Falsely accused of cheating. IA on school record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sallym

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am about to graduate with a bachelors from public university. about 2 years ago i was accused of cheating on a lab assignment in a bio class. I was collaborating with my lab partner on our assignment (which was encouraged in this case) and my TA thought our answers looked copied because our shorthand and indentation was the same. She reported it to student conduct without discussing it with me first. I tried to fight it but the person reviewing my case felt that it was "more likely than not" that me and the other student had copied off of each other. My lab partner had already been sanctioned for cheating in the same lab that same semester on an assignment unrelated to me so this was her second time in a two week period being caught for cheating in the same class.
I have never had anything like this on my record and I have never been accused of anything since then. This sanction will be on my school record for another five years and medical schools will be able to see this if they contact my school for this information, however it is not on my transcript.
I already do not have a very high gpa and I plan to apply to masters programs to raise my gpa after taking a gap year. Right now my gpa is 3.15
I am currently trying to get this expunged from my record, however my school does not have a specific process to do this. I have talked to a number of people and everyone says they cannot help me and turn me away. I feel as though being honest and denying the accusation is hurting me and people would rather hear me be apologetic and remorseful.
My questions are:
are my chances of getting into medical school over?
How should i go about trying to get this expunged?
If i cannot get it expunged, how should i explain myself to medical schools?
Should I wait 5 years to apply anywhere?

medical school is my dream and has been for as long as i can remember. what happened to me is in no way an indicator of my values as a person. I have never cheated in my life and i feel as though i have been treated very unfairly. In any case, i have learned and grown a lot since this incident and I just want to put it behind me somehow.
Please help me. Im at a loss and i dont know what to do anymore. This situation is eating away at me constantly and I desperately need some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to report this on your application, even if it gets erase from your record. If ANYONE somehow finds out that you lied about this, you will be kicked out of med school.

What you did was technically plaigiarism. Sure you can work on an assignment together, but it has to be your own work.

I think it would be best to put as much time as you can between that incident and your application to med school, so yes, you'll probably have to wait a few years. Do some extracurriculars that show you are a responsible person. And get the gpa up.

I dont see any way you can expunge this 2 years later. You could try getting an appointment with the dean/person who is responsible for making decisions academic dishonesty claims

Last edited:
You essentially were issued an IA for cheating, which sort-of discredits a good portion of your academic achievements because of the possibility that your accomplishments involved some sort of cheating.

The best course of action would distance yourself from this IA (2 years is not enough, IMO), and improve your ECs to show that you've changed as a person and that the person who received an IA many years ago has learned their lesson and is ready to move on.