WAMC? Academic IA. Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi
I will be graduating in 2024 and will be applying for the 2024-25 cycle. I would appreciate feedback on which schools to apply to or how to improve my application with an IA.

GPA 3.96 (sGPA 3.95)
MCAT 518 (132/124/132/130)
MA resident
Asian ORM
1000+ hours clinical (paid)
100 hours clinical (volunteer)
250+ hours non-clinical volunteering
750 hours research (2 labs without any publications - 1 possible but not sure)
80 hours shadowing (3 different specialties)
Student leader in 3 different university organizations
Chemistry peer tutor (40 hours)

IA - This happened the first semester of my freshman year (during COVID-19 in 2020). I created a public Google Drive and stored my chemistry lab reports there. I was found to be in violation of the academic code of conduct for uploading course materials on the internet. I received a reprimand and a grade penalty but it doesn't show up on my transcript.
I am not trying to make excuses but the online learning format was confusing and I did not realize what I was doing wrong back then. I have grown from this incident and I have, of course, been more careful with my assignments and my work. Any advice on what I can do or show that I have grown from this? I have a squeaky clean record since then.

School List
  1. Harvard
  2. Stanford
  3. UMich
  4. Columbia U
  5. UCLA
  6. Mayo
  7. Northwestern
  8. Pritzker
  9. Pitt
  10. Emory
  11. NYU
  12. UVA
  13. Brown
  14. Mt. Sinai
  15. Case Western
  16. Cincinnati
  17. Vermont
  18. Rochester
  19. Indiana U
  20. U of Wisconsin
  21. Einstein
  22. Maryland U
  23. Dartmouth
  24. U of Miami
  25. USF
  26. Boston U
  27. Wake
  28. UMass
  29. Tufts
  30. Georgetown
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I created a public Google Drive and stored my chemistry lab reports there. I was found to be in violation of the academic code of conduct for uploading course materials on the internet. I received a reprimand and a grade penalty but it doesn't show up on my transcript.
Work with your student conduct office. As written, I'm not satisfied with your violation description or evidence of contrition. Your own lab reports don't usually constitute "course materials," and why did you make this folder public and discoverable? I don't think it would be considered a really big problem if described properly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do your 250+ hours of nonclinical volunteering consist of?
Do you have any primary care shadowing?
What are all of those hours of clinical volunteering including?

Reactions: 1 user
Not 100% sure but I don’t think that IA would be held against you that much (agree with Mr.Smile12, just make sure to explain it properly). Your MCAT science sections are great but not sure how the 124 in CARS will look for some of the schools on your list. Still worth a shot though. Best of luck

Work with your student conduct office. As written, I'm not satisfied with your violation description or evidence of contrition. Your own lab reports don't usually constitute "course materials," and why did you make this folder public and discoverable? I don't think it would be considered a really big problem if described properly.
Thank you for the feedback. Yeah, I tried talking to my professor about this but they were adamant about it back then because they were of the view that the lab reports were derived from lab materials. I was just a freshman and was just navigating the online learning format. I never realized it was actually public until I was informed about it. It was a stupid mistake and it's a mark on my record but I don't know how I would go about this. It wasn't intentional, it was just careless from my end. I have, since, paid extra attention to all my assignment submissions and double-check every submission. I am not sure what else I could have done or should do to show adcoms that I have learned from my mistake. So if I am clear about it and make sure to describe it properly, it won't be a big problem, right? Are there any schools that I should be aware of that would automatically reject me based on an IA?

Last edited:
What do your 250+ hours of nonclinical volunteering consist of?
Do you have any primary care shadowing?
What are all of those hours of clinical volunteering including?
They include volunteering at a food pantry, veterans home, Alzheimer's home (200 hours combined), and the rest 50-60 at various organizations in my city over 4 years serving mostly underserved populations. (I might be estimating some of these hours. Could be somewhere from 240-260)
I don't. Should I? I have it in 4 different specialties (onco/benign heme, gastro, cardio).
Clinical volunteering was me going around inpatient wards and giving out books, blankets, toiletries and sometimes reading to patients.
Any reason why this is important?

Last edited:
Not 100% sure but I don’t think that IA would be held against you that much (agree with Mr.Smile12, just make sure to explain it properly). Your MCAT science sections are great but not sure how the 124 in CARS will look for some of the schools on your list. Still worth a shot though. Best of luck
Do you mind if I ask what schools I should avoid based on my 124 CARS score?

They include volunteering at a food pantry, veterans home, Alzheimer's home (200 hours combined), and the rest 50-60 at various organizations in my city over 4 years serving mostly underserved populations. (I might be estimating some of these hours. Could be somewhere from 240-260)
I don't. Should I? I have it in 4 different specialties (onco/benign heme, gastro, cardio).
Clinical volunteering was me going around inpatient wards and giving out books, blankets, toiletries and sometimes reading to patients.
Any reason why this is important?
Get some primary shadowing. Schools like to see it. Just a day or two. It gives you a look at continuity of care and doctor/patient relationships.

I asked about the clinical experience because it should be face to face encounters with the sick, injured and dying. It sounds like you are just fine. But some applicants have lots of hours they consider clinical and they are more administrative or indirect clinical. I think you are fine.