Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
med.firecracker.me

New medical education website rooted in an adaptive learning platform. Looks impressive, check it out.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, madchem. I am in the same boat. So I was staying up late or getting up early to crank through questions (300/d, 380 sometimes). It got a bit overwhelming and I had to back off by rescheduling them. I plan on speeding up my review a bit over break as well. I think it's doable--I have been able to catch up and get my card load down to a manageable number if I take a 3d weekend. At some point, though, you have to sacrifice FC for class. Another thing that I found useful was doing FC questions on my phone while waiting in lines (grocery store, etc.).

I think ultimately, getting 6-7hrs of sleep will go a long way toward retention. Don't be afraid to cut down the card number if you need to.

I have been doing Rx as well and want to move on to Kaplan this winter. Do you have any tips for how to annotate into FA? Does anyone? For example, do you annotate from FC into FA sometimes? Or just straight from the banks?

I actually annotate everything into FC. If I read something, I cannot retain it. It goes in and then right out. But if you want to annotate into FA, I would recommend getting your copy of FA converted to a PDF if possible. Using the paper form of FA is highly inefficient for annotating because of the lack of a search function.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually annotate everything into FC. If I read something, I cannot retain it. It goes in and then right out. But if you want to annotate into FA, I would recommend getting your copy of FA converted to a PDF if possible. Using the paper form of FA is highly inefficient for annotating because of the lack of a search function.
Yeah, I saw that. How do you do that again?

Members don't see this ad :)
This weekend it doesn't seem to be working along with the other problems people have been reporting for the past two days. If you go to a card or the bottom of your home screen, you will find a button that says "Add concepts or questions" or "Write your own topic."

This weekend it doesn't seem to be working along with the other problems people have been reporting for the past two days. If you go to a card or the bottom of your home screen, you will find a button that says "Add concepts or questions" or "Write your own topic."
Hey, my bad--I meant how do you get your FA digitized with links?

Is anyone kind of disappointed in Firecracker? I got it at a discount til May or June or something when they offered it over the summer for a better deal. But 250$ for what is basically FA flashcards seems a little ridiculous. Especially in light of decks like this: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3564661858
Which are, of course, free.

Also I don't know how you guys are doing FC in lieu of class work. I tried that for one section and barely passed.

Is anyone kind of disappointed in Firecracker? I got it at a discount til May or June or something when they offered it over the summer for a better deal. But 250$ for what is basically FA flashcards seems a little ridiculous. Especially in light of decks like this: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3564661858
Which are, of course, free.
You didn't know that it was FA flashcards when you paid for it?

No I did, but I got it for like 120$ and that was before I found those anki decks... unfortunately. Now they're raising the price even higher.

Ah. For me the convenience is worth the price. I like the interface more than Anki and I trust them more than random Anki decks. Their tech support has also been super responsive and helpful when I've had any issues.

Different strokes I guess.

Ah. For me the convenience is worth the price. I like the interface more than Anki and I trust them more than random Anki decks. Their tech support has also been super responsive and helpful when I've had any issues.

Different strokes I guess.
That's true I do trust quality control at firecracker, and I'm still using it ATM. I'm just a little curious if people are willing to pay 400$ for it. Especially considering USMLERX, UWORLD are priced at around 150$-200$/year and have board type questions to practice with

I'd take FC over the Anki decks. I trust it. It's not a question bank--the quality is not there yet.

It's just another resource to skim through for supplementing FA. Rx, Kaplan, and UWorld are tried and true resources for serious studying.

I only use FC for class to hone in on high yield material or to shotgun study. I relied on FC for classes a few times and agree that the minutiae that you'll be tested on is not covered.

Members don't see this ad :)
FA and FC are essentially the same thing. I like the spaced repetition and the granularity of FC.

You shouldn't be skimming FC just as you wouldn't skim FA. And like others have said, I trust the QA at FC more than some random deck off the internet, even if it's highly rated. In the grand scheme of things, a couple hundred bucks isn't going to break you especially when it can translate to millions of dollars in income potential. I bought FC at $99 during the summer, but IMO, it's worth double that.

FA and FC are essentially the same thing. I like the spaced repetition and the granularity of FC.

You shouldn't be skimming FC just as you wouldn't skim FA. And like others have said, I trust the QA at FC more than some random deck off the internet, even if it's highly rated. In the grand scheme of things, a couple hundred bucks isn't going to break you especially when it can translate to millions of dollars in income potential. I bought FC at $99 during the summer, but IMO, it's worth double that.

Well, my current feeling is that skimming is fine if you know the card/do not need to go in-depth every time you see it.

"Firecracker is just flash cards of FA"

Although FC includes much content in FA, it includes a LOT more also. Just take a peek at the anatomy or Immunology decks on Firecracker and compare that with the content in FA.. I've observed that many topics in FC that are in FA are actually expanded upon. Throw in their flagging / spaced repetition system, and FC is way more than just FA flash cards.

"Firecracker is just flash cards of FA"

Although FC includes much content in FA, it includes a LOT more also. Just take a peek at the anatomy or Immunology decks on Firecracker and compare that with the content in FA.. I've observed that many topics in FC that are in FA are actually expanded upon. Throw in their flagging / spaced repetition system, and FC is way more than just FA flash cards.

FC also incorporates some Goljan and BRS physiology.

I'm at only 37 topics flagged so far, but as you master the various topics do the recall questions gain any diversity? I feel like I'll read a massive card, nail a few questions on it over and over, but there's material on the card that I'm not being tested on.

I'm at only 37 topics flagged so far, but as you master the various topics do the recall questions gain any diversity? I feel like I'll read a massive card, nail a few questions on it over and over, but there's material on the card that I'm not being tested on.

Some things on a card are not directly tested. If you feel that you need to be tested on information that is on the card but has no questions associated with it, then you need to make your own questions for this material.

then you need to make your own questions for this material.

I've never done this, and feel that it's just way too time-consuming and low-yield. My personal preference is to go back and look at the card whenever I really egregiously miss a question in rotation. Gives me a good refresher on how the question relates to the big picture too.

Alternatively, if I notice something in the card that wasn't in the rotating questions that I don't already know or can infer, I'll stick it in the notes (yes, even though it's explicitly stated in the card). I make it a point of reviewing the notes that display on the side after answering every question, because I stick a lot of high-yield annotations in there like other posters here.

If I do the "complete all of your review, catch up, and study questions" option for an entire system (for example all of renal) the day before my school exam, does the spacing count from that day, or does it continue from the originally scheduled day? For example, if I hit "5" on 200 cards and they are all spaced 120 days away, would I get all 200 at once 120 days from now, or would I get them each 120 days from when I would have seen them originally? Anybody know? I'll email firecracker to ask as well, but I don't know how fast their customer service response is. Thanks!

Edit: Nm. I just flagged five questions as a "1" to test my query, which added 5 questions to tomorrow's load. Guess the answer is that spacing starts from THAT day.

Last edited:
My peeps that started this with MS2, how far along are you? I'm 26% banked, all stuff that we've covered this semester (GI, renal, cardio, pulm).

Is $500 really worth it for 2 years? Jesus...

Wasn't always that expensive. :/ But honestly, $500 in 2 years is less than 1% of your tuition in all likelihood. For something that in my opinion drastically improves the quality of your education, I think it's worth it.

My peeps that started this with MS2, how far along are you? I'm 26% banked, all stuff that we've covered this semester (GI, renal, cardio, pulm).

At 51% - I managed to get like 10% done in the two weeks of summer before classes started up again though. You could probably get a ton done over Christmas break if you felt like it. Since August, I've banked 5 cards/day pretty consistently (a little more than 3%/week) and it's difficult but manageable.

Hey, is anyone thinking about using Firecracker after Step 1? To do a very light amount and keep fresh on basics? I'm wondering if I should take advantage of this promotion ending the 18th...

Wasn't always that expensive. :/ But honestly, $500 in 2 years is less than 1% of your tuition in all likelihood. For something that in my opinion drastically improves the quality of your education, I think it's worth it.

I started the free trial last night. Not sure if I'm using it efficiently (Just flagged some topics being covered in school right now and answering questions) yet though. Is that all you do? Flag topics, answer and score your cards, then FC retests you on it to stay fresh?

I started the free trial last night. Not sure if I'm using it efficiently (Just flagged some topics being covered in school right now and answering questions) yet though. Is that all you do? Flag topics, answer and score your cards, then FC retests you on it to stay fresh?

Yeah. I don't really use the Exam Sim at all. Bank all the topics pertinent to what you're studying in class this test period. Then, the most important thing is staying up on your retesting questions, which will eventually avalanche you. But it's where the beauty of the site lies. If you just flag a topic, do the questions, then don't see any of them again for 3 weeks, then you might as well have just read it in First Aid.

If you're busy with classwork and can't afford the retest questions for old stuff (two school tests ago or something), that's fine - prioritize doing the retest questions for the stuff you're being tested on this test period. But if at all possible, stay up on every single retest question that comes your way and rate yourself honestly.

I'm at 35%. I did a few topics over the summer, but not much. Having trouble flagging 5 topics/day with classes and stuff. Going to try to get a lot done over Thanksgiving and Christmas.. I'm hoping it will be easier then because I will be flagging MS1 stuff that I already know (doing MS2 stuff now as we learn it).

Hey, is anyone thinking about using Firecracker after Step 1? To do a very light amount and keep fresh on basics? I'm wondering if I should take advantage of this promotion ending the 18th...

It's my personal feeling that around 90% of this stuff will be worthless once Step 1 is over.

the spelling errors in firecracker are driving me crazy. and "Name four causes of homocystinuria?" is not a question. if they're going to charge a bunch of money the least they could do is have a freshman english major run through it and clean it up.

and "Name four causes of homocystinuria?"

Annoying for sure, and so low-yield + slow. List 9 Type 2 hypersensitivities? List 5 drugs that cause serum sickness? I've seen all those "list" questions like 10 times now and still don't know them. Ah well, they're trying to get your brain to synthesize, rather than just recognize, so I give them credit for that.

You're a beast.

Hah, thanks but it's definitely doable if you just make yourself a schedule. You could totally do the same over Thanksgiving+Christmas.

the spelling errors in firecracker are driving me crazy. and "Name four causes of homocystinuria?" is not a question. if they're going to charge a bunch of money the least they could do is have a freshman english major run through it and clean it up.

They also don't seem to respond to negative critiques very quickly. A certain question regarding a trisomy has 23 people rating it as a 1-star question (because the answer choice doesn't actually answer the question) and yet no one has updated it. I also wish on the questions where they ask for "4 things" they would number the answers.

Yeah. I don't really use the Exam Sim at all. Bank all the topics pertinent to what you're studying in class this test period. Then, the most important thing is staying up on your retesting questions, which will eventually avalanche you. But it's where the beauty of the site lies. If you just flag a topic, do the questions, then don't see any of them again for 3 weeks, then you might as well have just read it in First Aid.

If you're busy with classwork and can't afford the retest questions for old stuff (two school tests ago or something), that's fine - prioritize doing the retest questions for the stuff you're being tested on this test period. But if at all possible, stay up on every single retest question that comes your way and rate yourself honestly.

Hey thanks for the advice.

I guess I need to spend more time with FC to figure out the interface.

You said in a previous post that you bank 5 cards per day? I think I'm still not really hip to the terminology being thrown around. Is each question considered a "card"? And is "banking" just answering the question and scoring yourself on it? If so, "banking 5 cards per day" doesn't seem like it would take long (>5 minutes) at all...?

When people say they are banking/flagging a topic that means they clicked on one (say staph aureus) and reviewed the information, then clicked the little flag icon at the top. You then answer questions based on the topic and it will continue to ask these questions over time. When you bank a topic it can be anywhere from like 3 to 25 questions.

A card is referring to a question.

You said in a previous post that you bank 5 cards per day? I think I'm still not really hip to the terminology being thrown around. Is each question considered a "card"? And is "banking" just answering the question and scoring yourself on it? If so, "banking 5 cards per day" doesn't seem like it would take long (>5 minutes) at all...?

Glad to help!

Sorry, I was inconsistent with the terminology. I use "topic" and "card" interchangeably sometimes. Like Drummer said, "banking" something is flagging the topic and adding it to your rotation of repeating questions. It also shows up on the big blue bar on the main page for how many topics you've flagged out of 1100 (the sum of all Step 1 topics). When people say they've banked 10%, they have 110 topics flagged. At about 8 questions or so on average per topic, this person would be rotating through almost 900 questions.

I try to bank 5 topics a day. It takes about an hour to read through the topics thoroughly, add any annotations I want from my readings, and do the ~40ish questions associated (8 Q's x 5 topics) with them. I get massively behind during the week or two before a big test (I've been more than 3 weeks behind on my "5/day"), then catch up after the test.

When people say they are banking/flagging a topic that means they clicked on one (say staph aureus) and reviewed the information, then clicked the little flag icon at the top. You then answer questions based on the topic and it will continue to ask these questions over time. When you bank a topic it can be anywhere from like 3 to 25 questions.

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Glad to help!

Sorry, I was inconsistent with the terminology. I use "topic" and "card" interchangeably sometimes. Like Drummer said, "banking" something is flagging the topic and adding it to your rotation of repeating questions. It also shows up on the big blue bar on the main page for how many topics you've flagged out of 1100 (the sum of all Step 1 topics). When people say they've banked 10%, they have 110 topics flagged. At about 8 questions or so on average per topic, this person would be rotating through almost 900 questions.

I try to bank 5 topics a day. It takes about an hour to read through the topics thoroughly, add any annotations I want from my readings, and do the ~40ish questions associated (8 Q's x 5 topics) with them. I get massively behind during the week or two before a big test (I've been more than 3 weeks behind on my "5/day"), then catch up after the test.

Ah that makes sense, thanks. So you're reading the section in FC and also in Pathoma or whatever other book you're using, then annotating FA? I know what you're doing isn't exactly relevant to me since I'm an MS1, but I'm just curious :)

It also shows up on the big blue bar on the main page for how many topics you've flagged out of 1100 (the sum of all Step 1 topics). When people say they've banked 10%, they have 110 topics flagged. At about 8 questions or so on average per topic, this person would be rotating through almost 900 questions.

Oh geez. I never thought to double check how many topics were just under the Step 1 heading; I stupidly assumed that the overall total under the blue bar was just Step 1 stuff rather than also including Step 2. Turns out I'm nearly 20% banked rather than 11%! This makes me a little bit less worried about what I have left to learn.

Awesome+GIF+bro+_8f3a67b8860ea9150cb0e743da398c54.gif

Oh geez. I never thought to double check how many topics were just under the Step 1 heading; I stupidly assumed that the overall total under the blue bar was just Step 1 stuff rather than also including Step 2. Turns out I'm nearly 20% banked rather than 11%! This makes me a little bit less worried about what I have left to learn.

Awesome+GIF+bro+_8f3a67b8860ea9150cb0e743da398c54.gif

I'm 3.5% banked, lol. What are you using outside of your course syllabus and FA?

I'm 3.5% banked, lol. What are you using outside of your course syllabus and FA?

My studying is mostly based on FC and using study guides made by students from past years. My school also has really good online resources for anatomy and histo, so I use those when relevant.

By just keeping up with what we've been doing in class so far I've banked anatomy for the limbs and the back/thorax, most of biostats/epi, probably half of biochem/metabolism/genetics, nearly all molecular and cell bio, most of general pharmacology, and nearly all of cardiac, MSK, and pulmonary physiology. Question load is around 100/day right now. If you were to commit to banking a few extra cards of stuff you've already covered every day you wouldn't have any trouble catching up.

My studying is mostly based on FC and using study guides made by students from past years. My school also has really good online resources for anatomy and histo, so I use those when relevant.

By just keeping up with what we've been doing in class so far I've banked anatomy for the limbs and the back/thorax, most of biostats/epi, probably half of biochem/metabolism/genetics, nearly all molecular and cell bio, most of general pharmacology, and nearly all of cardiac, MSK, and pulmonary physiology. Question load is around 100/day right now. If you were to commit to banking a few extra cards of stuff you've already covered every day you wouldn't have any trouble catching up.

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess the only downside I see to FC right now is it's not possible to do only the cards that are relevant to the upcoming exam. So basically FC is just a way to continually rotate through some current material, but mainly old material (especially as your % banked increases)?

Ya it definitely isn't designed to test certain topics (although you can do all the questions for certain topics at one time). I try to really bank a lot of relevant topics as we go through them in class. As I get towards the end of the block and the test is coming up I flag less topics so my workload goes down a little. I will get a decent amount of questions relevant to the test but a lot are previous questions that I may not have mastered from the previous block.

It will help out in the long run, though. For example, we learned antimicrobials early this semester and they keep coming back to haunt us. However, I flagged them in that block so I have been reviewing their mechanisms, indications, side effects, etc. since then while my classmates have put that stuff aside.

In all honestly using FC has dropped my grades so it is definitely give and take (keep in mind I started it essentially at the beginning of second year and I am trying to flag around 4 topics a day).

Ah that makes sense, thanks. So you're reading the section in FC and also in Pathoma or whatever other book you're using, then annotating FA?

I'm actually annotating into Firecracker, into the little "Notes" section. Yeah, I put stuff in there from Pathoma, and my school has little high-yield tidbits for various subjects that they give for board prep which I put in there too.

In all honestly using FC has dropped my grades so it is definitely give and take (keep in mind I started it essentially at the beginning of second year and I am trying to flag around 4 topics a day).

Dang man, bummer. I respect your motivation to continue if that's the case. Firecracker has actually really helped my grades out. I do this thing where the max I rate something is a 3/5 if it's going to be on my test. I'll have a super-obnoxious "MATERIAL ON EXAM 3" text in the notes section of that topic to remind me to rate it 3 or less. So I have like 200-300 questions that are on my next test that I'm rotating through really frequently (a 3/5 rating is a week for me, and since I often rate things lower than a 3 I see them every 4 days or so on average). I make sure every day that I do all these questions first, then proceed onto old material if I can make it there. Maybe that would help?

I'm actually annotating into Firecracker, into the little "Notes" section. Yeah, I put stuff in there from Pathoma, and my school has little high-yield tidbits for various subjects that they give for board prep which I put in there too.

Dang man, bummer. I respect your motivation to continue if that's the case. Firecracker has actually really helped my grades out. I do this thing where the max I rate something is a 3/5 if it's going to be on my test. I'll have a super-obnoxious "MATERIAL ON EXAM 3" text in the notes section of that topic to remind me to rate it 3 or less. So I have like 200-300 questions that are on my next test that I'm rotating through really frequently (a 3/5 rating is a week for me, and since I often rate things lower than a 3 I see them every 4 days or so on average). I make sure every day that I do all these questions first, then proceed onto old material if I can make it there. Maybe that would help?

That's a great idea.. Going to do that as well :)

Are there only a few questions regarding each flagged topic? I've been seeing all the same questions for any given topic...

What are people's thoughts on using the Firecracker LITE settings to limit daily questions? Waste of time? Better than nothing? Not worth doing FC unless you're doing everything?

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess the only downside I see to FC right now is it's not possible to do only the cards that are relevant to the upcoming exam.

I actually use Firecracker for this very reason. We have 3 blocks each semester (each about 6 weeks long). I flag all the relevant subjects during the first week of each block, and then make my way through the hundreds of questions, which of course I miss a lot of. I then do FC everyday for the entire block while still keeping up with lectures. I stop FC a few days before the test to concentrate on the minutiae my school will test on, and also practice questions via USMLERx. At the end of block I will simply un-flag everything and start over.

I like FC because I am becoming very familiar with First Aid and doing well on my block exams. However, I don't feel the need to see questions about past blocks all the time. I will quickly review everything during my dedicated study period.

I actually use Firecracker for this very reason. We have 3 blocks each semester (each about 6 weeks long). I flag all the relevant subjects during the first week of each block, and then make my way through the hundreds of questions, which of course I miss a lot of. I then do FC everyday for the entire block while still keeping up with lectures. I stop FC a few days before the test to concentrate on the minutiae my school will test on, and also practice questions via USMLERx. At the end of block I will simply un-flag everything and start over.

I like FC because I am becoming very familiar with First Aid and doing well on my block exams. However, I don't feel the need to see questions about past blocks all the time. I will quickly review everything during my dedicated study period.

Interesting method. Do you feel like you end up knowing the answers from question recognition? I guess that might not be a problem the more you get banked, but as of right now (4% banked) I don't see any "new" questions... which is kind of a bummer.

Perhaps this is why FCs utility is more in the review department rather than the learn-new-stuff department.

Last edited: