Firecracker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackShephard MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
med.firecracker.me

New medical education website rooted in an adaptive learning platform. Looks impressive, check it out.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

I may have phrased that poorly. However, would you agree that there seems to be a glut of information when the material is compared to first aid (pg. 275, 2013)?

I never disagreed about the fact that the contents of FA and FC aren't identical.

I disagreed with your assessment of FC's content.

It's a forum, don't get so bent out of shape if someone disagrees with you. Pot-kettle, I know, but meh.

I never disagreed about the fact that the contents of FA and FC aren't identical.

I disagreed with your assessment of FC's content.

It's a forum, don't get so bent out of shape if someone disagrees with you. Pot-kettle, I know, but meh.

Not sure which part of my post you quoted was me being bent out of shape? But yeah, the hyperbole I used in my description of the FC content was pretty unwarranted :laugh:. I've actually been liking the program a lot so far, but that card frustrated me. I also read a post recently about FC making a bunch of upgrades and tweaks (including the addition of MC-questions), and how by making these changes they would ruin an already good product. I'm just curious if those fears are unfounded.

Yes, lol, I asked a question about Firecracker on a forum thread dedicated to Firecracker. So out of line.

Thanks everyone else - I agree that I haven't had a problem with the other sections I've covered. Very helpful to know that the topic number doesn't really fluctuate.

Pretty much that entire post was a passive aggressive drama queen display ;). I share your concerns... but feel they're unwarranted - for now.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started my second year but I feel like this program is gold. I did a few topics over the summer (reviewing first year) and I am trying to do about 5/day now. I just flag topics we go over in class and some from last year. That way once I review stuff from last year or learn new stuff now I won't forget it and have to relearn.

It is definitely time consuming but knowing first year stuff cold turkey helps me learn second year stuff. I also won't be crunched for time closer to Step 1 as I will have all the memorization/facts down. Hoping to finish FC at the start of spring semester and just do maintenance on there and start a Q bank.

I don't know how anyone just reads a few books 8 weeks before the tests and knows all the biochem pathways/etc.

It's something like if you flag a card, there is a number of questions associated with it. Let's say 7. That part is obvious.

These 7 questions are drawn from a pool of possibly more than 7 that consists of straight recall type or multiple choice type. I think the one that you get depends on previous progress and scores, and it's also possible to see a question twice by coincidence (but really, poor design).

So let's say I bank acute coronary syndrome. I get questions that ask me to describe or define it. If I rate it 1 or 2, I'll probably see the same exact thing tomorrow. If I rate it 4 or if it's the 5th time I've seen it, I might instead get a multiple choice question about acute coronary syndrome. If I see it 3 months from now and rate it 1 again, I might see the straight recall again.

The poor design part IMO is that you have potential to get double/repeat questions of the same topic and also that you might never see the "other type" of question in your review out of sheer luck/design flaw.

All of this is based off what I've observed in my experience so it doesn't necessarily happen that way... but the same result IS I have witnessed firsthand (i.e. I have gotten repeat questions plenty of times, which can lead to me scoring a five once and "perfect recalling" the other to save time, which potentially subtracts one from a question load improperly, because the double might actually represent a question that could have been drawn differently. I have also seen a question for let's say 20 repetitions of the same thing and all of a sudden I get one I've never seen before on #21. This sounds good when I say it like this, but I've also gotten a question e.g. direct recall on attempt #1 and then never see it again after 20+ repetitions, I only see the multiple choice type. I would have liked to see the original question again!)

Also, for those of you straining over 45questions/day.... you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I asked the question as I would like to just throw the Anatomy questions into Anki and unflag them. I'd rather focus on the MS2 topics and just do Anatomy on train rides. So the only thing I'll lose out on is the variations of the same question, assuming that I place the entire explanation that's give after?

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I asked the question as I would like to just throw the Anatomy questions into Anki and unflag them. I'd rather focus on the MS2 topics and just do Anatomy on train rides. So the only thing I'll lose out on is the variations of the same question, assuming that I place the entire explanation that's give after?

Hmm...? Maybe I'm not following, but what else did you expect to happen? The flagged question has to be associated with that card. So if you unflag it, expect not to see it again, and yes the variations of the same question. You could also perfect recall it, which keeps your progress the same.

Hmm...? Maybe I'm not following, but what else did you expect to happen? The flagged question has to be associated with that card. So if you unflag it, expect not to see it again, and yes the variations of the same question. You could also perfect recall it, which keeps your progress the same.

You've answered my question. :) Before posting my question here and reading your reply, I initially thought that upon "mastering" a question, a newly generated one appears but testing different content of the same topic.

So my free month ends on Tuesday.

Overall, I like it. I've been doing between 40 and 60 questions a day and the repetition really forces things to stick. The level of detail is certainly manageable and I like the progressive difficulty. On the down side, there are a lot of **** questions that are either very vague or the answer doesn't really answer the question.

Definitely going to pick this up when one of those sweet deals come through.

So my free month ends on Tuesday.

Overall, I like it. I've been doing between 40 and 60 questions a day and the repetition really forces things to stick. The level of detail is certainly manageable and I like the progressive difficulty. On the down side, there are a lot of **** questions that are either very vague or the answer doesn't really answer the question.

Definitely going to pick this up when one of those sweet deals come through.

The vague questions are painful.

bought the 9mo promo for this and still having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do. its pushing me to do questions on subjects i havent covered yet. Is there an easier/ more interactive way to learn their flash cards instead of read it? thanks

If you think the material is too detailed pick "Lite mode" in settings. You have the option so stop whining.

Thanks for the advice - unfortunately, I read that "Lite mode" is too basic, though I haven't tried it so I can't speak from experience.

bought the 9mo promo for this and still having a hard time figuring out exactly what to do. its pushing me to do questions on subjects i havent covered yet. Is there an easier/ more interactive way to learn their flash cards instead of read it? thanks

How can the program be pushing you to do questions on subjects you haven't covered? You choose which topics you want to "flag", and each card has a number of designated questions on the subject. Unless you are blinding flagging multiple cards at once?

There is no easier way to read/study a card per say, but it is much easier to flag topics as you cover them during your school work. That way the material is very fresh in your mind, and there should be a good amount of overlap.

Also, I just noticed your sig - are you an MS2, or are you prepping for Step 1 now? You bought a 9 month promo, but your sig makes it look like you're one step away from taking your boards.

Yeah don't do lite mode. That defeats the purpose. Just learn to recognize what is REALLY out of Step I scope and then just perfect recall that particular question when you see it. Like for cardiac tamponade honestly I would keep everything on that imgur pic except for the procedure on how to do a pericardiocentesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be that he's flagging micro or path and the questions he is getting is asking for treatments for the relevant micro/path. That happened to me too.

It really isn't that complicated. How can you not know exactly what's going to be asked in the Qs if you've read the cards you've flagged?

I haven't seen any 'vague' questions either. I have seen some open-ended ones.

well i played around with it this morning and figured it out, the "more" button is barely visable lol. Anyway it is a nice little program.
For the questions [the mock step 1 questions]: some of the answer choices are really bugged out lol "A: none of the above, B: all of the above, C: a,b,c...." correct choice was C lol. either way the questions that they do ask that are similiar to uworld are great and really test concepts.
to whoever asked, iam finishing up my last term of MS2 then writing the step probably mid march.

well i played around with it this morning and figured it out, the "more" button is barely visable lol. Anyway it is a nice little program.

Lmfao. You actually made me laugh.

Good luck.

Last edited:
debating whether or not to buy the 9mos promo!!!
anyone see a significant improvement in exam grades for class / Step 1?
Step 1 Experiences thread is a messsssss to sift through o.o

I plan on using it just for MS2 classes right now and then possibly incorporate the MS1 material next semester 6 mos out before I take Step I.

oh and by MS2 classes I mean pharm, micro and path.
I am using pathoma and just ordered RRpath goljan for my path foundation...
Micro / pharm I was just going to use my class lecture notes and reinforce HY concepts with firecracker

Yeah don't do lite mode. That defeats the purpose. Just learn to recognize what is REALLY out of Step I scope and then just perfect recall that particular question when you see it. Like for cardiac tamponade honestly I would keep everything on that imgur pic except for the procedure on how to do a pericardiocentesis.

+ 1, but I'd keep pericardiocentesis as well.

welpppp just bought it anyway before the early bird special runs out.
hope it helps me

Heh, I didn't want to talk you into/out of the purchase. The fact that you're a cat lady doesn't help. Just playin ;). Like anything else, you'll get out of it what you put in. I tried DIT and I tried this. This worked better for me.

Heh, I didn't want to talk you into/out of the purchase. The fact that you're a cat lady doesn't help. Just playin ;). Like anything else, you'll get out of it what you put in. I tried DIT and I tried this. This worked better for me.

LOL.
all the MS3s at my school are crazy for DIT and did it during their dedicated study time.
I like the concept of firecracker because it seems to be something I can use to study for MS2 in general.... hoping that it can take the place of group study a bit just cause itʻs hard to group study sometimes..

How many questions a day do you guys do this for?

It took me about an hour for 55 questions today. That is legitimately the MOST i'd be willing to give something like this per day, and I wonder if it will be of any actual value.

I also had to switch to lite mode, since there were just too many questions and it felt like I'd never cover each topic ever.

Sometimes I do 400 if I cover new topics and end up adding more than 5-10/day. I don't mind getting things wrong because repetition will help you remember things over time. For example, I found myself recalling small details about a topic I never covered/spent any time going over myself.

If it gets overwhelming, you can just ask to spread them out over a few weeks.

Are the Anatomy and Embryo portions on there high-yield for step I? If not, would you still use it for prep for the steps? It's helpful for classes, but I don't think much of this on First Aid.

Are the Anatomy and Embryo portions on there high-yield for step I? If not, would you still use it for prep for the steps? It's helpful for classes, but I don't think much of this on First Aid.

It's been said before. FC isn't FA. Before being re-branded it was called 'gunner training'. While I do take issue with the misnomer, it does tell you a little about the creators' target demographic.

Honestly, I feel it isn't nearly enough. I'll likely have to hit up BRS or HY at the very least before I start my dedicated study period.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is: depends on your goal.

Last edited:
Oh you were talking about a qbank. Of course firecracker can't be used alone, you still need uworld. I thought you said the material in firecracker is lacking.

Oh no, you understood me perfectly. When you see an image with an arrow pointing at an epiploic appendage asking Was ist das? you kinda wish you'd looked over some anatomy at least once instead of missing out on easy points. This is especially true of coronal sections.

I keep thinking that the folks over at FC should gimme free months, but then I go and write crap like this. They should send me tins of Trader Joe's Espresso Pillows instead. Or Sea Salt & Turbinado Sugar Dark Chocolate Almonds. Or Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Butterscotch Caramels...Yeah. I miss TJ's.

Edit: I hadn't found the neuroanat images when I was prepping for the nbme. It's poorly organized but nonetheless pleasantly surprising. I expect those tins of Espresso Pillows now.

Last edited:
How many questions a day do you guys do this for?

It took me about an hour for 55 questions today. That is legitimately the MOST i'd be willing to give something like this per day, and I wonder if it will be of any actual value.

I also had to switch to lite mode, since there were just too many questions and it felt like I'd never cover each topic ever.

lol, I do about 60 in ~20 minutes. Usually less.

60 in 20 minutes is pretty ridiculous.

I used FC for step 1 studying and was doing 80-100/hr after using it for a while. I think 60/hr is a good starting pace.

I've always been good with MCQs. But that's not the point, these questions are either straight recall or are 1-step questions. If you aren't doing these in under 30 seconds, you're gonna have a bad time with UW.

Anyone else's firecracker been moving slowly when trying to modify question set times? It's been doing that for the past few days for me.

I am having trouble loading the main page from time to time but nothing beyond that.

Also, I think that doing 60 questions in 20-30 minutes is a pretty good pace. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Anyone else's firecracker been moving slowly when trying to modify question set times? It's been doing that for the past few days for me.

Not for me, but maybe they use a different server for europe. Did you contact customer service?

Does anyone know how to do review questions on a sub section? For example, I only want to do Head and Neck for Anatomy, is that possible (NOT trying to un-flag and flag again)? Or can I only do Anatomy as a whole subject? I'm in the "Review Questions" stage, not "Study Questions" stage.

Does anyone know how to do review questions on a sub section? For example, I only want to do Head and Neck for Anatomy, is that possible (NOT trying to un-flag and flag again)? Or can I only do Anatomy as a whole subject? I'm in the "Review Questions" stage, not "Study Questions" stage.

Don't think so. It's one thing I don't like about it.

In the example you've provided (assuming you're studying for an anatomy or neuroanatomy class test or shelf), you'd be better served doing qs from lippincott q&a and pretest.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

While I would have absolutely loved to cover all the material (wish I started this last year), I'm not sure that I have time to do so. What are your opinions on what are the lowest yield topics in FC (in terms of Step 1 prep) if I'm feeling pretty crunched for time? I'm guessing anatomy (maybe aside from neuro, pelvis) and behavioral science? Would you recommend that I leave these topics to flag at the end if I have time? Not having taken any practice tests or anything, I'm not too familiar with how important topics like anatomy are for the boards.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys,

While I would have absolutely loved to cover all the material (wish I started this last year), I'm not sure that I have time to do so. What are your opinions on what are the lowest yield topics in FC (in terms of Step 1 prep) if I'm feeling pretty crunched for time? I'm guessing anatomy (maybe aside from neuro, pelvis) and behavioral science? Would you recommend that I leave these topics to flag at the end if I have time? Not having taken any practice tests or anything, I'm not too familiar with how important topics like anatomy are for the boards.

Thanks guys.

Anatomy is very low yield...the only anatomy you should know is how to interpret a basic axial CT scan of the abdomen, which I believe is in FA.

Hey guys, I use FC, but regarding Step 1 prep in general:

I have a friend who recently took the exam, and got a ~230. Thing is, he's pretty much a top-notch guy and used the best materials to prep (things/strategies guys on here hit ~240+ with). He mentioned that some items on there, you cannot prep for using materials, and that you just should know. This scares me. Could the "experimental questions" be a factor? What other obvious things could have contributed? Maybe he just got unlucky?

I use FC and am going through FA.. about to start UW.. but this makes me wish I learned material better (like actually read and learned more in depth details from textbooks in class -_-)

e actually read and learned more in depth details from textbooks in class -_-)

Pretty much. You can do ok (according to what's needed for imgs) with the normal route (FA/FC + Qbanks), but to do exceptionally, you need to have worked your tail off.

The good news is that it's not too late, especially for the highest yield topics.

Hey guys, I use FC, but regarding Step 1 prep in general:

I have a friend who recently took the exam, and got a ~230. Thing is, he's pretty much a top-notch guy and used the best materials to prep (things/strategies guys on here hit ~240+ with). He mentioned that some items on there, you cannot prep for using materials, and that you just should know. This scares me. Could the "experimental questions" be a factor? What other obvious things could have contributed? Maybe he just got unlucky?

I use FC and am going through FA.. about to start UW.. but this makes me wish I learned material better (like actually read and learned more in depth details from textbooks in class -_-)
What stage of med school are you guys at?
Tbh, when i was med school, at least the first 3 years anyway, i honestly didn't know a thing... not to save my life or anybody else's, lol. Part laziness, and part due to the fact we didn't have as much as even 50% basic science to cover the step 1 material (british doctor).
But since I finished med school in the last year, its only now that things have started to come together.
What I can say is that having clinical experience does help. Averaging low 80's on uworld, so feeling very cautiously optimistic but I'm positive had I taken this exam in 2nd or 3rd year I would have got absolutely destroyed by it
Only just found the free GT trial, finding it pretty useful, wishing i had of come across it a long time ago though, it seems to really hammer those nitty points home.

He's a 3rd yr. and I'm a 2nd. Thanks guys, I'll update when I start going through UW. FC has been pretty helpful. Trying to cover the whole thing (FC) and yea, anatomy is too much, so I score ana questions very liberally- as in I give lots of 4's and 5's so they don't show up as often.

Pretty much. You can do ok (according to what's needed for imgs) with the normal route (FA/FC + Qbanks), but to do exceptionally, you need to have worked your tail off.

The good news is that it's not too late, especially for the highest yield topics.

My issue right now is that I'm doing FC alongside my classes but am just not breaking the class average on exams (minutiae, low-yield concepts being covered, etc.). Anyone have tips for helping me break this trend?

Should I sacrifice FC for classwork in order to get better grades? My goal ultimately is to get most of FC done by spring so I can hit the question banks hard through spring.

I don't really have any tips but I am in the same boat. My goal is to have all of FC done by early spring (I started this summer) so I can work mostly on UWorld. I am sacrificing my grades in class right now but I think it will make step 1 so much easier (and shelves).

Most of the stuff we are tested on in class is stupid anyway. On the last test we had like 40-50 chemo drugs and maybe like 15 were in FC (I am assuming all the others aren't high yield for step 1). So I could work my ass off to learn all those and get a few extra points on one test or reinforce stuff that will be more important for a more important test..