"Firefighter" Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckstobeme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody looked into these so-called firefighter positions? What do you typically get paid? Is it worth it?

I guess the idea that you work for one of the Mega-Groups (EMP, EMCARE, etc) and you help them staff ER's where they have a new contract while they get a permanent staff together. My understanding is that you work a couple weeks here, a couple there, etc.

Do they pay you a premium for all the headaches? Are you better off just doing locums on your own or with one of the recruiting agencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody looked into these so-called firefighter positions? What do you typically get paid? Is it worth it?

I guess the idea that you work for one of the Mega-Groups (EMP, EMCARE, etc) and you help them staff ER's where they have a new contract while they get a permanent staff together. My understanding is that you work a couple weeks here, a couple there, etc.

Do they pay you a premium for all the headaches? Are you better off just doing locums on your own or with one of the recruiting agencies?

My group has firefighters for both the East and West coasts. Generally they get paid a fixed flat rate which is significantly higher than the rate paid to the full-time physicians at the site. They work at one site for a period of a few months to a year where there is a problem with being short-staffed. The benefit to doing this instead of locums is that you get paid 401k, health, dental, malpractice, disability and life insurance. You can also transition to a full-time staff position at a site within the company if you choose to do so, something that a locums may not offer.

My group has firefighters for both the East and West coasts. Generally they get paid a fixed flat rate which is significantly higher than the rate paid to the full-time physicians at the site. They work at one site for a period of a few months to a year where there is a problem with being short-staffed. The benefit to doing this instead of locums is that you get paid 401k, health, dental, malpractice, disability and life insurance. You can also transition to a full-time staff position at a site within the company if you choose to do so, something that a locums may not offer.

How significant is the salary increase? Are these positions difficult to get? Depending on the salary this sounds tempting.

Members don't see this ad :)
The salary depends on the company and site. Within mine I'd say it's about $25 differential.

PM me if you want referral.

I'm still a year and a half away from job-hunting, but when the time rolls around I sure will :)

$25 to live away from home in a crappy disorganized ED with unknown individuals? I'm surprised they get anyone to do it. I was expecting $100 more.

No disagreement. It's not for everyone and I don't do it. They do pay for your travel and housing as well which can save you money. It's a good way to accumulate cash if you're just starting out.

as a naive 2nd yr resident i was wondering people's opinions on these big groups; i understand that the "rape of emergency medicine," is not completely true anymore but what are positives of working for these big groups emcare, team health, as opposed to a private goup

as a naive 2nd yr resident i was wondering people's opinions on these big groups; i understand that the "rape of emergency medicine," is not completely true anymore but what are positives of working for these big groups emcare, team health, as opposed to a private goup

There aren't many benefits anymore, especially if the small private group gives health insurance and 401K.

My large(ish) group owns its own malpractice and health insurance companies, so we get these two things at a fraction of a cost that a private group would pay.