Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
med.firecracker.me

New medical education website rooted in an adaptive learning platform. Looks impressive, check it out.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting method. Do you feel like you end up knowing the answers from question recognition? I guess that might not be a problem the more you get banked, but as of right now (4% banked) I don't see any "new" questions... which is kind of a bummer.

Perhaps this is why FCs utility is more in the review department rather than the learn-new-stuff department.

Probably a bit of question recognition involved, the multiple choice questions I usually get especially quick. However, it is still a great way to get through First Aid+ multiple times before the dedicated study period. Like I said though, I am not too worried about doing spaced repetition all year long.

Probably a bit of question recognition involved, the multiple choice questions I usually get especially quick. However, it is still a great way to get through First Aid+ multiple times before the dedicated study period. Like I said though, I am not too worried about doing spaced repetition all year long.

Yeah that makes sense. I'm not sure if it's worth it ($250/12mo) if it's the same simple questions over and over. Glad they offer a whole month trial.

Dang man, bummer. I respect your motivation to continue if that's the case. Firecracker has actually really helped my grades out. I do this thing where the max I rate something is a 3/5 if it's going to be on my test. I'll have a super-obnoxious "MATERIAL ON EXAM 3" text in the notes section of that topic to remind me to rate it 3 or less. So I have like 200-300 questions that are on my next test that I'm rotating through really frequently (a 3/5 rating is a week for me, and since I often rate things lower than a 3 I see them every 4 days or so on average). I make sure every day that I do all these questions first, then proceed onto old material if I can make it there. Maybe that would help?

Well I am getting married in the spring so I won't have a "dedicated" study period so I am hoping this will help me in the long term. Plus it takes a long time for things to "sink in" for me.. there is no way I could cram for step 1.

I recently tried that idea (not ranking current stuff high) but ran into two problems:
1. All my old questions get backed up
2. FC asks some stuff that aren't on my block exams and my block exams ask some stuff not on FC. This block I have only flagged topics if they are very consistent with what we learned in class (I don't have time to flag all the topics we learn everyday, anyway). This has led to more time to study my PPTs from class so we will see how I do on friday.

Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb idea to flag close to 70ish topics right before finals? I left most of the stuff that I understood well unflagged/unreviewed. So it shouldn't be too bad, but I'm thinking I don't know if I really want to be spending over an hour doing 200 qs/day. Was thinking of just rating everything I know relatively well a 5 for the sake of time and anything high yield that I'm iffy on a 2 so that I see it again before the exam.

Dumb idea to flag close to 70ish topics right before finals? I left most of the stuff that I understood well unflagged/unreviewed. So it shouldn't be too bad, but I'm thinking I don't know if I really want to be spending over an hour doing 200 qs/day. Was thinking of just rating everything I know relatively well a 5 for the sake of time and anything high yield that I'm iffy on a 2 so that I see it again before the exam.

Using it is a good way to see topics before big exams. I use it all the time--you'll see the material out of order and it'll help you assess what you know/don't know. Things that seem unfamiliar will have good explanations beneath them.

I aim for around 100 to 150 questions a day.

I never look at the cards before hand either, so everything starts fresh for me. Then I answer the questions based on what I know and what we study in class. Anything I don't know goes into a notebook which I review at the end of the week. If I hit ~80% or so, I hit that question a 5 and never see it again. So far it's been working for me and I've been able to bank everything we've covered (pharm + micro + path) along with some of the higher yield stuff from M1 like physio and biochem. Right now, we are on pulm, so I'll flag pulm path, pulm micro (tons of overlap unfortunately, but that's the nature of micro) and pulm physio simultaneously the day we go over the stuff (or after I've seen it on Pathoma).

Heh, just bought another year at my school's discounted price. Should take me through the end of M2. Phew.

Hey guys, I am an MS2, started FC 2 weeks before this semester, and I have been banking along with my modules all semester. I have also managed to get about 150 topics from basic sciences banked. Ideally I want to finish basic sciences before the end of my winter break (which is 4 weeks). This would end up being about 13-14 banked cards a day. Has anyone tried banking so much in a short period of time? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am an MS2, started FC 2 weeks before this semester, and I have been banking along with my modules all semester. I have also managed to get about 150 topics from basic sciences banked. Ideally I want to finish basic sciences before the end of my winter break (which is 4 weeks). This would end up being about 13-14 banked cards a day. Has anyone tried banking so much in a short period of time? thanks
Also an M2, and I told myself about a month ago I would try and do 10-15 topics a day to get done by winter break. I find that with classwork this is almost impossible-you end up with 300 question days while trying to still do 80-150 new questions and the cards. Some days I can get 15 new cards, but if I average 7-10 new cards per day I'm pretty happy with myself-and it still sucks some days trying to get through all of the questions. Not saying it can't be done, but if your classes are at all demanding it isn't exactly fun. More power to you if you pull it off.

Reactions: 1 user
It's hard to pull off. I was willing to take the hit on my grades for as much HY coverage as possible. It's a zero-sum game sometimes but there are times when doing FC will help you come out on top.

Just be dedicated. Go through as many cards as possible. I always feel like I'm not learning things adequately but things just end up sticking. Yes, some of it is question-recognition but overall, it's more likely to be you synthesizing/organizing/recalling material you have already learned.

Just realized (for me at least), that unflagging all of anatomy is actually helpful, if you've built up a massive amount of questions in a relatively short period of time. Otherwise; every other question you get is an anatomy question (relatively low yield)

When answering study questions, am I supposed to read the entire card pertaining to that subject or is only answering the questions enough?

I would briefly glaze over all the info on the card, when revealing the answer. Reviewing the directly related material helps you review for related questions, and adds an extra dimension of FC review.

did they remove the option to do future questions by day as opposed to by topic? I was just starting to fall in love with that feature =/

As far as I can tell that feature doesn't exist.
So any other thoughts on using lite mode? Am I just wasting my time pretending I'd be getting anything out of that?

did they remove the option to do future questions by day as opposed to by topic? I was just starting to fall in love with that feature =/

Not sure what you mean here...
As far as I can tell that feature doesn't exist.
So any other thoughts on using lite mode? Am I just wasting my time pretending I'd be getting anything out of that?

Never tried it, don't think I ever will. You see posts in this thread of people worrying that the questions aren't asking every single detail in the card. You could imagine that worry extrapolated over to lite mode.

Email Firecracker and see if you can get one. If you can get a few people from your schools Facebook group to all sign up together I am sure they will offer you all one.

No one in my class cares about step 1. Even the gunners don't care about step 1. It doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, my free trial is almost up.. I'm considering just buying USMLERx for first year since it's $199 for 12 months and then they'll extend it another 12 months if you haven't taken step yet.

Yeah, I don't see it anymore. Used to be above the calendar, right? "Do review questions for the next X days"?

I wish there was a more transparent way to see what changes they are playing with. I feel like they are constantly tinkering behind the scenes.

Has anyone started their new quizzing system, 'Nightingale,' yet?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm considering buying FC for only 6 months and then relying on Qbanks next year to help me review and prepare better for Step 1/coursework. What do you guys think?

I don't think I can justify spending $600 on FC for 18 months.

I'm considering buying FC for only 6 months and then relying on Qbanks next year to help me review and prepare better for Step 1/coursework. What do you guys think?

I don't think I can justify spending $600 on FC for 18 months.

A good chunk of my class got UWorld towards the end of the summer to use for MS2 1st semester. Most seem to like it, but most also think that they'll reset the bank (you only get one reset) around January (semester 4) when they actually know the material they're getting asked questions on. Because when I talk to these friends of mine, most agree that the questions are generally out of our knowledge range, and if they are within it, they don't help for our tests very much. But, that's just my impression of a cursory discussion on the topic with them.

FC is getting hard to justify price-wise, I hear you. But I think the ideal transition to Qbanks is around January of MS2. Consider getting an FC subscription that lasts that long.

A good chunk of my class got UWorld towards the end of the summer to use for MS2 1st semester. Most seem to like it, but most also think that they'll reset the bank (you only get one reset) around January (semester 4) when they actually know the material they're getting asked questions on. Because when I talk to these friends of mine, most agree that the questions are generally out of our knowledge range, and if they are within it, they don't help for our tests very much. But, that's just my impression of a cursory discussion on the topic with them.

FC is getting hard to justify price-wise, I hear you. But I think the ideal transition to Qbanks is around January of MS2. Consider getting an FC subscription that lasts that long.

How many qbanks are you planning on doing? I wanted to try and do Rx, Kaplan, and UW.

How many qbanks are you planning on doing? I wanted to try and do Rx, Kaplan, and UW.

Just gonna stick with UWorld and devote everything to it. I'm planning on a gradual transition from FC to UWorld from January to March, so I don't know if I'll have time to do much else. Oh, I forgot, I'll also do some questions here and there from the QBank my school provides for us, since I'm a DO student and their bank will have OMM questions.

Just gonna stick with UWorld and devote everything to it. I'm planning on a gradual transition from FC to UWorld from January to March, so I don't know if I'll have time to do much else. Oh, I forgot, I'll also do some questions here and there from the QBank my school provides for us, since I'm a DO student and their bank will have OMM questions.

Yeah time is such a huge factor. Thanks for the input! Have you already purchased FC to last you through next January?

Yeah time is such a huge factor. Thanks for the input! Have you already purchased FC to last you through next January?

Glad to help. Yeah, I bought a long subscription back in February of this year to last me past May of next year since I wasn't sure what my prep strategy would be at that point.

Just a heads up for anyone needing an extension. They just tacked on 2 free months to the $78/2 mo option (so now it's $78 for 4 months). There's only 243 subscriptions available though and it expires on Dec 1. I just pulled the trigger since I will only be doing this for 6 months max and 78*2 is cheaper than $209 :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys--quick question...are you aiming to know everything off the cards? I'm doing Micro right now and it talks about treatments for all the bugs. Our school says to just know the broad groups of drugs that can work with that class of bugs but FC seems to be aiming for you to know the specific drugs/drugs of choice.

Is it worth trying to memorize the drugs of choice for micro as FC suggests??

Actually, discovered it again under the "Do Fewer"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hey guys--quick question...are you aiming to know everything off the cards? I'm doing Micro right now and it talks about treatments for all the bugs. Our school says to just know the broad groups of drugs that can work with that class of bugs but FC seems to be aiming for you to know the specific drugs/drugs of choice.

Is it worth trying to memorize the drugs of choice for micro as FC suggests??

I was actually under the impression that drugs of choice were significantly more important than a general knowledge of antibiotics. My school has board prep flash card-ish things that they tell us to memorize, and every antibiotic question is a drug of choice question. I dunno, maybe other MS2's can weigh in.

Yeah. Sillyness. If you aren't going to study it, why pay for it?

It's been said before, and I'll say it again for your benefit addy, FC is BAREBONES. It is the VERY LEAST you can do. IMO picking and choosing really isn't an option.

Yeah. Sillyness. If you aren't going to study it, why pay for it?

It's been said before, and I'll say it again for your benefit addy, FC is BAREBONES. It is the VERY LEAST you can do. IMO picking and choosing really isn't an option.

Not sure that I would agree that FC is barebones. There is a lot of info in there.

I definitely wouldn't say that FC is the very least you can do. Most people are not going to do FC. I am about 75% banked and it is a ton of work to keep up with the daily questions.

Not sure that I would agree that FC is barebones. There is a lot of info in there.

I definitely wouldn't say that FC is the very least you can do. Most people are not going to do FC. I am about 75% banked and it is a ton of work to keep up with the daily questions.

I think he meant that FC is barebones in the same way that FA is barebones. You'd better at least know everything in FA.

In other words, if you're doing FC, you should be doing it all the way. Otherwise, it's a waste of time and money.

That's wild. Our school (MD allopathic) tells us not to know drugs of choice because they vary from hospital-to-hospital so there's no point...alright, good to know. Looks like i have to go back and pick up the drugs of choice!

There is a lot of info in there.

Most people are not going to do FC.

ton of work to keep up with the daily questions.

You're in Med school.

They're going to do at least its equivalent in terms of material.

You're in Med school.

That's wild. Our school (MD allopathic) tells us not to know drugs of choice because they vary from hospital-to-hospital so there's no point...alright, good to know. Looks like i have to go back and pick up the drugs of choice!

Wow. Maybe they didn't mean that as a blanket statement. At least it'll be easier for you with your existing working Pharm knowledge.

I feel like FC is above and beyond in terms of effort and ambition used to undertake it, but I get what you're saying with the content. Still a lot better than FC though. I see plenty of Goljan stuff (like, direct quotes) and occasionally things I only know from Pathoma in Firecracker.

Last edited:
You're in Med school.

You're in Med school.

I appreciate you noting that I am in med school - a fine point. But as you know from med school time is the most valuable commodity. I simply note for those looking at FC down the road it is not the very least you can do. Plenty of people will use only UWorld and FA and do very well on the test. I like FC and have used it all through my first year and am still using it my second year. However, it is a huge time sink. The time I spend working on it is time I could be spending on the current material.

For those who want to use it - use it however works best for you. Some of my classmates are only using it for micro and pharm as a quick way to review. Purely observational but the people I have seen who have not stuck with GT and now FC were those who got too bogged down in the details. If that is what you want great go for it but don't feel bad if you don't know every fact on a card, and don't let obsessing over details keep you from using the program.

Get through the cards quickly each day. Try to learn a little bit more each time you see it and realize that most of us are not going to know everything.

I feel like FC is above and beyond in terms of effort and ambition used to undertake it, but I get what you're saying with the content. Still a lot better than FC though. I see plenty of Goljan stuff (like, direct quotes) and occasionally things I only know from Pathoma in Firecracker.

Definitely agree with this, but I think attempting to memorize everything in FA (plus your annotations) is above and beyond in terms of effort and ambition as well. There are MS2s here that are taking Step 1 the week after their final exam. A lot of us (myself definitely included) often forget that some people really don't care to do more than pass their way to an MD/DO.

I appreciate you noting that I am in med school - a fine point.

I'm glad. I found amusing that you're bemoaning the fact that hard work is required in med school. That's the last complaint any of us should be making. I mean, when you were considering med school, people didn't tell you, 'oh that's a piece of cake. You'll have tons of free time'

But as you know from med school time is the most valuable commodity. I simply note for those looking at FC down the road it is not the very least you can do. Plenty of people will use only UWorld and FA and do very well on the test. I like FC and have used it all through my first year and am still using it my second year. However, it is a huge time sink. The time I spend working on it is time I could be spending on the current material.
- You seem to be missing the point entirely. The MATERIAL in FC is the VERY LEAST you can do. You're appearing to disagree with me without refuting my premise.

Entirely different point - How well you choose to master the cards is entirely up to you. The material itself isn't much of a time sink, and you can get through the cards pretty quickly. I'm up to almost 200 an hour. The grading of the cards is subjective. It's just like you say -
Purely observational but the people I have seen who have not stuck with GT and now FC were those who got too bogged down in the details. If that is what you want great go for it but don't feel bad if you don't know every fact on a card, and don't let obsessing over details keep you from using the program.

Last edited:
I'm glad. I found amusing that you're bemoaning the fact that hard work is required in med school. That's the last complaint any of us should be making. I mean, when you were considering med school, people didn't tell you, 'oh that's a piece of cake. You'll have tons of free time'

- You seem to be missing the point entirely. The MATERIAL in FC is the VERY LEAST you can do. You're appearing to disagree with me without refuting my premise.

Entirely different point - How well you choose to master the cards is entirely up to you. The material itself isn't much of a time sink, and you can get through the cards pretty quickly. I'm up to almost 200 an hour. The grading of the cards is subjective. It's just like you say -

Slow down hoss. Nobody is complaining about the work. I said it was a lot of work. That is not a complaint simply an observation and a subjective one. I feel like it is a lot of work when added to the numerous other things that one has to do for school. During M1 there was less intensity in class and I felt like it was less difficult to maintain. Now that I'm an M2 I can see why so many other M2s have written about struggling to keep it up.

Next, I make no comment on what is the very least you can do save this. Unless you have taken the test, which I assume the majority of us on this forum have not, it is hard to have an idea of what the very least is. The amount that needs to be done will depend on your personal ambitions, etc. However since FC has more than FA and the general guidance is that FA is the minimum it would seem that FC is not the very least.

Finally, if you are knocking out 200 questions per hour that is fantastic. Seriously kudos that is significantly faster than my usual rate which is close to 120ish per hour (depending on how many of the paragraph questions slow me down). I would have to assume that is much faster than the average FC user.

Is anyone's "Flag Topics" bar (under "Study Plan" - on the left) incorrectly measuring the current and outstanding number of topics they have left to tag?