WAMC/School List Help (3.9x sGPA, 519) IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MorePlatesMoreMates

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I think I've narrowed down my school list pretty well but would like any last-minute inputs before I finalize it for good. I would also like some input if I should list my research as a MME if I truly enjoyed it and it did impact me, but I didn't really gain any productivity out of it? My mentor said that he thinks he could use our data to publish a paper by the end of the year and maybe one more by early next year, but this doesn't really help my current situation. Thanks and appreciate it!

1. cGPA 3.94, 3.9x sGPA
  2. MCAT 519 (130/127/130/132)
  3. State of Residence: IA
  4. Race/Ethnicity: White
  5. Undergrad: Large Public Uni (FL)
  6. Clinical experience: 450 hours as CNA (MME), 100 hours surgery/ER volunteer
  7. Research: 600 hours (MME?), no posters/pubs/conferences, gap year research tech job so +1400 hours projected
  8. Shadowing: 40 hours + 40 this summer, Ortho, Optho, Family Med, GI, General Surgery, ENT, ER
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours as food pantry volunteer, may start another gig during my gap year and then just send an update letter to schools that care?
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): 2000 hours weightlifting (MME), 1000 hours wakesurfing/snowboarding/skateboarding, Gen Chem 1 TA 200 hours, gap year activities listed above
  11. Honors/Awards: Cum Laude
School List:
1. University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine
2. UF (Undergrad)
3. University of Minnesota
4. University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
5. University of Nebraska College of Medicine
6. Medical College of Wisconsin (<5% OOS interview)
7. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
8. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (<5% OOS Interview)
9. Georgetown University School of Medicine (6% OOS Interview)
10. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University (6% OOS Interview)
11. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
12. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
13. University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
14. West Virginia University School of Medicine
15. Wayne State University School of Medicine
16. University of Massachusetts T.H. Chan School of Medicine
17. University of Kansas School of Medicine
18. Creighton University School of Medicine
19. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
20. Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
21. Tufts University School of Medicine
22. Mayo Clinic-Rochester MN
23. University of Michigan
24. Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
25. Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
26. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
27. Duke University School of Medicine
28. University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
29. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
30. Boston University Aram V. Chobanian & Edward Avedisian School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

You could remove some of the OOS public schools that admit few non residents with no connection to the state such as Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, West Virginia and North Dakota. You could add any of these schools:
Hofstra
Einstein
USF Morsani
Tufts

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are your Casper/PREview results?
Have not taken either because the majority of my tentative school list here does not require either, but if I finalize my list and even 1 school requires PREview then I can schedule it for June 14 and then just indicate that on my primary.

1. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours as food pantry volunteer, may start another gig during my gap year and then just send an update letter to schools that care?
Do you know which schools welcome those types of update letters? I would do whatever I could to add at least 50 more hours in your food pantry experience before applying, but I don't know how close you are now to hit 150. Your metrics should get you some attention especially with some schools where you are aligned with their mission more closely. (I would hope there is some action from your regional schools closest to Iowa even if you are a little short of 150 hours.)

Do you know which schools welcome those types of update letters? I would do whatever I could to add at least 50 more hours in your food pantry experience before applying, but I don't know how close you are now to hit 150. Your metrics should get you some attention especially with some schools where you are aligned with their mission more closely. (I would hope there is some action from your regional schools closest to Iowa even if you are a little short of 150 hours.)
I personally do not know which schools welcome them. I moved cross country after finishing up my undergrad, so I may start looking for a volunteer gig ASAP here to at least start churning out some hours that I can throw on some secondaries, and then send an update letter later in the cycle to schools once I've substantiated a good amount as well.

I personally do not know which schools welcome them. I moved cross country after finishing up my undergrad, so I may start looking for a volunteer gig ASAP here to at least start churning out some hours that I can throw on some secondaries, and then send an update letter later in the cycle to schools once I've substantiated a good amount as well.
Okay.... use the School-Specific discussions to get a sense of which schools have been receptive to updates.