Vaccine Medical Exemptions- Those in leadership positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm part of the decision making, in my group. We're trying to decide what medical exemptions to allow to the COVID vaccine while staying in compliance with the federal mandate. My vote is to only allow those exemptions considered medical contraindications by the CDC, and to make sure (by legal opinion) whatever exemptions we're allowing are in compliance with the federal mandate, since there is talk of fines of $70,000-$700,000 for companies not in compliance.

One person wants to exempt those with a positive antibody test for 90 days. I've read that the executive order mentions vaccination or weekly COVID testing, but I haven't heard anything about antibody testing being a valid alternative, in the executive order as is going to be enforced by OSHA.

For those of you in leadership positions, what is your group doing, or going to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Vaccination or termination unless medically contraindicated (history of Guillian-Barre, severe allergic reaction, etc.).

I heard one administrator (not with my group) say that the best way is not to tell people they have to do it, but make it so hard to get out of doing it that they eventually give up. Keep asking for more paperwork, etc. I thought it was a little rough, but it probably encourages more vaccinations than simply saying if you don't get it you're fired no exceptions. At least they view it as possibly having a choice, but they get discouraged from jumping through so many hoops and just decide it's not worth it.

Regarding antibodies, if you exclude them for 90 days, you're still back to the original point. Just have them vaccinate and get it over with so you don't keep circling back to try to address it. Make it as simple as possible.[/I]

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Vaccination or termination unless medically contraindicated (history of Guillian-Barre, severe allergic reaction, etc.).

I heard one administrator (not with my group) say that the best way is not to tell people they have to do it, but make it so hard to get out of doing it that they eventually give up. Keep asking for more paperwork, etc. I thought it was a little rough, but it probably encourages more vaccinations than simply saying if you don't get it you're fired no exceptions. At least they view it as possibly having a choice, but they get discouraged from jumping through so many hoops and just decide it's not worth it.

Regarding antibodies, if you exclude them for 90 days, you're still back to the original point. Just have them vaccinate and get it over with so you don't keep circling back to try to address it. Make it as simple as possible.[/I]
This is my viewpoint, exactly. Although I dislike the federal government coming in with mandates, them having done so makes it easier for us as a group: Find out what's required by the mandate and comply. Some people want to wrestle it out over our personal viewpoints within the group.

As much as I love a good political debate, from a management standpoint it makes no sense, if doing so means we're subject to a $70,000-$700,000 fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One person wants to exempt those with a positive antibody test for 90 days. I've read that the executive order mentions vaccination or weekly COVID testing, but I haven't heard anything about antibody testing being a valid alternative, in the executive order as is going to be enforced by OSHA.
Slippery slope. What are you counting as positive? Is there a quantitative number? The lab at my hospital goes down to 3 before it becomes undetectable/negative. For reference, my colleagues and I got tested at the hospital, so same assay, and around the same time (a few weeks after dose #2)...numbers ranged from 100-450. Some immunocompromised or elderly patients or those who only got one shot have levels that are 20. Does that count? Also, different labs use different scales, so be prepared to explain why you'll accept Quest but not Labcorp.

There are very few contraindications with mRNA vaccines.
The bigger issue for you is not OSHA, but loss of CMS monies, I would imagine.
I don't think antibodies will cut it since there's little science behind it.
Vax or fire...put patient safety first.