less raging parties going on constantly. I haven't been to Adelaide personally, but know people from there. They say there is a lot to do. I have spent a lot of time in Perth, and also Sydney, and the areas around Perth are pretty boring but I had an absolutely fantastic time.

So where are you from exactly if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited:
jdnon-
I am also American. I didn't even apply to any of the other so called "big named" aussie schools. Throughout my shadowing, I have talked with several doctors who had heard of Flinders, but not any of the other schools. Plus my HPC advisor told me Flinder's prepares you the best for USMLE. I also think that class size is important.. I want to go to school where everyone can know my name and the faculty can be invested in all of the students. Probably not going to happen at Queensland. Ha I might be a little biased though as I definitely would love to have another American at Flinders as I have heard there are usually only one or two each class.... :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a rural area.. I mean, it is only four years. I went to a pretty isolated undergrad but it was absolutely wonderful. I know everyone says Adelaide is pretty boring, but as long as you make some good friends, I'm sure you'll be able to have a good time. It will probably be better for your studies to have less raging parties going on constantly. I haven't been to Adelaide personally, but know people from there. They say there is a lot to do. I have spent a lot of time in Perth, and also Sydney, and the areas around Perth are pretty boring but I had an absolutely fantastic time.

So where are you from exactly if you don't mind my asking?

Interesting Sydney, University of Melbourne and even Queensland (despite its class size) seem to better recognized from my experience.

I grew up in LA, and did both my undergrad and postgrad instate.

Last edited:
For those who got an offer from Flinders, how do you square off between getting a great medical education vs living in a somewhat rural area for four years of your life?

I am an American and currently have offers from Flinders, Sydney and University of Queensland (Gold coast, baby!). I love medicine but I like to have a life outside school too (or is that not possible??). Any advice is appreciated!

For me Sydney was out almost right away because of cost. It's just too expensive to justify going there for four years. I'm going to be in debt regardless, I'd rather reduce it as much as I can...Queensland I'm leaning away from because I'm really unimpressed with what the school is becoming. A class size of 400+ is more than any North American school I have heard of and this Oschner program (while I'm sure it's successful) sounds an awful lot like a Caribbean school to me. No qualms with that, I have loads of friends who were successful through that stream, but if that's what I wanted I'd apply to SGU and be significantly closer to home...It just seemed to me like Queensland was becoming a degree mill, so to speak. I could be wrong.

Now for my less subjective reasons. I am fortunate enough to have some fairly strong contacts in the US medical community (family). One of my relatives was recently at a conference with a lot of big name Aussie docs (pres. of aussie diabetes, etc. etc.) and he sent several of them an email with my question: "Which Australian school would you choose amongst USyd, UQ, Flinders". Their answers:
- choosing between Australian schools is not like the US where you theoretically have tiers 1,2,3. It's more like Canada where all schools are considered equally prestigious.
- Internationally USyd and UQ will likely get you recognized because of their research record but Flinders is becoming more well known, especially in Canada
- In my [all three of them] it boils down to where you want to live. Sydney is a big metropolis, UQ is on the Gold Coast and Adelaide is a smaller city but has a lot of charm
- Flinders program is a little more traditional and UQ is a bit more progressive [I didn't know what this meant to be honest...]

So those are the opinions from some of the big gun doctors in Australia. I was fortunate enough to be in a department in my graduate program where several of the professors have done sabbaticals in Australia, and one of them has done it in Flinders (the other at Newcastle). Here are their opinions:

Prof 1 (my supervisor): Flinders is a great school. They are definitely smaller but I like that about them. Queensland is a great school too but like you say the class size is big and I'm not sure how much I'd like that in med school. I also preferred Adelaide as a city to Brisbane, but that's my opinion.

Prof 2 (MD/PhD in my dept and my close mentor): Well you know I did a 1 year sabbatical at Flinders right? I really liked the school. They have a hospital physically attached so getting your rotations and clinical exposure is easy. I helped with some of the anatomy and physiology courses. The anatomy labs had really modern equipment, pretty much the same as what we have at our medical school [Canadian school]. I didn't find Adelaide boring. It's kind of like Calgary; it's a city of about 1 million people and if you want to get out and have fun you will. We [his family] lived right on the beach for the year so that was fantastic and it was a very affordable city. In comparison I found Melbourne and Sydney really expensive.

Next, my second cousin is a vascular surgeon in Sydney. Born an Aussie citizen and did all his training at USyd. He is heavily biased towards me studying there (till he learned how much I'd have to pay...). In his opinion Flinders and UQ are on par. With him he also said "what city would you like to live in? Adelaide is not far from Melbourne when you are missing big city life but if you are the type who wants to party and club it isn't for you. [I'm personally a bar/pub/video games with friends kind of guy so that doesn't bother me...]. Next when I asked about a "trauma center" he laughed and told me that Australia does not get nearly the same volume of trauma injuries (gunshots, stabbings, etc.) that the US and Canada gets. If he were to rank it though, it would be Sydney, UQ, Flinders just based purely on population size and levels of urbanization.

Finally, I was in Europe not too long ago and I ran into Aussies on the train! What luck! Anyways, both were graduates of USyd so obviously had a slight bias towards that school however they both agreed that they liked Adelaide as a city more than Brisbane. They could not comment on Flinders vs. UQ as they are not in the medical field.

So there you have it. I'm not saying this is the be all and end all of evidence. Ultimately I think it boils down to two things:
- what kind of person you are (party animal, metropolitan, homebody, mellow)
- What YOU PERSONALLY make of your time in whatever city you're in

I just need to convince my parents, who will ultimately have the final say regarding co-signing my loan.

Applied for early admissions and got accepted yesterday. Interviewed in Toronto. MCAT was mid-30's and GPA was 3.8-3.9ish overall. Only Australian school I applied to. Still not 100% I am going but I'm learning strongly towards it.

With those stats, why not try for Canadian or US schools again? (assuming you have tried it and didn't get in before)

I'm definitely not saying Flinders is not as good as the NA schools, but it's always better to be a domestic graduate than an IMG?

The problem in Canada unlike the US is that you could have that GPA and even a 35 MCAT and still there'd be no guarantee you'd be accepted. With the US, from friends I've seen, it's a *little* more predictable given a certain combination of scores (ie. high mcat) that you'll get in SOMEWHERE. I personally know students with higher stats than that (3.93 gpa, 38R) who have been rejected 4 years in a row.
A lot of Canadians accept Australia but apply to Canada just before they leave. If they get accepted back home, they've only spent half a year's tuition. Even with the tuition they've already spent, it's still cheaper (and more or less smarter by way of residency) to come back to Canada and start fresh. If anything it's like studying abroad for a semester :)

yea, one Canadian lady i know who was rejected by Calgary a few times started Flinders for one semester before being offered a place.

What's the price difference anyway?

one thing that might interest u guys is that the Flinders MD is going to be a reality probably for the upcoming batch, so instead of the BMBS, u will get a Doctor of Medicine degree and is considered a masters level course. However, the coursework will be 9 semesters worth and should probably be compressed into 8. And according to rumors, this will add about $4K in total to the course fees.

I spoke to dr Edwards about this. It is probably going to happen but I didn't want to wait and find out. If the definitively said "starting in 2013" I'd consider it but I feel like it's the same thing with Melbourne. Same education, more pricey...

are you guys saying those who commence in 2012 will graduate with MD?

no Putney, you and I will still be BMBS as we're paying the BMBS fees.
Just like with Melbourne, there will likely be a transition period and if not, then only students applying for that will get it. That being said, Dr. Edwards told me that while this was being discussed, it would likely not happen till about 2014 (meaning students starting the program in 2014 would be doing the MD degree).

There are no "for sures" though, that's what I meant about not waiting to see if that happened. He said the biggest change would be that the new MD program would include a research component. I wish my masters (which is an entirely research based degree) would qualify me to have an MD tacked onto my name but I don't think that's how it works. To my knowledge (and what it says if you google "Flinders MD program") the MD degree in Australia is more similar to a medical PhD.

Firstly, Flinders is not in a rural area. It is in a suburban area on the fringe of the CBD.

Adelaide is cheaper than the other states, easier to navigate and does have things to do. Some really beautiful destinations are a relatively short trip away. For example the Fleurieu Penninsula has towns like Goolwa (where the large Murray River meets the sea), Pt Elliot, Middleton and Victor Harbor. That's only an hr drive (I'm a volunteer ambulance officer at Goolwa, busiest volunteer station @1500 jobs a year). Then there is Kangaroo Island (Oprah's audience visited there), Yorke Penninsula (great spot called Black Point there) and the massive Flinders Ranges. There are things to do in Adelaide. We have nightclubs and we have a ****load of pubs, seriously I don't even understand why we have so many.

As for trauma centre, well I work at the State's Level 1 trauma centre, the Royal Adelaide Hospital. Last financial year, our ED saw over 68,000 patients (Flinders saw ~65,000). I believe there were around 1200 resusitation patients. The state government is currently beginning the construction of a new RAH which is going to be an 800 bed (current site is 680) state of the art facility. So if some of you fall in love with SA and decide to stay, you'll have the best hospital in the southern hemisphere to play with.

As for teaching anatomy and physiology, the Flinders School of Nursing uses FU med students to tutor classes of nursing students. In fact my tutor was Canadian when I did first year RN last year.

orderly, what are your recommendations as far as housing goes?

Housing is a bit tricky at the moment. I know there is on campus accommodation, but I don't know about the availability of it. You'll need to speak to Flinders about that. As for living off-campus; renting isn't cheap if you want something decent and in a decent area. It would be wise to share with someone. There is a lot of demand for rental properties at the moment so it's pretty competitive. However, during winter it seems that there is less competition (it's cold so people don't go to open inspections) and houses may ask for less than they would get during summer months.

Remember, Adelaide is relatively easy to get around in and easy to navigate (the CBD itself is just a big grid). Unlike Melbourne and Sydney the suburbs are very close the to the CBD and travel time is not as long. The suburb I live in is very handy for me, it's near the bottom of our major freeway so it's easy for me to get to Goolwa, it's only 5 kM from the Royal Adelaide and it can take anywhere between 15 and 30 mins to get to Flinders (depending on time of day and traffic). However, out rent is going through the roof, so mum and I are looking elsewhere. So it basically comes down to where you want to live and how much you are willing to pay.

Hopefully that helps you somewhat. Let me know if you need more info!

http://rent.flinders.edu.au/accommodation/

That's a great link on the Flinders Uni website that a current student gave me. It's great because you can set "distance from campus" as a search criteria.

As I learned from Orderly, prices are quoted as per week, so $200 listing will be $800 per month.

Orderly I'm thinking of getting a small (50-125cc) scooter when I get down there for getting around/groceries etc. depending on where I end up getting a place of course. Is scootering common in SA? I know in Vancouver lots of people have them and it's great for a city like Van because there are no major highways and the fastest (posted) speed limit is 60km/h. With the price of gas as it is, owning a scooter is super cheaper (relatively) as well.

great link rayjay! very helpful.. good to know you can get cheap, furnished places.

like your idea about the scooter lol... I think I will most likely acquire a kick bike:)
hope they sell them in oz otherwise I will ship one over lol..

Scooters are becoming more common. You'll mostly see them around the CBD. But yes, they are cheaper to run, but less safe on roads full of cars.

Is a kick bike a pushie with a little 2 stroke motor attached to it?