Fellowship after Residency from Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is always nice to have an altruistic Yoda-like guide show up and give us their take on things. However, why not allow people to read all the posts and make their own decisions? Someone reading this forum apparently is going into medicine. If they can't interpret information, or rely 100% on SDN for their "fact-based" decision making, they are already in trouble.

Seems like rokshana was correct.
That's like saying "doctors and scientists are trained to distinguish good studies from crappy one so lets start publishing a bunch of non-sensical ones and let them deal with it".
Perhaps there is a little bit of altruism, but there is also some self-interest at play. This is my career, I will be doing this for the next 30-40 years, depending on my health perhaps I'll drop to part-time and do it indefinitely until I die or even go into teaching many points in the future. I see giving advise to next generations as a small investment on the quality of my future colleges.
And perhaps you don't remember how young and stupid you were years ago prior to med school, residency, etc. The people asking these kinds of questions are scared, afraid, ignorant, overwhelmed. Then you throw them a pack of half-arsed posts with the "let them sort it out" attitude.
What is your excuse?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like rokshana was correct.
That's like saying "doctors and scientists are trained to distinguish good studies from crappy one so lets start publishing a bunch of non-sensical ones and let them deal with it".
Perhaps there is a little bit of altruism, but there is also some self-interest at play. This is my career, I will be doing this for the next 30-40 years, depending on my health perhaps I'll drop to part-time and do it indefinitely until I die or even go into teaching many points in the future. I see giving advise to next generations as a small investment on the quality of my future colleges.
And perhaps you don't remember how young and stupid you were years ago prior to med school, residency, etc. The people asking these kinds of questions are scared, afraid, ignorant, overwhelmed. Then you throw them a pack of half-arsed posts with the "let them sort it out" attitude.
What is your excuse?
I actually went back to med school as a second career (another licensed professional healthcare field), so I wasn't so young and stupid. I actually visited 9 different foreign schools, met with their admin and talked with students and browsed several online forums before making a decision. I was wait-listed at two US schools, but I was already an older student and didn't want to wait another full US med school admission cycle. I actually attended two different Carib schools, because when I finished my MBA, it was 2007/8 and loans were drying up. So, I took time off to work in hospital admin and then got a job working for the FBI, which allowed me the flexibility to finish medical school. So, I was able to transfer into Ross, and only loss the three 3rd year rotations I already completed. I've been on the board of directors of healthcare systems and as a COO at a major academic medical facility. I actually hire (and fire) doctors every month and I have been in healthcare now since 1998. I work at the premier academic medical center in the US and work with a diverse group of physicians with a plethora of experiences. I am not some 22 year old internet troll who "thinks" I am an expert in something because I read a book or took an undergrad class on something.

If one can't make a logical decision and conduct the research needed to make a major decision like medical school, then they likely need to do the trucking job you recommended. This isn't a pissing contest, and it is ok you have some strong opinions, which you apparently love to share and think it is helpful. So, keep on doing what you feel is best. I honestly couldn't care less if people go to one school over another. I only added my experience and views of what I went through, and then made a statement about the financial investment vs return in medicine. You started off your original post with "don't take this personally". That only a diversion to say "I know what I am saying is a personal attack and only my opinion", which is you attacking another's view or opinion and invalidating it by inserting your's on top of it. You can always state you have a different experience, but it doesn't make you correct.

Listen, I am done with these comments. It is apparent people who usually insert their opinions often and on multiple boards is because either they think they know more than everyone (without any evidence to support this notion) or they are compensating for low self-esteem and a fragile ego. I wish you, and all the people who are making decisions the best of luck in their journey.

I actually went back to med school as a second career (another licensed professional healthcare field), so I wasn't so young and stupid. I actually visited 9 different foreign schools, met with their admin and talked with students and browsed several online forums before making a decision. I was wait-listed at two US schools, but I was already an older student and didn't want to wait another full US med school admission cycle. I actually attended two different Carib schools, because when I finished my MBA, it was 2007/8 and loans were drying up. So, I took time off to work in hospital admin and then got a job working for the FBI, which allowed me the flexibility to finish medical school. So, I was able to transfer into Ross, and only loss the three 3rd year rotations I already completed. I've been on the board of directors of healthcare systems and as a COO at a major academic medical facility. I actually hire (and fire) doctors every month and I have been in healthcare now since 1998. I work at the premier academic medical center in the US and work with a diverse group of physicians with a plethora of experiences. I am not some 22 year old internet troll who "thinks" I am an expert in something because I read a book or took an undergrad class on something.

If one can't make a logical decision and conduct the research needed to make a major decision like medical school, then they likely need to do the trucking job you recommended. This isn't a pissing contest, and it is ok you have some strong opinions, which you apparently love to share and think it is helpful. So, keep on doing what you feel is best. I honestly couldn't care less if people go to one school over another. I only added my experience and views of what I went through, and then made a statement about the financial investment vs return in medicine. You started off your original post with "don't take this personally". That only a diversion to say "I know what I am saying is a personal attack and only my opinion", which is you attacking another's view or opinion and invalidating it by inserting your's on top of it. You can always state you have a different experience, but it doesn't make you correct.

Listen, I am done with these comments. It is apparent people who usually insert their opinions often and on multiple boards is because either they think they know more than everyone (without any evidence to support this notion) or they are compensating for low self-esteem and a fragile ego. I wish you, and all the people who are making decisions the best of luck in their journey.
Dear friend. If it seems there is some sort of misunderstanding here. As for the third rail that Caribbean schools are in this forum, it seems that we have pretty compatible opinions. It is not for the faint of heart, it is a viable opportunity for someone that is going to make it to US schools but still has a passion for medicine and unlike the doom-sayers the chances are pretty damn good if you are a tiny bit interest in medicine and are not a maniac.
It seems the main issue/disagreement came when you posted about the financial calculations/sense of going to medschool. Perhaps I was a bit blunt in the way I dismissed this point but I did not do it to be insulting but rather to drive the point across that people should never, ever, ever, ever! choose a ~40y+ commitment career choice, specially one which training is ~10y with little in terms of finantial rewards until 10y of sweat/time "investment" with this point as the main reason. Funny enough you latter replied that you took no offense and that you agreed with that point.
So why so pissy all of the sudden?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear friend. If it seems there is some sort of misunderstanding here. As for the third rail that Caribbean schools are in this forum, it seems that we have pretty compatible opinions. It is not for the faint of heart, it is a viable opportunity for someone that is going to make it to US schools but still has a passion for medicine and unlike the doom-sayers the chances are pretty damn good if you are a tiny bit interest in medicine and are not a maniac.
It seems the main issue/disagreement came when you posted about the financial calculations/sense of going to medschool. Perhaps I was a bit blunt in the way I dismissed this point but I did not do it to be insulting but rather to drive the point across that people should never, ever, ever, ever! choose a ~40y+ commitment career choice, specially one which training is ~10y with little in terms of finantial rewards until 10y of sweat/time "investment" with this point as the main reason. Funny enough you latter replied that you took no offense and that you agreed with that point.
So why so pissy all of the sudden?
Dude...he’s Jenny mcjennison...he probably has alphabet soup behind his name like them...

Troll...don’t feed him!

Dude...he’s Jenny mcjennison...he probably has alphabet soup behind his name like them...

Troll...don’t feed him!
ie, more education and credentials? Yeah, some people are OK with being mediocre, don't sweat it.
It is funny when people use success in someone else as a put down, it goes to show that person with a fragile ego will find any reason to bring another person down to their level.
I'll give you a B+ for effort, but a D- for lack of creativity.

Serious question..
1: Can anyone actually show any data that step one scores have actually helped Carib (or IMGs) in the past? Even when Step 1 is P/F, there will still be the same number of students in the match and the same number of spots. US MDs have a 97-98% match rate and the one's who don't match are usually because they only applied to Derm at Harvard (you get the point). DO's still have their own DO residency spots and even have the MD (ACGME spots). So, I think Step 1 scores only give Carib grads a marker against other IMGs. I guess we can revisit this in a few weeks when the new match takes place and data is available on the number of DO grads and IMGs who matched (even though the NRMP doesn't divide Carib vs other IMGs).

2. All the US MD grads I know had around the same amount of loans I did. Owing $400K and making $280K plus sign-on bonus (plus loan reimbursement incentives) doesn't make $400K look like a bad return on investment. And.. I live in Boston were in my zip code a simple studio apartment is $600,000-700,000! My friends in the Southeast are buying huge homes for $300,000 and paid their loans off in 2-5 years. A few didn't pay a cent and their hospitals paid them off over a 5 year contract as an incentive to keep them (saves on recruiting costs, etc). Ask any investor if they would invest $400K (even with interest) for a $250K + per year return for 20-30 years. Even with interest, that is a 10 times return with in 20 years alone. $250K after taxes would still yield a 7 times return in 20 years (and that includes interest paid). If you start working by 35 years old, you can add another 10 years to those numbers, so $1.7 million net pay or $2.5 million gross. So, accounting for interest and taking out taxes, you still have a lifetime (30-year) GAIN of $4,85,000. Day one out of residency you are in the top 2-5% of money-earners in the US. Who wouldn't sign up for that, from a financial stand point?

DOs do not have their own spots, all DO residencies have been transitioned to ACGME, there are no longer any AOA accepting programs and no osteopathic match. I know some DOs who were unable to secure residency spots on account of this. We used to have DO residencies and TRI years to fall back on, that is no longer the case.

DOs do not have their own spots, all DO residencies have been transitioned to ACGME, there are no longer any AOA accepting programs and no osteopathic match. I know some DOs who were unable to secure residency spots on account of this. We used to have DO residencies and TRI years to fall back on, that is no longer the case.
There are still AOA only programs, they just won't be in the match this year, but can continue to operate that way to finish out current residents. So, yes, 2020 is the first year where all NRMP eligible programs will be have single ACGME accreditation.

It will interesting to see the full numbers this year in the match. Last year there were 38,376 applicants for 35,185 total positions. So, almost 3,200 more people than positions. 398 NEW programs in the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 match cycles. If the applicant numbers hold around the same (2018 had 37,167 applicant and 33,167 positions - and increase of 1,209 applicants and 2,108 positions 2018 to 2019), this year the number of position increases should meet or exceed last year, for around 37-38,000 positions this year.

So, until the newest medical school classes start graduating classes in 3-4 years, the percentage of US-IMG matches should go up slightly this year. Last year, US-IMGs had a 59% match rate of active applicants, the highest in the last several years (if not ever) and non-US IMGs had 58% match rate, also their highest. To compare, US DOs had an 84% match rate and US MDs had a 94% match rate (US MD rate hasn't really changed in years).

That is my prediction, we can check back on it in a few weeks and see how far off I am.

Last edited:
ie, more education and credentials? Yeah, some people are OK with being mediocre, don't sweat it.
It is funny when people use success in someone else as a put down, it goes to show that person with a fragile ego will find any reason to bring another person down to their level.
I'll give you a B+ for effort, but a D- for lack of creativity.
Those with the most education and credentials generally don’t have a need to flaunt it...
The number of letters is generally inversely proportional it the actual value of the education...
And those that feel the need to thump their chests about their “Ivy League” education are generally insecure about their expertise...

Most of the Harvard trained people I know, generally say..oh went to school or trained in Cambridge mass...

Dunning Kruger at its finest is what I’m seeing...

This conversation went off. Basically realize the risks and uncertainties and decide if you want to take the gamble. If you’re ok matching into a less desirable residency then it’s probably worth it. If you have a very specific type of competitive specialty in mind and would only be happy with it, know it may not happen. Then just make a decision.

Those with the most education and credentials generally don’t have a need to flaunt it...
The number of letters is generally inversely proportional it the actual value of the education...
And those that feel the need to thump their chests about their “Ivy League” education are generally insecure about their expertise...

Most of the Harvard trained people I know, generally say..oh went to school or trained in Cambridge mass...

Dunning Kruger at its finest is what I’m seeing...
Making factual statements in a forum to address direct questions likely wouldn't qualify as flaunting. When me or anyone from my department travel to give a lecture, we are always told to tell people were we received our education and training from. However, it is true, here you can throw a rock in any direction and hit 30 people who went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Etc. Here, my co-workers have their BS, MD, MBA and dual specialty training (IM/Derm) or residency and fellowship all from Harvard, maybe a few with other various combinations. I don't mention this to impress anyone, I stated it to impress upon the fact that I had doors opened for me, as an IMG, because of having a part of my CV with that name on it. Oh, and "Harvard-trained" would likely not say Cambridge unless they were at one of two places, that are just Harvard affiliate sites. Everyone else would say "Boston". Even the Medical School is in Boston (and the Public Health School), so Cambridge is usually on referenced for undergrad, graduate degrees, or the MBA (which almost always say Harvard Business School). And your statement about the number of degree letters is funny.. because where I work, everyone has a MD and at least one other advanced degree, 20% have two advanced degrees, and Fellow status within their board (proudly stated on their jackets and letterhead). I think those who don't have any of it have some insecure feelings bubble up and project it onto the ones who do. Which is funny, because here, even giants of medicine feel small and insignificant. My boss has published over 200 scientific peer-reviewed articles, written 5 books, numerous books chapters, is a professor at the medical school, has a 28 page CV, and has practiced full time for 30 years now as the leading expert in his field. Yet, he still feels like he will never accomplish things his predecessors did.
I leave here in June, come visit and I'll be happy to show you around.

Making factual statements in a forum to address direct questions likely wouldn't qualify as flaunting. When me or anyone from my department travel to give a lecture, we are always told to tell people were we received our education and training from. However, it is true, here you can throw a rock in any direction and hit 30 people who went to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Etc. Here, my co-workers have their BS, MD, MBA and dual specialty training (IM/Derm) or residency and fellowship all from Harvard, maybe a few with other various combinations. I don't mention this to impress anyone, I stated it to impress upon the fact that I had doors opened for me, as an IMG, because of having a part of my CV with that name on it. Oh, and "Harvard-trained" would likely not say Cambridge unless they were at one of two places, that are just Harvard affiliate sites. Everyone else would say "Boston". Even the Medical School is in Boston (and the Public Health School), so Cambridge is usually on referenced for undergrad, graduate degrees, or the MBA (which almost always say Harvard Business School). And your statement about the number of degree letters is funny.. because where I work, everyone has a MD and at least one other advanced degree, 20% have two advanced degrees, and Fellow status within their board (proudly stated on their jackets and letterhead). I think those who don't have any of it have some insecure feelings bubble up and project it onto the ones who do. Which is funny, because here, even giants of medicine feel small and insignificant. My boss has published over 200 scientific peer-reviewed articles, written 5 books, numerous books chapters, is a professor at the medical school, has a 28 page CV, and has practiced full time for 30 years now as the leading expert in his field. Yet, he still feels like he will never accomplish things his predecessors did.
I leave here in June, come visit and I'll be happy to show you around.
You just keep diggin’ don’t you ...but thanks for the mansplain’...

You just keep diggin’ don’t you ...but thanks for the mansplain’...
Are you actually a physician? I have my doubts. If I keep digging, you keep throwing the dirt back in. But hey, you are the one with over 4,000 posts, mostly argumentative or arrogant, so I don't feel so bad about the "diggin" or "mansplain".

It is always nice to have an altruistic Yoda-like guide show up and give us their take on things. However, why not allow people to read all the posts and make their own decisions? Someone reading this forum apparently is going into medicine. If they can't interpret information, or rely 100% on SDN for their "fact-based" decision making, they are already in trouble.

If we're being completely fair, the whole reason that SDN exists is that medicine by and large is a black box. There's no exchange of information with anyone outside the field. SDN is how I figured out how to get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to one of the big four, matched residency, and now matched into cardiology fellowship. So it worked out well for me.

That said, 20-30% of my class didn’t match residency first time around. Perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 of those went on to match later. Of all the IMG residents during my 3 years or IM who applied for a competitive fellowship (cards, hemeonc, PCC, GI), only 3/10 successfully matched. That included 4 chief residents.

So going off those numbers, I’d say it’s a risky proposition.

Getting a residency at all will actually not be easy. If you are from the US and want to practice here, don’t go to ross

Just came across this post randomly. This is 100% bullsh$t. Look at all the grads who matched into Internal medicine. People calling Ross a 3rd rate medical school are just a bunch of elitists who are so frigging snobby and who think their sh%t don’t stank.

IL General Surgery Carle Foundation Hos IL General Surgery
East Liverpool City OH Internal Medicine East Liverpool City OH Internal Medicine
NCH Healthcare Sys FL Internal Medicine NCH Healthcare Sys FL Internal Medicine
St Josephs Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine St Josephs Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
Garden City Hospital MI Internal Medicine Garden City Hospital MI Internal Medicine
Danbury Hospital CT Internal Medicine Danbury Hospital CT Internal Medicine
Las Palmas del Sol H TX Internal Medicine Las Palmas del Sol H TX Internal Medicine
Damas Hospital PR Internal Medicine Damas Hospital PR Internal Medicine
UCF COM/GME Consorti FL Internal Medicine UCF COM/GME Consorti FL Internal Medicine
LewisGale Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine LewisGale Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
Morristown Mem Hosp NJ Internal Medicine Morristown Mem Hosp NJ Internal Medicine
St Mary Med Ctrnghor PA Internal Medicine St Mary Med Ctrnghor PA Internal Medicine
OakHill Hospital FL Internal Medicine OakHill Hospital FL Internal Medicine
Manatee Memorial Hos FL Internal Medicine Manatee Memorial Hos FL Internal Medicine
Hamilton Med Ctr GA Internal Medicine Hamilton Med Ctr GA Internal Medicine
Mercy Health-St Rita OH Internal Medicine Mercy Health-St Rita OH Internal Medicine
RFUMS/Chicago Medica IL Internal Medicine RFUMS/Chicago Medica IL Internal Medicine
York Hospital PA Internal Medicine York Hospital PA Internal Medicine
St Lukes Hosp-Anders PA Internal Medicine St Lukes Hosp-Anders PA Internal Medicine
St Mary Mercy Hospit MI Internal Medicine St Mary Mercy Hospit MI Internal Medicine
Medical City Fort Wo TX Internal Medicine Medical City Fort Wo TX Internal Medicine
HCA Healthcare FL Internal Medicine HCA Healthcare FL Internal Medicine
Med Coll Wisconsin A WI Internal Medicine Med Coll Wisconsin A WI Internal Medicine
Manatee Memorial Hos FL Internal Medicine Manatee Memorial Hos FL Internal Medicine
Parkview Med Ctr CO Internal Medicine Parkview Med Ctr CO Internal Medicine
CIFC Greater Danbury CT Internal Medicine CIFC Greater Danbury CT Internal Medicine
St Joseph Mercy Oakl MI Internal Medicine St Joseph Mercy Oakl MI Internal Medicine
Howard Univ Hosp DC Internal Medicine Howard Univ Hosp DC Internal Medicine
Kern Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine Kern Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
Coney Island Hospita NY Internal Medicine Coney Island Hospita NY Internal Medicine
Henry Ford Allegianc MI Internal Medicine Henry Ford Allegianc MI Internal Medicine
UCONN Health CT Internal Medicine UCONN Health CT Internal Medicine
Brookdale University NY Internal Medicine Brookdale University NY Internal Medicine
Mercy Health Grand R MI Internal Medicine Mercy Health Grand R MI Internal Medicine
FAU-Schmidt COM FL Internal Medicine FAU-Schmidt COM FL Internal Medicine
UCF COM/GME Consorti FL Internal Medicine UCF COM/GME Consorti FL Internal Medicine
St Mary Mercy Hosp MI Internal Medicine St Mary Mercy Hosp MI Internal Medicine
University Hosps-Col MO Internal Medicine University Hosps-Col MO Internal Medicine
OPTI West/Hemet Vall CA Internal Medicine OPTI West/Hemet Vall CA Internal Medicine
Health Quest NY Internal Medicine Health Quest NY Internal Medicine
Detroit Med Ctr/WSU MI Internal Medicine Detroit Med Ctr/WSU MI Internal Medicine
Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Internal Medicine Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Internal Medicine
Baptist Mem Hosp-TN TN Internal Medicine Baptist Mem Hosp-TN TN Internal Medicine
Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Internal Medicine Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Internal Medicine
Baptist Mem Hosp-TN TN Internal Medicine Baptist Mem Hosp-TN TN Internal Medicine
HCA Healthcare/USF M FL Internal Medicine HCA Healthcare/USF M FL Internal Medicine
Broward Health Med C FL Internal Medicine Broward Health Med C FL Internal Medicine
St Agnes Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine St Agnes Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
Jewish Hospital OH Internal Medicine Jewish Hospital OH Internal Medicine
Norwalk Hospital CT Internal Medicine Norwalk Hospital CT Internal Medicine
Eisenhower Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine Eisenhower Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
UC San Francisco-Fre CA Internal Medicine UC San Francisco-Fre CA Internal Medicine
Englewood Hosp NJ Internal Medicine Englewood Hosp NJ Internal Medicine
HCA Healthcare/USF M FL Internal Medicine HCA Healthcare/USF M FL Internal Medicine
Regional Medical Cen FL Internal Medicine Regional Medical Cen FL Internal Medicine
Atlanta Med Ctr GA Internal Medicine Atlanta Med Ctr GA Internal Medicine
Eastern VA Med Schoo VA Internal Medicine Eastern VA Med Schoo VA Internal Medicine
St. John's Episcopal NY Internal Medicine St. John's Episcopal NY Internal Medicine
U Kentucky Med Ctr KY Internal Medicine U Kentucky Med Ctr KY Internal Medicine
SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Internal Medicine SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Internal Medicine
Northeast Georgia Me GA Internal Medicine Northeast Georgia Me GA Internal Medicine
NYP Brooklyn Methodi NY Internal Medicine NYP Brooklyn Methodi NY Internal Medicine
Zucker SOM-Northwell NY Internal Medicine Zucker SOM-Northwell NY Internal Medicine
Blake Medical Center FL Internal Medicine Blake Medical Center FL Internal Medicine
SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Internal Medicine SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Internal Medicine
CIFC Greater Danbury CT Internal Medicine CIFC Greater Danbury CT Internal Medicine
Las Palmas del Sol H TX Internal Medicine Las Palmas del Sol H TX Internal Medicine
Atlanta Medical Ctr GA Internal Medicine Atlanta Medical Ctr GA Internal Medicine
Mountainside Hosp NJ Internal Medicine Mountainside Hosp NJ Internal Medicine
MedStar Washington H DC Internal Medicine MedStar Washington H DC Internal Medicine
Southeast Health-AL AL Internal Medicine Southeast Health-AL AL Internal Medicine
Florida State Univer FL Internal Medicine Florida State Univer FL Internal Medicine
Newark Beth Israel M NJ Internal Medicine Newark Beth Israel M NJ Internal Medicine
Henry-Ford Macomb MI Internal Medicine Henry-Ford Macomb MI Internal Medicine
Aventura Hospital FL Internal Medicine Aventura Hospital FL Internal Medicine
Florida State Univer FL Internal Medicine Florida State Univer FL Internal Medicine
Sunrise Health GME C NV Internal Medicine Sunrise Health GME C NV Internal Medicine
Mount Sinai Hospita IL Internal Medicine Mount Sinai Hospita IL Internal Medicine
U Illinois COM-Peori IL Internal Medicine U Illinois COM-Peori IL Internal Medicine
Kendall Reional Med FL Internal Medicine Kendall Reional Med FL Internal Medicine
Zucker SOM-Northwell NY Internal Medicine Zucker SOM-Northwell NY Internal Medicine
Morristown Mem Hosp NJ Internal Medicine Morristown Mem Hosp NJ Internal Medicine
UPMC Mercy Hospital PA Internal Medicine UPMC Mercy Hospital PA Internal Medicine
Samaritan Health Ser OR Internal Medicine Samaritan Health Ser OR Internal Medicine
Ascension St John Ho MI Internal Medicine Ascension St John Ho MI Internal Medicine
AU-UGA Medical Partn GA Internal Medicine AU-UGA Medical Partn GA Internal Medicine
University Hosps-Col MO Internal Medicine University Hosps-Col MO Internal Medicine
Maimonides Med Ctr NY Internal Medicine Maimonides Med Ctr NY Internal Medicine
Mercy Health KY Internal Medicine Mercy Health KY Internal Medicine
Mercy Catholic Med C PA Internal Medicine Mercy Catholic Med C PA Internal Medicine
Kendall Regional Med FL Internal Medicine Kendall Regional Med FL Internal Medicine
Campbell University NC Internal Medicine Campbell University NC Internal Medicine
Campbell University NC Internal Medicine Campbell University NC Internal Medicine
U Miami/JFK Palm Bea FL Internal Medicine U Miami/JFK Palm Bea FL Internal Medicine
Newark Beth Israel NJ Internal Medicine Newark Beth Israel NJ Internal Medicine
Mercy Catholic Med C PA Internal Medicine Mercy Catholic Med C PA Internal Medicine
New Hanover Reg Med NC Internal Medicine New Hanover Reg Med NC Internal Medicine
Oakhill Hospital FL Internal Medicine Oakhill Hospital FL Internal Medicine
UC San Francisco-Fre CA Internal Medicine UC San Francisco-Fre CA Internal Medicine
Santa Barbara Cottag CA Internal Medicine Santa Barbara Cottag CA Internal Medicine
AU-UGA Medical Partn GA Internal Medicine AU-UGA Medical Partn GA Internal Medicine
Sunrise Health GME C NV Internal Medicine Sunrise Health GME C NV Internal Medicine
Unity Health-AR AR Internal Medicine Unity Health-AR AR Internal Medicine
Detroit Med Ctr/WSU MI Internal Medicine Detroit Med Ctr/WSU MI Internal Medicine
NYP Brooklyn Methodi NY Internal Medicine NYP Brooklyn Methodi NY Internal Medicine
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr NY Internal Medicine Brooklyn Hosp Ctr NY Internal Medicine
University of Ottowa ON Internal Medicine University of Ottowa ON Internal Medicine
MedStar Washington H DC Internal Medicine MedStar Washington H DC Internal Medicine
Roger Williams Med C RI Internal Medicine Roger Williams Med C RI Internal Medicine
Riverside Community CA Internal Medicine Riverside Community CA Internal Medicine
Broward Health Med C FL Internal Medicine Broward Health Med C FL Internal Medicine
Univ of Chicago Med IL Internal Medicine Univ of Chicago Med IL Internal Medicine
University at Buffal NY Internal Medicine University at Buffal NY Internal Medicine
Stamford Hospital/Co CT Internal Medicine Stamford Hospital/Co CT Internal Medicine
Citrus Memorial Hosp FL Internal Medicine Citrus Memorial Hosp FL Internal Medicine
U Maryland Prince Ge MD Internal Medicine U Maryland Prince Ge MD Internal Medicine
St Marys Med Ctr-SF CA Internal Medicine St Marys Med Ctr-SF CA Internal Medicine
Ascension Providence MI Internal Medicine Ascension Providence MI Internal Medicine
Ascension St John Ho MI Internal Medicine Ascension St John Ho MI Internal Medicine
Brookdale University NY Internal Medicine Brookdale University NY Internal Medicine
U Maryland Prince Ge MD Internal Medicine U Maryland Prince Ge MD Internal Medicine
UC Riverside Som CA Internal Medicine UC Riverside Som CA Internal Medicine
Santa Barbara Cottag CA Internal Medicine Santa Barbara Cottag CA Internal Medicine
Temple Univ Hosp PA Internal Medicine Temple Univ Hosp PA Internal Medicine
LSUHSC-Shreveport LA Internal Medicine LSUHSC-Shreveport LA Internal Medicine
Medical College of G GA Internal Medicine Medical College of G GA Internal Medicine
Allegheny Gen Hosp PA Internal Medicine Allegheny Gen Hosp PA Internal Medicine
UHS So California Me CA Internal Medicine UHS So California Me CA Internal Medicine
St Joseph Mercy-Oakl MI Internal Medicine St Joseph Mercy-Oakl MI Internal Medicine
University of Toledo OH Internal Medicine University of Toledo OH Internal Medicine
St. John's Episcopal NY Internal Medicine St. John's Episcopal NY Internal Medicine
St Joseph Mercy-Oakl MI Internal Medicine St Joseph Mercy-Oakl MI Internal Medicine
U Florida COM-Jackso FL Internal Medicine U Florida COM-Jackso FL Internal Medicine
Kettering Health Net OH Internal Medicine Kettering Health Net OH Internal Medicine
FAU-Schmidt Com FL Internal Medicine FAU-Schmidt Com FL Internal Medicine
Baton Rouge Gen Med LA Internal Medicine Baton Rouge Gen Med LA Internal Medicine
Sparrow Hospital MI Internal Medicine Sparrow Hospital MI Internal Medicine
SIU SOM & Affil Hosp IL Internal Medicine SIU SOM & Affil Hosp IL Internal Medicine
Ascension Providence MI Internal Medicine Ascension Providence MI Internal Medicine
PORTSMOUTH REGIONAL NH INTERNAL MEDICINE PORTSMOUTH REGIONAL NH INTERNAL MEDICINE
Gundersen Lutheran M WI Internal Medicine Gundersen Lutheran M WI Internal Medicine
St Mary Mercy Hospit MI Internal Medicine St Mary Mercy Hospit MI Internal Medicine
U Connecticut School CT Internal Medicine U Connecticut School CT Internal Medicine
West Suburban Med Ct IL Internal Medicine West Suburban Med Ct IL Internal Medicine
SUNY HSC Brooklyn NY Internal Medicine SUNY HSC Brooklyn NY Internal Medicine
HCA Healthcare/Blake FL Internal Medicine HCA Healthcare/Blake FL Internal Medicine
MedStar Union Memori MD Internal Medicine
Berkshire Med Ctr MA Internal Medicine
Icahn SOM Elmhurst H NY Internal Medicine
Richmond Univ Med Ct NY Internal Medicine
U South Alabama Hosp AL Internal Medicine U South Alabama Hosp AL Radiology-Diagnostic
NYP Brooklyn Methodi NY Internal Medicine Albany Med Ctr NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Newark Beth Israel M NJ Internal Medicine
Nassau Univ Med Ctr NY Internal Medicine Richmond Univ Med Ct NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Citrus Memorial Hosp FL Internal Medicine
Hackensack U Med Ctr NJ Internal Medicine
SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Internal Medicine SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Phys Medicine & Reha
Detroit Med Ctr/WSU MI Internal Medicine
Coliseum Med Ctrs GA Internal Medicine
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr NY Internal Medicine
Med Ctr Central Geor GA Internal Medicine Aultman Hospital/NEO OH Radiology-Diagnostic
U Maryland Prince Ge MD Internal Medicine
U Texas HSC-San Anto TX Internal Medicine
Baylor-Scott & White TX Internal Medicine Baylor-Scott & White TX Neurology
Case Western/MetroHe OH Internal Medicine Case Western/MetroHe OH Anesthesiology
Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Internal Medicine Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Neurology
FAU-Schmidt COM FL Internal Medicine U Miami/Jackson Heal FL Radiology-Diagnostic
Medical College of G GA Internal Medicine
Samaritan Health Ser OR Internal Medicine
Ascension St John Ho MI Internal Medicine
Desert Regional Med CA Internal Medicine Desert Regional Med CA Internal Medicine
Albany Med Ctr NY Medicine-Pediatrics Albany Med Ctr NY Medicine-Pediatrics

Just came across this post randomly. This is 100% bullsh$t. Look at all the grads who matched into Internal medicine. People calling Ross a 3rd rate medical school are just a bunch of elitists who are so frigging snobby and who think their sh%t don’t stank.

IL General Surgery Carle Foundation Hos IL General Surgery
East Liverpool City OH Internal Medicine East Liverpool City OH Internal Medicine
Garden City Hospital MI Internal Medicine Garden City Hospital MI Internal Medicine
Danbury Hospital CT Internal Medicine Danbury Hospital CT Internal Medicine
Damas Hospital PR Internal Medicine Damas Hospital PR Internal Medicine
LewisGale Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine LewisGale Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
St Mary Med Ctrnghor PA Internal Medicine St Mary Med Ctrnghor PA Internal Medicine
OakHill Hospital FL Internal Medicine OakHill Hospital FL Internal Medicine
Hamilton Med Ctr GA Internal Medicine Hamilton Med Ctr GA Internal Medicine
Mercy Health-St Rita OH Internal Medicine Mercy Health-St Rita OH Internal Medicine
RFUMS/Chicago Medica IL Internal Medicine RFUMS/Chicago Medica IL Internal Medicine
St Lukes Hosp-Anders PA Internal Medicine St Lukes Hosp-Anders PA Internal Medicine
Medical City Fort Wo TX Internal Medicine Medical City Fort Wo TX Internal Medicine
Med Coll Wisconsin A WI Internal Medicine Med Coll Wisconsin A WI Internal Medicine
Parkview Med Ctr CO Internal Medicine Parkview Med Ctr CO Internal Medicine
St Joseph Mercy Oakl MI Internal Medicine St Joseph Mercy Oakl MI Internal Medicine
Howard Univ Hosp DC Internal Medicine Howard Univ Hosp DC Internal Medicine
Coney Island Hospita NY Internal Medicine Coney Island Hospita NY Internal Medicine
Henry Ford Allegianc MI Internal Medicine Henry Ford Allegianc MI Internal Medicine
UCONN Health CT Internal Medicine UCONN Health CT Internal Medicine
Mercy Health Grand R MI Internal Medicine Mercy Health Grand R MI Internal Medicine
St Mary Mercy Hosp MI Internal Medicine St Mary Mercy Hosp MI Internal Medicine
OPTI West/Hemet Vall CA Internal Medicine OPTI West/Hemet Vall CA Internal Medicine
St Agnes Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine St Agnes Med Ctr CA Internal Medicine
Jewish Hospital OH Internal Medicine Jewish Hospital OH Internal Medicine
Englewood Hosp NJ Internal Medicine Englewood Hosp NJ Internal Medicine
Regional Medical Cen FL Internal Medicine Regional Medical Cen FL Internal Medicine
Eastern VA Med Schoo VA Internal Medicine Eastern VA Med Schoo VA Internal Medicine
U Kentucky Med Ctr KY Internal Medicine U Kentucky Med Ctr KY Internal Medicine
Northeast Georgia Me GA Internal Medicine Northeast Georgia Me GA Internal Medicine
Blake Medical Center FL Internal Medicine Blake Medical Center FL Internal Medicine
Atlanta Medical Ctr GA Internal Medicine Atlanta Medical Ctr GA Internal Medicine
Mountainside Hosp NJ Internal Medicine Mountainside Hosp NJ Internal Medicine
Southeast Health-AL AL Internal Medicine Southeast Health-AL AL Internal Medicine
Newark Beth Israel M NJ Internal Medicine Newark Beth Israel M NJ Internal Medicine
Aventura Hospital FL Internal Medicine Aventura Hospital FL Internal Medicine
Mount Sinai Hospita IL Internal Medicine Mount Sinai Hospita IL Internal Medicine
U Illinois COM-Peori IL Internal Medicine U Illinois COM-Peori IL Internal Medicine
Kendall Reional Med FL Internal Medicine Kendall Reional Med FL Internal Medicine
UPMC Mercy Hospital PA Internal Medicine UPMC Mercy Hospital PA Internal Medicine
Samaritan Health Ser OR Internal Medicine Samaritan Health Ser OR Internal Medicine
Maimonides Med Ctr NY Internal Medicine Maimonides Med Ctr NY Internal Medicine
Mercy Health KY Internal Medicine Mercy Health KY Internal Medicine
Kendall Regional Med FL Internal Medicine Kendall Regional Med FL Internal Medicine
U Miami/JFK Palm Bea FL Internal Medicine U Miami/JFK Palm Bea FL Internal Medicine
Newark Beth Israel NJ Internal Medicine Newark Beth Israel NJ Internal Medicine
New Hanover Reg Med NC Internal Medicine New Hanover Reg Med NC Internal Medicine
Oakhill Hospital FL Internal Medicine Oakhill Hospital FL Internal Medicine
Unity Health-AR AR Internal Medicine Unity Health-AR AR Internal Medicine
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr NY Internal Medicine Brooklyn Hosp Ctr NY Internal Medicine
University of Ottowa ON Internal Medicine University of Ottowa ON Internal Medicine
Roger Williams Med C RI Internal Medicine Roger Williams Med C RI Internal Medicine
Riverside Community CA Internal Medicine Riverside Community CA Internal Medicine
Univ of Chicago Med IL Internal Medicine Univ of Chicago Med IL Internal Medicine
University at Buffal NY Internal Medicine University at Buffal NY Internal Medicine
Stamford Hospital/Co CT Internal Medicine Stamford Hospital/Co CT Internal Medicine
Citrus Memorial Hosp FL Internal Medicine Citrus Memorial Hosp FL Internal Medicine
St Marys Med Ctr-SF CA Internal Medicine St Marys Med Ctr-SF CA Internal Medicine
UC Riverside Som CA Internal Medicine UC Riverside Som CA Internal Medicine
Temple Univ Hosp PA Internal Medicine Temple Univ Hosp PA Internal Medicine
LSUHSC-Shreveport LA Internal Medicine LSUHSC-Shreveport LA Internal Medicine
Medical College of G GA Internal Medicine Medical College of G GA Internal Medicine
Allegheny Gen Hosp PA Internal Medicine Allegheny Gen Hosp PA Internal Medicine
UHS So California Me CA Internal Medicine UHS So California Me CA Internal Medicine
University of Toledo OH Internal Medicine University of Toledo OH Internal Medicine
U Florida COM-Jackso FL Internal Medicine U Florida COM-Jackso FL Internal Medicine
Kettering Health Net OH Internal Medicine Kettering Health Net OH Internal Medicine
FAU-Schmidt Com FL Internal Medicine FAU-Schmidt Com FL Internal Medicine
Baton Rouge Gen Med LA Internal Medicine Baton Rouge Gen Med LA Internal Medicine
Sparrow Hospital MI Internal Medicine Sparrow Hospital MI Internal Medicine
SIU SOM & Affil Hosp IL Internal Medicine SIU SOM & Affil Hosp IL Internal Medicine
PORTSMOUTH REGIONAL NH INTERNAL MEDICINE PORTSMOUTH REGIONAL NH INTERNAL MEDICINE
Gundersen Lutheran M WI Internal Medicine Gundersen Lutheran M WI Internal Medicine
U Connecticut School CT Internal Medicine U Connecticut School CT Internal Medicine
West Suburban Med Ct IL Internal Medicine West Suburban Med Ct IL Internal Medicine
SUNY HSC Brooklyn NY Internal Medicine SUNY HSC Brooklyn NY Internal Medicine
HCA Healthcare/Blake FL Internal Medicine HCA Healthcare/Blake FL Internal Medicine
MedStar Union Memori MD Internal Medicine
Berkshire Med Ctr MA Internal Medicine
Icahn SOM Elmhurst H NY Internal Medicine
Richmond Univ Med Ct NY Internal Medicine
U South Alabama Hosp AL Internal Medicine U South Alabama Hosp AL Radiology-Diagnostic
NYP Brooklyn Methodi NY Internal Medicine Albany Med Ctr NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Newark Beth Israel M NJ Internal Medicine
Nassau Univ Med Ctr NY Internal Medicine Richmond Univ Med Ct NY Radiology-Diagnostic
Citrus Memorial Hosp FL Internal Medicine
Hackensack U Med Ctr NJ Internal Medicine
SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Internal Medicine SUNY Upstate Med Uni NY Phys Medicine & Reha
Detroit Med Ctr/WSU MI Internal Medicine
Brooklyn Hosp Ctr NY Internal Medicine
Med Ctr Central Geor GA Internal Medicine Aultman Hospital/NEO OH Radiology-Diagnostic
U Maryland Prince Ge MD Internal Medicine
U Texas HSC-San Anto TX Internal Medicine
Baylor-Scott & White TX Internal Medicine Baylor-Scott & White TX Neurology
Case Western/MetroHe OH Internal Medicine Case Western/MetroHe OH Anesthesiology
Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Internal Medicine Cleveland Clinic Flo FL Neurology
FAU-Schmidt COM FL Internal Medicine U Miami/Jackson Heal FL Radiology-Diagnostic
Medical College of G GA Internal Medicine
Samaritan Health Ser OR Internal Medicine
Ascension St John Ho MI Internal Medicine
Desert Regional Med CA Internal Medicine Desert Regional Med CA Internal Medicine
Albany Med Ctr NY Medicine-Pediatrics Albany Med Ctr NY Medicine-Pediatrics
And just as many start med school every year and never get a residency, the matriculant to residency success rate is atrocious

my advice stands

• Love
And just as many start med school every year and never get a residency, the matriculant to residency success rate is atrocious

my advice stands

Yes it’s because the bar is set low at Ross (they admitted people who shouldn’t have been there in the first place. I saw it firsthand. It was to make $$$) when I was there but I’m not sure if it is the same now (I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same). If you are able to make it all the way through you CAN get an internal medicine residency. I thought the basic sciences were good but the clinical training not so much.

You make it sound like you have no chance to get a IM residency at Ross which is not at all true as shown by the hundreds who get a residency in IM or FM each year.

You can’t focus on the matriculant to residency success rate because they admit bad apples who are gradually weeded out along the way. They were students there when I was there who I thought were straight up thugs.

The people who do get through and are able to perform at least average on the boards ARE able to get residency.

Some people just can’t hack medical school. I saw it firsthand. Then there are those who can and get residencies as shown by the list. The low matriculation to residency success rate is because of those who shouldn’t have been there in the first place and not entirely because of the school.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Yes it’s because the bar is set low at Ross (they admitted people who shouldn’t have been there in the first place. I saw it firsthand. It was to make $$$) when I was there but I’m not sure if it is the same now (I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same). If you are able to make it all the way through you CAN get an internal medicine residency. I thought the basic sciences were good but the clinical training not so much.

You make it sound like you have no chance to get a IM residency at Ross which is not at all true as shown by the hundreds who get a residency in IM or FM each year.

You can’t focus on the matriculant to residency success rate because they admit bad apples who are gradually weeded out along the way. They were students there when I was there who I thought were straight up thugs.

The people who do get through and are able to perform at least average on the boards ARE able to get residency.

Some people just can’t hack medical school. I saw it firsthand. Then there are those who can and get residencies as shown by the list. The low matriculation to residency success rate is because of those who shouldn’t have been there in the first place and not entirely because of the school.
You are arguing a point that wasn’t made

• Haha
You are arguing a point that wasn’t made

What you mentioned:

“Getting a residency at all will actually not be easy. If you are from the US and want to practice here, don’t go to ross.”

I’m arguing you can get a residency in IM coming from Ross if you are from the US.

Is it really that hard to understand?

What you mentioned:

“Getting a residency at all will actually not be easy. If you are from the US and want to practice here, don’t go to ross.”

I’m arguing you can get a residency in IM coming from Ross if you are from the US.

You are creating a strawman. I didn’t say it was impossible to do from ross, I an absolutely saying it’s too risky from there to be worth the expense. The most sure way to be a doctor in the US is to go to a US school

You are creating a strawman. I didn’t say it was impossible to do from ross, I an absolutely saying it’s too risky from there to be worth the expense. The most sure way to be a doctor in the US is to go to a US school

Of course the most sure way to get a residency is to go to a US school. That’s just common sense.

However, some people can’t get into an allopathic school. So what’s the alternative?? A DO or Carribean school.

is it risky? Yes if you aren’t cut out for medical school. A fair number of people who were at Ross are cut out for it but weren’t able to get into US schools. They Do well on the boards and get residencies.

When you say “don’t go to Ross” i find that to be an ignorant blanket statement. Many people get residencies if you are cut out for it.

Of course the most sure way to get a residency is to go to a US school. That’s just common sense.

However, some people can’t get into an allopathic school. So what’s the alternative?? A DO or Carribean school.

is it risky? Yes if you aren’t cut out for medical school. A fair number of people who were at Ross are cut out for it but weren’t able to get into US schools. They Do well on the boards and get residencies.

When you say “don’t go to Ross” i find that to be an ignorant blanket statement. Many people get residencies if you are cut out for it.
Yes, dead end preliminary ones.

Let’s not pretend thst DO schools and carribean are at all similar in likelihood of a residency

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Let’s not pretend thst DO schools and carribean are at all similar in likelihood of a residency

I never said they are. I said if you can’t get into a US allopathic school, then your alternative is to apply to a DO or Carribean school.

I never said they are. I said if you can’t get into a US allopathic school, then your alternative is to apply to a DO or Carribean school.
In the same manner that being a pizza guy is an alternative, yes. But you are implying similarity

In the same manner that being a pizza guy is an alternative, yes. But you are implying similarity
Lol...

You are the master of hyperbole...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Can you match? Yes. But again, you are investing 4 years and >$300,000 for a 70ish percent chance of matching. If you’re an all star student then your chances are higher. Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

Again, I went to one of the big four Caribbean schools. I matched IM, became a chief resident, and am now on to cards fellowship. I’m grateful to my school for having become a doctor, but they definitely prey on the obsession people have with becoming an MD. People who have no business going to medical school, or who should drop out after a semester, keep on keeping on despite ever dwindling chances to match.

Btw, the attrition rate for my class prior to graduation was about 40%. We started with 500, only 300 graduated and that includes people we picked up from classes above ours who failed a class. Of the surviving 60%, 70% matched first time around. I think it’ll get worse with a pass/fail step 1

Can you match? Yes. But again, you are investing 4 years and >$300,000 for a 70ish percent chance of matching. If you’re an all star student then your chances are higher. Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

Again, I went to one of the big four Caribbean schools. I matched IM, became a chief resident, and am now on to cards fellowship. I’m grateful to my school for having become a doctor, but they definitely prey on the obsession people have with becoming an MD. People who have no business going to medical school, or who should drop out after a semester, keep on keeping on despite ever dwindling chances to match.

Btw, the attrition rate for my class prior to graduation was about 40%. We started with 500, only 300 graduated and that includes people we picked up from classes above ours who failed a class. Of the surviving 60%, 70% matched first time around. I think it’ll get worse with a pass/fail step 1
So a much less than 70% chance of getting that residency

Yeah it’s still like that? Where did you go? Ross was like that and I still think it’s still like that where they admit almost anyone. It’s basically criminal in my opinion. There were people who failed, repeated a semester and failed again multiple times. Man these people must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on false hope.

i know of some ppl who went through graduation and couldn’t pass step 3 And are doing other things now. Seriously sad.

So a much less than 70% chance of getting that residency

Counting everyone who walked across the stage for the white coat ceremony? Much less. Counting people who graduated and then reapplied after failing to match? Probably 10% higher?

Btw, I have these numbers because a few cynical classmates and I wanted to compile our own attrition data. Our school didn’t publish the numbers, so each semester we’d check the roll call against The prior semesters’

Counting everyone who walked across the stage for the white coat ceremony? Much less. Counting people who graduated and then reapplied after failing to match? Probably 10% higher?

Btw, I have these numbers because a few cynical classmates and I wanted to compile our own attrition data. Our school didn’t publish the numbers, so each semester we’d check the roll call against The prior semesters’
Yeah, the matriculation to residency ratio is the one that matters

Yeah it’s still like that? Where did you go? Ross was like that and I still think it’s still like that where they admit almost anyone. It’s basically criminal in my opinion. There were people who failed, repeated a semester and failed again multiple times. Man these people must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on false hope.

i know of some ppl who went through graduation and couldn’t pass step 3 And are doing other things now. Seriously sad.

SGU, graduated a few years ago. There were a few students around campus who were known as the “lifers”...because they’d been there for years and years, endlessly recycled in the decel system. Very scummy.

One who stands out to me was a girl who started one year before me. For reference, SGUs first 2 years were comprised of 5 terms. Year 1 included terms 1 and 2. Year 2 was a brief term 3, then 4 and 5.

For people who had been out of school for a few years, they were required to do a “pre-semester“ where they’d be caught up on core sciences like anatomy, genetics. She did the semester, got dengue, had to go home, and then Repeated the term.

One year down before even starting term 1.

She failed the first term, repeated it and passed. 2 years down.

Failed term 2 and repeated it. 3 years down.

Passed term 3, but her confidence was so shot that she preemptively “decelerated“ term 4. It was the beastly semester with path and micro, so she took just one of them and took the other the next semester by itself. 4 years down.

Finally gets to fifth term, fails, and is booted from school.

That was 4.5 years to not finish the first 2 of med school. She should’ve been kicked out years ago, but kept paying school that sweet sweet cash.

last I heard she had reenrolled at Ross as a first year student lol

SGU, graduated a few years ago. There were a few students around campus who were known as the “lifers”...because they’d been there for years and years, endlessly recycled in the decel system. Very scummy.

One who stands out to me was a girl who started one year before me. For reference, SGUs first 2 years were comprised of 5 terms. Year 1 included terms 1 and 2. Year 2 was a brief term 3, then 4 and 5.

For people who had been out of school for a few years, they were required to do a “pre-semester“ where they’d be caught up on core sciences like anatomy, genetics. She did the semester, got dengue, had to go home, and then Repeated the term.

Passed term 3, but her confidence was so shot that she preemptively “decelerated“ term 4. It was the beastly semester with path and micro, so she took just one of them and took the other the next semester by itself. 4 years down.

That was 4.5 years to not finish the first 2 of med school. She should’ve been kicked out years ago, but kept paying school that sweet sweet cash.

holy crap. We had a premed semester like that at Ross. Most of those people never made it. I knew they weren’t going to make it. There were people there that looked like they came straight outta the south side of Chicago. Dudes looking like gangbangers.

this girl you talk about must have several 100k of loans she will never be able to pay back.

there are a bunch of new schools now in the Carribean going after that free money.

What you mentioned:

I think they understand that but they just don't want to admit to it because they are stubborn or set in their ways.

SGU and Ross are legitimate routes to an MD for those who would otherwise not get an MD stateside.

Beyond that, I don't think they understand the logistics of the open primary care positions during the match. US grads are not applying to some of the programs you listed and these programs RELY ON competent IMG physicians to fill those positions. That's just how it works in real life. I don't think that's how it works in the world of the Student Doctors Network lol.

That's actually a very decent match for Ross this year.

Dude, don't troll.

I have the handbook from 2016-2017. It clearly says you can decel one term only during basic scienes and you must pass the repeated term to continue. At SGU you are dismissed if you fail a course...that's why they offer you one chance to decel but you need to withdraw from that course prior to the final exam.

The story of the imaginary student was entertaining. You forgot to include the part where she escaped the machete attacker at Grand Anse Beach after she missed the last bus from Umbrellas because she got too drunk!

You could not stay in Grenada for more than six terms even if you paid SGU to let you stay there. Contrary to what some here believe, most all of the students are competent and very hard working. Most do not even need to decel.

The fantasy scenario you describe could however occur at one of the lesser known schools but you wanted to use SGU for your story lol.

And you wonder why this site has no credibility whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, don't troll.

I have the handbook from 2016-2017. It clearly says you can decel one term only during basic scienes and you must pass the repeated term to continue. At SGU you are dismissed if you fail a course...that's why they offer you one chance to decel but you need to withdraw from that course prior to the final exam.

The story of the imaginary student was entertaining. You forgot to include the part where she escaped the machete attacker at Grand Anse Beach after she missed the last bus from Umbrellas because she got too drunk!

You could not stay in Grenada for more than six terms even if you paid SGU to let you stay there. Contrary to what some here believe, most all of the students are competent and very hard working. Most do not even need to decel.

The fantasy scenario you describe could however occur at one of the lesser known schools but you wanted to use SGU for your story lol.

And you wonder why this site has no credibility whatsoever.

I cannot speak for policy changes that took place after 2015 (perhaps rules changed when SGU was bought out in 2014 by an investment firm) but this story is absolute truth. I decelerated a term myself, as so was quite aware of the faces of failure that were held back with me. Some of them, like me, straightened out and graduated the same year as we were meant to (I was January class) without further failures. Others fell further and further back, but remained on the island.

You can choose not to believe me, but to openly mock me is to mock classmates who were were caught in SGUs money making scheme.

I cannot speak for policy changes that took place after 2015 (perhaps rules changed when SGU was bought out in 2014 by an investment firm) but this story is absolute truth. I decelerated a term myself, as so was quite aware of the faces of failure that were held back with me. Some of them, like me, straightened out and graduated the same year as we were meant to (I was January class) without further failures. Others fell further and further back, but remained on the island.

You can choose not to believe me, but to openly mock me is to mock classmates who were were caught in SGUs money making scheme.

Dude, just stop.

I really wished this forum wouldn't become war between Caribbean grads vs us grads. anyways how can we get "verified expert" badge as we actually went to Caribbean so we have inside knowledge vs someone who got kicked out want to give the school bad name as a revenge.

I think they understand that but they just don't want to admit to it because they are stubborn or set in their ways.

SGU and Ross are legitimate routes to an MD for those who would otherwise not get an MD stateside.

Beyond that, I don't think they understand the logistics of the open primary care positions during the match. US grads are not applying to some of the programs you listed and these programs RELY ON competent IMG physicians to fill those positions. That's just how it works in real life. I don't think that's how it works in the world of the Student Doctors Network lol.

That's actually a very decent match for Ross this year.
For a us student, the risk is too high.

I understand the appeal, still a huge risk, for those outside the US. But those folks are dealing with vastly different circumstances trying to get into a med school

For a us student, the risk is too high.

I understand the appeal, still a huge risk, for those outside the US. But those folks are dealing with vastly different circumstances trying to get into a med school

Well, those who don't want to go don't need to apply and those who want to take that route should get all the facts.

I don't know who your target audience is but anybody who has a family member in medicine knows that SGU is an option to go MD as opposed to some alternate career.

I only made a few posts to reach out to those students who don't have immediate family members in medicine who might be lost in this process and for whom SGU might be an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, those who don't want to go don't need to apply and those who want to take that route should get all the facts.

I don't know who your target audience is but anybody who has a family member in medicine knows that SGU is an option to go MD as opposed to some alternate career. Do you think those people come onto this site for your "advice?" lol

I only made a few posts to reach out to those students who don't have immediate family members in medicine who might be lost in this process and for whom SGU might be an option.

Also, why do you have 22000 posts?
it is an incredibly risky, to the point of being arguably inadvisable, option.

It's ok for us to disagree

it is an incredibly risky, to the point of being arguably inadvisable, option for some students who are not aware of the pros and cons of pursuing an MD degree offshore.

It's ok for us to disagree

You forgot to add the above. I corrected the statement for you.

I don't know who your target audience is but anybody who has a family member in medicine knows that SGU is an option to go MD as opposed to some alternate career. Do you think those people come onto this site for your "advice?" lol

Also, why do you have 22000 posts?

It doesn't matter how many posts someone has. What matters is the content of the posts. Go ahead and disagree, but there's no need to drag people for putting time and effort into this forum. You went and set up your "I'm a recent SGU grad. Ask me anything" thread, and put a plug in for SGU in many other threads, so I think anyone that is searching for answers about SGU for a recent grad on SDN, knows where to find them.

And, if someone wants the pre-med perspective, pro-SGU primer, they can check out anything written, on any thread by johncstudent32.

So what? what does that tell you?
That stat independently is meaningless. For instance, since Ross has rolling semesters, if you join in January, you could end up being due to graduate off cycle. You might decide to take 1 semester off to study for your step 1 and thus technically graduate over a period of time that is longer than 4 years (4.5years). You might take a few weeks between your clinical rotations with a similar effect. The student body of Ross is demographycally different from US schools. There are more international students (Canada), there are older, some of them with family and spouses and kids. Overall they are more likely to end up taking some time off, gaps or semesters off. Also, Ross has "Lower standards" and they will allow you to repeat and repeat again. This can be bad but this can also be good. I was one of the ones that repeated and succeded. I know someone that is a pulm-crit attending today that also repeated.
I graduated in 5 years.

Of all the numbers, the Match rate is the most important in my opinion. 85%ish first time is not impressive at all but its not terrifying either. Specially when you consider some of those applied before they were ready (happens every year. Advisors say to not apply this year if you don't have all your **** in order, such as step 2 scores, and then a bunch of people do so anyway and don't match first time around, however many go to match second time.
I think there are different starting date for clerkship, why do we have to wait entire year for it to start?