Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
med.firecracker.me

New medical education website rooted in an adaptive learning platform. Looks impressive, check it out.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you guys switch to firecracker? There is no link in gt that says click here to convert to firecracker...or maybe it's cus I'm still on the free trial

How did you guys switch to firecracker? There is no link in gt that says click here to convert to firecracker...or maybe it's cus I'm still on the free trial

I don't think firecracker is fully functional yet. It's more of a preview.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean you are poor? Isn't it the same price as gt?

Fiddling around on it and got

Sorry LoO, you are not allowed to access that page.

Lost a lot of points in my eyes for missing an obvious opportunity to make a space odyssey reference

http://blog.firecracker.me/happy-4th-of-july-from-firecracker/

here's what it looks like without having to fill anything out. The new platform looks pretty cool!

Hey Guys! Thanks for checking out Firecracker. Here's how you can migrate your GT account to FC if you like the core features that FC currently has (we stripped it down to what 99% of you guys actually used on a regular basis but we will be adding content and features and more control over how, what, when you study going forward!): http://blog.firecracker.me/migrate-your-gt-account-in-one-click/

But before you migrate do check out FC by signing up at med.firecracker.me to make sure it has all the features you use. Otherwise just wait a bit and it will get there.

Given the number of migrations of some of our most active users, our servers are taking a beating and it's slowing down not only migration but also FC's performance. But if you like FC and can wait a day or two (it's hard to predict, some migrations finish in 30 mins), please migrate. And, in the worse case that you need to study but the migration isn't finished, you can keep studying on GT while we do a little surgery on our server stack over the next few days. We'll offer a way to sync up any work you do over on GT with FC once we get our kitten purring again and showing everyone love.

We'll also be building a server status page to constantly track server health for all of you 24 hours a day. So you'll never again be asking yourself "is it me or them?" Right now it's us. But we're on it, we love you, and we're drinking a lot of coffee until the awesome has returned.

Thanks for the continued support guys!

You can try it out for free for a couple of months- PM me and I'll set you up!

Brian

Why don't you guys fix your current major problem- allowing GT migrations to FC- before recruiting more members? It is a little annoying to see that members who have paid for months not be able to use FC, but you want to go ahead and "set up" a new guy so you can make more money.

It does suck but let's not forget they are a business, not a non-profit organization. I think it's asking way too much to ask a business to quit doing business. After all, fixing migrations and adding new users to firecracker are nearly mutually exclusive. It's not as if adding new users will hinder progress on fixing the migration assistant.

Is there any kind of ETA for when we should expect this big fix for FC? I know that you're all working as hard/fast as you can, and that you probably don't want to give any specific dates in case they aren't met, but maybe you could hint as to whether this is a "1-2 more weeks" or a "sometime before Christmas...hopefully" deal? I just want the homepage to load and not time-out for 3 days whenever I try to flag something...

Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone doing with FC? I'm currently banking cards leisurely, primarily when I encounter difficult topics in class. MS1

I am trying to bank all of the basic sciences stuff as I go along with my classes. I am also an MS1. I am perpetually a little behind on this goal, but the stuff I have banked I know cold. I like it because it keeps the older stuff fresh in my head.

I will probably make the big push to bank all of this wonderful MS1 stuff during summer. Until then I bank topics of interest along with course material when I can.

I guess I'm a little behind the pack, but I'm starting to see giant flaws in the firecracker algorithm. FC has been making a lot of really good updates lately, but the algorithm is the most important feature. If you have multiple questions from one day you rate a 5, many will show up next time on the same day. If you keep rating them 5s, or 4s, then these questions will always show up together, which again gives an artificial boost in recall. It seems like FC stopped incorporating the individual history of each card for each person. It takes away from the personalization of the algorithm and therefore FC, which makes using it much less effective. Am I just blowing smoke here?

I guess I'm a little behind the pack, but I'm starting to see giant flaws in the firecracker algorithm. FC has been making a lot of really good updates lately, but the algorithm is the most important feature. If you have multiple questions from one day you rate a 5, many will show up next time on the same day. If you keep rating them 5s, or 4s, then these questions will always show up together, which again gives an artificial boost in recall. It seems like FC stopped incorporating the individual history of each card for each person. It takes away from the personalization of the algorithm and therefore FC, which makes using it much less effective. Am I just blowing smoke here?

I agree. Something must be done about the new algorithm.

I did their simulation exam.

One behsci question involving autism had 33 answer choices.

Sometimes the explanation would be incorrect (as in, mislabeled).

Sometimes the choices would be scrambled with K-type MCQs (D. Both A, B, C, and D are correct, nevermind that this choice is named C)

-_-

indeed, I found this to be an issue.

Have you reported the errors? I know I have reported a fair amount since beginning FC

Have you reported the errors? I know I have reported a fair amount since beginning FC

I no longer have the option to report errors. Is the little bar at the bottom of the page gone for everyone, or did they just get stick of getting inundated with feedback from me (mostly simple stuff like characters that didn't transfer properly from the GT cards, but some content stuff too)? :laugh:

It is a little concerning that they don't seem to be following up on this stuff, though. The Pulm card on chronic cough has had comments about an error for 3 months and it still hasn't been changed, and I don't think I've had any responses to any of the reports I've sent in. Quality seems to be slipping on the new cards, and the rating algorhythm is clearly flawed...

I no longer have the option to report errors. Is the little bar at the bottom of the page gone for everyone, or did they just get stick of getting inundated with feedback from me (mostly simple stuff like characters that didn't transfer properly from the GT cards, but some content stuff too)? :laugh:

It is a little concerning that they don't seem to be following up on this stuff, though. The Pulm card on chronic cough has had comments about an error for 3 months and it still hasn't been changed, and I don't think I've had any responses to any of the reports I've sent in. Quality seems to be slipping on the new cards, and the rating algorhythm is clearly flawed...

this is annoying me the most!
I should have stayed with GT, will still be on till August.

I use the feedback button on the middle left edge of the screen. They have been good at getting back to me about the several issues I reported. They need to update people more often, And fix those standing errors!

I use the feedback button on the middle left edge of the screen. They have been good at getting back to me about the several issues I reported. They need to update people more often, And fix those standing errors!

Do you use that with FC or GT? I know when I did with gunnertraining they got back to me every time. Not once with firecracker though.

Hey guys. I read that Gunner Training is pretty much First Aid in flashcards, and forces you to memorize the information. I'm a very visual learning, and I think that I would be interested in the GT system. Can the same be said with FireCracker? It will help you learn/memorize First aid and it relates will to FA material?

Hey guys. I read that Gunner Training is pretty much First Aid in flashcards, and forces you to memorize the information. I'm a very visual learning, and I think that I would be interested in the GT system. Can the same be said with FireCracker? It will help you learn/memorize First aid and it relates will to FA material?

FireCracker IS Gunner Training. It's just a different website. I had my reservations about FC and the switch from GT was frustrating, especially mid MS2. But I am loving FC. Let me put it in perspective:

BRS + Various books ~ 1000 Qs
MS1 + MS2 tests = 300Qs/block * 14 blocks = 4200 Qs
NBME Subject Exams (Anatomy, Cell, Physio, Psych, Neuro, Path, Biochem, Micro...I think that's all) = 200/test * 8 = 1600

2 Q Banks ~ 4000 Qs
Repeating flagged/missed ~ 2500 Qs
Full Lengths, NBMEs, Diagnostic tests ~ 1500

Total = 14,800 Questions (If my math is right)

== FireCracker ==
I started in June after MS1. I started with 100-150 Qs, went up down, missed days, etc. I'm now doing 200-300/day...so this is napkin math. Step 1 is in June.

150 Qs/day * 7 days/week * 52 weeks = 54,600
---------------------

I could have missed something in there and be off by orders of magnitudes, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Now for some musings.

Learn the stuff from classwork. All review material, FC included, assumes you understand some stuff. Cohesive intellectualization of some of the more difficult concepts needs proper explanation from lectures or primary sources. Once you get the ideas, FC pounds them in. It also pounds in trigger words. It also pounds in things you suck at memorizing because you see the questions every freaking day.

I haven't taken Step 1, so I defer to the veterans, but a few things I've noted. I am doing good in all my classes, but school specific questions tend to focus on topics they stressed, not necessarily stuff stressed by FA, Q banks, or Step 1. Therefore, my grades could be better if I spent less time on FC. That said, I have not done poorly on a test all year. Also, I feel very confident on all subjects while many classmates haven't looked at stuff like blood cell dyscrasia in months. While some classmates may be beating me on lecture tests, I am doing very well on random questions from Q banks. (Averaging mid 70s in Kaplan).

FC lets you know what you're weak at because you see it over and over, Q banks tell you what you're weak at with low scores in certain areas. Those together provide useful feedback and guide dedicated study time so that you aren't "mindlessly" reading FA.

Hope that helps. Thank you FC. I recommend it to all my classmates.

FireCracker IS Gunner Training. It's just a different website. I had my reservations about FC and the switch from GT was frustrating, especially mid MS2. But I am loving FC. Let me put it in perspective:

BRS + Various books ~ 1000 Qs
MS1 + MS2 tests = 300Qs/block * 14 blocks = 4200 Qs
NBME Subject Exams (Anatomy, Cell, Physio, Psych, Neuro, Path, Biochem, Micro...I think that's all) = 200/test * 8 = 1600

2 Q Banks ~ 4000 Qs
Repeating flagged/missed ~ 2500 Qs
Full Lengths, NBMEs, Diagnostic tests ~ 1500

Total = 14,800 Questions (If my math is right)

== FireCracker ==
I started in June after MS1. I started with 100-150 Qs, went up down, missed days, etc. I'm now doing 200-300/day...so this is napkin math. Step 1 is in June.

150 Qs/day * 7 days/week * 52 weeks = 54,600
---------------------

I could have missed something in there and be off by orders of magnitudes, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate. Now for some musings.

Learn the stuff from classwork. All review material, FC included, assumes you understand some stuff. Cohesive intellectualization of some of the more difficult concepts needs proper explanation from lectures or primary sources. Once you get the ideas, FC pounds them in. It also pounds in trigger words. It also pounds in things you suck at memorizing because you see the questions every freaking day.

I haven't taken Step 1, so I defer to the veterans, but a few things I've noted. I am doing good in all my classes, but school specific questions tend to focus on topics they stressed, not necessarily stuff stressed by FA, Q banks, or Step 1. Therefore, my grades could be better if I spent less time on FC. That said, I have not done poorly on a test all year. Also, I feel very confident on all subjects while many classmates haven't looked at stuff like blood cell dyscrasia in months. While some classmates may be beating me on lecture tests, I am doing very well on random questions from Q banks. (Averaging mid 70s in Kaplan).

FC lets you know what you're weak at because you see it over and over, Q banks tell you what you're weak at with low scores in certain areas. Those together provide useful feedback and guide dedicated study time so that you aren't "mindlessly" reading FA.

Hope that helps. Thank you FC. I recommend it to all my classmates.

FC is very good for every reason he described. Keep in mind though that GT was more manageable than FC is. They made it so the most amount of time a card will be sent out is around 43 days, as opposed to around 60 for GT. Also they added more questions. Most people say that it became way too much as questions piled, but I'm not there yet. FC doesn't seem to be listening to the users on this point. It's unfortunate for the users and eventually it's going to be the end of the road for FC. As more people drop out of it because of the burden of questions recommendations will stop coming in. It does have its positives though, if you think you can tough it out the way many people said they couldn't (keep in mind I'm using it even though I know people have said this; I also already paid for it though).

Maybe I'm overlooking or missing something but there doesn't seem to be a section on the eyes (anatomy, physiology, etc.) save for a pathology slide in neuro. Anyone else find this odd?

Maybe I'm overlooking or missing something but there doesn't seem to be a section on the eyes (anatomy, physiology, etc.) save for a pathology slide in neuro. Anyone else find this odd?

Uh do they ever put eye anatomy/physiology questions on step 1? I've never heard anyone indicate a question on that topic coming up.

Anatomy --> head and neck --> The orbit

That's the closest thing.

Thought this seemed like a good thread to put this in. I've been doing this for some topics I struggle with and FC doesn't fully explain. There's no audio...but you're smart. Figure it out

http://youtu.be/ekA-UzX9nrw

Reactions: 1 user
You can test out the program for free for a month without any commitment just so you know. To answer your question directly though, material covers all typical first year courses except Histology and Physiology.

How much of FC is MS1 material? I know each school has slightly different curriculum, but mine was systems based with basically zero path during first year.

a little under half? 1100 total topics or so, about 500 can be considered M1 material

You can test out the program for free for a month without any commitment just so you know. To answer your question directly though, material covers all typical first year courses except Histology and Physiology.

most of the organ systems have an "anatomy and histology" and "physiology" section

a little under half? 1100 total topics or so, about 500 can be considered M1 material

Thanks! I didn't want to use my free month before starting MS2, if FC was mostly second year stuff. Now I know, so I can see if I like it tomorrow.

FC can be used for Step 1 and Step 2, if you go to settings you can select to see only see Step 1 material.