Fellowship after Residency from Ross?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhino5000

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a question for any Ross university graduate out there. I’ll be starting my med school journey at Ross soon, and I want to do internal medicine. I know IM shouldn’t be that hard to match into coming from Ross but I want to specialize in cardiology after. Anyone here from Ross have any insight on that or any experience getting into a fellowship after residency?
Thanks in advance guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a residency at all will actually not be easy. If you are from the US and want to practice here, don’t go to ross

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys I had a question for any Ross university graduate out there. I’ll be starting my med school journey at Ross soon, and I want to do internal medicine. I know IM shouldn’t be that hard to match into coming from Ross but I want to specialize in cardiology after. Anyone here from Ross have any insight on that or any experience getting into a fellowship after residency?

Yeah, matching in and of itself is gonna be difficult. Never mind matching one of the most competitive sub specialties in IM from a 3rd rate offshore med school. Good luck - you’ve got a lot of obstacles ahead

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean work on your application and go to a US school
This if you haven’t done all that you could have done to get into a US school...with the merger of ACGME and AOA for residency, this includes DO schools, but first choice is still USMD schools.

However if you have done everything and Ross is your only chance, then you need to do everything in the next 4 years to be at the top of your class and use your clinical years to make connections to get into the best IM program you can, ideally one that has a cards program that takes in house...fellowship has a significant component that is based on how you do in residency.
Will it be easy, no...is it possible, currently, yes...hard to say what happens in 7-8 years from now...

Reactions: 5 users
This if you haven’t done all that you could have done to get into a US school...with the merger of ACGME and AOA for residency, this includes DO schools, but first choice is still USMD schools.

However if you have done everything and Ross is your only chance, then you need to do everything in the next 4 years to be at the top of your class and use your clinical years to make connections to get into the best IM program you can, ideally one that has a cards program that takes in house...fellowship has a significant component that is based on how you do in residency.
Will it be easy, no...is it possible, currently, yes...hard to say what happens in 7-8 years from now...

I have been hearing of this AOA merger since before I was a med student. Is that actually happening?

Hello there. You are guilty of mentioning Caribbean schools in a med-forum and will be sentenced to hang by the neck until death.
I went to Ross university. With that out of the way let's see if I can help you a bit.

1.- Based on your statement, it seems you are decided/committed to go this way. I do not want to sway you but I wouldn't be giving you advice if I did not tell you to step back a second and analyze if this is the right thing to do. I don't care about your specialty choice at this point. I just want to make sure you are making the right school of medicine choice at this point.

If you have a mediocre (for medicine anyway) but not terrible GPA, lets say 3.6 (I don't even know whats considered good anymore but whatever) or above and you have an MCAT within 1 standard deviation from the median, there might be a chance that you could improve your application significantly and maybe match next year into US MD or even DO. If those are options at all, I urge you to consider that. Not only you might be able to skip the stigma associated with caribbean schools, but you might infact save $$ as well. Caribbean schools are expensive. Ross put a 500k whole in my bank (I do not regret it btw) and Ironically one of the reasons that I choose Ross was because I wanted to skip wasting time and money trying to improve my CV doing some masters or something. So to recap, if your application can REALISTICALLY be improved to such a degree that you could be accepted next cycle, consider that instead. I cannot help you with numbers, I don't know what makes for a competitive application to med-school anymore as it has been a long time for me and scores have changed a lot.

Now. Let's say you have no chance of getting into US or DO but you really REALLY love medicine. And let me be clear. I mean MEDICINE in general, not cardiology. It is called Medschool, not Cardschool. I make this observation to dispell any crazy ideas you might have. Cardiology, for you, is at best a decade away. Furthermore, in my experience, most people change their "ideal specialty" half a dozen times during med school and another half a dozen times during residency.

Residency won't be hard to get as a ross student. At least not under the current system. Forget what the no-sayers in the forum say (no xD) residency won't be that hard assuming you don't blow it badly. For instance, I had all the red flags you could possibly imagine. I had gaps in my medschool training, I was actually dismissed from the school and I appealed and put on probation, my step 1 was just 4 point (and within the standard error of the mean) of not passing and I got a dozen interviews and matched on my #1 program for IM residency. Now, this is an extreme (I made a thread a long time ago explaining my experience) but if I was able to do it, you can as well.

I have family members and friends that also went to ross and got into GI, Cards, Pulm-crit and other competitive sub-specialties without a problem. Some of them, like me, had to do an extra semester or probation. The program directors of the fellowships associated with my IM residency actually approached to me multiple times during my residency to encourage me to pursue fellowship and I am confident that I would have been accepted if I had applied.

Don't get me wrong, if you go to Ross, it seems unlikely that you will end up in a top 10 residency program or in a world-renowned cardiology fellowship. But chances are that if you really really work your ass off and you are a half-decent human being (believe me, personality DOES matter) you will get into a half-decent residency and you have a good chance of doing cards if that's what you want. That being said, doctors are smart. You won't be able to trick many into giving you something you have not earned. You cannot bull**** the rest of your career from now on.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello there. You are guilty of mentioning Caribbean schools in a med-forum and will be sentenced to hang by the neck until death.
I went to Ross university. With that out of the way let's see if I can help you a bit.

1.- Based on your statement, it seems you are decided/committed to go this way. I do not want to sway you but I wouldn't be giving you advice if I did not tell you to step back a second and analyze if this is the right thing to do. I don't care about your specialty choice at this point. I just want to make sure you are making the right school of medicine choice at this point.

If you have a mediocre (for medicine anyway) but not terrible GPA, lets say 3.6 (I don't even know whats considered good anymore but whatever) or above and you have an MCAT within 1 standard deviation from the median, there might be a chance that you could improve your application significantly and maybe match next year into US MD or even DO. If those are options at all, I urge you to consider that. Not only you might be able to skip the stigma associated with caribbean schools, but you might infact save $$ as well. Caribbean schools are expensive. Ross put a 500k whole in my bank (I do not regret it btw) and Ironically one of the reasons that I choose Ross was because I wanted to skip wasting time and money trying to improve my CV doing some masters or something. So to recap, if your application can REALISTICALLY be improved to such a degree that you could be accepted next cycle, consider that instead. I cannot help you with numbers, I don't know what makes for a competitive application to med-school anymore as it has been a long time for me and scores have changed a lot.

Now. Let's say you have no chance of getting into US or DO but you really REALLY love medicine. And let me be clear. I mean MEDICINE in general, not cardiology. It is called Medschool, not Cardschool. I make this observation to dispell any crazy ideas you might have. Cardiology, for you, is at best a decade away. Furthermore, in my experience, most people change their "ideal specialty" half a dozen times during med school and another half a dozen times during residency.

Residency won't be hard to get as a ross student. At least not under the current system. Forget what the no-sayers in the forum say (no xD) residency won't be that hard assuming you don't blow it badly. For instance, I had all the red flags you could possibly imagine. I had gaps in my medschool training, I was actually dismissed from the school and I appealed and put on probation, my step 1 was just 4 point (and within the standard error of the mean) of not passing and I got a dozen interviews and matched on my #1 program for IM residency. Now, this is an extreme (I made a thread a long time ago explaining my experience) but if I was able to do it, you can as well.

I have family members and friends that also went to ross and got into GI, Cards, Pulm-crit and other competitive sub-specialties without a problem. Some of them, like me, had to do an extra semester or probation. The program directors of the fellowships associated with my IM residency actually approached to me multiple times during my residency to encourage me to pursue fellowship and I am confident that I would have been accepted if I had applied.

Don't get me wrong, if you go to Ross, it seems unlikely that you will end up in a top 10 residency program or in a world-renowned cardiology fellowship. But chances are that if you really really work your ass off and you are a half-decent human being (believe me, personality DOES matter) you will get into a half-decent residency and you have a good chance of doing cards if that's what you want. That being said, doctors are smart. You won't be able to trick many into giving you something you have not earned. You cannot bull**** the rest of your career from now on.
What percent of ross matriculants end up in a categorical residency 4yrs later? Because their own website shows a less than 50% graduation rate in 4 yrs and not all those graduates got a residency

What percent of ross matriculants end up in a categorical residency 4yrs later? Because their own website shows a less than 50% graduation rate in 4 yrs and not all those graduates got a residency
According to Wikipedia:
According to the US Department of Education, 64.4% of students completed the program on time in 2017.[21][22]

In 2016, the university reported a residency match rate of 86% among first-time eligible applicants.[23] In 2016, the university reported first-time pass rates for the USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2 CK, and USMLE Step 2 CS were 93%, 87%, and 94%, respectively.[24]

RUSM had a self-reported USMLE Step 1 first-time pass rate of 96%, but didn't explain how the numbers were calculated.[25]
The attrition rate is large, that's not surprising.
The first-time match rate is definitely not good but it isn't terrible either. Do you know what is the first-time match rate of people that didn't go to Med school? 0.00%.
Look, saying that Ross (or any Caribbean school for that matter) is not the optimal choice would be an understatement. My post clearly states that and even Ross's own advertisement put themselves as a 2nd tier option for less-than-perfect applicants. Numbers-wise, I was a ****ty applicant and I got in the first time for my first choice so we are not talking about winning the lottery here, the chances are decent if you do better than average and their average isn't that great, to begin with.
If the OP has near-zero chances of getting into USMD or DO, Ross is a decent choice assuming he/she is mature enough to work his/her ass harder than ever before.
Defeatist or elitist attitude doesn't help anyone.

Reactions: 1 users
According to Wikipedia:
According to the US Department of Education, 64.4% of students completed the program on time in 2017.[21][22]

In 2016, the university reported a residency match rate of 86% among first-time eligible applicants.[23] In 2016, the university reported first-time pass rates for the USMLE Step 1, USMLE Step 2 CK, and USMLE Step 2 CS were 93%, 87%, and 94%, respectively.[24]

RUSM had a self-reported USMLE Step 1 first-time pass rate of 96%, but didn't explain how the numbers were calculated.[25]
The attrition rate is large, that's not surprising.
The first-time match rate is definitely not good but it isn't terrible either. Do you know what is the first-time match rate of people that didn't go to Med school? 0.00%.
Look, saying that Ross (or any Caribbean school for that matter) is not the optimal choice would be an understatement. My post clearly states that and even Ross's own advertisement put themselves as a 2nd tier option for less-than-perfect applicants. Numbers-wise, I was a ****ty applicant and I got in the first time for my first choice so we are not talking about winning the lottery here, the chances are decent if you do better than average and their average isn't that great, to begin with.
If the OP has near-zero chances of getting into USMD or DO, Ross is a decent choice assuming he/she is mature enough to work his/her ass harder than ever before.
Defeatist or elitist attitude doesn't help anyone.

click the "retention rate" question. <50% is not a "decent choice"

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much. This is the type of answer I was looking for. Also if I may ask, do you think going to SGU instead of Ross would increase my chances of getting a better residency and then fellowship? Or is the difference btw the schools not really significant?

click the "retention rate" question. <50% is not a "decent choice"
Where did you find this "<50%" and in regards to what specific statistic? I am confused now.

Thank you so much. This is the type of answer I was looking for. Also if I may ask, do you think going to SGU instead of Ross would increase my chances of getting a better residency and then fellowship? Or is the difference btw the schools not really significant?
I don't think it would make much difference if any at all other than which one you might tolerate more/enjoy due to personal preferences. I hated Dominica campus but now ross is in the Bahamas so arguably it might be a bit better now.
As for matching, I don't think it will matter. Anecdotally/observation wise, I find that some programs accept more SGU residents and others more ROSS, might have something to do with the makeup of the faculty (maybe some faculty graduated for either one?) or their experience with previous residents but overall it would be the same kind of deal.

their site shows 46% graduated in 4yrs
So what? what does that tell you?
That stat independently is meaningless. For instance, since Ross has rolling semesters, if you join in January, you could end up being due to graduate off cycle. You might decide to take 1 semester off to study for your step 1 and thus technically graduate over a period of time that is longer than 4 years (4.5years). You might take a few weeks between your clinical rotations with a similar effect. The student body of Ross is demographycally different from US schools. There are more international students (Canada), there are older, some of them with family and spouses and kids. Overall they are more likely to end up taking some time off, gaps or semesters off. Also, Ross has "Lower standards" and they will allow you to repeat and repeat again. This can be bad but this can also be good. I was one of the ones that repeated and succeded. I know someone that is a pulm-crit attending today that also repeated.
I graduated in 5 years.

Of all the numbers, the Match rate is the most important in my opinion. 85%ish first time is not impressive at all but its not terrifying either. Specially when you consider some of those applied before they were ready (happens every year. Advisors say to not apply this year if you don't have all your **** in order, such as step 2 scores, and then a bunch of people do so anyway and don't match first time around, however many go to match second time.

As an sgu grad, I would say sgu and Ross are pretty much the same as far as opportunity...they both have pre clinicals that are modeled after US schools, they are both well established in the US for their clinicals and their students match into residency programs.

I chose sgu over Ross mostly due to knowing a person that had gone to sgu and they were more east coast centered ( this was also 2004, so things no doubt have changed).

Again, make sure this is your only option...I applied to 2 rounds in the US and wait listed both years...short of getting a PhD, I wasn’t going to improve enough to strengthen my application...

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it would make much difference if any at all other than which one you might tolerate more/enjoy due to personal preferences. I hated Dominica campus but now ross is in the Bahamas so arguably it might be a bit better now.
As for matching, I don't think it will matter. Anecdotally/observation wise, I find that some programs accept more SGU residents and others more ROSS, might have something to do with the makeup of the faculty (maybe some faculty graduated for either one?) or their experience with previous residents but overall it would be the same kind of deal.
Barbados not Bahamas

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah it was one of the last hurricanes that decimated the island. I knew it had relocated but Barbados, Bahamans, pffs they both start with Ba... easy to confuse!

I went to SGU and am doing cards. Feel free to PM me.

Will it be possible? Yes. But extremely difficult. People have matched cards from the carribean but I'm worried years from now, the fellowship match is going to be a bloodbath. Everyone and their mother wants to do cards/gi, so itll be extremely competitive, more so than it already is. At this point, just do your best and try to get into a strong IM program...also, with s1 being p/f now, I'm not sure what impact that will have on IMGs but my guess is it won't be good.

just want to point out that USMLE step 1 is pass fail only now...so going to Ross is an even poorer decision, as residencies will tilt more to name brand schools than ever before without the step 1 score as an equalizer.

just want to point out that USMLE step 1 is pass fail only now...so going to Ross is an even poorer decision, as residencies will tilt more to name brand schools than ever before without the step 1 score as an equalizer.
For the moment (2021 anyway) it will just shift to using CK as the equalizer.

For those of you with a wild imagination, I have a quote (unclear who said it, but it is regardless wise and pertinent).

"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future".

Nobody is clear what step1 pass/fail will do for admissions. I have heard a dozen different theories.
The one thing that has been true until now is that other things OTHER than step 1 are also important. Step 2, grades during clinical, letters of recommendation, have provided a good image of yourself when doing interview rotations, extra-curricular/research and whether or not you behave like a mentally sane human being during the interview.

I've heard horror stories of things that applicants say or do during the interview and my first instinct is to assume the interviewer is exaggerating, but then I read some of the stuff some people post in here and I realize it is likely true.

I'm a Ross grad (I love all the "experts" on Carib schools on here. hahahaha). If you want to know anything, about anything, just ask in here and you will find experts in every topic... amazing!
I matched my top choice (IM) and 5/10 of my resident class were Carib grads. One other was SGU grad, all others were from VERY low tier Carib schools. Windsor Medical Grad (very, very, very low tier school) matched into Hem/Onc, UMHS grads matched GI and Endocrine, and the SGU grad matched into Palliative care. I did a non-ACGME subspecialty fellowship (andrology) at Harvard (Beth Israel) and actually just matched into a preventive medicine program at Rutgers (plan to do Army Medicine for a few years). All the others in my program were USMD or USDO grads and none of them matched into fellowship and now are hating life as hospitalist. My co-worker is an IMG and did IM in NYC, and matched cards at Harvard (Beth Israel) a few years ago and is an associate faculty member at HMS now.
**However, just know that most Ross students who flunk out, do so early on. They give people a chance, who wouldn't have one in the US schools. Many people can't handle it. Two points I would make. It may be better to go to a US DO school if you can get admitted. The second is, don't worry about fellowships when you haven't even done one day of medical school. Crawl, walk, then run.

Can you provide any reason or evidence why top tiered school graduates have ANY more advantage with P/F than they have today? I bet a a student with a barely passing step score from Harvard gets more interviews than a 240 from a standard state school. Here is a little fact.. there will still be the same number of residencies and the same number of students.. not matter if step 1 is scored or P/F. It isn't like foreign grads are getting in ABOVE US grads anyway, so how does this hurt IMGs?

I'm a Ross grad (I love all the "experts" on Carib schools on here. hahahaha). If you want to know anything, about anything, just ask in here and you will find experts in every topic... amazing!
I matched my top choice (IM) and 5/10 of my resident class were Carib grads. One other was SGU grad, all others were from VERY low tier Carib schools. Windsor Medical Grad (very, very, very low tier school) matched into Hem/Onc, UMHS grads matched GI and Endocrine, and the SGU grad matched into Palliative care. I did a non-ACGME subspecialty fellowship (andrology) at Harvard (Beth Israel) and actually just matched into a preventive medicine program at Rutgers (plan to do Army Medicine for a few years). All the others in my program were USMD or USDO grads and none of them matched into fellowship and now are hating life as hospitalist. My co-worker is an IMG and did IM in NYC, and matched cards at Harvard (Beth Israel) a few years ago and is an associate faculty member at HMS now.
**However, just know that most Ross students who flunk out, do so early on. They give people a chance, who wouldn't have one in the US schools. Many people can't handle it. Two points I would make. It may be better to go to a US DO school if you can get admitted. The second is, don't worry about fellowships when you haven't even done one day of medical school. Crawl, walk, then run.
You are a physician bro (aka a scientist)... Stop talking about anecdotes. Look at the data.

You are a physician bro (aka a scientist)... Stop talking about anecdotes. Look at the data.
Well "bro", I am also a product of practical application. You can tell me drug x doesn't work from some published paper (of a sample size). However, if I use it every single day for 20 years and I see clinically that it does does, you can take your paper and eat it. I just gave you a 50% success rate in a case series that I personally experienced (and more if you include my one co-worker). Do you have the graduation and match rate data? The attrition rate will skew the numbers. However, I am sure you have looked at the conditional probability of getting accepted into a low entry school, with graduating and matching (and only taking into account the top 3 Carib schools and not confound your data with using "all" Carib or foreign graduates).

Well "bro", I am also a product of practical application. You can tell me drug x doesn't work from some published paper (of a sample size). However, if I use it every single day for 20 years and I see clinically that it does does, you can take your paper and eat it. I just gave you a 50% success rate in a case series that I personally experienced (and more if you include my one co-worker). Do you have the graduation and match rate data? The attrition rate will skew the numbers. However, I am sure you have looked at the conditional probability of getting accepted into a low entry school, with graduating and matching (and only taking into account the top 3 Carib schools and not confound your data with using "all" Carib or foreign graduates).
Hmmm...by my count at least 3 of us here ARE Caribbean grads...so yeah, we are as much of an expert as you claim to be...
And great! You matched your top choice... however you choices were limited by the fact that you went to a Caribbean school... if you really think that it wasn’t, you fooled yourself to make yourself feel better.

And dude...preventative medicine? It’s not like it’s competitive...heck all you need is an intern year in something done to do that...

First, being a physician, or a scientist for that matter does not mean that you will act rationally and/or data-driven. There is an obvious example that I could point out that would illustrate this but probably wouldn't sit well with over 90% of the US population or ~75% of this demographic and thus I would refrain to pointing it out. If you think you got the hint, please just keep it to yourself.

Second, the data is not THAT bad. Yes, it compares poorly with US med schools but if you can get into US med school, go f.king ahead and do so, nobody is suggesting or asking or implying that going into ROSS is better. In fact, everyone that has said "positive" things about ROSS always put the disclaimer "it's not going to be easy, think it through, then think it again, then get drunk, go to bed, wake up the next day and think it three more times...".

Finally, no data is a fair comparison regardless. ROSS's (and other carib. school) alumni is very diverse and some of this diversity can be detrimental for applications. As a general rule Rossies are older, are more likely to have family or a previous career and more likely to need immigration arrangement (aka Canadian students) all of which can contribute to attrition, lower step scores and sub-optimal match.

Hmmm...by my count at least 3 of us here ARE Caribbean grads...so yeah, we are as much of an expert as you claim to be...
And great! You matched your top choice... however you choices were limited by the fact that you went to a Caribbean school... if you really think that it wasn’t, you fooled yourself to make yourself feel better.

And dude...preventative medicine? It’s not like it’s competitive...heck all you need is an intern year in something done to do that...
And you are in which specialty? Let me guess. Dermatology.. with a 262 step 1 and 270 step 2? hahah. I am just speaking as a Caribbean grad who has been through the process, so I am not sure what criteria one would need to be an "expert".
My options were limited because I was a Carib grad, no doubt. However, I had 17 interview invites, went to 12, interviewed for IM, IM/PEDs at university programs (out of 30 places applied to).

I interviewed for preventive medicine at Hopkins, Yale, and Rutgers. I ranked Rutgers as my #1 because of their VA Wartime Illness and Injury Center. I guess you don't realize how few PM programs and spots there are and how competitive it actually is. Most applicants have advanced degrees and board certification in their primary area of training. In fact, the only reason I was able to gain these interviews is because I have a masters from Harvard and did research with their occupational medicine residency/public school of public health program. So, that LoR went a long way.

Anyway, thanks for the attempted dig and trying to make some comment about someone's specialty or match. That shows real class.

To the OP.

If you can get into a US school then push for it. With the merger, life for foreign grads will be harder. However, if you have exhausted all your chances and you feel you have a shot at going abroad to study then go. Remember, you have to work hard and have an unblemished transcript.
Don’t worry about fellowship and all. Once you get in a residency and kick ass, you will get Into any fellowship (well most). I’m saying this I have mates who have done it. It’s all about hard work and dedication, oh, and making positive connections.

Reading through some reply’s on here it’s really aggravating when I see or read US vs Foreign grad. Stupid! Mad stupid. Rather than us doctors unite to wall off our Noble profession from midlevel encroachment we rather fight other MDs because they didn’t go to school here.

Reactions: 3 users
I’d really caution people against Caribbean schools. The only thing that would make them competitive in the past was a very strong Step 1 (and otherwise unblemished record). That’s true of all FMGs. But now with step 1 being p/f, and with the merger with DO, I would say it’ll be very difficult to stay competitive.

Always try to get into US medical school, MD or DO. If that fails, and you get acceptance to Caribbean school, then think about two things. 1st, how bad do you really want to be a physician? 2nd, are you willing to be a physician for reality of possibly owing $400K-$500K in loans by the time you get done with residency. If both those answers is yes, then go for it. The financial hole you put yourself in by having loans that deep has significant impact on your life after residency. Lots of students/residents complain about being that deep in loans, but then they forget they signed up for it in the first place. Finances do matter in life, don't forget that. Medical school is an investment of not only your time but also significant money, make sure the returns are worth it.

If parents paying for Caribbean med school, then absolutely go for it.

Serious question..
1: Can anyone actually show any data that step one scores have actually helped Carib (or IMGs) in the past? Even when Step 1 is P/F, there will still be the same number of students in the match and the same number of spots. US MDs have a 97-98% match rate and the one's who don't match are usually because they only applied to Derm at Harvard (you get the point). DO's still have their own DO residency spots and even have the MD (ACGME spots). So, I think Step 1 scores only give Carib grads a marker against other IMGs. I guess we can revisit this in a few weeks when the new match takes place and data is available on the number of DO grads and IMGs who matched (even though the NRMP doesn't divide Carib vs other IMGs).

2. All the US MD grads I know had around the same amount of loans I did. Owing $400K and making $280K plus sign-on bonus (plus loan reimbursement incentives) doesn't make $400K look like a bad return on investment. And.. I live in Boston were in my zip code a simple studio apartment is $600,000-700,000! My friends in the Southeast are buying huge homes for $300,000 and paid their loans off in 2-5 years. A few didn't pay a cent and their hospitals paid them off over a 5 year contract as an incentive to keep them (saves on recruiting costs, etc). Ask any investor if they would invest $400K (even with interest) for a $250K + per year return for 20-30 years. Even with interest, that is a 10 times return with in 20 years alone. $250K after taxes would still yield a 7 times return in 20 years (and that includes interest paid). If you start working by 35 years old, you can add another 10 years to those numbers, so $1.7 million net pay or $2.5 million gross. So, accounting for interest and taking out taxes, you still have a lifetime (30-year) GAIN of $4,85,000. Day one out of residency you are in the top 2-5% of money-earners in the US. Who wouldn't sign up for that, from a financial stand point?

I agree with you on both count

1. The data show Carib students have lower average step score for the same GME spot than their US counterpart.

2. You are correct that a 250k/year (net 150k/yr) is GREAT for even a 500k investment given the job security in medicine.

The issue is what one has to do to get there... We are just telling people to exhaust their US option (MD/DO) at least 2-3 cycles before going to the Caribbean because there is no room for errors. For instance, one of my classmates had to retake both step1/2, and he still matched FM. Do Carib students have the luxury to fail a step (let alone both) and still match FM/IM?

Last edited:
Serious question..
1: Can anyone actually show any data that step one scores have actually helped Carib (or IMGs) in the past? Even when Step 1 is P/F, there will still be the same number of students in the match and the same number of spots. US MDs have a 97-98% match rate and the one's who don't match are usually because they only applied to Derm at Harvard (you get the point). DO's still have their own DO residency spots and even have the MD (ACGME spots). So, I think Step 1 scores only give Carib grads a marker against other IMGs. I guess we can revisit this in a few weeks when the new match takes place and data is available on the number of DO grads and IMGs who matched (even though the NRMP doesn't divide Carib vs other IMGs).

2. All the US MD grads I know had around the same amount of loans I did. Owing $400K and making $280K plus sign-on bonus (plus loan reimbursement incentives) doesn't make $400K look like a bad return on investment. And.. I live in Boston were in my zip code a simple studio apartment is $600,000-700,000! My friends in the Southeast are buying huge homes for $300,000 and paid their loans off in 2-5 years. A few didn't pay a cent and their hospitals paid them off over a 5 year contract as an incentive to keep them (saves on recruiting costs, etc). Ask any investor if they would invest $400K (even with interest) for a $250K + per year return for 20-30 years. Even with interest, that is a 10 times return with in 20 years alone. $250K after taxes would still yield a 7 times return in 20 years (and that includes interest paid). If you start working by 35 years old, you can add another 10 years to those numbers, so $1.7 million net pay or $2.5 million gross. So, accounting for interest and taking out taxes, you still have a lifetime (30-year) GAIN of $4,85,000. Day one out of residency you are in the top 2-5% of money-earners in the US. Who wouldn't sign up for that, from a financial standpoint?

I am sorry, please do not take it personally but I think most of this post is non-sense.
This is exactly how people should not make a decision on how to spend their next ~40 or so years of their life. Tell you what, if we up the number to $20 million, would you be willing to spend the next 30-40 years of your life as a professional prisoner (AKA, your job is to stay in a prison cell 24/7)?

I am willing to bet that 90%+ that ends up going to medicine based on that analysis that you just made would either drop out halfway (or before halfway) or be completely miserable for the rest of their working days not to mention a ****ty doctor.

Guess what, there is a much simpler way to get far more money. Get out of school as soon as you can, get a commercial vehicle license and start driving a truck. 100k/year is not that difficult and it cost you much less than medical school!

The internet is tired of making countless comparisons of MD vs "insert your job here". Depending on the comparison and assumptions, mathematically it could take until the 5th or 6th decade of both individuals so that the MD starts pulling ahead. That is not an insignificant gamble, and it is not worth it on itself.

I am not saying that $$ should not be a variable. It is, and it should always be considered for any job. I don't care if your passion is to polish left sided counterclockwise brass screws of red wheelbarrows. If there is not a market for that you are wasting your time.

I see a trend here... As an analogy, a guy enters a restaurant, he got $15 and he is very hungry. The menu has chicken parmesan for $14 which he can afford (ignore tax/tip) and filet mignon for $20 which he cannot. You guys are telling this guy that the chicken parmesan is not worth it... Point being, I'm confident that 99%+ of people that can go to US med school/DO will try that.

It should be a red flag when the handful of people that actually attended ROSS, went through a residency (and some fellowship) offer a warning but other way say it is something to consider/viable... vs the other bunch that simply goes into a rant of hate and misery when they don't really have the experience at all.

And finally the predictions... This is a multibillion-dollar business (Caribbean schools in general, not saying ROSS alone is worth this). I'd take the predictions of the guy in a forum posting on his pajamas with a grain of salt. These "predictions" are of no higher value or accuracy than the people in charge of running this business. In the 10y+ I have been perusing these forums I have heard dozens of "the sky is falling in flames" end-of-world type apocalyptic cries from many people and the vast majority of these predictions do not materialize or the effects are 1000% milder than the worse case scenario people freak out about.

In short, if MD US is an option either now or with some minor tweaks. This is a no-brainer. take this option
If DO is an option, take it.
If the only way to become a doctor is Caribbean school and you know this is the job you want to do for the next 30 or so years and you dont mind that you will work harder then Caribbean is a reasonable option.

I don't care about the match rate of school X or school Y. The match rate of not having an MD is 0.00%

Last edited:
Nothing in your post was taken personally. I didn't say to make a decision to go into medicine for money. I didn't say Ross or any Carib school was the best choice.. or medicine as a profession. We are talking about people who already have decided to go, or have gone, and the topic being addressed was the student loan debt. My point, if read in its context of prior posts, was that the debt was not as big of an issue as many try to make it out to be. If you only read my last post, then I would ask that you take a few more minutes to either read back further in context, or to ask me to explain my point if you have questions.

Med school or not, people usually go to college so they can obtain a higher paying job (unless you are doing 16th century French poetry at Harvard and rack up $250K in debt to "expand your horizons"). If money isn't or shouldn't be a topic, then everyone shouldn't worry about the debt amount either, since one can do income based payments. In my opinion, anyone who decided to go into medicine and didn't consider the debt and future income would be the FIRST to quit or burn out, because they never considered a little thing called the real world. I see these poor souls everyday and they are the ones who tell everyone NOT to go into medicine, because it wasn't the fantasy career they imagined.

I think anyone who went to any Carib school would tell you to try for a US school first. However, it isn't the education that creates that. It is the outright discrimination from US grads who think they are elitist because they went to a US med school, get more interviews and residencies, yet score lower on boards. The discrimination from residency programs, being treated less-than during rotations, and even the look colleagues give when you tell them you graduated from a Carib med school; all without considering your clinical skills. I will out my education, my scores, my performance and skill-set against any US med school grad, any day of the week. But, I will also tell anyone who wants to go to a Carib med school, they should try to get into a US school because they will forever be treated as a second-class physician in one way or another. I am not a "proud" Ross graduate. I am a proud MD, who paid every penny for my education and I earned every grade and board score along the way. Ross did exactly what I paid them to do, provide teachers and classrooms and the opportunity for me to get into a residency. Everything else, I did for myself.

I know many successful Caribbean grads who completed competitive residencies and fellowships. Immense respect to these guys and gals, because the odds were against them the entire way. I also know many who were unsuccessful at matching to any residency program. Do everything you can to go to a US MD/DO school. If you can’t get in and are thinking of going abroad, know the risks of going abroad before choosing to go.

I am sorry, please do not take it personally but I think most of this post is non-sense.
This is exactly how people should not make a decision on how to spend their next ~40 or so years of their life. Tell you what, if we up the number to $20 million, would you be willing to spend the next 30-40 years of your life as a professional prisoner (AKA, your job is to stay in a prison cell 24/7)?

I am willing to bet that 90%+ that ends up going to medicine based on that analysis that you just made would either drop out halfway (or before halfway) or be completely miserable for the rest of their working days not to mention a ****ty doctor.

Guess what, there is a much simpler way to get far more money. Get out of school as soon as you can, get a commercial vehicle license and start driving a truck. 100k/year is not that difficult and it cost you much less than medical school!

The internet is tired of making countless comparisons of MD vs "insert your job here". Depending on the comparison and assumptions, mathematically it could take until the 5th or 6th decade of both individuals so that the MD starts pulling ahead. That is not an insignificant gamble, and it is not worth it on itself.

I am not saying that $$ should not be a variable. It is, and it should always be considered for any job. I don't care if your passion is to polish left sided counterclockwise brass screws of red wheelbarrows. If there is not a market for that you are wasting your time.

I see a trend here... As an analogy, a guy enters a restaurant, he got $15 and he is very hungry. The menu has chicken parmesan for $14 which he can afford (ignore tax/tip) and filet mignon for $20 which he cannot. You guys are telling this guy that the chicken parmesan is not worth it... Point being, I'm confident that 99%+ of people that can go to US med school/DO will try that.

It should be a red flag when the handful of people that actually attended ROSS, went through a residency (and some fellowship) offer a warning but other way say it is something to consider/viable... vs the other bunch that simply goes into a rant of hate and misery when they don't really have the experience at all.

And finally the predictions... This is a multibillion-dollar business (Caribbean schools in general, not saying ROSS alone is worth this). I'd take the predictions of the guy in a forum posting on his pajamas with a grain of salt. These "predictions" are of no higher value or accuracy than the people in charge of running this business. In the 10y+ I have been perusing these forums I have heard dozens of "the sky is falling in flames" end-of-world type apocalyptic cries from many people and the vast majority of these predictions do not materialize or the effects are 1000% milder than the worse case scenario people freak out about.

In short, if MD US is an option either now or with some minor tweaks. This is a no-brainer. take this option
If DO is an option, take it.
If the only way to become a doctor is Caribbean school and you know this is the job you want to do for the next 30 or so years and you dont mind that you will work harder then Caribbean is a reasonable option.

I don't care about the match rate of school X or school Y. The match rate of not having an MD is 0.00%
He’s trolling...best not to keep answering him.

He’s trolling...best not to keep answering him.
Perhaps. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt. In any event, I do like to set the record straight for any unsuspecting reader that might get a completely skewed idea based on specific posts.

Perhaps. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt. In any event, I do like to set the record straight for any unsuspecting reader that might get a completely skewed idea based on specific posts.
It is always nice to have an altruistic Yoda-like guide show up and give us their take on things. However, why not allow people to read all the posts and make their own decisions? Someone reading this forum apparently is going into medicine. If they can't interpret information, or rely 100% on SDN for their "fact-based" decision making, they are already in trouble.